Archer

What went wrong?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0EkDdSP8xuN
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_&_Favour
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Got stale, too many seasons. Like most shows.

ISIS

They made the same jokes, with the same characters every season. At first it was kinda funny that the characters barely acknowledged the dangerous situations they were in and just bickered, then it just became lame

animated reddit

If they would have changed formula people would have bitched. So they kept with what made them successful and people still bitch that its stale. You're fucked regardless. Just need to go out on top and with people wanting more.

Show should’ve ended with pirate king trilogy

It was a show written by one guy. Writing a comedy alone is insanely hard, so after 2.5 seasons he ran out of ideas and started re-using jokes. Then he got even lazier and instead of developing characters for new jokes he just decided to give them new personalities completely in "dream" seasons.

Also, giving Cyril and Pam more screentime was a death blow to the show, fuck both of them are awful, especially Pam, especially s5 cocked out Pam.

this and it lost its edginess

this right here

you either die a frisky dingo or you live long enough to become archer

They stopped focusing on the mundane parts of running a spy agency. S1 was fantastic in that regard.

I still like the island and the noir one

Hey guise remember when reddit was le devil and le dumb XD

fuck off from the chan broski

I don't even want to look up how many seasons there are now. The first three were good. After that it was dogshit.

It was kinda funny then Archer Vice killed it dead.

based and cat party pilled

haven't watched since vice. but the new space one has my interest peaked

The coma arc

If they wanted to do different shit there was such an easy way

>not having Barry steal AJ and they have to chase him through time
>not capitalizing on Krieger clones plot thread and having them try to take over the world

This show was better when it was Frisky Dingo

It's the same jokes over and over again

Wait didnt he die? How are there so many new seasons?

i haven't watched in 3-4 seasons, is jessica walters still voicing mallory? she was sounding old as hell in the last episodes i saw.

I actually didn't mind Archer Vice, I've heard a lot of people say they hate it
To me season 6 was the most noticeable drop in quality. There are a couple of good episodes in S6/7 but it's mostly pretty unfunny or boring. I haven't bothered to watch the coma seasons. All I know is that from what I've heard even people who like the later seasons say they don't like Danger Island, so I'm guessing it's pretty shit
While I don't mind later seasons I have to agree, there's just something a lot comfier about the first two seasons.

Attached: 1560881179719.jpg (960x1280, 101K)

i really like miami vice but i couldnt understand archer vice

it was disingenuous i think

He's in a coma, season 9 just finished I think

Should've been a 2 season show, but it just kept on going and going.

I disagree with most posts in the thread, Archer's one of the shows which I don't think went massively down in quality at all.

Edgyness has fallen out of season. Now it's all about how woke you can be.

Unironically this

>What went wrong?
1. Adam Reed doesn't watch spy movies or related media but thought he could satirize the genre
2. Inordinate amount of love for Arrested Development's "Catchphrase and Callback" horseshit
3. HARD flanderization of main characters: Archer was a competent, seasoned operative in the first season and quickly became Homer Bond who was essentially just really lucky by the third
4. No endgame in sight so Archer Vice, Archer PI and then coma dream seasons
fX only renewed the show for this season on the condition Reed left and they got better writers.

Yeah, Archer constantly floundering is a seriously obnoxious change. Feels like it defeats the whole character in the first place.

Attached: rabbo.jpg (845x457, 29K)

>le lana
>le lana
>le lana
>Ummmm sweaty what???
>le dangLEr zone
xDDD literally shit myself laughing every time

so

SO

SO INCREDIBLY

SO INCREDIBLY FUCKING FUNNNY HAHAHAHAHHAHAAH
WHAT A GAG
LE DANGER ZONE
HAHAHAH

Attached: 139429986002.jpg (255x255, 13K)

it didn't stay frisky dingo

vocaroo.com/i/s0EkDdSP8xuN

For the whole thing about Archer's character I sort of agree. I haven't watched the last two seasons (8 and 9) so I don't know how he acts in those. But in the earlier couple seasons while he was still pretty impulsive and kind of a manchild at times, he was still pretty competent and actually smarter than he seemed, while in later seasons he's flanderized in to just being a dumbass. They did the opposite with Lana basically, even in the first few seasons she was supposed to be the more serious and rational one, but she was also a crazy neurotic bitch with some issues. In newer seasons they kind of just made her the "smart" one and smug voice of reason.

>talking shit about my waifu

Attached: 1467652175999.gif (300x136, 67K)

Lana still flounders a lot, she's frequently been the one being irrational or making mistakes. Both of them are incompetent spies at this point.

>especially Pam, especially s5 cocked out Pam
the only thing wrong with s5 Pam is that she wasn't fucking everything in sight you faggot

>stopped focusing on the mundane parts of running a spy agency
literally fucking this
S1 didn't have Pam and Cheryl and Cyril trying to become operatives AND IT DIDN'T NEED TO

What's the best set of characters for an episode and why is it Archer, Cyril and Ray together

Attached: gurpgork.jpg (1772x1080, 1.1M)

>Lana still flounders a lot
The mistake they made with her was retconning her into some idiot Mallory found on the street with a head full of idealistic undergraduate politics when it's blatantly obvious they were doing wetwork since day 1.

With Adam gone they're either going to have to write Ray out or replace his VA.

>"I bet my post is CRINGE isn't it?"
Yes it is cringe

Copy-paste jokes, less and less of a focus on the spy stuff.

Also .
They should have structured it more like a sitcom with a lot of silly action sequences rather than an action show with a lot of silly sitcom sequences.

Yeah they never changed the formula at all, fucking moron.

/thread

Season 1 episode 2 is literally about Cyril training to become a field agent and it's one of the best earlier episodes. I think it happens again later in season 3. But overall I agree with what you're saying about Pam, Cheryl and Cyril getting a lot more involved in the missions and stuff, especially since I don't really like Cheryl's character that much anymore. But I dunno, a few episodes where Cyril came along were fine. And as a side note I know that from the beginning Cyril was always supposed to be a pathetic whipped nerd, but I kinda feel like in the later seasons (especially 5 and 6) they were pushing him to be really desperate/begging Lana to take him back?

Attached: bitching.png (400x225, 141K)

Frisky dingo and the xtacles got canceled that's what happened

Attached: 7W1I.gif (499x355, 428K)

Up until S7 I genuinely enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't know why the writer kept writing stories when he clearly didn't want to. There's like 5 major plot hooks that are just dropped.

He's in the trailer for the newest season

Attached: nom.jpg (1280x720, 234K)

show should have kept being mostly a mad men look like thing about their office life with the eventual mission here and there

It kinda fell into the same pothole as Community did where they got lazy/burned-out with the writing and kinda dumbed down every character's personality to like two character traits so there's no nuance left and everyone just becomes a flat joke machine with no real humanity and soul, and then rather than trying to fix that issue they instead just slapped on a lot of stupid extravagant plots and silly situations, never realizing that it's not the backdrop that got boring, it was the characters.

Danger Island is the only bad season.

Frisky Dingo never got stale. that shit was 10/10 every step of the way. Literally perfection.

To ahead of its time. They were going to do 1-2 seasons of the xtacles then bring back frisky dingo for one last season with killface and Xander returning to earth. Shame we never got to see it.
Xtacles was gonna be real good too

Attached: 238e025f6270_352x220.jpg (352x220, 12K)

Kinda wonder if FX meddling had something to do with it. Archer follows a similar writing trajectory as It's always sunny. They over rely on the jokes that were funny one off's in the early seasons.

Why do these shitty "adult" cartoons exist? Same with Bojack Horsehead.

No real adult would be caught dead watching such a childish-looking show.

That's the thing, they would.

Or rather I should say the amount of real adults are far far far smaller than you'd ever thing.

>especially since I don't really like Cheryl's character that much anymore
It says something about a showrunner when they have to radically rework a character just so she can be wacky. Mind you, "Carol" wasn't terribly interesting beyond being the office girl Archher wronged, but scrapping her characterization and backstory completely when they could have just replaced her altogether (and kept the VA) was an omen of what would happen to the show as a whole.

cartoons were originally for adults.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

After about 3 seasons, it started to rely entirely on jokes from previous seasons. It was a good show that just got dragged on for way too long.

>Cyril was always supposed to be a pathetic whipped nerd, but I kinda feel like in the later seasons (especially 5 and 6) they were pushing him to be really desperate/begging Lana to take him back?
They go back and forth with Cyril. He's theoretically a pathetic whipped nerd worried that Lana will go back to Archer, but from almost the very beginning he cheats on Lana left and right, and she breaks up with him when she finds him balls-deep in a hot French girl's anus.

>Le Zoomer I am BOOMER
Gets me every time.

yikes

that was his point

3 coma seasons and I bet the next one will be one too

I was 90% sure while watching that Cyril was going to be a kgb spy and the big bad

these guys haven't written a new joke since sealab

What are you guys talking about? Season 10 has been out for about 3 weeks now. Tomorrow night is episode 4.

no one here has cable tv

I miss the gag where Cyril still managed to have sex with people, and whenever Lana caught his infidelity all he said was "Hello! :)"

Gave up after that one where they were a talent agency.
Obviously anything past like season 3 was kinda weak and just got worse and worse, but it was still a more than watchable lunch-time type show. But with that shitty noir coma thing I just gave up completely.

Fuck you, Danger Island is great. Tiki Island aesthetic is the most undervalued one for storytelling because everyone thinks it's too gauche/chintzy.
Dreamland fucking sucked.

>cartoons are for children
why? give 1 reason that cartoons should be exclusive to children

This space season is repetitive already
One episode had characters react to alien Pams stinky boner like 4 times

They have an internet connection, don't they? They're on kimcartoon already.

They lost the meats

The show stopped being about the whole Spy/Intelligence world. It stopped being interesting after that. They could've kept the whole spy agency theme and maybe introduced more foreign agencies like Mossad, MI6, BND, DGSE etc.

why does cheryl make my pp hard lads

The PI Season was alright. But Danger Island is just autistic people screeching at each other. There's no jokes it's just arguing without any clever wordplay, or absurdism, or callback to previous jokes. Just loud bickering.

>broke
Archer vice killed Archer

>woke
Archer was already stale and the increasingly unhinged scenarios of the latter seasons added life to an otherwise played out show

Frankly I think more shows should do this. Not be bad and use the same jokes over and over but place the characters in entirely different settings with no explanation

Started with Archer Vice, then the switch to L.A. and now it's limping to the finish with it's quasi-anthology seasons.

>place the characters in entirely different settings with no explanation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_&_Favour

Human actors pretending to be things are convincing to you, darling?

Arby's commercials..

Is it good?

Attached: 1527520469999.jpg (500x500, 16K)

terrorists started calling themselves isis

that was meant to teach kids to help defeat the nazis. and to inform them about the war.

It wasn’t Frisky Dingo, first and biggest mistake

I saw somewhere that he last ep of season 10 was called Awakening, but I can't seem to find the source now.
Then again, even if true, could be a red herring.

much better than family guy, simpsons, south park, etc

>Also, giving Cyril and Pam more screentime was a death blow to the show, fuck both of them are awful, especially Pam, especially s5 cocked out Pam.
Well anybody with a sense of humor above bathroom humor stopped watching a while ago. So they're just catering to the audience that's left.

>Kinda wonder if FX meddling had something to do with it. Archer follows a similar writing trajectory as It's always sunny. They over rely on the jokes that were funny one off's in the early seasons.
I think that's it right there. Also with both of those shows, the creators wanted to quit long ago.

Never take the creators at their word when they're happy to keep cashing the fucking checks

Good point. That's also a way to save face when creating garbage. "well, I really want to do broadway, not this lowbrow stuff."

I'm someone who actually liked Danger Island (contrary to nearly everyone else's opinions, apparently) but the new sci-fi season...nah. It's dull and stale, I've given up on it.

A sci-fi setting could have been good but the writing is just weak as fuck, and the whole thing feels tedious and forced.

mate seriously, these cartoons were for adults