The Troubled Production History Of DARK PHOENIX

>DARK PHOENIX was greenlit as a two-parter. The first movie would focus on Jean losing control of her powers, with the X-Men fighting to protect her and the Brotherhood of Mutants trying to kill her, and end with the battle in the streets of New York. The second part would focus on Jean’s transformation into the Phoenix and the arrival of the Shi’ar to kill her before she threatens the entire universe, and end with a massive battle between the X-Men and the Shi'ar armada in the United Nations.

>The two movies were to be filmed back-to-back, and the plan was to film the main action setpieces first. So the United Nations Battle set, the largest of any X-film, and the New York Street Battle set were all being built.

>Two months before principal photography, Fox and Disney began negotiating the merger. Fox slashed the project's budget and told Simon Kinberg and his team to scale it down to one movie. They had to rewrite the entire script, condensing pieces and ideas from the old drafts while cutting out characters, storylines and setpieces.

>Kinberg realized it would be a mistake to include the Shi'ar in the new script, as he wouldn't be able to explore their origin and they would steal the spotlight away from Jean, so they were changed into generic alien invaders, who were made into shapeshifters pretending to be human to save costs on CGI/prosthetics.

>Jessica Chastain signed to play Lilandra, the empress of the Shi'ar. She was an antagonist, but not a villain, and wanted to destroy the Phoenix to protect the cosmos. Her relationship with Xavier would be explored, and she would part on good terms with the X-Men. When the scripted changed, they had to delay her from shooting while they figured out who she would play and how she would be involved. Chastain started two and a half months after all the other actors had started.

Attached: 1.jpg (480x480, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aSdW24KhyJQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>While they managed to rewrite the first two acts before principal photography, they had to start shooting without a proper third act.

>Chastain's character was still named "Lilandra" after rewrites, although she was no longer a Shi'ar. Kinberg realized that was a mistake and left the character and her species nameless up until close to release, when they ADR'd dialogue identifying them as Vuk and the D'Bari, respectively.

>Magneto's enforcers were going to be Psylocke and Sunfire, played by Olivia Munn and Rain, but they both dropped out due to scheduling conflicts, and the characters were cut for being too expensive. They were replaced by Selene and Red Lotus, whose powers were cheaper to animate. Their actors were originally an extra and a stuntman, respectively.

>The New York/United Nations sets were already partially built, and they didn't have enough money to build new ones, so the scenes had to be included in the new script, but heavily scaled down and with several key players missing.

>Due to the delays for rewrites Magneto, Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler and Quicksilver had to be written out of the United Nations battle, since their actors were unavailable. In the original cut, the characters are arrested after the New York Battle in the second act.

>The original cut ends with the alien flagship attacking the United Nations headquarters while Jean, Cyclops and Xavier help people get to safety. The Alien Queen arrives and announces that Earth is theirs. Jean becomes the Phoenix, disintegrates the Alien Queen, destroys the flagship and sacrifices herself to blow up the approaching alien armada.

>Test-audiences didn't like the original third act for being slow, bloated and missing half the cast, so Fox ordered reshoots to streamline the narrative, add more action and feature all the X-Men fighting together.

Attached: 2.jpg (480x270, 34K)

>Fox originally wanted to redo the United Nations battle with all the X Men present, but the sets had been long destroyed, and rebuilding them was too timely and costly, so they settled for the train battle, which was predominantly shot on a soundstage.

>Quicksilver was kept out of most of the movie because the actor was unavailabe for the reshoots. He originally had a much bigger role and Magneto would find out he's his son.

>The movie was scheduled for November 2018, but had to be delayed due to the reshoots. Fox wanted to release it on February 2019 while Kinberg urged for a later date, since February wouldn’t give them enough time to edit, score and add effects. Fox scheduled it for February anyway.

>Fox eventually realized Kinberg was right. James Cameron was worried about ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL going up against AQUAMAN and BUMBLEBEE in December 2018, so Fox switched it to February and delayed DARK PHOENIX to June.

>Fox wanted a trailer to be released in order to soften the delay. The trailer would be the official announcement for the new date. Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cut the trailer accidentally left the original February release, and Fox had to make an official announcement the day after.

>Kinberg tried to convince Fox to change the date again to an off-season month like February was, since the movie was not strong enough for the prime blockbuster rush, but Fox ignored him.

>Most of the marketing team was fired during the merger, leaving the movie largely unpromoted up until a month before release, when Disney officially took over and gave it a last-minute push.

>Ahead of release and already anticipating failure, Fox cut a lot of footage to trim the running time and squeeze in more showings per day.

Attached: 3.jpg (1200x800, 227K)

Fox really was a mistake.

Attached: Dude wat.jpg (1200x500, 116K)

>reacting to your own thread

Just an addendum.

So they decided to push it from competing with Aquaman and Bumblebee to competing with Endgame, the biggest comic book movie of the decade? Smart move, coupled with that aggressively mediocre marketing campaign. No wonder it flopped

In other words, this franchise not only had its legs cut off at the knees the second Fox and Disney started talking, it was given a shovel, told to dig its own grave, and then given two behind the ear USSR style.

The Mouse is the harbinger of ruin.

You can't read.

X2, Days of Future Past and Logan remain the only X-Movies not to be plagued by unbeliavable amounts of behind-the-scenes executive meddling, it seems.

It was originally slated for end of 2018, regardless of Alita, retard. Would’ve been a far more appropriate release date than fucking one month after Endgame

Attached: all that shit.jpg (392x500, 54K)

It's three posts, ya bum.

So, basically Fox were being a bunch of retards and killed their only bankable franchise because fucking DISNEY

Also, I wonder if Mystique getting killed was in the original script or if Jlaw said "fuck this shit" and demanded her character be killed after seeing what a mess the production was.

It was in the original script, but I believe it was supposed to happen later into the story and be the big cliffhanger of Part 1.

Alita was slated for December, Dark Phoenix for February.

Oh man, this is more hilarious than Fant4stic ! I'm a Marvelchad, but I love this shit.

Also...

>Selene and Red Lotus

WHO IN THE FUCK?! Names do sound familiar, but I hope to god they did not make the final cut. Why even give Magneto enforcers, he doesn't need that shit.

>Marvelchad
>marvel
>Chad
Pick one you fucking faggot

You're smoking crack if you think Brett Ratner done a better job

>anticipating failure, Fox cut a lot of footage to trim the running time and squeeze in more showings per day

The fuck sort of reasoning is that? What's the point of more showings per day if the movie is worse/less substantial and fewer people want to see it?

On my way out of the theater my first thought was actually that the movie seemed too short, felt like it only had a 2-act structure and a lot of it felt rushed and edited down too much

Attached: 1413496542005.jpg (499x499, 27K)

tl;dr

woah you actually went to see it? holy fuck

I pick...
>Marvelchad

That was easy. No need for name calling, my dude. You can be a Marvelchad too, you just have to have sex and watch Marvel flicks. It's that easy.

More showings per day means more potential asses in seats simply because people work different schedules.

Does it make much difference in the end? Probably not, but if you're going to go for the 'shotgun' approach for grabbing ticket revenue, then you might as well get as wide a spread as possible.

Attached: zPxr8.jpg (1280x856, 127K)

Can't wait for the REAL X-Men movies.

Jesus Disney. The LEAST you could have done is send the franchise out with some dignity

Please. If they couldn't have Captain America fight actual Nazis in First Avenger aint no way they are going to have a scene with Magneto at Auschwitz like in the first movie or first class.

Me too. I can't wait for the quips and all round classic Disney formula. Thank you, Disney!

Yes, for completion's sake because I and the sibling I saw it with have liked all the other recent X-Mens

Some of the reviews indicated a so-bad-it's-good quality but even in that regard it was disappointing.
Would have been at least somewhat satisfied if Evan Peters had been available for reshoots, Quicksilver wasn't put in a coma for half the movie, and pic related plot thread got some resolution

Attached: magneto_quicksilver_family_too.jpg (540x524, 102K)

wait you guys liked apocalypse? sorry bro that film killed any hope to begin with you could tell just how crap sansa is as an actress

My guess is the MCU version will completely skip the "mutant history" element and find an excuse for mutants to suddenly start appearing in the present day
Maybe radiation from the repeated gauntlet snaps is what causes the mutations?

Wouldn't call Apocalypse good but it's far more substantial and entertaining than Dark Phoenix and has a lot of redeeming elements

Well yes and no, there was also the merger that made things much worst ... in fact it was the merger that started all the problems with the movie with starting of cutting the budget.

The whole thing should been either go ahead on the initial premises or shelved.

All this for an x men movie. Then when all is said and done, the mouse fires progressivism shots into its dying carcass. Rip

>Disney Marvel movies don't flo-

It flopped because it's NOT Disney and they own enough critics

>left the character and her species nameless up until close to release, when they ADR'd dialogue identifying them as Vuk and the D'Bari, respectively.
what a load of fucking garbage

Ultimately, these four X-men movies feel like a missed opportunity. For every great thing they did, they did two dumb or average things.
I'm open to what Disney will try because at least they'll get fair shots at flushing out the storylines.
They'll never find someone as good as Hugh Jackman to play Wolverine, or the young/old Xaviers and Magnetos.

>Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cut the trailer accidentally left the original February release
How can not one person in the chain catch this? Seriously

>talks shit about movies hes never seen
You are a fucking retard

All of this babble is to deflect from the fact that dumb fucking ho that is the star of the movie is a total shit actress and no one wants to see her

haha sure i didnt see it but you could tell from the first trailer to the last it was shit and two completely different movies, its good that youre proud of seeing it though...

Is the hate towards Sophie from pissed off GoT fans or Disney anons?

It's obvious that Disney purposely fucked it up so they can do a fresh reboot of the franchise.

no shes bad like kstew bad, worse part is i think shes kind of like that in real life

Movie has a lot of problems but Sophie's performance is not one of them, her acting is fine actually, clearly improved since Apocalypse, she just doesn't have the best material to work with

why don't they make it 60 minutes long and double the showings then? instant profits right?

>for completion's sake
he saw the others too AHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHHAHHHAA

Attached: now this.jpg (500x329, 39K)

what about new mutants

I think Fox forgot about it.

Kinberg -says- it's getting reshoots later this year and will be released in theaters April 3, 2020.

Given what a massive failure Dark Phoenix is it's more likely they edit together what they have into something barely watchable and shit it out onto Hulu or Disney+

Well, they're fucked, but I guess that was obvious for a while.

>reshoots
after its released and bombed?

Morality: don't do capeshit nor star wars straight after a successful tv show

Attached: 1507849493582.jpg (500x500, 26K)

>making Dark Pheonix on a five dollar budget and crammed into a single movie
What could possibly go wrong?!!

Have sex, Nazi.

What is going through Sophie Turner's head right now?

too many britbongs. get the fuck off the screen, you make everyone sad.

circumcised cock

hopefully a big dong

semitic urine

newfag here; lucky guess or how could you tell?

Attached: archie-1.jpg (490x394, 49K)

To be fair, a few select parts of Dark Phoenix are actually impressive.

The space shuttle rescue sequence feels like it has some decent production value. If only the rest of the movie could have maintained that level of quality

Did anyone go? I need an honest review. Today is probably the last day and opportunity to go for me.

It's amazing. Don't listen to the bad reviews, you have to see this in the theater

>x2

>no executive meddling

Idiot, did you know they planned to use sentinels in that before a exec famously said giant robots would not make money?

Mmmmh, I wonder who's sitting behind that post

Giant robots with 2003-era CGI probably wouldn't have made money, so that exec wasn't wrong.

Turner should have stopped at GoT, she wasn't very hot in this movie and her being hot is pretty much the only reason anyone watches her. She needs to film more rape seens IMO.

X-men ended with Logan for me.

who gives a shit? they should have shown more of that hot redhead and had her twerking.

This is a very ugly movie poster

>more rape scenes
Have sex incel

Even I told you it was great you wouldn't believe me. Disney is smart as fuck calling positive reviews for the film shilling

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney rips off the original idea for the two movies as part of the MCU reboot in a few years when they do the Dark Phoenix plot for the third time.

Shoulda done a complete reboot after Logan

You don't actually think Logan is better than First class, right?

I see in the future Disney X men worse than the last stand but will have 100% on rotten tomatoes

Nah, just the way you structured it seemed more like you wanted to make fun of it. So you thought it was good?

I thought it was great. But then again I saw the first X men in cinemas and watched them ever since. The good outweighs the bad is the best answer. It's impossible to be more shitty than The last stand and origins

Just watch the camrip. Don't get pissed at me if you spend money and hate it

didn't they already do phoenix saga like 15 years ago? Xmen is truly shit.

thanks user, it sounds just alright and enough for my liking. Something what I would expect probably. I'll give it a shot.

Cinema here is quite cheap, 7 quid. And another chance to sneak in stuff and boast and scream at the screen, Indian style.

Attached: 1556140737228.png (645x909, 626K)

>spamming your clickbait article here

Attached: 1523849517479.jpg (1242x2208, 386K)

what a shitshow, it's amazing any movie was made at all out of this

>have to put up with constant meddling from retard producers that don't know how to do anything right
>your entire script goes in the shredder as production starts
>J Law being an insufferable bitch every single day
would directing this mess still be worth the millions?

damn shame
>In the original cut, the characters are arrested after the New York Battle in the second act.
that is what happens
>>Test-audiences didn't like the original third act for being slow, bloated and missing half the cast, so Fox ordered reshoots to streamline the narrative, add more action and feature all the X-Men fighting together.
I think this explains how the movie could have a budget of 200 million with so little in it
>>Fox originally wanted to redo the United Nations battle with all the X Men present, but the sets had been long destroyed, and rebuilding them was too timely and costly, so they settled for the train battle, which was predominantly shot on a soundstage.
it looks very cheap, and is lit darkly
>>Quicksilver was kept out of most of the movie because the actor was unavailabe for the reshoots.
Yes totally absent

This is just a train wreck, no pun intended, of behind the scenes meddling
Why why why don't they learn this shit never ever produces a good film and still they keep doing it?

This had nothing to do with Disney read it again its all Fox executives going fucking crazy

I think she didn't want to do more but was convinced to come back for a death, actors always like a good death scene

its a dude with dreadlocks that he can control like tentacles and bald chick that does... I dunno what exactly
people don't learn until a few days after
so you have several days before word spreads
during which you can get more screenings
and more customers
same reason JL was cut to 120 minutes

Disney wasn't responsible for what Fox did to it

Just the unnecessary reviews and shills

>Disney controls reviewers

Attached: 3893.jpg (292x234, 13K)

I enjoyed reading this. Looks like you could put a monkey in charge and it would do a better job. Any more disaster stories like this?

its basically a repeat of Justice League

The all time greatest disaster story would be Terry Gilliams Brazil because Gilliam managed to troll and shame the studio into abandoning their efforts to ruin the film and release it uncut
youtube.com/watch?v=aSdW24KhyJQ

the program 4chanx lets people see what posts are yours

JLaw's death scene was hilarious bad and underwhelming

I think you mean X3. That was the one with a bit of a Danger Room thing and the head of a giant robot as a compromise. At least, that's how I remember it.

should honestly just have focused on quicksilver since his introduction, fuck this stupid jean grey shit

Producers only see dollar signs

that actually sounds plausible

lots of cocaine

So Disney literally bullied them until it got destroyed? Fucking heinous.

Imagine signing up just to have some sort of "appearance" in the movie, and then you get turned into an actor. Did the extra and stuntman get paid more?

Attached: 1540640202630.gif (100x100, 26K)

It was delayed because of reshoots retard, that's why it was gonna get February initially until James flexed.

Is that why Disney still put in some dough for ads on its last push when they could have just let it sink on its own?

>If I take the argument to an extreme, that proves you wrong!

Release the Kinberg Cut!

even with all the money and time in the world the movie would have still sucked with the ugly cast

man mcavoy and fassbender were perfectly cast but they were completely wasted
Out of 4 of these movies only 1 of them was any good

>First Class
>Days of Future Past
both great. also who’s bright idea was it to make each film ten years apart. at this rate charles and magneto should be in their 50’s/60’s

Disney wanted it to fail, because they are going to reboot it.

Then Disney will be heralded as saviors of the xmen franchise.

This. FoX-Men movies were so fucking good before this, it can't be explained any other way.

>Olivia Munn dropped out
Ah what a shock, after how great her character was in Apocalypse. I bet that was really a tough decision on her part.

She was a good girl. Wanted a comics-accurate slutty costume and everything.

Audiences won’t pay the same amount for a sixty-minute movie that they could on something longer. Nowadays even family films get close to 100 minutes just so the investment seems worth it.

>42
Hot immortal vampire in comics. Bald henchwoman in this film. Thanks Fox.

Attached: Inner_Circle_(Selene)_(Earth-616)_and_Selene_Gallio_(Earth-616)_from_X-Necrosha_Vol_1_1_0001.jpg (421x640, 62K)

Hail the Black Queen, bitches.

Attached: Selene.jpg (860x1468, 150K)

Magneto summons his bald henchmen.

Attached: X_Men_Dark_Phoenix_Marvel_Selene_Kota_Eberhardt.jpg (628x380, 212K)

Okay Fox. I do not forgive you.

This is just hilarious how they still decided to go with it when it was obvious it was a disaster in the making.

...Why?

How come these movies don't make girls hot like what we saw in the funny books?

Attached: Jean Grey Black Queen.png (510x516, 465K)

In MCU it will be nigress

it's time for another x-men reset. let it rest for 5 years and reboot it.

>capeshit
>female lead
>Sophie Turner
Yeah, that will be a yikes from me

Attached: 1541139061378.jpg (400x352, 36K)

I never understood this? Why race-swap a random mutant? Couldn't you just use a mutant that had the skin color you wanted? There are like, a thousand of the buggers, there's got to be at least one that fits the diversity quota's exact needs.

A throwaway name for a throwaway character.