Just finished this..... What did I think?

Just finished this..... What did I think?

Attached: theterror.jpg (3200x2400, 2.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=js0haocH4-o
youtube.com/watch?v=zYg8rEDT1RU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you liked it

Pretty blasted good. I'm interested in the second series and I wonder what they'll do with it.

Attached: 1559969085479.jpg (349x326, 61K)

You're thinking you ought to give me all your life savings.

Don't think so lad

>IF YOU NEED TO RIDE IN A DAMN BOAT I'LL PUT YOU THERE MYSELF

Attached: 1520479693981.png (400x400, 129K)

>"Captain!"

Attached: DdxIaYiU8AA1YQn.png (1200x600, 356K)

Attached: 1558237426228.png (407x275, 181K)

Jopson, Fitzjames and Goodsir all had tearjerker deaths but Jopson dying alone was the worst.

It was damn good stuff.

that it would have been great if not for that silly supernatural polar bear.

It was fantastic. I thought the last episode was a bit disappointing but it was always going to be difficult to end.

I honestly liked the last episode, the final confrontation was kino enough to make up for anything else.

I liked it too but I wish they had followed the book a bit more. Crozier getting with Silna would have been pretty good along with AMC's The Terror dying from Hickey's evil soul.

I mean, I understand why they didn't do it that way as it's more depressing the way it was done and the soul thing wasn't really expanded on too much.

I didn't like the bear plot. I thought it was interesting enough without it.

*runs away to ruin your plans*

Attached: 1523715244332.gif (350x197, 1.25M)

DON'T TOUCH THAT GRAPHITE MR HICKEY

THAT'LL BE 2000 ROENTGEN HICKEY! TO BE TAKEN AS A BOY!

GET BACK HERE MISTER HICKEY

Attached: 1542669431782.png (367x488, 123K)

>tfw you realize Hickey was Jack the ripper, showing away on a ship under a false name to escape London

you thought it was 10 times better than Chernobyl and at least twice as good as true detective s1
you also wish Quarry did not get cancelled

The main narrative reason for the Tuunbaq was to have dramatic shit happen before they left the ships. They spent two whole years trapped in the ice. Without the bear it would just be several episodes of cleaning the ships and taking measurements.

That's why after disappearing for a couple of episodes it comes back to attack the camp. It's simply speeding up the inevitable and adding some action for the audience/ readers.

>Without the bear it would just be several episodes of cleaning the ships and taking measurements.

I'd unironically watch that too with the cast and atmosphere.

No man too soon.

Francis was on his way back man,

You thought it was poorly paced with bland characters you could barely tell apart relying on a bait and switch premise to get initial viewers into the show, promising a tense story of horror about a desperate and starving crew trapped in an endless night while spooky happenings go on but instead finding out that no one panics or acts hungry until the plot demands it and that spooky happenings are all in the first episode and thereafter every pissweak attempt to be scary is just having a literal manbearpig show up and do something stupid whenever the writer remembered that the show wasn't supposed to be a bunch of bored looking actors doing nothing.

Nice headcannon there, faggot. Kys

You loved it user.

>Without the bear it would just be several episodes of cleaning the ships and taking measurements.

Imagine if the writers remembered that these guys were supposed to be starving and slowly beginning to uffer from lead poisoning and instead of acting like a stoic well fed crew out for a quick jaunt around the Mediterranean they actually acted like starving frigthened men with lead soaked brains seeing demons on the ice without any real hint to whether the monsters were in fact real or the delusions of poisoned dying men. In other words, imagine if this was actually a good show.

Based show that mags a fag the villian

Gotta love Jared Harris.

Attached: The Terror S01E07 Clip.webm (1280x720, 2.44M)

Everything you need to figure it out was on screen.

I think Crozier getting with Silna wouldn't have worked in the show because they emphasized her connection to Goodsir. It would have felt unnatural and forced for her and the captain to be together. Also I think it could be argued that Tuunbaq did die from Hickey's soul.

I liked it just cause the frozen boats in the water. Wild stuff. Can't believe some brave men actually did this.

Neat idea but Jack the Ripper was active in the late 1880s, couldn't have been Hickey.

I think Hickey was a bit too clever and got away with a bit too much to be honest, he was too over the top compared to the rest of the fairly grounded and complex cast.

but /k/ said you couldn't beat a gun with a knife

kek no. /k/ is half retarded. can close the distance if their in like 10ft of u. if you don't already have it drawn of course. youtube.com/watch?v=js0haocH4-o

many family in LE.

21 foot rule, user

based

Tuunbaq was already choking from what's his face that he ate before Hickey. Irving got kind of close to Silna in the books and that didn't really stop anything. I see what you mean, but I don't know. I like both.

I really just enjoyed the theme of the thing but it wasn't that great.

That's fair. I never read the book so I couldn't say. Tuunbaq was I think succumbing to all of the injuries that the crew inflicted upon him anyway, as each time we see him he's more emaciated and ragged. It seems like a combination of injury, choking on a body, Hickey's black soul, Goodsir's poison and Crozier choking him out. It was all too much.

Regardless this series was like a 9.5/10 for me. So, so well done and I've just started Chernobyl, only one episode in but it's good too.

onyl worst show than this piece of r*ddit shit is bbc's modern day sherlock

a lot of different things contributed to the Tuunbaq's death
>eating bodies filled with lead for years
>ate 40 forks that were strapped to Blankly
>choked on the chains
>ate Hickey's nasty homo soul

Oh yeah I didn't even think about the lead, and I guess Blanky's forks didn't help either.

I don't think Tuunbaq really changed. He barely looked injured to me but I may have to go back and watch it. Did he even eat Goodsir? He was literally just killing them 99% of the time. Goodsir was already dead so the balance was kind of restored there. At the same time, I wonder if he would have killed Goodsir. Tuunbaq was KIND OF in cahoots with the [shaman]. Silna was attempting to control Tuunbaq in a way. In the show, she was friendly (enough) with Goodsir and Crozier so I wonder if that's one reason they were never killed (by the Tuunbaq) or if it was all just random killing. He did kill the sergeant of the royal marines first, if I remember correctly. The one who shot the shaman.

I loved how sickly and disgusting the food here looked. Like something out of a bad fever dream.

it looked like a couple wounds were infected too, especially that rocket shot on its shoulder. those forks probably fucked it up badly from internal bleeding.
not him but maybe he ate someone who ate Goodsir? i don't remember.

fuck, first part meant for

He changed quite a bit, there's a gif or webm floating around somewhere comparing him episode by episode and he gets noticeably thinner and worn out and you can see that his wounds haven't healed. He didn't eat Goodsir, but he ate the men who ate Goodsir's poisoned body. It's a bit of a stretch because I imagine it wouldn't have acted fast enough to hurt Tuunbaq but maybe it contributed. I really don't know if he would have killed Goodsir either, it's an interesting question that would have been cool to see on-screen. As for the relationship between Silna, the shaman and Tuunbaq, I'm glad that they didn't lay out exactly the nature of the arrangement.

My take was that it's a spirit that the shamans can influence to either protect them, leave them alone, or hunt for them. But with the death of Silna's father the entire relationship was thrown off. Neat thing with the tongue offering, though, and I said this above, I think it's a bit too clever that Hickey figured that one out. Or "figured it out" because he did not understand the context of the ritual at all.

I have no fucking clue how Hickey knew about the tongue offering thing.

That’s what I was trying to figure out. One minute he’s going crazy from eating human flesh to ripping his tongue for the bear. The only thing I could think of was him trying to feed the bear but a tongue didn’t make sense

I will have to give it another watch. I was personally too enamoured with the wood furniture and stuff. Everything about the aesthetic was great.

I don't remember him really eating anyone. They were just seriously mangled and massacred. At least in the book. I could be wrong. He was killing and eating other animals to deny them food.

did ciaran's chin distract anyone else? it's literally spilling out of his uniform

The last fight where Crozier strangles him is on youtube, he looks pretty rough there.

can't wait for all the whining about it being focused on american concentration camps

I hope they emphasize the light paranormal elements more. The first episode is a perfect balance of just tiny touches of the supernatural. Trying to make a social point is the wrong way to go.

My assumption is that he found out that the shaman didn't have a tongue, and then he saw Lady Silence at the carnival and afterwards without a tongue, and he thought that all along the Netsilik Inuit were controlling Tuunbaq. So in his delusions he thought he could control the thing by giving it his tongue. But, yes, again this was a stretch for me to believe. Hickey was too clever and I think the show suffered a bit from pumping him up.

Honestly it should win awards in production design or at the very least should be a lesson for everyone wanting to make a period piece. Every single detail is absolutely nailed.

Sir John was a hefty fellow. He was 59 when the expedition began.

>named goodsir
>is overall a good guy
wow really come on . . .

Attached: Henry_Goodsir.png (852x1112, 1.54M)

And I forgot to attach the picture. This was taken at the behest of Lady Franklin just before the expedition. Daguerrotypes of several crew were taken, too, including Crozier, Fitzjames and Goodsir. In fact it was the photograph of Goodsir that allowed researchers to confirm the identity of a skeleton that was recovered by a search party not long after the expedition went missing. The Admiralty concluded that it was Le Visconte but we know that that isn't the case.

In any event his remains are buried in the memorial to the expedition at the Old Royal Navy College in Greenwich.

Attached: sir john franklin daguerrotype.jpg (463x578, 58K)

He truly was a Good Sir.

Attached: harry goodsir.jpg (859x1024, 222K)

Agreed. When they all split after the escape and people were still following I was confused as to why any sensible person would trust that bastard with being their party leader. Would have shot the fuck and ate him first.

I haven't read the book but I do know that Hickey did mutiny in it, so I guess they couldn't have just not done that plot point considering it's pretty major. But I would have loved if he scrambled off into the camp and tried to get his men back on his side and they would've told him to fuck off, or whatever.

>goodsir
>is a goodsir
>morfin
>is in pain
>gore
>gets gored
>hickey
>gives men hickies
>tuunbaq
>wants them to turn back
>jobson
>did a good job, son
>lady silence
>doesnt talk
what the fuck were they thinking?

Attached: 1559110308794.jpg (462x434, 16K)

>blanky
>ice master, literally master of a blank landscape
Come on now.

Someone explain to me what happens to your soul if the Tuunbaq gets ya

I would like to think that you're just obliterated. Your soul is gone, there is no chance of an afterlife. It's better than thinking that you go to some Inuit hell and are tortured forever.

I thought it was a completely wasted use of a setting/theme and not very good.
Actors were good, good performances, but I did not care for the script/story
I also still don't understand the point of the magical bear. I guess I didn't get it. Why not just an actual bear or something? And if they're going to have a mystical monster, why such a retarded one?

I Just didn't get it.

I was expecting to see some cthulu stuff.

Pretty dissapointing.

>watching this in a dark room in a blanket in bed and holding a hot cup of tea
mmmmm
comfy cold kino

Why does it do that to normal people but not people with dark souls? That’s not very nice.

The underwater dive scene made me think it was going in that direction which probably would have been a lot more interesting.

I know what I think. who gives a fuck about you think?

I couldn't tell you user, it's been a long time since I've had a chat with the Tuunbaq.

It was overall pretty good, and you were particularly happy to see Caesar and Brutus reunited, at least briefly.

did they have the scenes back in england just so they could have women? they weren't bad but felt pointless

Never heard of the Roman saying "nomen omen" ?

I realized watching this that Ciarin Hinds can't really act.
The scenes with him and Jared Harris make that painfully clear.

The story would have worked a lot better if he had actually managed to carry some humanity into his role and make his character interesting and empathetic despite being a shithead.

Attached: ciaran-hinds-premiere-political-animals-01.jpg (700x1000, 220K)

Historically an important part of the Franklin expedition, and the reason it has been kept in popular conscious, was that Franklin's wife heavily encouraged the Admiralty to try to find them. They set out a rich bounty for anyone who could. To the point that more men died looking for Franklin then had died on the original expedition.

When finally a Scotsman returned with news that he spoke to the Inuit and they told him the Franklin Expedition survivors ended up cannibalizing eachother. Franklin's wife and the Admiralty refused to believe it as it shattered their image of them all being noble englishmen.

It was more to make a point about the politics of the empire. How the expedition wasn't just a group of men, but a manifestation of colonial British will.
Because the expedition really fucked over the local people. They say the ship scares away their hunting so they're starving. Hickey murdering them and turning his men against them is probably the worst thing done in the show. And the conclusion of the show is that their leader rejects his own culture for the indigenous one in which he finds a kind of simpler peace amongst the 'savages'.

But having the incompetent admiralty in London shows that it's not just British who don't care about native peoples, but the aristocratic British don't care about their own men either. As they're not prepared to put resources into rescuing them.
You could also look at it that Sir Johns arrogance around destiny from God also extends to the admiralty.

I think these themes largely went over the heads of Yea Forums though because i never see them discussed.

>He died angry and alone

Attached: 1483156873193.jpg (663x579, 39K)

Like I disagree and stuff

>youtube.com/watch?v=zYg8rEDT1RU

Attached: 1557885811786.jpg (600x766, 137K)

Worse. He died thinking he was betrayed. This starving man pushing away a feast just to get closer to the Captain. Awful, awful, awful.

He got more and more disheveled and injured in every appearance

Attached: 050F919D-1EF6-4C82-9829-BD8350B3929F.gif (340x191, 913K)

That last image is just sad

Attached: 47626501-CF6C-4592-AC24-0308A2F7C517.jpg (436x536, 51K)

>Terror season 2
>has nothing to do with Terror

Why?

book tuunbaq survives and is immortal

The terror season one could’ve easily been two seasons.

Good boy

Attached: 530992B5-4179-41C9-B4F5-C9628AF723A5.gif (500x294, 85K)

Sure, but I'm referring to the concentration camp stuff.

>tfw no mystical mute asian native mommy gf who will feed me her breastmilk and then ride my virgin fat pink mast and make me cum 3 or 8 times

Attached: Nive-Nielsen-WEB-732x384.jpg (732x384, 27K)

Great show, fucked up the major rule of monster movies, don't over show the monster.

They’re called internment camps

:3

He showed up 4 times over 10, 45 minute episodes.

It was the perfect amount of screen time

Attached: 0C0BA688-601F-48C4-AF6F-D2196E8A9407.jpg (1280x722, 100K)

>scary scenes on the ice at night
>monster is in the darkness
>no actual shadows or blacks

what did The Terror's shit lighting mean by this?

Attached: The Thing vs The Terror.jpg (1915x452, 47K)

>That's why after disappearing for a couple of episodes it comes back to attack the camp
Don't assign your lack of paying attention over on supposed bad writing. It came back because they killed the inuit family. It wa always tied to some retribution.

It's really not that difficult. It is easy to infer that a monster bear attacking just around the times of hurting natives and knowing she cut out her tongue. Besides, it is never stated that he knew exactly what cutting the tongue out would do, it was a hail Mary move. I mean just try to put yourself in the situation. If you knew the monster was connected to the natives and you knew she cut out her tongue you would probably try anything in the face of death.

well yeah, because that's stupid

disappoint us