Art biopics

Rembrandt is one of my favourites, but what are some others?

Attached: hirst-still-1024x591.jpg (1024x591, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwatching
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I still haven't been able to watch Goya's Ghost.

Artists are some of the best people to make films about I'd have thought, but there just aren't many artists' lives films.

Mr. Turner

Phantom Thread kinda

Thank you, yes! What a great film. Nothing like him though, but still good.

>ywn be with bar wench at your lap while you drink beer and make a masterpiece painting about it.

Not biopics but all should view “rivers and tides” doc about artist Andy goldsworthy and “touch the sound” doc about deaf percussionist Evelyne glennie. Both will change your life.

Wait, that looks like a doc rather than a biopic.

Rembrandt being the 1936 Alexander Korda film? If so, YESSSSSS great movie.

Negatory.

Good point. Most artist kino that I'm aware of are documentary, not biographical dramatisations.

I am very smart.

Well, the landmark in biopics of artists is Peter Watkins' Edvard Munch.

At eternitys gate was pretty good

Directed by an actual painter i think

>Artists are some of the best people to make films about I'd have thought

Lol

Maybe Gauguin or Byron or something. Most of them just sit around.

>Byron
gr8 b8

Awesome recommend! Never heard of it!

>He travelled extensively across Europe, especially in Italy, where he lived for seven years in the cities of Venice, Ravenna and Pisa. During his stay in Italy he frequently visited his friend and fellow poet Percy Bysshe Shelley.[5] Later in life Byron joined the Greek War of Independence fighting the Ottoman Empire, for which Greeks revere him as a national hero.[6] He died in 1824 at the age of 36 from a fever contracted in Missolonghi.

Often described as the most flamboyant and notorious of the major Romantics, Byron was both celebrated and castigated in his life for his aristocratic excesses, which included huge debts, numerous love affairs with both men and women, as well as rumours of a scandalous liaison with his half-sister.[7] One of his lovers, Lady Caroline Lamb, summed him up in the famous phrase "mad, bad, and dangerous to know". His only legitimate child, Ada Lovelace, is regarded as the first computer programmer based on her notes for Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine.[8][9][10] Byron's illegitimate children include Allegra Byron, who died in childhood, and possibly Elizabeth Medora Leigh.

I know who Byron is, he was a poet, not an artist, which is the subject... of this... thread... assman.

Happy viewing trips user!

Eh, there are a lot, they just kind of get overlooked like historical dramas or lowkey romances. And most are European films, and are more about a romance the artist had. Plus they're mostly about 19th Century or early 20th Century artists.

Personally I'm not interested in them because biopics can never do a person justice, over-fictionalize, and really so much of what makes up an artist's life wont make it into the movie.
That said artists are interesting people with interesting lives and kind of contradicting what I just said, just capturing their world can be interesting and just a nice experience. Rohmer movies actually capture a lot of it. Interesting, pretty people having deep conversations and going on walks and going to openings. Blue is the Warmest Color actually captured a bit of it too.

But a big part of their lives is just being at home or in the studio working alone.

There is actually a whole literary genre of the artist's life, which I took a class on in art school. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Sorrows of Young Werther, To the Lighthouse, The Unknown Masterpiece, Tonio Kroger, etc.

Attached: 510rEMNwiGL._SY445_.jpg (308x445, 23K)

Attached: caravaggio-1986-007-fight-with-knives.jpg (1000x816, 102K)

I'm not particularly a Basquiat fan but that movie Basqiat is actually pretty good.

I would really just watch docs though mostly because that gets into their actual work and what they think about, rather than some fictionalized affair with a housemaid or whatever.

>rather than some fictionalized affair with a housemaid or whatever

And it always takes some stupid angle like whoahis whole body of work was inspired by conversations or romantic moments with a woman he loved SO MUCH. In other words, they're mostly just 'Shakespeare in Love'-style romance movies

There are some great biopics, you just have to be selective.

>Edward Kienholz
Dramatisations can still be worthwhile, it can reach places documentary can't, with imagination.

Attached: c_kienholz_edward.jpg (355x220, 14K)

Was going to write something snarky about your level of education but im not feeling it

I thought you meant artist in the more general sense and not strictly painters. Have a nice day, dickhead

I'm actually interested now. What do you recommend?

From the horses mouth.

"Nightwatching", tells about Rembrandt. There is also a documentary made by the same director which explains the plot even further.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwatching

Attached: MV5BMTMxMzExNzg4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM0NjQ2MQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,679,1000_AL_.jpg (679x1000, 122K)

Berthe Morisot un téléfilm!

Attached: berthe_morisot.jpg (640x360, 37K)

How wonderful.

Attached: v1.bjs3MTI3MjA7ajsxODA5ODsxMjAwOzM4ODE7MjkxMQ.jpg (300x300, 25K)

Lust for life, my nigga.
Probably Kirk Douglas' best film.

Attached: lustforlife.gif (327x251, 998K)

Stop the press Damien, they've turned Paula into a film!

Attached: paula.jpg (1000x563, 273K)

There we go with just two films I've managed to refute nearly 50% of feminist academic writing, well done me.

There's "loving vincent" which is a full length painted animation movie in the style of van gogh

I feel funny about that one, I sort of feel it shouldn't have been made.

Attached: At-Eternitys-Gate-cropped.png (780x509, 310K)

the patrician's van gogh biopic

Attached: 8120dhYqW3L._SL1219_.jpg (800x1219, 298K)

I liked John actually he was really good at it.

Attached: 79089F14-DC89-C591-1C8789B046043353.jpg (615x409, 24K)

You're a fucking retard. Every year there are 5+ artists biopics coming to the cinema. It's really the plebbiest of all genres

I do not know many of them.

anyone seen this one about beksinski? came out a few years ago.

Attached: 268x0w.jpg (268x402, 32K)

>"He's reading the Mirror, eh? what? punch yer face in"
*throws bread roll*

Attached: c_freud_lucian.jpg (355x220, 21K)

Tous les matins du monde

Attached: aff_tous_matins_monde-1.jpg (1282x1600, 207K)

If you know one you know them all

Yeah.

Thank you for your recommend.

You're not going to understand an artist by watching a biopic about him. Fuck this whole thread is retarded

I don't know, you might do.

For example, Pollock.

Attached: 740full-pollock----------------------------------(2000)-screenshot.jpg (726x408, 50K)