Where do I start with arthouse?

Where do I start with arthouse?

Define arthouse.

Kubrick, if you haven't already. 2001 is good entry-level arthouse. From there move on to PTA with The Master. Then to Lynch, Herzog, and Malick (in that order.) Then you're ready for the big dogs

This little film called casablanca. it's black and white, super old, but a goodie.

Throw some Tarkovsky on

a house made of arts

Casablanca isn't arthouse

Attached: 51IearseoML.jpg (406x500, 52K)

>old
>b&w
it's definitely arthouse m8

>b&w movie
>not arthouse

Attached: 1540998213743.png (319x335, 262K)

Yeah it is, you nigger.

Kubrick, Bergman, Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Bresson, Edward Yang and Visconti. Then move to Hou Hsiao-hsien, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Roy Andersson, František Vláčil, Peter Greenaway. After that move to Tsai Ming Liang, Jacques Rivette, Stan Brakhage, Kenneth Anger. The last tier is Bela Tarr and Theodoros Angelopoulos.

Casablanca was just another studio movie, just by sheer luck and star alignment did it become a masterpiece.

But absolute opposite of arthouse.

No, it's a classic hollywood blockbuster. It's not arthouse just because it's old and good.

>watch art
>rip out a fart

Tarkovsky is terrible entry-level arthouse. It's at least intermediate level

>all these deleted posts
are mods mad that they are trannies and not women?

that's LITERALLY what arthouse means. Tell me you aren't this stupid.

Are you mad your shitposts keep getting deleted?

>arthouse means good
Fuck off. There are good blockbusters and there are bad arthouse films.

Attached: 1537627032051.jpg (500x449, 21K)

Attached: 1558485804486.jpg (300x169, 20K)

not my shitposts, i just see all the deleted posts

I'd say there are no entry points in arthouse. Sure, you will grow used to weird stuff and symbolism but it's not like you will quicker realise the meaning of a certain scene if you watched more obvious works before. Just start where you want

Attached: efee666d454c24cba2f63d2bf457f45b.jpg (400x400, 17K)

this

bump

'arthouse' refers to narrative film, you don't group experimental film in with it. That's a whole different world based more in fine art.

Not to mean it refers to all narrative film but it's basically that subset of 'serious' narrative film mostly coming out of Europe that Cahiers du Cinema covered in the 20th Century.

I'd swap out Malick for Jodorowsky.

Jodorowsky falls more into 'cult film'. He actually does have roots in the art scene, rather than the filmmaking scene, but his movies were funded more by rich hippie money and shown in grindhouse / midnight movie theaters. That is to say he's not something you categorize with Bergman but maybe more in that zone that is somewhere between arty and druggy countercultural bordering on exploitation trash, like Ken Russell or something.

Well, he is a more artistic and cerebral than someone like John Waters or Richard o'Brien.

I guess. He's still more in that category though.

Thanks so much for these names. I'm new to kino and want to expand my horizons to their maximum capacity