His Dark Materials casts Amir Wilson as Will Parry

He won't appear until Season 2 (The Subtle Knife) but they announced now
twitter.com/darkmaterials/status/1136671692552638464

Trailer for Season 1
youtu.be/0Qz8L4KaTss

Attached: William Parry.jpg (2048x2048, 379K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Johnson
gov.uk/government/publications/disability-facts-and-figures/disability-facts-and-figures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>story about the purity and innocence of young love
>DUDE LETS INJECT MY INTERRACIAL FETISH INTO IT HAHA

Wuts a cumputer?

looks boring

guess I'm never watching this

before anyone starts REEEing about ethnicity, the book never said what ethnicity he was. It just said he had black eyebrows and dark hair. he could have been a chink for all anybody knew.

I mean the show looks boring as shit. casting a nigger just gives me extra reason not to watch it

You need either new glasses or a new monitor if that looks like a nigger to you.

>he could have been a chink for all anybody knew.
That would have been more palletable than yet another white girl + nigger romance from American tv.

Chinese would have made better sense given the chapters about the Chinese language.

Yeah he looks white to me my fellow 56 percenter.

WE

He's an Arab you myopic smoothbrain. The world isn't divided into whites and niggers. What kind of nigger is named Amir?

more like His Blacked Materials

Attached: 1543853248519.jpg (634x351, 147K)

he's a native Londoner. Probably half-white since his name is "Wilson" and his "mother tongue" is listed as English.

Attached: i.jpg (976x739, 109K)

Except in Lyra's world Oxford is pretty much 100% white besides travelling scholars coming to the university. When she goes to Will's Oxford she is suprised how many 'Africans' and such are around. The fact that she didn't immediately take note of his race the first time she met him means he's almost certainly white in the books.

Just post Dafne

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Johnson

well whatever. netflixes formula of white man evil and white women sassy who fucks niggers will fail in real time. At least it will be fun to see the actual ratings plummet since jewflix hides their ratings

Just because something isn't explicit doesn't make a racebend right. Likewise they never explicitly stated Coulter or Asriel's ethnicities so why not just make them black too.
I'm kinda disappointed with the casting, but I think Dafne Keen (too old, not blonde, no longer has feral child feel), the black Oxford guy, Ms Coulter, and Lee Scoresby were already all miscast. This won't be the definitive version of the story we're looking for. Maybe in the far flung future there will be a definitive adaptation.

Attached: 9780679879251-uk[1].jpg (339x500, 46K)

>The other way in which this Oxford differed from hers was in the vast numbers of people swarming on every pavement, in and out of every building; people of every sort, women dressed like men, Africans, even a group of Tartars meekly following their leader, all neatly dressed and hung about with little black cases. She glared at them fearfully at first, because they had no dæmons, and in her world they would have been regarded as ghasts, or worse.
I guess.

>The fact that she didn't immediately take note of his race the first time she met him means he's almost certainly white in the books.
However she first met him in Cittagaze, not in Oxford, and he was the first person she's seen in days so she doesn't have any idea of what the locals are supposed to look like. We also don't get her perspective of their first meeting, and she appeared more concerned that she couldn't see any daemon with him than with his race. It's hard to judge based just on Lyra's reaction.

This isn't Netflix. It's (surprise, surprise) the BBC

>What kind of nigger is named Amir?
Rofl. Try leaving your room some time.

Sorry, in my country black people mostly have Anglo or African names, not Arab.

And yet Amir is a common black african name. Leave your room and have sex, incel.

Only among the black Muslims, surely? I just don't understand how an arab name would be common among blacks otherwise.

The books are gay

>root played by a woman in artemis fowl
>will played by a wog in this
what's next, a dog playing the cat in the hat?

>Only among the black Muslims, surely? I just don't understand how an arab name would be common among blacks otherwise.
Are you seriously saying that you don't know that large swaths of Africa have been muslim for over a 1000 years?

Attached: christianIslamAfricaMap.jpg (640x542, 47K)

God I hope this isn't true.

You know they chomp at the bit to replace any white children with mixed race alternatives but that's literally shitting over something that really impacted me as a kid.

Will was relatable to alot of british kids, especially those with shitty families, Pullman was not writing about some interracial future garbage.

It's called "His Dark Materials"
Obviously the characters are going to have dark skin, otherwise the series would have been entitled "His Easily-Sunburnt Materials".

>It's called "His Dark Materials"
yeah but It's not called "His Dark skinned protagonists" is it?

Well, that's a good point. I don't know what the "materials" refer to. I didn't actually read the books or, in fact, know the first thing about the series.
I'm just here to be outraged about the casting of a black actor in anything not directed by Spike Lee.

Most of the blacks where I'm from aren't from those parts of Africa.

Why can't you relate to someone with a shitty social situation if they're not the same race as you?

It's a John Milton quote

>Into this wilde Abyss,
>The Womb of nature and perhaps her Grave,
>Of neither Sea, nor Shore, nor Air, nor Fire,
>But all these in their pregnant causes mixt
>Confus'dly, and which thus must ever fight,
>Unless th' Almighty Maker them ordain
>His dark materials to create more Worlds,
>Into this wilde Abyss the warie fiend
>Stood on the brink of Hell and look'd a while,
>Pondering his Voyage; for no narrow frith
>He had to cross.

Because I don't view them as the same species as me.

based

Do you think they care about that? These twats will look for any excuse to cast a black/brown character in a light-skinned character's role so that they can signal how woke they are to the world.

The character of L in the Japanese comic manga Death Note may have been white or may have been Asian, but he sure as hell isn't white. That didn't stop the creators of the western live action adaptation from turning him into a black guy.

Attached: Real L vs Netflix L.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

*sure as hell isn't black

But why are you poring over the books looking for any character who doesn't have a chapter dedicated to how pale they are, just so you can make them brown? This never happens the other way around.

according to liberals only niggers are diversity. I mean the Hispanic population is the one thats growing. Just means shove niggers into everything by liberal logic

>But why are you poring over the books looking for any character who doesn't have a chapter dedicated to how pale they are, just so you can make them brown?

I swear, they are beginning to do the same thing with sexual orientation. Does the source material explicitly say that the character is straight? No? Then let's make him gay. It's the JK Rowling approach to finding any excuse to force gay characters into everything.

Not the person your responded to by the way. Just wanted to add to what you said.

Wow, this is very surprising.

Chinese (or any Asian) actor isn't diverse enough. It has to be black.

I fucking loved this series as a kid. They're pushing me over the edge more and more every God damn day.

>or any Asian
Nah mate, Indians and Pakistanis are diverse enough for the BBC.

I'm pretty numb to the whole 'replace as many white people as possible' crap - it's a deliberate slap in the face, but they're doing it to get a rise out of us so I prefer not to give us the satisfaction. But I was the age Will is when the books came out (roughly speaking, I think it only lined up perfectly for the Amber Spyglass), so yeah - this one stings a bit. I would have loved to have a faithful adaptation of the books to enjoy.

But hey, all we have to do is not watch it. We still have the books - as long as we still have physical copies on our bookshelves, no matter how they try to rewrite history to suit themselves it doesn't matter. It's disappointing that we don't get the series as well, but we've lost nothing (except maybe hope).

If people should be able to relate to someone no matter what their race is, why does there need to be non-white representation on screen? Shouldn't non-whites just try to empathise with white characters?

Representation matters. I'd never deny that. The question is how you do it - do you write original non-white characters in original media, or do you take a white character and make them a minority? Is it 'we want to be a part of this', or 'this is OURS now'? Do you add, or do you take away?

In case you hadn't been paying attention for the last decade or two, it's the latter. It's not about what they can give to minorities, it's about what they can take away from whites.

Asian as in east Asian, not those "rapist Asians". But I guess you Brits call them Oriental.

I thought HBO was producing HDM, but I guess it's BBC.

Hitler literally did nothing wrong

you guys really need to reevaluate your lives if you care this much about a nignog making it to screen.

>the book never said what ethnicity he was

Attached: JK Rowling.jpg (960x720, 172K)

>The world isn't divided into whites and niggers.

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, user.

Attached: Smug Anime 1.jpg (668x662, 46K)

>they are STEALING CHILDREN!

Oh... How is the left gonna spin this one?

>the book never said what ethnicity he was
>must have been a fat-lipped sand-nigger then

This is Liberal Logic and I really don't fucking understand it.

Attached: hurrrrrr.jpg (540x329, 67K)

>Representation matters. I'd never deny that
Faggot. It literally does NOT MATTER AT ALL

>If people should be able to relate to someone no matter what their race is, why does there need to be non-white representation on screen? Shouldn't non-whites just try to empathise with white characters?
That's a circular argument. If people should be able to relate to someone no matter what their race is, why shouldn't the director just cast any race that they like? Shouldn't anglos also empathise with people who aren't anglo? (Speaking as a slant eyed bugman, I have personally never had difficulty with relating to white Hollywood leads, and neither have most of the people who live in non-white countries and still lap up Hollywood product. I didn't realise that going the other way was so hard for whites)

Besides, this whole argument about taking a white and making them a minority is predicated on the idea that Will was originally white, which is a part of his character that's really only in the reader's head.

>Why can't you relate to someone with a shitty social situation if they're not the same race as you?

The fucking irony here is staggering.

Why don't you ask the shitskins that same question?
The ENTIRE reason behind the constant shoe-horning of "diversity" into modern media and the fetishism for replacing established white characters with blacks and brown mutts is because Liberals insist "PoC's can't relate to media that is THIS white! they need people that look like them!!!".

Attached: Leftist Hollywood Logic on Race and Representation cartoon.jpg (840x924, 87K)

Boy, I was on the fence about this racism stuff but then some neet avatarfagging as an anime girl said the n word.

I really wanted this to be a success for Dafne, I can't believe they fucked it up so badly.

Attached: 1559898364274.png (442x509, 172K)

>BBC
color me shocked.

AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!

Daily Reminder that the BBC has literal, actual Diversity Quotas that require certain numbers of gays, blacks and people missing limbs.

Attached: BBC is a joke.jpg (1400x2595, 1.54M)

Those are some crazy long eyelashes

now i'm pissed. i have been saying hehe oh well to all the fucking shit that's had ugly ass niggers cast because those were other people's series and the characters they'd envisioned. now it's fucking come home to fuck me.
FUCK hbo or whoever

>expecting anything else from the BBC

lel

Attached: Blackwashing.jpg (720x634, 69K)

How can I feel the emotional impact of Lyra and Will falling in love when I know some BBC exec is jerking off over the IR pairing off camera?
They just can't leave anything wholesome alone can then?

>"omg why can't you relate to someone of a different race?"
>"OMG REPRESENTATION MATTERS! POC'S CAN'T RELATE TO ALL THESE WHITE CHARACTERS!!!! DIVERSITY NOW!!!!"

It could be worse, I was expecting someone niggerer desu

>n-word
lol

I wonder can authors dictate how a cover picture should be?
Like if I make my character black in my mind but the cover artist makes him white can I go and tell the cover artist "your picture is wrong my characters look like this not like that" and force the artist to redo it completely? Or am I screwed because the publisher makes the decisions on cover pictures?

I guess I can always shit on the artist on social media.

>the n word

Were you afraid your mommy would look over your shoulder see what you were typing or something?

desu 11 million brits have some form of disability (source gov.uk/government/publications/disability-facts-and-figures/disability-facts-and-figures ) so 1 in 6 is about right for a quota that tries to represent the population.

if he didn't exaggerate his fucking disgusting pube spider hair i wouldn't be so bad. if they give this boy a fucking civilised English citizen's haircut in the show it would make it so you could kind of squint really hard and imagine he's a tanned Welsh boy

>Boy, I was on the fence about this racism stuff but then some inbred lisping suburban 14-year-old soi-boy called me a nazi and a drumpf-supporter.

I have no qualifications that would let me run the BBC, wheres the quota for unqualified people? Put me in charge of the BBC pls, I'll even pretend to be trans for you.

you know whites can have curly hair too right

Attached: 20130810-214216.jpg (220x293, 15K)

>the book never said what ethnicity
So this automatically means the character is a chimp? LMAO

>he could have been a chink
See this line, everyone? This is the poster trying to imply that he is still a racist despite defending the casting due to being a nigger lover.

And this retard is trying to make this about whitewashing. The issue is that nobody in their right mind wants to see niggers.

Asking because Le Guin stated clearly Ged is not white, yet artists draw him white on cover pictures. Covers artists shouldn't have the freedom to lie about someone else's characters.

Attached: A-Wizard-of-Earthsea-891422.jpg (590x916, 120K)

that is wavy but nevertheless it is disgusting and an italian would be just as gross a miscasting for Will the obviously pale ruddy English boy as the nog

To be fair, in my head I always pictures Will as a mutt, dont really know why.

>But why are you poring over the books looking for any character who doesn't have a chapter dedicated to how pale they are, just so you can make them brown? This never happens the other way around.

This.
This is literally, unironically the Liberal MO these days.

And even when the character IS specified as white that frequently still doesn't stop them.
See: L in Deathnote, Rolland the Gunslinger, etc.

cos you are one and he's the male lead

Yeah, but those 11 million are mostly pensioners, and many of those that aren't will be people with the sort of disabilities that mean they can't function in normal society (everything from severe Down's syndrome to quadriplegics). So it's not really representative to hire people with other sorts of disabilities to fill a quota.

>This never happens the other way around
Ahem.

Attached: earthsea.jpg (800x600, 135K)

>See: L in Deathnote
The races of every single character had to be changed already to make all the Japanese people into non-Japanese people, but black L is where the line is drawn? Japs didn't give a shit, only mutts went into screaming autistic fits.

>What kind of nigger is named Amir?

Probably at least a million in Africa.

Dios mio..

>literally 15 years ago

And fans were allowed to loudly shit on this without getting called "racist" and "alt-right".

>Speaking as a slant eyed bugman
>neither have most of the people who live in non-white countries
Because you fucking have 100% ethnically homogenous home grown cinema and TV if you feel like watching it. You can watch your chink tv show or korean movie and you will be DAMN SURE there isn't going to be some nigger inserted in it for no reason. They're not going to do a historical rewrite of Chairman Mao where his best buddy suddenly turns out to be some jive talking coon everyone loves who ends up fucking Mao's sister.

Where's my 'home country' cinema and TV that I can turn to if I want to see stories about my people if I want? Oh wait, I don't get to have that. Only white countries get to enjoy forced diversity where we get written out of our own nations history.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I love not being a fan of all these fantasy books which are getting raped by liberals

>only mutts went into screaming autistic fits.

You can call people who wanted a faithful adaptation of things they like "autistic" all you want, Leftists; it won't make your shit movies not shit and it definitely won't keep them from bombing.

The fact that Le Guin herself shat on that because it was completely contrary to her vision helped.
What does Pullman say about this casting?

as you know in american movies all the black characters are played by British blacks. The thing is in Britain there are a lot of very well / theatrically trained black actors. because of this there has to be a good reason given when hiring, why a black guy can't be cast. otherwise it's simply employment discrimination. This has led to a lot of goofy casting but, it's probably not as much of a shoving-down-your-throat conspiracy as it seems. Just consider that - how many good black actors there are in Britain

he's a fucking obvious libshit (did you read the books about le bad religion) he'll love it

Good. I'm glad they are doing their best to make sure His Dark Fedoras fails.

>nooooo don't insult my pedo cult ;____;

isn't this series just fedora shit anyway?
the author sounds like an unironic militant atheist

Modern writers are TERRIFIED of being called racists. They will willingly get on all fours with head down and ass up and praise how liberals are raping the IP they spent years of their life laboring to create. See: Steven King on the raping of The Dark Tower.

Even if they WANT to complain, they sometimes have gag-orders written into the contracts they signed when they agreed to have an adaptation of their work. They often aren't allowed to say anything that "could hurt profits" without risk of being sued until years after the adaptation is out and done with.

>gag-orders
not even necessary, saying anything would be career suicide regardless of there being legal consequences

>pedo cult

Islam?

Attached: Rotherham Rape Gang.jpg (968x681, 63K)

British actors just tend to be classically trained a lot more than American actors for some reason. British actors frequently have a lot more range to portray a variety of characters, whereas many American actors just play variants of themselves.
To put it another way: Britain produces actors, America produces movie stars.

All your kike religons are the same stop moving the goalposts

This series literally climaxes with two preteens fucking.

>for some reason
In America 'somebody' managed to turn theatre (one of the cornerstones of western culture) into an exclusively gay thing. Now all Burgers think theatre is for fags just because theirs is.

You can always refuse to sell your rights to an adaptation unless they are contractually bound to do what you want and not what they want.

you just described the opposite of the meaning of "selling the rights"

>before anyone starts REEEing about ethnicity, the book never said what ethnicity he was.
Yes, that’s because it was simply understood in the 90s that a character written by an Englishman for English speakers was white unless stated otherwise.

>which is a part of his character that's really only in the reader's head.
It’s not though. You’re acting like there was never the default, like this detail always has to be specified (that would be fucking weird first of all) or else it’s just fluid or unknown or something? There’s no way you seriously believe this.

That's more or less what I meant. Will being white English was an "understood" default for any white English reader, but that's something the reader themselves inferred based on what they consider the norm in the environment in which they live. For my part when I read it in my time as a kid I had never been to England, and based on my environment and upbringing my basic assumption was England = white people, so I just assumed he was white English.

Nah. The author of 50 Shades of Grey sold her adaptation rights while keeping creative control over the movie adaptation.

There's that, and the fact that his father got by in Lyra's world as an Oxford scholar in what is essentially pre-Great War England.

get off of my board

>mixed black white kid
> fatherless is a literal plot point.
LMAO can't wait for the backlash

Well his dad was explicitly white

I got banned the last time I posted Dafne in a HDM thread

Why is Lyra so dark compared to her parents?

>Will being white English was an "understood" default for any white English reader, but that's something the reader themselves inferred based on what they consider the norm in the environment in which they live.
Uh, no. It’s the norm for the setting. If I read a book written by a Chinese writer, originally written in Chinese, featuring main characters who live in a world parallel to our own in terms of geography and culture, and characters’ ethnicities were only explicitly specified when they’re NOT Chinese, I would assume most of the characters are Chinese or at least Asian.

Seems pretty straightforward.

What kind of Arab is named Will Parry?

John Oliver bringing the comedy here

lots of niggers have arabic names

His Darkie Materials

>His Blacked Materials

Considering it's implied he and Lyra bang at the end of the third book...

More like His Mutt Materials lmao

>Like if I make my character black in my mind
>in my mind
then it's your fault for not making it clear in the text. if you don't give clear and detailed descriptions of your characters, artists are going to draw them a) how they want and b) to appeal to the market (which is still barely white dominant in the english-speaking world). you could tell the artist to change it, but they would have a decent case to tell you to fuck off and in any case have probably been paid for their work already.