OVERRATED, BUT GOOD TIER
>Spielberg
>Allen
>Wilder
>Ford
>Lynch
>Cameron

This cannot be disputed

Attached: 21605062-D436-46D5-ADB3-52DB37F76E22.jpg (1200x750, 119K)

Kino Tier:
>Villenueve.

>no Carpenter
post your testosterone levels

>nolan goat tier but lynch is overrated
how do you manage to be this retarded?

>nolan top tier
>no villeneuve or aronofsky
19 year old pseud confirmed, get this shit list off my board.

>GOAT TIER
>Bergman
>lang
who?

GOD TIER
>Jodorowsky

Underage or low iq.

>Goat tier
>Nolan
>Great tier
>Coppola
huh

>>Nolan
Yikes dawg...

>No Weerasethakul

>Nolan
>Goat Tier
is this a joke?

Switch Nolan with Ford and this list isn't that bad.

goat:
melville
great:
murnau
overrated but good:
kobayashi

overrated but still GOAT: Kurosawa

also I too took an a level film course, OP

>b'aww hes bad because hes popular
Keep crying.

Terrible, watch more films.
Nolan is literally exposition the director. All of his films consist of people explaining the plot because he doesn't trust his audience. His characters are non existent and serve only as mouthpieces to spout exposition and explain the plot. The funniest thing about this is the mechanics the plot has and the rules the film set up are usually broken with few minutes. So the whole exposition was useless because he doesn't even keep his own rules. He can't direct action to save his life. He is overreliant on music to conjure any type of emotion and his level of visual storytelling is 0. Show don't tell you fucking hack. He makes films for people who only watch blockbuster garbage and he makes them in a way where they think they are intelligent for getting it. They are not, everything is explained and his films are not that complicated. That being said Dunkirk was a step in right direction.

>Nolan is literally exposition the director. All of his films consist of people explaining the plot because he doesn't trust his audience.
He's right though. The average normie was perplexed by a movie as simple as Inception. 80% exposition, and these retards are still catching brain freeze over a slightly ambiguous ending.

>Ford
>overrated
>b'aww hes bad because hes popular
Keep crying.

Dunkirk is his only good movie and it's good not great. Inception falls apart during rewatches because of plot holes and Interstellar is just silly (as is The Prestige). I haven't seen his earlier movies but it's clear that he's not a great director.

Movies should not pander to stupid people. Kubrick managed to make accessible films without having hamfisted exposition and with having a certain visual language.

GOD OF KINO TIER
>Refn

>GOAT TIER
>Nolan
>GREAT TIER
>Tarantino

Attached: 431.gif (200x150, 833K)

Fellini and Welles should be GOAT but other than that I agree. Also, honorary mentions to Aki Kaurismäki and Sofia Coppola.

Entry level taste. Pathetic

>All of his films consist of people explaining the plot because he doesn't trust his audience

I wouldn't trust his audience either

>Kubrick managed to make accessible films
No he didn't. His movies are too confusing for the average audience. Every last one of them would bomb today, as most of them did in their own time. Nolan is being given massive budgets and he has to make movies for a wider audience of modern normies. With that considered, he's pretty damn good.

>Sofia Coppola
No. Also OP probably doesn't know who Kaurismaki is. They are plenty of fantastic directors he hasn't mentioned and based on his list he wouldn't even know them.

Memento is good. Still not great, but good.

>the terminator is playing with young john
>sarah starts narrating the scene
this was unforgivable in t2, fuck cameron that hack

If they would bomb or if they wouldn't is completely irrelevant. He makes accessible films, lot of people have seen them he is one of the most popular directors along with Scorsese and Spielberg. Even people who don't care about film that much can watch some Kubrick's film. Yes he can get massive budget so why doesn't he try to push his audience? Why is he still dumbing everything down? His films sell on his name alone so he has no excuses.

Well, not many people know Kaurismaki, (even true kinographeurs like you) but he's one of the finest from EU. Also, S. Coppola made two absolutely sublime films, assuming her father didn't ghost direct either as the rumors would have you believe.

Hawks should be in GOAT TIER and he's not even listed, making me dubious about your entire methodology.

All of those are OVERRATED, BUT GOOD TIER

He is good, i prefer lot of other EU directors. Sofia made some semi decent films but i don't her output is great, she also made some films which i consider bad, i don't like her very much.

>GOAT TIER
>>Nolan

Ohohohohoho

Wow what an awesome ranking of a completely arbitrary selection of directors. Us Redditors all know that John Ford is an overrated director. Upvoted good sir!

>as most of them did in their own time
Not true. Most of his movies were very profitable.

>Every last one of them would bomb today
No proof of this.

Attached: kubrick.png (862x230, 64K)

Fair enough, user, it's a matter of taste after all. What about S. Coppola's directing puts you off?

That's only North America btw.

Where are Ozu, Misoguchi, Rossellini, Visconti, Powell, Bresson, Dreyer and Dovzhenko?

OP's list really is too short to be interesting, if he had actually tried to make a comprehensive list of the more important directors and sort them it could have prompted an interesting discussion.

I don't think Nolan is as bad as others here do but if you think he belongs alongside Tarkovsky, Lang and Kubrick you're insane.

I just don't find anything special about it. Something like Bling Ring and Somewhere were really obnoxious and annoying experiences for me. The Beguiled was very pointless, the original was better.

Give OP a break he started watching arthouse like two weeks ago gee

>GOAT TIER
>Bergmeme
HAHAHA OH WOW

You can name lot of directors who are missing. It's just list of some directors, based on his list you can see that OP won't know any of the directors you mentioned.

If you're being sincere list five directors who belong in GOAT tier

Meh.... Where is Lumet?

>Nolan
lmao

*Mizoguchi

Yes. Melville.

If OP is offering the list as an indisputable canon, I will dispute it, especially if s/he knows enough to put Lang in the top tier. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It's not indisputable canon, Nolan in top tier will tell you that OP has been watching film for 1 month max.

Move away plebeians.
>Robert Bresson
>Theodoros Angelopoulos
>Kenji Mizoguchi
>Bela Tarr
>Frantisek Vlacil

Attached: 2221268_frantisek-vlacil-udoli-vcel-petr-cepek-jan-kacer-v0.jpg (1197x1600, 305K)

This. If your list includes Spielberg, Cameron, and other genre filmmakers, then there's no good reason to leave out Carpenter. He's one of the most enduring directors of the 70s-80s.

>Bela Tarr
You think discount Tarkovsky is better than the real Tarkovsky?

I agree, Bling Ring and Somewhere were literal shit but when you compare it to Lost In Translation, which was a real masterpiece for her, it's like two different filmmakers. The subtle melancholy from body language to hesitation in dialogue was so good man.

wilder, lynch, and welles belong in goat. coppola, tarantino, and nolan belong in overrated but good. spielberg belongs in the fucking trash

I get triggered watching "The Dark Knight" now because all of the dialogue is just a setup of what is going to happen in the very next scene. There are some good moments but god damn just watch any scene with Gordon it's like having a narrator going over the script.

I'm not the poster who posted that they are overrated. I think Tarkovsky is the same tier as Tarr.
>You think discount Tarkovsky is better than the real Tarkovsky?
Also way to miss the point of both Tark and Tarr. Just because they both have long takes doesn't mean that Tarr is discount Tarkovsky. Other than long takes, which they use in complete different way, they have nothing in common. If anything Tarr was inspired by Jancso.
I like Lost in Translation but i wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Her filmography overall is disappointing especially since her first 2 films are good but then it goes downhill.

t. brainlet

For me, it's Itami

what a shit fucking taste, you should kill yourself fucking pleb.

based