Why did Gandalf let go? Why didn't the others lift him up? Balrog was long gone

Why did Gandalf let go? Why didn't the others lift him up? Balrog was long gone.

Attached: gandalfbirdge.jpg (850x458, 26K)

Because the Balrog was still alive

because the eagles could have taken the ring to mount doom.

>Fly you fools
Why did Gandalf only just figure out the eagles could have taken them to Mordor when faced with mortal danger?

>Because the Balrog was still alive
So? Balrog has been around for a while. Why is he a problem now? We know where he'd end up, through the deepest cave to the top of the highest mountain, i.e. no longer a danger to the company.

When does he say "run" and when does he say "fly"? The scene appears at the end of FotR, beginning of TT and in trailers.

Gandalf is one of the movers and shakers of the mythos. He knows what's supposed to happen and he knows that the fools were supposed to fly/run.

I thought I imagined the confusion between run and fly. I'm 65% sure he says 'fly' in Fellowship.

>So? Balrog has been around for a while. Why is he a problem now?
because he's awake? and would leave moria after climbing out of the hole? then start shitting on everything around him? if Smaug was a threat that had to be taken away from Sauron, then you can bet your ass a balrog would be too.

>Gandalf is one of the movers and shakers of the mythos.
Yes,
>He knows what's supposed to happen
No. He knows what would be a good thing to happen, but there isn't a 'supposed' to happen. Remember the conversation the hobbits have with Tom Bambodil in Book 1.
>he knows that the fools were supposed to fly/run.
Ha!

>I thought I imagined the confusion between run and fly. I'm 65% sure he says 'fly' in Fellowship.
I don't think I've actually ever seen/heard him say "fly". Just checked, he says "fly" in both FotR and TT, wtf.

>and would leave moria after climbing out of the hole?
But he's not in the hole. They end up on that tower on top of the mountain. Long way from Moria.
>if Smaug was a threat that had to be taken away from Sauron
Smaug was such a threat that they allowed him to be in the Lonely Mountain for 200 years. And only then they went there to get the riches and reclaim the mountain, not specifically kill Smaug. They assume he's dead.
>then you can bet your ass a balrog would be too.
Unless Gandalf knew he'd become Gandalf the White, then he would have been more useful staying with the company.

>Balrog was long gone

Wrong. The balrog had a whip and gets gandalf's ankle with it, watch again.

>The balrog had a whip and gets gandalf's ankle with it, watch again.
That's what I thought the very first time I watched LotR. But after Gandalf lets go you can see that there is nothing even close to his foot. And Gandalf even has to make himself into a needle like a skydiver to catch up to Balrog.

He had to fuck a nigga up

how did he fall down and end up on a mountain? does middle-earth have an underworld or something?

I never got that either. Middle Earth just repeats on a top-down loop.

Because the Balrog had to die or it would be a problem later and he had to get his staff and sword back.
No, the Balrog was on the retreat and Gandalf fought/tracked him through a few thousand miles before finally cornering up on that tower.

The fight lasts three days and they climb the Endless Stair to the top of the mountain during it

top of what mountain? how the fuck did no on see a giant balrog and a wizard battling on a mountain top?

>No, the Balrog was on the retreat and Gandalf fought/tracked him through a few thousand miles before finally cornering up on that tower.
>The fight lasts three days and they climb the Endless Stair to the top of the mountain during it
So when they fall into the bottom of the cave from Kazakh Dum, and fall into what looks like a lake, what happens then?

why do you think its called middle earth?

he wanted all balrog xp for himself. he leveled up like 4 times just by that kill

>top of what mountain? how the fuck did no on see a giant balrog and a wizard battling on a mountain top?
for one it's a mountain range with many mountain tops
secondly middle earth isn't vastly populated especially not around the mountains and there's probably not a lot of mountain climbing people there
thirdly if you saw the two most powerful beings you've ever seen fight you'd probably stay away

Does Balrog has any ranged attack? Why didn't Gandalf just ride eagles and cast fireballs from the sky?

>So when they fall into the bottom of the cave from Kazakh Dum, and fall into what looks like a lake, what happens then?
The balrog starts running, cold water is probably not great for them, he eventually starts climbing the stairs to the top and gandalf is following him to kill him

he caught his foot with the whip iirc

He ain’t going to lose his sword nigger. Plus, he knew he could fuck that balrog up no problem.

>The balrog starts running, cold water is probably not great for them, he eventually starts climbing the stairs to the top and gandalf is following him to kill him
So when they fall, they don't "fall through" the "bottom" of the world and end up at the "top" of the world? That tower and mountain is connected to the mines of Moria and you can reach them by stairs?

Mind blown.

This he didn’t want to lose his sword. If the balrog didn’t sucker punch his hand and make him drop that shit he wouldn’t have gone after him.

In the book they fight and Gandalf gets an upper hand so Balrog starts running and Gandalf pursues him to the top of the moutain where he kills him. There were stairs in that cave that Gandalf said to himself that must be older than himself and that even dwarfs didnt know about them and the lake

>So when they fall, they don't "fall through" the "bottom" of the world and end up at the "top" of the world? That tower and mountain is connected to the mines of Moria and you can reach them by stairs?
correct, but the stairs were destroyed during the fight

The bridge was supposed to be broken and perilous. Gandalf - and Aragorn, seeing the problem - didn't want to risk any more lives to recover the situation. If the bridge broke, more dead Fellowship members. The quest was paramount.

This

>correct, but the stairs were destroyed during the fight
>There were stairs in that cave that Gandalf said to himself that must be older than himself and that even dwarfs didnt know about them and the lake
So who built the stairs?

It's because he's a poofter.

The bigger question is if Gandalf could fuck up Balrog up as he's hurtling to his death why tf couldn't he just kick Balrog's ass on the cliff instead? Why would Tolkien be like "I bet Gandalf is even stronger as he's falling off a cliff"? Makes no sense other than to be the biggest asspull in literature/film. Still cool moment tho, as Gandalf you think is fucking dead he just pulls a random Superman/Goku fuck you to the Balrog.

Tolkien was too busy jerking off over elven languages and shit to fix any plot holes

Who build the stairs and the tower at the top is a mystery. Tolkien didnt explain everything. Gandalf thinks that they must be at least as old as before the world transformation which is one of the first event in the world of Lotr. When there was only one continent and there was no humans or elves.

Gandalf died fighting Balrog and he wasn't holding his punches

He needed 5 more exp to lvl up to the white wizard class and these fags were hogging his gainz

while freefalling it's probably advantageous to have a stabbing weapon and be of smaller stature

>Who build the stairs and the tower at the top is a mystery. Tolkien didnt explain everything. Gandalf thinks that they must be at least as old as before the world transformation which is one of the first event in the world of Lotr. When there was only one continent and there was no humans or elves.
Damn. Such a rich world, could have made 6 good movies out of the books.

Ok so you buy the Gandalf the White was a reborn/reanimated Gandalf?
I mean sure but how does a person in a medevil world know about freefalling physics wizard or not? Also how does WW2 era Tolkien know that too?

True answer

Honestly what was Pippin's class since he seemed the most useless of the Nine Fellowship? Where does his EXP go towards? And don't say Bard

Pip is the Wimp Lo of LOTR, he was purposely specced wrong as a joke.

>Gandalf and Balrog fall into pit
>Balrog sees Gandalf followed him down
>oh shit.jpg
>Runs away up the endless stair for days on end
>Gandalf chases him but their movement speed is the same
>Hits a dead end on the tower, gets cornered and dies
This feels like some mmorpg mechanics with kiting and chasing xp

>Open combat log
>Gandalf's Lightning Pierce critically hits Balrog of Morgoth for 16,093 (565 Resisted) (24,774 Overkill)

Gandalf isn't proficient in Athletics and only has 12 Strength so he knew he couldn't pass the skill check and since halflings only have 25ft move speed they would never reach him so he decided it was easier to let go and cast Feather Fall.

It's like you dumbasses didn't watch the movie.