František Vláčil

Has anybody here seen his films? What did you think of them?
In my opinion he is one of the best directors ever, it's shame that he was blacklisted for a long time.
Marketa Lazarová and Valley of the Bees are medieval kinos. Adelheid and Shadows of a Hot Summer are absolutely fantastic too.
Also historical films or films with medieval aesthetic recommendation thread.
Such as:
>Andrei Rublev
>The Leopard
>Seventh Seal
>Hard to be a God
>Saragossa Manuscript
>Black Cross
>Draughtsman's Contract
>Barry Lyndon

Attached: 4a9HxhMx4ncPUGEC07aDagwHqD8.jpg (1520x2145, 163K)

tjis is Yea Forums we dont discuss movies here

That's not true. There was a nice thread about High Life today and some Angelopoulos thread few days ago.

Attached: poster-livadi.jpg (448x643, 175K)

Attached: 32206_Ctek_JunJuly_valleyofthebees_613x463.jpg (613x463, 69K)

I said I'd watch Eternity and a Day after that thread but haven't had time yet, sorry was at work till 10pm

Alexander nevsky and ivan the terrible I guess
Marketa lazarova was amazing

Marketa Lazarova fucking sucks, it's just a bunch of show-off stuff in the usual cash-strapped Eastern European style, employed in the service of a story nobody outside its country of origin can possibly give a tin shit about. If every print had been torched, nothing of value would have been lost. This "getting censored = being of value" meme must end.

That's understandable, hopefully you will have time soon.
Haven't seen those. Eisenstein is a big blindspot for me.

Marketa Lazarova is a 10/10 medieval kino.

Pic related is Flesh+Blood, not strictly medieval, but a great movie.

Attached: 2206Se_ores_del_Acero.jpg (670x315, 56K)

No it fucking isn't, it's dogshit.

In terms of historical film recs, I think more people should watch The Battle of Algiers, going into it i thought it would be boring or just of interest to the French maybe, but god damn it's a fantastic movie, it manages to portray such a detailed and complex perspective of the events with no heroes and villains on either side, just politics and a country worn down by terrorists on both sides. Both the small character scenes and the huge set piece scenes work so well too, it's rare to see such an expansive subject treated with such a tight script. Well done to Gillo Pontecorvo I suppose.

I would say the style is quite unique, i haven't seen anything like it.
>a story nobody outside its country of origin can possibly give a tin shit about
The story is not really important. Also you are wrong, plenty of people from Czech Republic and Slovakia don't understand this film, it's better on the second viewing. It helps if you know something about history but that's the case for plenty of arthouse cinema.
>This "getting censored = being of value" meme must end.
The film was not censored, it had a wide theatrical release.

Attached: marketa-lazarova-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg (1200x675, 121K)

>I would say the style is quite unique, i haven't seen anything like it.
Watch more films then.

>The story is not really important.
Correct, but that makes the film futility squared.

>Also you are wrong, plenty of people from Czech Republic and Slovakia don't understand this film,
So not even they give a shit about it, great.

>it's better on the second viewing.
No fucking way am I sitting through that arsecrumble again.

>It helps if you know something about history but that's the case for plenty of arthouse cinema.
Incorrect. Only dogshit needs us to care about some provinicial anecdote in order to get the movie.

>The film was not censored, it had a wide theatrical release.
It's a "liberal" Eastern Bloc film, so the humanist-liberal-critics-pretending-it's-of-value-for-extracurricular-reasons factor is the same.

>Watch more films then.
Recommend me some then.
>Correct, but that makes the film futility squared.
If you watch films for story, you are doing it wrong.
>So not even they give a shit about it, great.
It has good ratings, but some people don't understand the whole plot. Also if someone doesn't understand that doesn't mean he doesn't give shit.
>Incorrect. Only dogshit needs us to care about some provinicial anecdote in order to get the movie.
I said it helps if you know something about history. It's not necessary for understanding of the film. The conflict in the film is pretty well explained, you either didn't pay attention or you are retarded if you think that it's that hard to get the film. If you didn't get it on the first watch you will on the second unless you are absolutely stupid.
>It's a "liberal" Eastern Bloc film, so the humanist-liberal-critics-pretending-it's-of-value-for-extracurricular-reasons factor is the same.
It was voted best Czechoslovak film by critics from Czech Republic and Slovakia and those are not liberal countries.

Good film, 8.5/10. Nothing extraordinary though.

>How dare anybody make elanything except capeshit that is of interest to me reeeeee

Go dilate, amerifaggit

If you liked it check out Valley of the Bees, i prefer that one to Marketa although both are fantastic.

Typical amerinigger that cant understands foreign media. Eat shit.

is there a single Czech that isn't an embarrassment to the human race?

What's your problem with Czechs? Are you Slovak or Hungarian or what?

Attached: 2221268_frantisek-vlacil-udoli-vcel-petr-cepek-jan-kacer-v0.jpg (1197x1600, 305K)

he's one of my fave directors, and valley of the bees is my fave film

iirc he was a student of otakar vavra, who also did some medieval kinos (see witchhammer)

>Recommend me some then.
Every other "artistically ambitious" Czech film of the period has the exact same pig-ugly style.

>If you watch films for story, you are doing it wrong.
The film is only praised for the story it tells, though. None of the execution is better than the other films of this period.

>It has good ratings, but some people don't understand the whole plot. Also if someone doesn't understand that doesn't mean he doesn't give shit.
So they don't get it, but they like it for jingoistic reasons. That's what I thought.

>I said it helps if you know something about history. It's not necessary for understanding of the film. The conflict in the film is pretty well explained, you either didn't pay attention or you are retarded if you think that it's that hard to get the film. It's not hard, it's NOT WORTHWHILE. Don't you get it? The story is one nobody cares about, and the style is nothing that hasn't been done better in countries where real money exists.

>It was voted best Czechoslovak film by critics from Czech Republic and Slovakia and those are not liberal countries.
Learn basic history you total cunt.

I'm not American, and I don't watch capeshit. Marketa Lazarova is a waste of time.

Correction:
>I said it helps if you know something about history. It's not necessary for understanding of the film. The conflict in the film is pretty well explained, you either didn't pay attention or you are retarded if you think that it's that hard to get the film.
It's not hard, it's NOT WORTHWHILE. Don't you get it? The story is one nobody cares about, and the style is nothing that hasn't been done better in countries where real money exists.

Parajanov’s Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors seems like it fits the bill of what you’re looking for.
Also Marketa Lazarova is kino, fuck the capeshitters.

Yes, the Witchhammer is great.
>Every other "artistically ambitious" Czech film of the period has the exact same pig-ugly style.
No it doesn't. The Cremator has completely different style, Švankmajer has also different style. Daisies is a film with different you absolute fucking moron. Just name a concrete example.
>The film is only praised for the story it tells, though. None of the execution is better than the other films of this period.
The execution is different and you haven't proven me wrong.
>So they don't get it, but they like it for jingoistic reasons. That's what I thought.
Just because you don't get that doesn't mean everybody is as retarded and can't enjoy the film on different level than working out the plot mechanics.
>It's not hard, it's NOT WORTHWHILE. Don't you get it? The story is one nobody cares about, and the style is nothing that hasn't been done better in countries where real money exists.
Give some examples of that style you dumb cunt then. What's the connection with money? Money has nothing to do with it.
>Learn basic history you total cunt.
Czech Republic and Slovakia are not liberal countries and the people there are not very liberal.

Basically all your arguments are MUH STORY, MUH STORY and that you didn't get it. You may consider the possibility that you are a mental midget or that you are retarded.

I recommend these (not all are equal):
War & Peace (1965 - 67)
A Man for All Seasons
The Deluge
El Cid
Becket
Napoleon (1927)
Richard III (1955)
The Duellists

>The Deluge
Sounds interesting, i have never heard of this one.

This and also Rossellini’s The Flowers of St Francis

Attached: vl517965_201402181452397.jpg (616x347, 36K)

You can't read English well enough to understand the post you're replying to. WESTERN LIBERAL critics praised it when it was released. The later Czech boosterism is opportunist after-the-fact "remember when we mattered in the fight against Russia?" shit.

>The Cremator has completely different style, Švankmajer has also different style. Daisies
Each of those looks the same. Dingy location-shot interiors plus gonzo attention seeking camera tricks.

I doubt many of the western liberal critics have seen the film in the first place at the time of the release. Czech critics rediscovered this film in 1990s, world critics much later.
Either you are really stupid or really blind. You still haven't provided one example of film with the same style.

Highly recommended

Attached: MV5BOGU0NzM4YTEtMDU4My00YTYzLTkyNmQtZDY0Y2YyYTYwYjE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTg2NjYzOA@@._V1_.jpg (640x853, 57K)

Attached: cover_full.jpg (709x1002, 1.02M)

You are unusually assblasted about this film

>Czech Republic and Slovakia are not liberal countries and the people there are not very liberal.
>Slovakia had elected a female president w/ a progressive agenda
>The party with most members going into the European Parliament is a far left liberal party called Progressive Slovakia

Kek, fuck me. I didn't even know and i'm from Slovakia. I would still say that lot of people are not liberal, it's just that there wasn't a better alternative.

Conservative parties and one particularly popular neo nazi party had been rallying HARD against liberalism and Caputova, yet she got voted. The campaign against Progressive Slovakia was there as well, but to no avail again. Slovakia is definitely more liberal than not. Can't say the same about Czech Republic, tho.

Also, how the fuck were you not aware of Caputova becoming president?

I was aware that she is president.
>The party with most members going into the European Parliament is a far left liberal party called Progressive Slovakia.
I didn't know about this. By neo nazi party you mean the one lead by Kotleba? He is a joke basically. Some right wing people i know didn't vote for him because he is a joke among many people here.

>Every other "artistically ambitious" Czech film of the period has the exact same pig-ugly style.

Yeah, "Diamonds of the Night", "Daisies", "Valerie", "Loves of a Blonde", "Birds, Orphans, Fools", "The Fifth Horseman is Fear", "Pictures of the Old World", "The Cassandra Cat", "The Return of the Prodigal Son", "The Cremator", "Closely Watched Trains" ALL look the same.

The only one that comes to my mind that is similar is some way is Vávra's Witchhammer

Agreed Vláčil has a pretty unique visual style, not only Marketa but also in Valley of the Bees, Adelheid and his other films. Even Witchhammer is more rigidly structured film and doesn't have the visual poetry that Marketa has.

The Ashes (1965)

Attached: WTOktkqTURBXy81NmQzY2RhODRmMjFmNzAxMDgyMGM5ZDg0MTE1MGE1MC5qcGVnkpUDACTNCS3NBSmTBc0Djs0CXw.jpg (910x607, 121K)

I've seen Valley of the Bees. It's absolute kino.
Many of these movies are on my list.

Adelheid is another Vláčil kino with the same actor from Valley of the Bees.

Attached: 02.jpg (900x701, 166K)

I like medieval movies too and watched many of you have here. Gonna check the others. Marketa lazarova is probably my top 1 movie. I don't have recommendations because it will be simple movies like ben hur, technicolor classics from the 50's and hobin hood. I would say check henry V (kenneth branagh) since it is a medieval movie not that straightfoward with more distinct aesthetic. Do you like japan? try ran and kagemusha, hidden fortress. Do you like princess? one of my favourite movies is 2006's marie antoinete. Also I loved the favourite easily KOTY.

so:
>princess movies
the favourite
marie antoinete
>medieval japan
ran
kagemusha
hidden fortress
>other ones
henry v
hobin hood

I didn't like Ran that much. Is Kagemusha somehow different or more of the same thing?

have sex

Attached: Capture.jpg (691x701, 94K)

I haven't seen Mág yet but didn't Vláčil said that it was terrible and that it was the reason he stopped directing? I remember some interview where he said that after he saw the film he realized that he had lost it. I also quite liked Dým Bramborové Natě, Hrušinský is kino actor.

No one's mentioned Devil's Trap?

idk if he said that but if he did he's a dummy. it's probably better than adelheid

everybody says ran>kagemusha but I prefer kagemusha. Very different.

Also dislike harakiri that is very high regard, very good movie but boring and too safe. Wish they made more samurai movies. Theres a lot of wushia that feels medieval because the rural settings but if you don't love wushia probably you won't stand them.

I will have to check it out then. I didn't know it had Hrušinský in it. Kino confirmed.
I loved Harakiri. I will watch Kagemusha then. Sword of the Doom is great samurai film. My favourite samurai film is Demons (1971) it's very dark almost psychological horror.

Remebered another ones:

>the messenger
really liked even though it is a straightfoward hollywood style movie, will rewatch soon
>the passion of joan darc (1932)
0/10 shit, fuck silent movies. Theres a very good built up vibe in the inquisition scenes, like you can truly fear the inquisitors but the movie is not my style
>ivan the terrible
you can watch in the FLV's youtube channel, like this
>orlando
the visuals are 10/10 but the plot is boring, nice too look at without sound
>hamlet by branagh
if you can stand that type of dialogue it is a nice movie

watched this one and it is good

Peter Greenaway has some nice baroque aesthetic in his films. Draughtsman's Contract was already mentioned.
Others are
>Baby of Macon
>Prospero's Books
>Nightwatching
>Goltzius and the Pelican Company

Attached: MV5BMTI4ZDMxOWEtYTQyMi00NGEzLWE0NmYtM2U4YTY3NTk1NDg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkxMjM5Nzc@._V1_.jpg (952x600, 159K)

Bump