What's your favorite space opera show?

What's your favorite space opera show?

Attached: p7896064_b_v8_aa.jpg (960x1440, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_aO42R8GtvE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So say we all

I like Babylon 5, but BSG is good too, got about 10 episodes left until I finish the series.

So say we all!

Attached: babylon5-logo.jpg (160x160, 13K)

Attached: Farscape.jpg (1920x1080, 449K)

BSG or either of the first two stargate shows

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

BSG the lore carries it.

Stargate was okay but I haven't finished

Probably BSG because it was such a fresh take on the genre, but DS9 comes a very close second. The Expanse is good too. Is Red Dwarf a space opera?

Attached: 1490900774920.jpg (3200x2013, 552K)

expanse and bsg, the rest are so dated and cheesy that i cant take them seriously

>that rape scene with the asian robot

Both excellent choices.

DS9
I tried to like BSG. First season or two are great tho I’ll give it that.

>We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go

>bsg
>not dated
might as well make it about ww2 battleships in space

B5 is great. 1990's Mass Effect. Star Trek is overrated, bland, trash that got big by being first.

>tfw I'll never have a qt ayy gf

Attached: metamorph.jpg (524x400, 22K)

B5 was great user, but I'll agree DS9 is superior. JMS can't compete with the DS9 team, Rene Echevarria especially. Odo and Quark are such amazing characters. Anyway, rewatch B5, I don't see how someone can love DS9 but not like B5

this, farscape
battlestar galactica is good too

when will there be hardcore realist space scifi that has Children of a Dead Earth style combat?

Dated means the production quality is poor compared to now, not that the technology available to the characters is old. And they didn't have CIWS in WW2, the Galactica is intentionally like a modern aircraft carrier in space.

Based sal

I know the final five pisses everyone off, but that interaction is even better when you know whos really talking to who

Why did the Final Five piss everyone off? The only one that didn't make sense was Tory, seemed like a waste.

Farscape and Babylon 5 for live action shows, LoGH and Seikai no Senki for anime.

tory was suppose to be billy but the actor left, if you keep that in mind tory is not good but bearable, as for the rest I never had a problem with it, cara should've been one though, would've made a lot more sense then a fucking angel, she isn't even remotely like the other angels

>Is Red Dwarf a space opera?

if it is, it's a comic opera.

Attached: tumblr_lnbgrvbpnl1qd7sy2.gif (500x236, 499K)

I was actually really hoping Gaius would one of the Final Five, it would have been cliched as fuck but still worth it.

Loved BSG, but Stargate's more light-hearted and episodic approach clicks better with me. Actually finishing rewatching both sg-1 and atlantis right now. Damn good shows.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that William Adama is the best. Great man, great commander and admiral.

I tried really hard but for some reason I couldn't get through season 1 of Stargate, as much as I loved the exploration of other planets, something just couldn't keep me watching.

third post best post

This.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (724x1000, 94K)

It's called developing turbopleb taste, symptoms include aversion to anything remotely cheesy, bold scores and storytelling/direction, you probably also hate S1 of TNG, which is the ultimate pleb filter. Maybe SGU is more up your alley.

I know it's weebshit but it really scratched my space opera itch after finishing watching B5 and all of Star Trek in college. A little melodramic in places like all anime but imo it's fucking great.

Attached: c5b844390c4d26b3ed2489a583d94501.jpg (500x618, 54K)

SG1 isn't space opera. It's earlier seasons are closer to an anthology series or TOS than anything. The later seasons are pure dogshit space laser puke.

t. genitals on the outside of your body

I watched all of Babylon 5 I can handle cheesy just fine.

Is BSG worth the commitment of watching?

You mean like testicles?

>BSG is good too, got about 10 episodes left
If I could delete the last few episodes of BSG from my brain, it would have been almost as good as Babylon 5

Yes, If you understand that the creator lost all his notes in a hotel so the last couple seasons were rewritten. Also the cgi is ps2 tier but that's not the main focus of the series

I started to watch Stargate SG-1 for the first time. Pretty comfy after having seen all of Star Trek, B5, Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

>Yes, If you understand that the creator lost all his notes in a hotel so the last couple seasons were rewritten.
Wan't the Writers' Strike to blame for the nosedive in quality for a lot of shows? I've never heard of this story before.

yes

>got about 10 episodes left until I finish the series
Stop watching and make up your own ending. Seriously.

Well there were many stories to why B5 had trouble. The main character ended up developing schizophrenia. The creator lost his personal notes, he was one of the first people to develop a multiple season long arc. They choose the wrong aspect ratio, and they took a chance at trying the digital cgi first out of any other sci-fi show. You can look it all up online

Babylon 5, honorable mentions to Firefly and BSG.

That was Babylon 5, not BSG, and it was just last season, that was already deviating from the grand plan of the show due cancellation threat at end of 4th season. Second half of B5's 4th season contains everything meant to last until half way through 5th season. Basically that leaves 5th season to be half season that was re-written in panic in few weeks.

Yep. Writers strike left many shows to be written by producers and

No. They didn't choose wrong aspect ratio, in fact they were one of very few shows that were prepared for up coming transition to widescreen aspect ratios and high definition television. When it ran 4:3 aspect ratio was the standard. They shot it in 16:9, but didn't have money to make effects in due to Warner Brothers being kikes over few thousand shekels for 16:9 HD monitor in mid 90's. Every scene was framed for both aspect ratios, some shots didn't work in 4:3, they reshot in 4:3 framing. Rendering every CGI shot in 16:9 HD would have been matter few clicks and leaving bunch computers running overnight. WB was also incompetent as fuck with archiving stuff from the show, so they lost CGI master files. Sets of B5 were so cheap that those would have looked like trash on any resolution above 720p, but they were up for delivering that if it wasn't for WB being idiots.

Attached: egyptian god of frustration.jpg (1024x1362, 125K)

You are correct and I was wrong. I'm glad someone more knowledgeable than me came to set the record straight

Attached: 1544985774414.jpg (877x768, 69K)

BSG

Attached: doc cottle.jpg (359x540, 24K)

It would have been literally matter of less than $200 per episode to render all all-CGI effects in 16:9 720p according the guy in charge of effects for couple first seasons and that includes the kinda expensive monitor they needed but couldn't get. Rest of it would have been few minutes of work and electricity bill. Redoing composite shots involving live action footage might have required more work, but composite shots weren't that common in B5.

It really makes you think how incompetent studio executives can be, even before get into the CGI mast archiving fuckup.

Attached: 1470269024240.jpg (1420x768, 204K)

Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access

The true nuke kino

Attached: e4d0040adf60efa56bae71fcf639618a.jpg (571x562, 32K)

>literally a girl that transform into what you like
bruh

Attached: CBS.png (319x93, 6K)

Expanse is the tightest and carries itself on plot alone, something no other show could do

>SG1 isn't space opera.
The franchise became a space opera as the seasons went on but it suffered from the lack of world building. SGU tried to retcon the Lucian Alliance but it didn't really work.

The final one should've been Kara's dad. There's a bunch of episodes that built up to that.
The Writers' Guild strike really fucked up the final season.

Came here to post this

Fug. I just noticed that I forgot to type what I was about to type about writers strike on my previous post.

>The Writers' Guild strike really fucked up the final season.
It fucked up many other shows as well and cut seasons of some shows short. Generally it leaves the shows to it's main writer/slash show runners who is often credited as executive producer or creator instead of writer. Most good shows are either works on one writer who gets help from script doctor or two, directors and actors to fix minor issues. Or very collaborative works by multiple writers, where the almost final scripts are results of long discussions about potential plotholes and storylines that work or why those don't work being covered and reworked over and over again in writers room. That is before last minute fixes come by, because some scenes might be impossible to shoot, now it is less of an issue due to CGI and budgets rising more than overall inflation. More people seeing everything usually gives redundancy and helps to spot fuckups.

Writers strikes over in 90's and 2000's are the reason why reality tv became so damn popular and was pushed around heavily by marketing on those times. First one gave us COPS, but good stuff are the exception when it comes to reality tv.

I agree. Moore said that they wrote the mid-season 4 episode as a series finale if the WGA strike had continued. The show would've ended with the jump to the destroyed Earth.
There was also the Syfy execs who promised a 5th season and then decided to end the show with the 4th one. That's why they rushed and wrap up a bunch of stories in the second part of season 4.

For me, it's Fat Lee.

Attached: bsg.gif (500x243, 472K)

Based Doc Cottle

Low-budget 1970s grimcore space opera ftw

Shows which are blatant rip-offs of Blake's 7:
>Andromeda
>Farscape
>Firefly

Attached: BLAKES_7_2D_DVD_SLIP.jpg (1546x2092, 738K)

>everyone forgets apollo kicked ass like a champ that season
>completely overshadowed cause adama in fairness called him fat and told apollo to get on the tread mill, then punchedhim cause he deserved it

It still amazes me how well B5 turned out. The tight writing and superb acting are what made it work so well. J. Michael Straczynsk was able to roll with the punches and keep the show's story free from outside meddling.

so much now is a rip off of blake's 7, shame gareth thomas hated the show, at least avon and vila were always great, and SC servalan

Attached: 85879.jpg (825x464, 46K)

Attached: fat lee (2).webm (900x506, 2.51M)

>BSG first season or two
The story runs out around the middle of season 2. you can tell they're scrambling for ideas when they end the season with a time jump so they can make it about the iraq insurgency.

For me, it's Space: Above and Beyond.

Attached: 1531888486068.jpg (1056x720, 50K)

Just wait another 50 years and you'll be living in it.

They forgot to cut the corners off that x-ray.

It aside from 5th season it is brilliant, too much filler on first half of it. It absolutely wasn't without meddling from studio and networks. Cancellation threat is probably most heavy handed executive meddling there is for a show.

Attached: babylon_5_starfury_tribute_by_gungho3d.jpg (1280x960, 155K)

The third series sucks.
Did I miss something?
Why were did the resistance on New Caprica all end up being the final five Cylons?
Doesn't make sense.

Blake's 7's a hell of a series. There's not the slightest doubt in my mind people are put off by its dubious production values but in the end they're the ones doing themselves the disservice.

macross and its peculiar hybridized brother robotech, I am not ashamed
also s(h)ammy is best girl

Attached: ep18_shammy_teases_loli.png (720x540, 782K)

>that scene in BSG when Adama finds out Saul is a Cylon and goes apeshit
K I N O

youtube.com/watch?v=_aO42R8GtvE

Attached: 1555556399726.gif (682x944, 102K)