I'm about to watch this for the first time. Do I watch the English dub or Japanese with subtitles?

I'm about to watch this for the first time. Do I watch the English dub or Japanese with subtitles?

Attached: index.jpg (189x267, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wec6QmAZd5Y
youtu.be/_KvseLO2apA
youtube.com/watch?v=ETmU-RYhcVk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

english with japanese subs

Who the fuck watches an anime in a language other than Japanese? Watch it in Japanese with subs, you fucking dipshit. It's extremely unnatural to watch anything from any country in another language that isn't its own, except for watching American stuff in other languages because foreign tongue is better than listening to the cancerous lingua known as "English."

(You)

Try the dub for the first 10 minutes and form your own opinion instead of being an NPC. You can always switch to the sub if you hate it.

What it in Japanese but only because the dub is horrendous as usual.

based

English dub, it's highly visual and kind of stupid to watch the words at the bottom of the screen most of the time.

>He can't read a line at a glance
Pathetic culture, America is. And I say that as an American that reads daily.

Cucker

I read every day too, the love notes and nudes your mom won't stop sending me.

The original dub is so bad that it's almost a must-watch (pioneer iirc)
They all talk with stupid NY accents and end sentences with 'huh?' way too much

My mom is dead fag. Learn to read.

sub

this, but most dub voice acting is garbage

Go read a book, you obviously have no respect for the medium of film

>my mom is dead
good

Just stream it directly into your consciousness.

????

You either watch anime in it's original Japanese with no subs or you watch it dubbed in your native language. Weebs who watch anime in jap audio but with english subs are just trying to COPE for being brainlets unable to understand Japanese.

I liked the original dub, you peabrains.

mostly in nipp, except for the DISCIPLINE scene

Polish dub Zulu subtitles

desu I like the original English dub. It's ratty and unpolished which helps to sell the characters as vagrant bikers. The new dub is useless.

Anymore anime like this. I enjoyed it and I usually avoid anime like the plague. Grave of the Fireflies gets mentioned alot. Might check that one out.

Jap + subs unless you're german or know german - the old german dub is fucking ace.

Didn’t the original english dub have Kaneda voiced by the guy that did Leonardo from the Ninja Turtles cartoon? That alone should be reason to watch.

I'm with you, but I can't stand any eye-bugged language so to me it has to be in english

Is the dub on Hulu the old one or the new one?

>Grave of the Fireflies
its shit
i guess that if you liked akira something like ghost in the shell should be a good rec

What about this?

Attached: 8E0EC47B-6007-4FFC-8645-3A3778D7C0CC.jpg (324x445, 35K)

Anyone with any respect for film would always watch it in it's native language.

I couldn't find it in Japanese

Beautiful visuals, but overrated, convoluted mess of a story. Supposedly due to trying to cram tons of story from the manga in a two hour movie.

this, literally every movie has to be in English for me, even if it's a dub, because English is objectively the only good language and all non English speakers worldwide should irrefutably be genocided

Don’t listen to that other user, grave of the fireflies is kino

(Tips fedora)

Akira actually had a pretty good dub. It's probably the only anime I would say pick whatever you want. There are some good lines in the dub.

> You could at least tell me your name ya cold bitch!

It's less unnatural with Akira since it was the first anime to hit the west and have any success and the dub of course has a lot to do with that.

I honestly think that most pre-90s anime is fine with English dub because the original Japanese voice work was often crappy as well so might as well go with the one that doesn't need subtitles.

Akira is great for the animation and music. The story literally doesn't make sense (read the comic for that. Goes into tons of detail) there isn't really much that rivals akira from that era. Avoid series and stick to ova's and full featured films. Most of them don't require you to have seen the anime series and stand on their own.

The Akira dude did a movie I forget the name of but was a series of short stories that was cool.

> Macross 1 and 2
> Perfect blue
> Ghost in the shell (story mostly doesn't make sense like Akira but has pretty animation)
> Macross plus

If you like the grungy stuff all the MANGA video stuff is cool some of it has weak animation though. Devilman is pretty awesome.

Attached: 200px-MangoEntertainmentLogo.png (200x202, 19K)

Some are pretty bad like 70s kungfu but have a vibe/comedic element to it making it entertaining.

>say it with me
Always in the original language.

ugh, wtf is that question, go back to watch your dumb realities mate

If an anime is set in Japan, I'll usually watch the sub

But if it's a western-influenced anime like cowboy bebop or berserk, I'll go with the dub

Attached: 215173788.jpg (1000x1000, 48K)

>berserk
>dubbed
trash taste

read the manga

dumb as fuck
american dub is awful and sounds autistic

youtube.com/watch?v=Wec6QmAZd5Y

ASIRA
ASIRA
ASIASIASIRA

>Ghost in the shell (story mostly doesn't make sense like Akira but has pretty animation)
>The story literally doesn't make sense
The worst kind of anime watcher.

Rare case where English is better, but there is a bad dub and a good version. I think Pioneer has the bad dub.

The soundtrack for Akira is genuinely perfect.
youtu.be/_KvseLO2apA

Yeah haha so funny
But the actual show is still 999 times better with the original voice acting
And my dubs confirm

I do that as well, except with exceptions like DBZ.

fuck yea

BAAAAAAH BAAAAAAA

DUUUUUUUUN

When I watch with English, I think, "cartoon"

When I watch with Japanese, I think, "anime"

youtube.com/watch?v=ETmU-RYhcVk

I double checked, so yeah the streamline dub is more "fun, and loose" whereas the pioneer dub is more accurate or something. I prefer streamline.

What was the moral of this story?

The new dub for the entire movie, up until the olympic stadium scene, then switch to the old dub, and then back for the rest of the movie

Fuck you and your moralities. Did it ever occurred to you that this transcends morality?

But, really it's an allegory of the corruption of power.

the new one. Do and just watch the ten minute clip on youtube of tetsuos transformation and then switch back

Don't bully weak nerds

The amount of liabilities and changes made with dubs especially these days makes it seem like you are watching a completely different show at times. Doesn't matter if its anime of a french film, watching it with the original voices is always far superior

I mean dubs for one always get the trash voice actors from the industry because they can't get better roles.
The problem is anime dubbing is such a niche industry and the people who watch them don't seem to really care so we never get anything better

'moral of the story' is not about morality you retard. It basically means 'what is the lesson of the story?'

It's just a spectacle, really. Otomo's seed of an idea was two gang members having a falling out (Kaneda and Tetsuo). Settings wise, he liked urban decay, industrial complexes, places sweltering with humanity. That's how Akira came about, from those simple ideas.

So there's no moral. His storytelling style is purely visual and cinematic. It's just crazy fucked up shit happening. People getting gored and infrastructure collapsing.

His stories invoke visceral emotions more than anything philosophical or intellectual.

Does the manga go further past the ending point of the movie? As in another arc

This is the answer for literally every anime. Not only that, but every single animated film or series in any language. Animation is always dubbed because cartoon characters can't actually fucking talk because they're fucking cartoons, so if you have the option to watch it dubbed in your native language that's always the most logical option and this shouldn't even be debated. The only reason it is is because of autistic weebs.

Told to children, so they learn their lesson to not do whatever because it's wrong. Why is it wrong, because it's immoral.

I was fucking with you before, but literally fuck you.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Attached: akira-transformation.png (525x295, 213K)

Except the fact the script is changed during the dubbing process and is most cases the voice acts used for dubs are fucking trash. If good vocie actors were actually used for dubs you might have the start of an argument

Animation is always dubbed because most animation is aimed at kids who don't know any better

>being this fucking retarded

Attached: 1554484506403.png (640x378, 230K)

k guys

Attached: 1556163156056.jpg (1250x1516, 292K)

Would you watch a french film in English or an English film in Chinese? People same to always get hung up on Japanese film with the dubbing argument but the same is true for every single culture.
Why resort to watching something inferior just because most people don't pay enough attention in a film to even notice the difference between a DVD or Blu ray film in regards to video and audio quality.
Next someone is going to try make the Argument that Disney Blu-Rays are good because they are 'sharper'

..........what?

Attached: 1553397139117.jpg (700x700, 32K)

Reminder the average Yea Forums poster is the guy who sits in a cinema who constantly asks his friend to explain what is going on

Nope, but many characters are fleshed out and contribute to the story that only appear for a minute in the film.
The Clown Gang, the blind nun and her monks, Kaori, even Akira himself.
The manga books are six volumes and can be found in most libraries, also the art is lush.

It's like the average person these days has ADHD and can't actually stay focused on a film. I don't even think most younger people can finish a book these days which is kind of sad.

It was Memories btw, good watch

It’s equally dumb and over rated either way

the closest anime i can think of to akira is maybe cowboy bebop in the sense that both are cyberpunk/ scifi adventures with relatively upbeat tone with serious dramatic story sections and incredible animation, you can also check out the movie if you dont want to watch the full thing. grave of the fireflies is good in a very specific context of telling a story about ww2 japanese civilians but its not particularly entertaining as its trying really hard to be sad and be a tear jerker so if you are a robot like me, you can appreciate how hard its trying but not come away with too much other than going " wow being a jap in ww2 sucks"

the way anime does dialogue only works for the jap language, most of their phrases dont have good equivalents in english. like how the fuck do you dub that shit where they go "EHHHHHHHH??" without making the american VA sound like a complete autistic fuck living in a different dimension

(You)

Attached: D4FC63A2-B565-474E-AFC9-0123E0DA3040.jpg (1024x922, 176K)

This
Original English dub best dub

Patlabor 2 and The Wings of Honnêamise

A major problem with depending on subs is missing out on the animation while trying to read what they're saying.

Not the moral, but what it's about is the effect that the bombs had on the Japanese psyche and what the future threat and memories of total annihalation hanging over a place has.

It's almost totally alien thematically to a non-japanese audience. Especially post cold-war generations.

Attached: japan.webm (512x320, 2.88M)

normally i'd agree with you, but none of the dialogue, relationships, characters, original performances or even the story really are particularly good in Akira and the visual spectacle and world-building is absolutely incredible.

So i think the dub is a valid choice for this, especially as there is a fair bit of exposition and armchair psychology word vomit. Not as bad as patlabor 2, but bad.

Gonna need a sauce on that, boss.

they say the name of the film in the webm

honestly you get used to reading subs and it becomes a non issue.

The english re-dubbed is fine.

Paprika is really good. Very different story and setting than Akira, but absolutely gorgeous animation and none of the stereotypical anime bullshit

Paprika has the same problem as Akira but 100x worse. The story is abject garbage, it's solely an (amazing) animation test but it's a terrible film. I can't imagine watching it not stoned and enjoying it.

Watch it with Hungarian subs, because why the fuck not