What went so horribly wrong? This is the man who made Clerks, Dogma and Chasing Amy...

What went so horribly wrong? This is the man who made Clerks, Dogma and Chasing Amy. None of them masterpieces by any means, but at least they felt like movies made by someone who had something to say. I mean, what the fuck happened? How the hell did he devolve into this blubbering idiot sucking Mouse dick on YouTube?

Attached: kevin-smith.jpg (930x1280, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt3838992/videoplayer/vi2860037145?ref_=tt_ov_vi
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

he grew up, nigga, try it too

What did he have to say, again?

He started huffing his own farts.

College roommate insisted we listen to his podcast.

>at this point I'm pretty much synonymous with hockey
>a bloo bloo bloo Affleck won't return my calls

And dropped.

He's smoked every gram of brain out of his head.

He was always a fucking hack

>having a drawing of yourself on your t shirt

Everyone says weed, but it was really podcasting that ruined Kevin Smith.
After that he would talk about his ideas instead of writing scripts or getting projects off the ground. It enabled him to stop caring

I know he likes hockey but why the blackhawks? isn't he from jersey?

Weed.
He is the living proof that smoking weed will turn you into a retard

He is one of my favourite directors but he should just fuck off and stop embarrassing himself.

>making instagram posts about the buckets of tears you shed on JJ's TFA set is growing up

He had stories to tell, and his social commentary, however superficial, was still on point while also managing to be entertaining. He took the mundane and elevated it into an art form. Even Clerks 2 was at least halfway decent.

Is weed actually capable of causing that kind of damage and character deterioration?

He never had anything interesting to say. His only good movie wa Clerks, and only in that pretentious critic's darling way. The only reason why Chasing Amy was so loved by critic's was because it came out after Mallrats, and it was literally the case of "Damn, Kevin Smith can still write like THAT?". By today's standards Chasing Amy is cringe as fuck.
After that he made flukes and decided to live the rest of his life from his name alone. There's nothing wrong in that, considering he was never good to begin with. I mean fuck, I remember when his name was written down next to Tarantula as the big mainstream arthouse director.

Weed + Self indulgent activities like recording your every thought for podcasts are a dangerous combination

I hate his facial expression now. He looks like he had a mental breakdown, but he says he only does it because he doesn't want to look moody anymore.

Nah, early Smodcast is amazing. Around episode 80 I think he started smoking weed and the quality immediately dropped. They're like two different ppl know. I hate modern Kev but the early one was so fucking funny and an amazing storyteller.

He used to publicly call Reese Witherspoon Greasy Reesey and now he refuses to even say anything remotely negative about a stupid movie because 'there is already so much negativity in the world'.

Weed completely ruined him followed closely by having a feminazi wife.

> Is weed actually capable of causing that kind of damage and character deterioration?

only if you smoke a lot before 25 or something.

>>making instagram posts about the buckets of tears you shed on JJ's TFA set is growing up
no, but showing off is underaged daughter is

It's not as bad as the era where he continually wore bright orange/blue hockey jerseys every day of the week just because he considered it to be his lucky jersey colours

>his daughter's ass

Attached: 1558546133858.png (412x409, 147K)

You know why.

He once told a story about watching Avatar in bed with his wife abd she started kicking him during it cuz 'men ruin everything'. How do you live with someone like that and not become a complete pussy?

kek

It looks like he's had a mental breakdown because that kind of thought process is indicative of a mental breakdown.

>Is weed actually capable of causing that kind of damage and character deterioration?

He started doing weed surprisingly late and I doubt it has had much too do with his shitty later movies, if anything it might have played a part in Tusk coming to be which apart from the neighbor Depp cameo was a pretty entertaining experiment.

I think he just writes stuff he knows (slacking. movie making, religion) and ran out things to say and lost touch with first the youth/current generation and then his older fanbase.

Yoga Hosers is pretty much Stoned Dad Humor the movie.

Attached: related.png (260x383, 184K)

>Is weed actually capable of causing that kind of damage and character deterioration?

If all you do is record yourself pontificating and talking about how much you jerk off, it can be surprisingly damaging.

Especially when you have just enough of an audience to approve of your antics and fuel you thinking, for example, that because your friends got you into hockey it means you're synonymous.

Attached: 1559475225682.jpg (750x694, 75K)

He smoked too much pot. Dropped 15 IQ points.

This. All I know is I used to love the guy and now I'm ashamed I have his DVDs and books in my collection.

The early ones were good because he had stories to tell. But continuing to do that all the time is horrible for a lazy creative like Kevin Smith. Weed only made it worse. But he started breaking the golden rule, talking about projects before he started making them and thus jinxing them. How many Jay and Silent bob reboots and clerks/Mallrats sequels has he hyped up that went nowhere? Podcasting made it so he didn't need to try anymore, he'd always have his hardcore smodcast fans.
The reason he can be stoned is because of the podcasts

>If all you do is record yourself pontificating and talking about how much you jerk off, it can be surprisingly damaging.
You forget the relentless self deprecation.

>They're like two different ppl know. I hate modern Kev but the early one was so fucking funny and an amazing storyteller.

Oh go suck "old kev"'s dick you whining fanboy, if anything is constant its kevin's touring/podcast shtick.

>and books
Top fucking kek

>The early ones were good because he had stories to tell.

Not true. Listen to him and Scott make up scenarios, Kev is lightning fast and funny. After weed every time Scott says anything renotemy funny he starts wheezing and laughing without adding anything and when he actually does add something it's so drawn out that it's not funny.

How am I a fanboy when I just said I hate him?

To be fair, My Boring Ass Life is worth a read just for Mewes drug addiction parts alone.

For all the shit you give him and Tarantino, we never would have had the independent film boom that we did if it weren't for them. You wouldn't have your A24s and whatnot if those two didn't do their thing back in the 90s. If not for them, Ed fucking Burns would be hailed as the savior of independent film. Do you want to live in that fucking timeline? Cause I fucking don't. Fuck Ed Burns. Fuck The Brothers McMullen. Fuck No Looking Back. And especially fuck Sidewalks of New York.

He's an everyman who got a chance at the big time. That's what his appeal is to his fans. That guy is always busy and stoned so of course his content is going to be terrible. He still has some interesting things to say every now and then.

>crying at capeshit counts as growing up in 2019
I want off this ride.

>None of them masterpieces by any means, but at least they felt like movies made by someone who had something to say.
>I mean, what the fuck happened?
Nothing. He grew up and found other outlets. You just don't like his other outlets (and I dont blame you), but it's pretty normal.

No. Not for adults. It should have the opposite effect if anything, being a useful adjunct to creativity. Like I said, though, he just has other creative outlets. If you were in a rock band in your early 20's, you better find new shit to do in your late 20's because you're hitting the wall (for angsty edge).

>Is weed actually capable of causing that kind of damage and character deterioration
no but zoomer puritan retards believe it is

Smith and Tarantino were definitely pioneers, for lack of a better word. I'm not trying to take that away from either of them, just wondering how Smith in particular end up the way he is today.

>kojima vs the virgin chad

>relentless self deprecation

Tempered by the endless need to talk over all guests and spout off at the mouth.

No, elaborate

He was overly content with his life. He moved away from Jersey to LA, started posh life in suburbs with a pretty wife and kid, lost his roots. He lost his edge. Also he dropped cigarettes. Nicotine makes you stressed but active while weed turns you in a lazy fuck. Directing and writing are demanding jobs.

I never really liked him when I was as a kid, still don't like him as an adult. It's like he was always the defacto comic book guy, but when it was time to show up, his work felt meh.
It seems like his whole brand is "I'm just some dude that likes geek shit and weed."

>for Mewes drug addiction parts alone.
Used to listen to his/their podcasts (unironically while excersing) and got the basic gist.

2bh, you're not wrong. He grew up. When we grow up we become hollow, ridiculous parodies of ourselves. Just look at all the over-the-hill Gen Xers clotting up the scenery these days: old and busted former "kewl boys" with "kewl boy tattoos" sagging off their sagging, aging skin, maybe they were vital and passionate at one point, genuinely fun and/or insightful when it came to living life and seeing the world, now a bunch of fucking potbellied jokers riding around in their domestic SUVs blasting Pearl Jam and trying to recapture a feeling long since dead. Guys like Kevin Smith are now as yoked and clueless as the baby boomers they used to scoff at, only it's a thousand times worse because the stains of their youth is still upon them sagging and rotting like a fucking carcass.

Attached: 72394705615.png (838x800, 840K)

tldr

He turned into a 24/7 stoner

Keeping riding around in that SUV chubby trying to act like your shitty tribal tat scar tissue isn't hanging off of you like an empty ballsack and like you didn't sell out to all the shit you used to act like you were "above."

I'm 21 and i don't know what the hell you're talking about, enjoy becoming more and more unhinged as the years go by you fucking weirdo.

WHY DOES HE KEEP MAKING THAT FUCKING FACE IN EVERY PICTURE? DOES HE STAY LIKE THAT IN VIDEO INTERVIEWS TOO WHAT TH EFUCKKKKK

Insecurity is every fat man's fire or fuel. It will generally destroy him but sometimes will push him to try to prove he's worth a damn.

Smoking weed makes you feel ok at being who and what you are. For a fat, lazy person, weed is a death sentence unless, you have a legion of morons that hang on your every word.

Weed culture isn't edgy anymore because it's legal or borderline legal in most countries. The world is also so shitty these days "stoner logic" falls flat as it's hard to be peaceful during a war (culture war is still a war).

She's out of his league (which is not saying much) and she fucks him. He doesn't have to change who he is and gets someone to love him.

Ouch

t. Genexer

You clearly aren't the target here so no one gives a shit kiddo, go cry on Insta

I was just letting you know nobody is gonna read your cringey rant post, go yell at random people on the street you schizophrenic fuck.

She openly fucks other guys.

Imagine still using Yea Forums after 21.
What a waste of space.

Attached: 1532231823902.png (420x420, 256K)

Agreed.

Linklater, Burns, Van Zant, Jarmusch and others were all doing there indy thing at the same time and in some cases, much earlier, but only Kev, QT, Favreau/Liman made independent films that were that mix of being actually fun, personal, and profitable. Rodriguez too, but he's more of a borderline case.

What in the fuck, rea lly?

Clerks seemed like an accident too

I remember watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and wondering why one of the hot lady thieves wasn't actually hot, and didn't even look good.
It was his wife. WOOF!

For real? Where did you hear that?

What the fuck are you talking about?

absolutely nothing!

Embarrassing. Have sex

The fuck you on? Please have dilation

To the people that say Clerks is a good film, you should watch it! It's horrible!

You grew up, cunt.

You should see how Iranian filmmakers shoot their films. Ameritards.

Dick sucking pioneers maybe. Your Hollywood-centric view of cinema is far from truthful, thankfully.

She's adequate for him, but when you put her side by side with 20 year old Eliza Dushku and Shannon Elizabeth, the contrast is painful. I get why he cast her (trying to score points/save cash on the casting/delusional that she's that attractive) but...it's kinda of awkward.

Jay and Silent Bob strike back was his best film.

Yup, she's what ppl mean when they say feminazi. He's told so many stories like that about her.

He's talked about how she bitched she wasn't in one of his movies so he put her in that. Mind you, they got together after Chasing Amy so the only movie she wasn't in was Dogma.

>Movie maker makes movie about making movies
Yeah no

>culture war
We get it, you're not a shitposting fatso but a "culture warrior".

I just find it extra silly that it was watching Avatar of all things, one of the tamest movies of all time. Can't even imagine how she'd get with anything of actual substance.

Yeah, she's fucking crazy.

Is it randal to get him to change his mind on clerks 3?

He didn't have a lot to say, which is why the well ran dry so quickly.

He met Seth Rogan who got him to start smoking weed.

Also just a generally soft guy who spent most of his life at this point in LA where you have to suck corporate dick and roll over any time someone doesn't like an opinion of yours.

That's actually not what made him addicted to weed. The weekend Zack and Miri came out it was a failure and he couldn't deal so he started smoking all the time.

Sounds like you have something to say. Maybe you should be the one making movies.

I don't think he's addicted to weed, I just think becoming a stoner is a tipping point of losing his hunger for movie making and easing into a more industry/LA friendly lifestyle.

the real problem is he's acting like that guy after you've been smoking for years that introduce weed to for the first time then try to talk about strains and philosophy every time they get high after that.
tl;dr
he's trying too hard by attempting to appear cool and craving an insufferable amount of attention

Hanging around too much libtards. Infectious creatures the lot of em

>He grew up. When we grow up we become hollow, ridiculous parodies of ourselves.
That's completely wrong. You become a "parody of yourself" when you stop growing. You don't have to completely re-invent yourself, but if you're not moving into a new phase every ~7 years or so, you're doing it wrong.

You cringe at all these boomers and xoomers because they're still clinging to past glory (or imagined past glory) instead of moving on and this is mostly because we live in a culture that glorifies youth.

>bro gotta watch this movie it's hilarious
>There's only one Return of that's return of the jedi
>dropped

pretty sure he's Canadian, so really his only options are the maple leafs or the habs

It's cute people think industry people are actually liberal and aren't just taking the most socially safe stance on everything.

why is this rando football fan's opinions so important?

Failures upon failures
Hollywood doesn't like that
BUT since he made some $$$ early for it he was granted a pardon
He could still work as long as he sucked everyones dick

Smoking weed all the time,
having one to many heart attacks,
going VEGAN all the way,
and more ... sure didn't help.

Attached: artworks-000307956480-ss882u-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 76K)

Only Watched Clerks And Dogma
Clerks Is Really Nice If You're Into The 90s
Dogma Is All Over The Place
I've Seen Him On Jewtube Here And There
He Sounds Like A Pretentious Dogfucker

Not just this, but the dude's art never grew up as he did. He's 50, but still trying to make movies that appeal to 20-year-old stoners, and he's just too out of touch to do that.

You type like a pretentious dogfucker

low iq post

>imagine thinking it was a good idea to make this photo

>This is the man who made Clerks
yeah, a fucking piece of shit, like him, he's the worst asshat in Hollywood "Le geek pop culture" fucking cuck

AMEN

BASTE

Weed funny enough

So THIS is the power of gomad and ss

His podcasts are way better than his movies. Unfortunately all the best ones are behind a paywall now (Stitcher """Premium""").

Besides, his only good movie is Clerks, let's be honest.

I think Jen is a pretty cool person but she does buy into the meme of 'hating men is cool because the patriarchy'. Meanwhile, she's a good looking, smart, thin, college educated, rich white woman who constantly reminds her husband they have no prenuptial agreement.

Chasing Amy was proto-cuck garbage

In what way is she cool?

He never realized that you're supposed to grow beyond your late teens / early 20's years. All these manchildren are cancer.

>How do you live with someone like that and not become a complete pussy?
You bend them over your knee and spank them like the child they are for throwing a tantrum. Women NEED training, and they EXECT you to train them.

>has passionate interests
>is moderately funny
>mostly a nice person
>has good social skills
>cares about society and the environment
I'm not her fucking biographer, but I've listened to the podcasts she did with Kevin. [Plus 1 and Plus 1 Per Diem, which was a daily morning show in 2011 and, I think, got renamed to 'SMornings' or something. I like Kevin's podcasts.]

I listened to Per Diem and all I got from it was that she was boring. Been s long tho, might be forgetting something.

Everyone is a culture warrior today though. It is the zeitgeist we are all dissolved in now. You can't run or hide from it anymore the way xoomers and boomers could.

Well, podcasts are pretty subjective. It's fair if you just don't like her.

Per Diem was mostly ads anyway.

Yeah, I listened when they started out and the TESD guest hosts.

Fuck off and come back when you learn that not every word gets capitalized you fucking idiot.

>Linklater, Jarmusch, Lee, Lynch don't exist

It's flat gullible to believe otherwise. When they are at the forefront of every left wing protest. Spout libtard rhetoric on social media, award shows, sporting events. It's more than taking a stance, it's full-on activisism.

What do you define as 'liberal'? Like what are some examples things a liberal person might say?

Post it.

Attached: 12512621612.png (525x444, 143K)

Imagine wasting the best years of your life instead. What a bigger waste of space.

Artists are more often than not extremely emotional weirdos with personality disorders. With Kevin Smith you know he's not faking it for likes...he really IS a weirdo who faints from poor electrolyte balance after crying so much during every movie.

I'm convinced Kevin can turn his career around. He's turning 50 soon, he's in fantastic shape and looks the best he's ever looked.

Give him an MCU role Disney!

I don't know why it happened but I wish it would end.

Attached: kevin smith cringe.jpg (501x866, 90K)

>he doesn't want to look moody anymore.
He wants to look s o y because the market is s o y

>Yoga Hosers
>wtf is that
>IMDB 4.3
>how can it be that bad?
>trailer
it just keeps getting worse...

imdb.com/title/tt3838992/videoplayer/vi2860037145?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Kev talked about it on smodcast a few years ago when cuck-shaming was a thing

guys why is harley so cute

She has one of the most stereotypically Jewish faces I've ever seen.

Boomers > Xirs

More like extreme Left than liberals. Libtards arent that bad.

Nerd culture = free money for minimal effort

He ran out of things to say so he keeps making the same topical movies except worse iterations. Also those topics aren't very topical anymore. The fact that the chick in Chasing Amy was a dyke was topical and new in the mid 90s; no one gives a shit now.

>extreme Left
Ah, so like people on twitter who say edgy far-left shit.
>kill the rich!
>abolish all borders!
blah blah blah, etc etc etc.

Weed is literally designed to hold you back by making you lazy and saturating your pleasure centers so you don't biologically need to achieve things to feel good.

Also it makes you feel like sitting around all day watching movies.

>watch movies all day
>Yea Forums
isn't that what we do anyway? Not saying I disagree with you.

If every conversation you have with people is either centered around weed or ends up becoming about weed, you're a lost cause.

WWYD

Attached: Harley-Quinn-Smith-Yoga-Hosers-003-466x700.jpg (466x700, 83K)

The only thing noteworthy to come from Yoga Hosers is a Nazi war criminal talking like Sylvester Stallone for absolutely no reason.

a fucking fridge

I think what actually happened was he was extremely insecure about criticism. It's blatantly obvious that at some point he just said to himself "I'm just going to make bad movies on purpose and identify as a shitty director," in an attempt to make himself bulletproof as far as being critiqued goes. Every time I hear him speak, he goes on and on about how he's a bad director/filmmaker and how he knows his stuff isn't for everyone. That's total bullshit and really a pathetic excuse for giving up.

>acting as if celebrities don't use Twitter as a vehicle to push leftist ideology.

Attached: 1558492635693.jpg (640x480, 38K)

you what now?

Pot. Plain & simple.

Saw it with a co-worker at a previous job; Competent worker. He started hanging with the wrong crowd. Started smoking pot. Gained a ton of weight. HR eventually told him to get lost after he began to slack off at work. Tried keeping up with him post-work but he became a free spirit and left the area during the early Internet years. Don't know whatever happened to him.

>Weed is literally designed
Topkek

Now that's a smodcast I'd actually listen!

I've listened to every episode of smodcast and he never said that. He did joke a few times about how horrified and hurt he would be if she cheated on him, if that's what you count as... whatever that other user said that he said.