So why exactly is it so hard for anything that comes out of Terry Pratchet to be kino...

So why exactly is it so hard for anything that comes out of Terry Pratchet to be kino? It's mostly schlocky made for tv movies

Attached: 1460333225118.png (1258x1575, 2.51M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nsh-pj7R4mA
scifinow.co.uk/news/terry-pratchetts-truckers-new-clips-show-restoration/
youtube.com/watch?v=HGKP2vVwcDg
youtube.com/watch?v=FJIaTBB72CM
terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld-reading-order/
discworldemporium.com/content/6-discworld-reading-order
bookriot.com/2018/09/11/discworld-reading-order/
lspace.org/main.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the tv shows have been good enough

>everything Nolan writes is unoriginal
IMAGINE MY SHOCK

confirmed for not reading any of the books.
they contain jokes.

the jokes are mostly in the prose it doesn't translate very well

The BBC has just started making a six part series called 'The Watch' based on discworld, not sure how to feel

A lot of the jokes are about wordplay. There is also shitton of worldbuilding infodumps.

10% chance they do it justice
90% chance they cast idris elba as carrot

>Good Omens with Michael Sheen and David Tennant
fuck yes!

>An Amazon Prime series
fuck no

>It's mostly schlocky made for tv movies
It's always low budget, with kinda shitty writing and casting. He isn't popular enough to warrant enough effort and money to be put in to produce kino. Its a shame.
Also this, its probably pretty difficult to translate the humour.

I don't give a fuck about the book

>>lit

This was actually quite well done, Didn't like the golem design though

Attached: GP.jpg (1600x1200, 1.96M)

Cast him, Yea Forums

Attached: Vimes.jpg (500x500, 58K)

Hogfather was good

Young Clint Eastwood

Charles Dance as Lord Vetinari would have been pretty good casting if they bothered fondue his hair the right colour.

Seems to me that the best format would be animation with a large helping of narration. The charm is in the prose
I think this series might be too fun-loving for audiences of today

youtube.com/watch?v=nsh-pj7R4mA
scifinow.co.uk/news/terry-pratchetts-truckers-new-clips-show-restoration/

Attached: Truckers.jpg (1280x960, 145K)

How old did you imagine Rincewind to be when you read the books?
Also is Twoflower meant to represent the stereotypical Japanese tourist

Like 60's and no he's a Yank.

Attached: 768full-ray-winstone.jpg (768x1024, 149K)

>Set in the fictional Discworld's principal city of Ankh-Morpork, The Watch was described by Terry Pratchett as a "Pratchett-style CSI"[14] and by Narrativia as a "punk rock thriller".[1] It is to have an episodic storyline, following the format of a "crime of the week" as tackled by the city's police force under the command of Sam Vimes.[2]

Supposedly it's still being made

Attached: The_Night_Watch.jpg (1500x2339, 632K)

Jared Harris

I thought like late 20s early 30s, he's meant to be a failed student
I don't know how long wizards go to college for though

Attached: 1370069914347.png (989x2197, 237K)

youtube.com/watch?v=HGKP2vVwcDg
Already done in the nineties, with
>Christopher Lee as the voice of Death.

I've tried numerous times to get into Pratchett and I just can't do it. I like the idea behind Discoworld the metaphysics seem cool enough but his writing style and humour do not interest me at all. The only one I have read is The Colour of Magic and I've heard from more hardcore Pratchett fans that may be the worst place to start but I'm willing to give him another chance. Would you say Guards, Guards! or The Fifth Elephant are more accessible?

this is too nice for Yea Forums, what are all these pratchett fans doing here?

>I like the idea behind Discoworld the metaphysics seem cool enough but his writing style and humour do not interest me at all.
If you're looking for autistic magic systems may I suggest Sanderson?

>tfw always try to read in voices like i'm reading it to my future kids
>never got Death right

Shitty animation, shitty character design. Could be done much better

I read The Final Empire and I wasn't impressed. Wound up loving China Mieville's works though. Maybe different tone and humour to Pratchett but similar sort of subjects they are dealing with.

The Watch series is generally considered to be the best one so start with Guards Guards and go from there

Or do Going Postal and Making Money but I didn't think Raising Steam was that great, it's one of the ones that was sort of ghostwritten after he started to decline

The ones I have on hand are: The Fifth Elephant, Guards! Guards! Making Money, The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic omnibus. Will give the others a good read when I can.

start with Guards Guards then, don't read Making Money until you've read Going Postal. Fifth Elephant is pretty far along in the Watch series, you'll miss a lot.

To be honest Pratchett's sense of humor is a constant throughout his books. It can be a bit much, but even though some of the jokes might not land, you may find others very funny indeed. I think it's kind of like Airplane where there are constant jokes and not all of them are created equal

Small Gods is my favorite. Hogfather is good, too.

Attached: 1415309091317.jpg (80x89, 5K)

This, and you're not supposed to expect LOTR level prose from these books. They're just for fun, like Asprin's MYTH books. Or the book form of Red Dwarf. They're supposed to be funny, not epic sagas.

>book form of Red Dwarf. They're supposed to be funny
I read, It was sad/dark when compared to the series

Its a reasonably cheap TV series from the nineties. What did you expect? Of course better could be done.
But it's quite charming for what it is, and the dialogue is great.
>"I didn't become a soldier for this, not to go around killing people!"
There's also one for Soul Music.

>The BBC has just started making a six part series called 'The Watch'

NO. NO GODDAMMIT IS NOTHING SACRED

If they fuck up Vimes or Vetinari I will straight up murder someone I swear to god.

I want to FUCK Magrat!

It's been going through the works since 2011

There are many of us, in hiding on various boards. Hush.

Attached: Discworld_Mice_TWO_by_Tanken.jpg (300x300, 17K)

Oh, I thought that project was cancelled because it took so bloody long. I'm going to hope it will be in development hell forever.

Attached: Discworld_Mice_by_Tanken.png (504x468, 143K)

Adaptation when?

Attached: LongEarth.jpg (1629x500, 826K)

This is true. I cannot fault his performance though, twas kino.

I read in an old interview once that Pratchett wanted Alan Rickman for the role. And now they are both dead. This fucking timeline is the worst.

*one shots literally every villain in any universe ever*
Cast him.

Attached: Carrot.png (500x938, 936K)

If you've tried numerous times but only managed to read one book, then he really isn't for you. While the tone of the world softens after the first few books, the style and humour stays true and is what people tend to enjoy.
Try Hitchhikers Guide instead.

>90% chance they cast idris elba as carrot
I expect nothing else and I know I'll still be pissed when it gets announced.

He's from a country that resembles china

> never going to hear Christopher Lee as the voice of death
booo

40-something desu. He's been failing a while, and also:
wizard college seems overly long and tedious anyway.

Attached: sm1.jpg (1019x213, 84K)

Attached: sm2.jpg (1020x236, 119K)

kek

Current Jason Statham with a wig or go back in time and
Or literally go to a pub in some small shitty British village and find the local angry man.

Attached: DWvimes3.jpg (380x590, 166K)

These books were so goddamn boring, there is almost no conflict at all and then they just end. I read the first 2 and couldn’t bother with the rest

Nobody mentioned troll bridge yet?
youtube.com/watch?v=FJIaTBB72CM

Unironically young Brendan.

Attached: Brendan-Fraser-Early-Career.jpg (1685x1317, 237K)

What’s this?

same, and I've only ever read the books

I remember when they casted Charles Dance as Vetinari. How right it felt.

Dark mine sign

They have been planning it for a few years, but only decided to commit to it after his death, so that nobody except his shitlord daughter could watch over the writing process.

>his shitlord daughter
In some one Pratchett's later books there was something really off with them I found, I then discovered all the ones I disliked where co written with her

I have no issue with his daughter and I think it is sweet that she helped him with his final books, but Pratchett is not someone that can be imitated. It's time to let the series rest.

>Pratchett is not someone that can be imitated
That's what I was getting at with

Ahhhhhhhhh

Oh. Oh dear.

>Set in the fictional Discworld's principal city of Ankh-Morpork, The Watch was described by Terry Pratchett as a "Pratchett-style CSI" and by Narrativia as a "punk rock thriller".
>a punk rock thriller

Thanks, I hate it.

Attached: DWrincewind.jpg (140x140, 6K)

I feel kinda bad for her to be honest. She took her father's trade, yet failed to achieve anything significant.
When I call her a shitlord, I refer to her other writing works, which are amazingly mediocre. Her writing reaches a level of average I thought to be impossible. She may be fit for generic AAA vidya trash, but she shouldn't ever touch a goofy series like the Discworld.

That's fake... right?

Brutally honest but fair. Few people have it in them to be writers, let alone genre writers. Joe Hill is the exception, not the rule.

It's a very common trope

You could tell raising steam wasn't entirely his work, the pacing is incredibly choppy. It was a struggle to finish it

His later books had a really weird vibe to them.

Snuff in particular

Ewen bremner

They feel disjointed , it's almost as if you can tell when someone else writing for Pratchett

tfw we'll never get to see her naked in the sewers

Attached: anju.jpg (900x506, 56K)

I've never gotten wistful from Yea Forums before

In his thirties. He wasn't meant to be an old wizzard

What's the deal with Terry Pratchett?
Is he like Tony Hawk?
Are all the books discworld?
None of it looks good.

Well you can fuck right off

>Is he like Tony Hawk?
Are you retarded, son?

Attached: DWcowhat.jpg (337x500, 153K)

Where do I start when it comes to his books?

It's been in development hell for years now.
It missed its time to strike when the iron was hot, and chances are it's never coming out.

I've read some of his side books. I cannot remember most of them for shit, since it was very long ago, but I remember Good Omens being very amusing, and his book about a crashed ship left a mark in my memory, though I couldn't tell you at this point whether it was good or not.

The beginning. (The color of magic)
Or the beginning of the best series (Guards! Guards!)
Or Small Gods

>schlocky made for tv movies
going postal movie is top tier goat m9

Wrestling with a naked young Kate Beckinsale.

For you

You can read them in chronological order but the earlier books can be more difficult to get into. I usually recommend to read Guards! Guards! and if you like that keep reading, and maybe even start from the beginning.

This, basically.

Attached: pratchett.png (1862x320, 82K)

One key thing I noticed about Snuff was how Goblins clashed so utterly with other races.
Terry made a point to ensure every race and culture was a mixture of faults and virtues, with both usually present in their most prominent figures.
The goblins had none of that, they were just the poor oppressed race with no flaws except being ugly and downtrodden, and everyone but dispicable types warmed to them when they saw what their hidden virtues. That's what really caused a discordant note for me.

I really enjoyed Small Gods. I reread it every few years.

terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld-reading-order/

discworldemporium.com/content/6-discworld-reading-order

Attached: the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg (1000x1795, 587K)

bookriot.com/2018/09/11/discworld-reading-order/

I never read Hogfather, but the movie was amazing.
Especially Death was a good as he could be.

Attached: 714G-uAZ8XL._SY445_.jpg (313x445, 36K)

The humor comes from clever wordplay, creative spelling, use of homophones/nyms, footnotes, and other things that only work in written form. Add to that the fact that he loves to use the fact that you can't see what's happening as a narrative device to create mystery, tension, or comedy. The Hogfather movie is okay but it kind of sucks that it being in a visual medium kind of ruins the reveal of Teatime's plan somewhat

>He wanted to go home. He wanted it so much that he trembled at the thought. But if the price of that was selling good men to the night, if the price was filling those graves, if the price was not fighting with every trick he knew…then it was too high.

>"As I recall, they used to sing it after battles," he said. "I've seen old men cry when they sing it," he added.
>"Why? It sounds cheerful."

Attached: 1494011646547.jpg (500x279, 35K)

Didn't care for Teatime, Felt like he was trying to impersonate Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka

Thanks, bros.

is terry the nigga who did those mouse stories where he describes these incredible and tasty feasts?

Here is a nice little Pratchett/Discworld related site
lspace.org/main.html

no that's redwall, brian jacques i think

I'm a bit rusty, so anons can correct me if they disagree.
Start with the first Rincewind books (Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic) if you know anything about the 80s-90s pulp fantasy and the ridiculous stylistics surrounding it
else
Start with Equal Rites (or move on to it from the first two books)
Move on to Mort, if you like it, you can read Reaper Man, even though it came much later down the line
Then read Guards! Guards!
After that, Pyramids and Soul Music.
Now you're acquainted with the three biggest series, as well as the main characters and basic worldbuilding concepts. You can keep reading most liked series in chronological order, or read some of his miniseries/single books, since he takes great care for his every book to be self-contained while being a part of a greater story.

Noice

Also RIP best boy.

Attached: Wuffles.jpg (184x280, 9K)

Attached: that's SIR Terry Pratchett.jpg (789x329, 76K)

take a look at the chart from start with either the witches series, the watch series or the death novels (you can go with wizards but it seems like a lot of fans feel like they take a while to get good and don't stack up as well as the others)

Don't try to read all the books in chronological order. Whichever series you choose, start from the first book and read through that series. There may be characters or reference from other books you won't fully get but Pratchett makes sure that you don't need to read outside the series to understand the one your in (at least until his later novels)

I recommend starting with Mort or Guards Guards. I personally started with Mort which after failing to get into Guards Guards because Mort deals more with events happening across the Discworld and in various time periods so it can serve as a better introduction to the world at large.

What's bizarre though is how "rose _____ly to his feet" matches a plane scene line in TDKR's novelization, not the movie or screenplay, and the novelization had a different author...

Did one of the Nolan brothers tell author Greg Cox "hey, this scene includes a Pratchett reference, you should add another one"?

Attached: 1415744951416.jpg (1000x534, 174K)