60's movie

>60's movie
>tiny helicopter comes up
Did they love the design so much they wanted to include it in every movie? Was it revolutionary? Why don't we see smoll choppers anymore?

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_47
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, I think helicopters in general were fucking revolutionary.

Korean war introduced the helicopter

Attached: mash.jpg (960x557, 717K)

The Bell 47 first flew in 1945 and was the first helicopter approved by the US for civilian operation, so yes, it was revolutionary.

>First helicopter was the Focke Wulf FW61 in 1936
>First practical single main rotor helicopter was the VS-300 in 1939
Stop talking shit you moron.

There were no drones back then so it was a way for filmmakers to include cool aerial establishing shots and up their production value

The bond movie where he gets chased by one of those and kept diving out of it's way had me audibly keking at the absurdity.

It shows up in this movie during the prison breakout scene.

Attached: 525841258.jpg (630x1200, 159K)

Attached: oh-you.jpg (600x453, 22K)

Would you prefer this?

Attached: 1456433547171.jpg (987x689, 56K)

beautiful

There were helos in service in WW2 you idiot.

It was the first widely used and widely recognizable helo.
Also it was *relatively* cheap to own and operate com pared to other models of the day, so it's the one everyone had, so it was the one you could get your hands on without having an uncle who was also an Army general.

It was the Bell Jetranger of the first generation of commercial helicopters. The fact that it had an instantly recognizeable and iconic look and that helos were, of the stuff the the lay public could see and understand, the radical and exciting new technology of the day.

Attached: mash19.jpg (800x536, 123K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_47
Was also literally the first helo certified for civilian use.

a cultural reference is not a joke, redditor

Explain ‘the joke’ then, genius.

Flying banana.

i think it was in Michael Herr's book about ghe Vietnam war, "Dispatches" where he described the Loach helicopter as "pure fucking sex".

You have a problem with the Shawnee?

Attached: 1280x845xpiasecki-ch21-loadup-arvn-pagespeed-ic-63gshrurbm.jpg (1280x845, 124K)

>it ain't me starts playing

>American engineeering

>70s movie
>there's a car chase

Problem?

Attached: AH-56 Cheyenne.webm (634x360, 2.57M)

Haha, never noticed this but now that you mention it, so many of my memories of 60s movies at some point in the film involve one of these little bubble helicopters. 60s Batman for instance.

Totally. Brown suits, bad shaggy combovers, and car chases with really dated sounding action funk-rock with orchestral sections.

And the leading man is always like 53 years old.

>blocks your path

Attached: boeing-ah64-apache_31.jpg (1000x688, 100K)

And at some point there's a shot of a car catching air over one of those hilly streets of San Francisco.

Loach was an OH-6, different helo altogether.

Attached: AH-1 Vietnam.webm (634x360, 1.21M)

Attached: tracking.webm (1280x720, 475K)

*Mash theme starts playing*

>revolutionary
Literally, haha

>And the leading man is always like 53 years old.
Unironically better than modern PG-13 movies where the lead is too young to have chest hair.

>shoots you down

Attached: Airwolf.jpg (1920x1080, 306K)

The Airwolf design was so terrible because it's so obvious it's not armored at all.

Cheap is the only reason. Later the industry got richer and the audience became more picky and more literate about aircrafts so they began to provide variety

God what a sexy helicopter

that lame ass font though

I saw one of these near my Robinson R44