Why don’t fa/tv/irgins become filmmakers?

>go on Yea Forums
>people want to be musicians, make music, share music they’ve made, etc.
>go on Yea Forums
>people want to be writers, they write, share things they’ve written, etc.
>go on Yea Forums
>nobody wants to be a filmmaker, scriptwriter, or actor; nobody makes movies or shares movies they’ve made, etc.
Why is this? A lot of you guys say movies are shit, you could make the kinds of movies you want to see. Lots of girls wanna be actresses, you could meet chicks that way. If you get discovered, it could propel you into a lucrative hollywood career (Nolan started as an indie filmmaker, now he makes big blockbusters). Why don’t any of you guys make movies?

Attached: 517A8BCA-25D7-4576-B458-456247F3103E.png (1200x370, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

myjewishlearning.com/article/the-conversion-process/
discord.gg/HgMphd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nepotism

No jewish connections

We all want to get into the industry but only so we can smell our waifu's panties

Movies take more effort than music or writing.

We don't actually watch films we just mindlessly consume comic book movies and whatever flavor of the month tv show is on

making music and writing books only requires one person. Making a movie requires lots of people, equipment, money and contacts

I watch films, don't tell anyone though

Attached: 1460623005667.png (1127x685, 37K)

have sex
>waah it’s too hard!!”
grow up
watch better movies

HERETIC
HERETIC

Attached: 1555480771155.jpg (387x478, 26K)

awful post

have sex

I do extra work whenever they're filming something in my city. You make new frens and see movie stars and eat good food and pretend to act and get paid and see yourself on the big screen.

Attached: 1543221193512.png (358x231, 50K)

>not jewish
>don't know any jews

Sounds comfy

Attached: 2864D97F-1127-4978-909B-8EA0295D4711.jpg (500x337, 61K)

myjewishlearning.com/article/the-conversion-process/

I'm trying to, I've written scripts but never let anyone read them. I even write meme ones on this board for fun. I have an idea that I think could really work. It'll be cheap to film too. I'm planning the story out right now.

Also we used to have /swg/ but those slowly died out.

Attached: Spec(1).png (1295x891, 47K)

this, and sadly unironically

>buy a mic or use a music program or rap over a stock beat
>"I'm a musician now!"
>buy a pen and a piece of paper or use a computer program to type
>"I'm a writer now!"
vs.
>hire actors, prop guys, makeup artists, special effects artists, expensive cameras and equipment, lighting, staging, a green screen, write the scene and have actors memorize lines, and direct them all to come together perfectly. When you're done, you have to hire a bunch of media outlets to market and shill it properly
It's a little bit different.

Writing and making music are pretty accessible things that you can do alone. Making a movie requires friends, and getting into the actual business is a pipe dream.

>hire actors, prop guys, makeup artists, special effects artists, expensive cameras and equipment, lighting, staging, a green screen, write the scene and have actors memorize lines, and direct them all to come together perfectly. When you're done, you have to hire a bunch of media outlets to market and shill it properly
Or you could just shoot a cheap short film

because they are brainlets with no talent or motivation who don't even like tv and film, and are just addicted to whining about it

>just pull yourself up by Your bootstraps, bro!

I will be a screenwriter, screen cap this post

cringe

Every day you cry about it is a day you could be doing something about it.

No one gives a fuck about shitty indie short films and there is almost never any money to be made from them, unless they become cult films for normgroids to laugh at.

Who are you quoting? Have sex

>cringe boomer """wisdom""""""
big yikes if i may say so

You can make music by yourself.
You can write books by yourself.
You can't make a movie my yourself.
Also movies are way more expensive to make than music or books, even really cheap shit can still cost hundreds or thousands. Finding actors worth shit is also hard, one good writer or musician can do just fine on their own, but only having one talented guy on set means the movie is still going to suck.

I'm going to... But not for the fame or anything like that. I'm drawn to filmmaking.

>just walk into that fat kike's office and give his little dick a firm handshake!

Is that the only response you have?

Lmao, I'm not a boomer. It's funny when you tell weak people to work harder, they just break down and attack you because they can't fathom actual hard work.

Cinematography faggot here.

The low end one-man camera I'm currently working towards is just under 8,000 USD. Even shit amateur as fuck actors cost money. I can do virtually all of post myself with enough time but even a short film is going to run me roughly twice my current yearly income - and that's with constraints I'd otherwise deem unacceptable (like shit amateur acting and whack ass sound quality)

Even The Room cost a few million to make and Tommy didn't even pay himself for starring in it.

You're either being unreasonable on purpose or legally shouldn't be allowed to sign binding contracts due to mental deficiency

writing is more impt than anything. just shoot on an iPhone or whatever.

based brainwashed zoomer

I think he means like an actual home movie. But no one would ever watch that, so.

because most of Yea Forums is filled with manchildren who can't do anything but whine about their betters.

Literally this. Take a look at the archive next time you see a kino list thread. You'll notice the same 5-10 lists copied everytime. No one here actually watches old firms, we just say we do, and we actually watch capeshit and just patronize people for doing it

no one starts immediately making blockbusters you millenial faggot
write a script, do a short film/documentary, work as an assistant, make coffee for a movie crew, whatever. get started.

>just suck a kike's cock for 30 years or so and you might get a role dude!

This. Based.

Attached: dummy.jpg (412x590, 29K)

I wish I was a woman. life would be so much easier

Sound quality you can manage, just get a boom pole ($100), mic ($1000) and a field mixer ($500) and you're good to go.
Problem is really the actors. You can find ones that do it for free, but most people who want to act are manlet faggots. I'd want to have actors who have actual charisma and fit the role instead of someone who's overcompensating with some shitty method acting. Problem is, most people who have charisma and aren't faggots don't care about acting because it's kind of stupid, so even if you have enough social skills to convince them (I don't), they're most likely not going to take it seriously and fool around and it will be shit.

No one cares about shitty music or shitty lit. Shitty low budget film is cringe shit everyone hates so there's no point in trying.

I could literally make golden poetic masterpieces made of divine lighting that would shock Yea Forumss mind and possibly start a spiritual revolution but it’s just impossible from a logistics point of view. I work slowly towards acquiring more wisdom, and just over the past year I’ve turned from a midwit to basically a Dante level of mirthful genius. I’ve gone to films... maybe it’s time to go to film school bros and just rely on some sort of Christian Jedi mind trick in order to convince people to fund and work towards my idea

>jew this jew that
What a sad lot you are

i'd be careful about film school, it's probably a leftist PC stronghold of indoctrination, although it would certainly be nice for contacts and skills

This is why I don't think it's worthwhile to try making a real film without any guarantee that people will see it. The best way to become successful in my estimation would be to write a really good screenplay for a film or tv pilot and then try to sell it to a studio.
Woman are far less likely to have the drive and personality type necessary to become a successful filmmaker, and despite the feminism meme pushed by the media they're still far less likely to be hired in the industry.

The first post said nothing about Jews, just nepotism. Why did you assume he was talking about Jewish nepotism? Do you think Jews own Hollywood or something?

I just mean in general user. to be desirable is a powerful thing, and will land you free opportunities and tickets to do the right things at the right time. but thank you for responding to my post. I get ignored often

I am an actor. It has nothing to do with my being on Yea Forums and everything to do with my love of the art.

The money is nice, too. It's interesting to have been on this board coming up and seeing a lot of "insider" threads, shrugging them off. But some (definitely NOT all) stuff was pretty spot-on. Don't know if it was good guessing or real insiders, though.

because Yea Forums doesn't want to be a board of filmmakers, it is already a board of critics.

Honestly to actually have a shot at becoming a filmmaker you need to have funds and people who believe in you. You need expensive equipment, actor salaries, editors, etc. All this costs insane amounts of money and even when great low budget films are made they have low reach and they aren't making that much money. Unless you are jewish there's no hope.

>*tips*

Film schools are definitely leftist strongholds, but the real issue with that is not the indoctrination part but rather the fact that the quality of students will probably be low. The average film school student will never make it, and there's no point in networking with people who will never make it if your intention is to make it. It's definitely not the wisest investment to make.

>it's too hard
and expensive

And exactly where do you get the millions of dollars to make movies?

This is all of Yea Forums, Yea Forums, and Yea Forums

But I'm directing my first feature film right now.

I don't expect it to be a big festival hit or anything but I hope it'll help me attract some notable actors for my second film, so I can get a bigger budget.

Even rich established directors don't finance their own features.

I don't want to fill out all the paperwork. There's taking care of the talent, hiring Union labor, requesting permits, equipment rental, insurance, rights clearance and then there's all the forms to make that official. Then I need lawyers to protect me and my crew from any accidents of or mishaps. To do it right and have a chance, you need you play by all the rules they put in place.

I'm no bureaucrat.

>Then I need lawyers to protect me and my crew
I'm pretty sure said lawyers would also fill out all that paperwork you're describing.

Great, I'm sure they'll pick me up in no time then

>lawyers managing my crew lists when they're not on set
Good idea!

Yea Forums is shit because TV is shit
simple as

from jews. but your film has to serve zionist interests

Poor effort post

I've been writing the scripts for multiple shows/movies for awhile. I plan on staring with animated mini-series on youtube. On a somewhat related note, can any user here draw in manga style decently?

Attached: 1554881486292.jpg (924x571, 81K)

I could go and ignore all that if they just let you mess around with equipment and make whatever you want but I imagine it’s not like that and it’s probably kind of gay and boring. Imagine a place full of disposable equipment, sets, actors, props, clothing, and people didn’t give a fuck about what you made because other people would watch it just out of novelty. That’s basically what Mizoguchi and Bergman walked into

I would never be willing to bother with that shit. Film is art and art must be free, Idgaf about "unions" and all that crap. I was making little videos and films when I was a kid with my friends and didn't have to worry about shit and that's the only way I'm ever gonna accept it, I'm not playing by their retarded bureaucratic rules, I'm not using their established system. If anything, I buy my own equipment and then I find some buddies who want to participate and then we simply do it. Imagine a painter filling out paperwork for being allowed to paint a picture, it's preposterous lol. If I need to film somewhere, I just take a small camera that doesn't look professional and nobody cares. If I ask an actor and he wants paperwork or union shit done, he/she can kiss my ass, I'm not working together with faggots like that. This is my hobby and I love it and I'm not putting up with that shit because it would destroy what I love. I don't care about making money either, so fuck permissions and rights.

Sadly I'm not jewish.

the problem is, unless you're born a mental superchad, you're hardwired to submit to social pressure and then they come with all their precious "film theory" and whatever intellectualized soulless bullshit and they tell you about the "great filmmakers" (whoever they want you to think is great) and, well, it's simply kind of hard to resist being indoctrinated, even if you expect it. You know, like jumping into a pool of poison; you know it's poison and its bad for you, but you can't stop your skin from absorbing it... fuck the human condition.

I get that

you forgot some, and I think it illustrates a spectrum
on /3/ it's basically assumed you're trying to get into the industry, Yea Forums is the most into thinking they could do it of the mainstream boards, Yea Forums a bit less, Yea Forums is lukewarm on the idea or doesn't care (there are recurring game dev threads and used to be a general before /vg/, but other than that it's mostly shitposting), on Yea Forums it's even less but at least justifiable by the difficulty and drudgery of animation and how much it's automated away and/or shipped off to what are basically sweatshops, and Yea Forums just doesn't seem to care at all, maybe once a year you'll see someone talking about their screenplay and that's it
/i/ is kind of in the middle but in a different way from other boards because it basically is all 2D art with some focus on computer-made art, so it's hard to say "this is how you get into the industry" because there's no one thing to get into
I'm probably forgetting some
I may have had a point but I definitely don't now

Is this your first day? Of course its not since you're clearly a retard. We all know that whenever you faggots can't succeed in a field you are quick to blame "muh Jewish nepotism".

the ratio of risk and effort to outcome is pretty fuckin sweet though
Kevin Smith did more stuff besides Clerks, but he just needed that one to become what he is now (I mean some of the following films really cemented it, but he was able to do that because of Clerks)

Just hire someone.

Reminder the guy who directed this started out making super low budget horror shorts on youtube.

Attached: image.jpg (266x399, 88K)

Here? I don't think so. There are drawfags on plenty of the anime boards though, you should ask there instead. You could also ask /ic/

Music is something you can do alone. Books are something that people mostly do alone.

A movie, for another side, can't be made by a person in a basement with no friends.

Attached: rly maeks u tnhk.jpg (400x600, 242K)

You don't need a $1000 mic for decent sound quality.

Then move to a country where Jews don't control the film industry.

You do if you want to reasonably film outside with lots of background noise. The key is the directionality, highly directional mics tend to be rather long and you also need a wind disperser thingy around it. But yeah you can save a few $100 if you get a good deal on a used one for sure.
For indoors and good conditions I agree, you can just get a $50-100 condenser mic and ur fine.

Sounds like projection.

You only really need 2 crew members to shoot a film if you have no money. Yourself on the camera and someone else running sound.

You can get actors for free off craigslist and backstage if you live in a big city. If you don't live in a big city then you're fucked.

based and underrated

I hope I can be the first director from Yea Forums. My first feature will be done soon and I hope to get a manager after that to get bigger jobs and start making money

I have zero sociability and zero friends. Zero.

Yeah, you don't need all that it you're just making your own stuff that'll go no further than YouTube, but OP was talking about breaking into the business and to do that you need to know how to play the game. They got a whole racket set up to keep poor people out of their "little" production/distribution networks.

William Shatner is already here, faggot.

I am objectively a very good actor.
no one will hire me though.

dont wanna get fucked by some fat jew

An alternative to the 2nd crew member would be buying a bunch of lavalier mics so you don't need anyone to carry a boom. Just wire the actors and get a mixer and you're good.

And like I said you can get actors for free on craigslist, it's really easy because everyone wants to act.

A microbudget film doesn't need high production values to attract the attention of Hollywood, it just needs to show that you have talent and a unique vision.

Movies are gay.

I want to be a scriptwriter. I've got a cool psychological sci-fi concept that's really dynamic but very low budget. Lots of cool cinematography and production possibilities, could be shot entirely in one room and with one actor. Would guaranteed make a decent short film, extending the premise to fill 80 mins. would be a real challenge though. Hopefully it gets picked up but I'm not US based and I have no idea how this works.

ah fair enough. well I don't really care about that personally. I have other skills that are way more marketable anyway, I would use those to finance whatever film stuff I would do. That way I can just focus on making the best films I can while not having to ever compromise my vision, other than through the limits of my skills/actors/etc

I plan to go to the film academy next year, I also work on the local film festival, try to work as much as possible on local productions and write my own scripts and stories. I also recently bought a nice camera so I'm gonna try and make a short documentary or smt.

Generally I agree with you on the lack of creativity, but it's the same reason why no one in Yea Forums produces video games:
You need money and at least a small team.

What they could do more is writing scripts tho, shit is harder than it sounds like but is doable for one person.

To get a screenplay sold you need an agent. To get an agent you need connections, which you'll only really find in Los Angeles.

Typically, writing a good screenplay and having an agent gets you in the door for assignment work. Original scripts don't really sell, most of the time you'll be writing some idea a producer came up with or you'll be adapting a novel.

If you're doing lav, make sure to record the individual tracks rather than a mixdown, so you get more options in post.

>assignment work
You mean like writing screenplays for other people's projects? Is there a way to transition from screenwriter to directing?

A lazy autist can feasibly be a musician or a writer (or at the very least attempt to be one). A lazy autist cannot be a filmmaker unless they have considerable connections inside the industry. Drive and charisma are essential otherwise things will not get done and people will not follow you.

Making even a shitty short film is a considerable undertaking and trying to make it good is a massive one that requires either you become an expert at directing actors, writing scripts, hustling for money, hustling for location, composing shots and movement, camera operating, lighting, sound recording, sound engineering, video editing, video colouring, video processing and marketing all with not very good equipment and little money. If you not good at one or more of these things (or can't do them all at once) you need to hire
someone else to do it for you. (or more accurately convince other people to work with you which requires a degree of charisma and contacts). Once you make the bloody thing then you have to try and get people to see it which is a near impossible task because the market is inundated by chancers, a good chunk of whom have more experience, better equipment (which isn't important artistically but we live in a very materialistic superficial age that judges the pixel quality of a camera sensor severely) and are probably more talented than you - and still most of them are being ignored.

Tldr: here is little hope of success and a series of very large obstacles to climb even to end up with a half decent work. Also lazy autists are not natural leaders of men.

I do, but literally everything about it except film itself, turns me off. Hollywood is fucking AIDS. Indie movies don't make money unless you're working for a top tier independent studio. Nobody watches shitty short films except other filmmakers. Top of the mountain as a director for anyone now is getting hired to remake Superhero Man for the 100th time by Marvel or DC (and pray you make it to the end of production without someone inventing a scandal about you because they have nothing better to do.) Or, you can be a writer and slave over your screenplays for years only for some manager to pick you up, shill the work you'd spent months/years on and then some studio bring you in to do the 5th re-write on Superhero Man 100 before it's sent to another team of writers that erase all of your work. The scripts that you spent so long writing by the way won't be produced, they were just you're way of getting noticed. Another way to "make it" as a writer is getting signed on as a staff writer for Basic Cable Cop Procedural Show #5000 where you'll be on a team with 20 other writers cranking out the least creative, lowest common denominator bullshit you could ever dream of. Sounds great. Let's spend years of our lives and thousands of dollars chasing the dream and try to ignore the hundreds of new "talents" with connections who make it before you along the way.

Attached: Christian_Slater.jpg (1920x800, 273K)

Yeah, assignment work is basically just "here are the parameters for the script, make sure to hit these plot points and fit these locations in". You write a few drafts until the producers/director/etc is satisfied.

If by "transition to director" you mean get a big budget for your own film, there's nothing stopping you from doing that right now, the only thing in your way is convincing someone to give you money.

If someone sees a good reason to invest in your film they'll do it. Writing a few successful screenplays makes you a less risky bet for investors so it might help you transition to directing.

Fuck that. I have an actual promising and fulfilling carreer, I'm not looking into becoming a writing monkey. It's just my creative outlet, I've been writing for most of my life and I'm good at it. I was under the impression production companies bought decent scripts just to sit on them. I want what Aaron Sorkin has now.

To get where Aaron Sorkin is you need to write a few assignment scripts, and once you have connections and the trust of powerful people, then you'll have a chance to sell your original work.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

Music and Literature are a lot easier to produce than film, also its more easy to work independently in music and literature than it is film so an association with Yea Forums isn't that big of a detriment.

My friend is trying to make it and frankly it seems humiliating. He works on these shit podcasts that average 10 views and the quality is awful. Hes not good at recording audio or video (mic boom in shot, second camera in shot, audio sounds like shit) but will brag that hes making tonnes of connections. Oh he also talks about moving to L.A. Hes not even Jewish.

No one on this board cares about films, they're just people who've mentally raped themselves with porn for years and now they come here everyday to make the same threads, post the same CP, spread the same psychosis, over and over and over again like zombies.

Attached: tenor (43).gif (220x220, 135K)

At least he's trying to do what he loves, sounds better than going to college for something you hate and becoming a wagecuck.

I want to be a filmmaker and I've already made a bunch of (sadly unsuccessful) short films.
But there's not much discussion about filmmaking here as most fa/tv/irgins will make fun of you for wanting to be a filmmaker.

i work in film. if it was found out i posted on Yea Forums that would be it for me. im not even talent (or remotely close), but its just that much of an echo chamber now.

Yeah but he did go to college to do exactly that and he's a barista on the side to make rent. Lived off of welfare for 6 months in the winter.

My dad works as a editor for mostly documentarys on Discovery as well as Food Channel shit and the odd commercial here and there and he told me not to get into the business because it is cut throat and people will fuck you and hes just a fucking video editor

Seems like my only option would be going to filmschool and convincing friends to help shoot my idea in exchange for helping with theirs. I don't have time for that. This is just a side thing. Guess my great idea will never come to fruition. I do enjoy writing it, though.

Is there a way to become a successful filmmaker that actually makes money without being a part of the Hollywood shit brigade?

>ignore the hundreds of new "talents" with connections who make it before you along the way
You'd have to have connections to achieve any of the things you outlined in your post, even getting a job writing for some shitty tv show. Forming connections are important in any field especially entrepreneurial ones, I don't know why people act like they're some mystical thing that you have to be born with.

You need to beat them at their own game. Become the next James Cameron.

extremely high quality post

especially the getting people to see it part is the most annoying. You've gone through the herculean effort of producing a more or less "serious" short film (as in not some shite shot on a cheap home video camera with your buddies), and the hundreds and hundreds of festivals out there just reject you. Even the Bumblefuck, Nowhere film festival gives you a pass because they'd rather show some short that has already gotten 50 prizes.
It's so absurd how there's gorillions of festivals yet it seems only a tiny minority of shorts get all the selections. It's like festivals are stacies, a few shorts are chads who get all of them, and the rest of the shorts are betas who get the crumbs.

Califag here, make indie films and collab with local filmmakers. The filmmaking scene here in the bay area is much different than in SoCal, many more experimental/sjw films, so the pool of people I would actually like to work with is pretty small. No film school degree, so just keep on churning out movies to build experience.

>satan wants to make movies
would watch desu

And even then, most of the directors of those shorts that do get accepted to all the festivals will never get much further than that, as in their festival success will never translate into a real career directing features.

SWG isnt dead. its right here
discord.gg/HgMphd

I think it's because the kind of short films that get you into festivals don't make good features. Festival fare is muh pretentious sjw experimental artfest, and not so much popular genres.
Also I'd say financing for short films works differenly than for features, for the same reason.
I think I could get a feature produced if I only got some festival consideration for my shorts. Then again I'm a eurofag and it works a bit differently here. It's not so cutthroat as the industry works more through public subsidies rather than jewish producers, but instead you need a certain credibility rather than a very marketable concept.

This guy is unironically a genius who managed to figure out a way to beat Hollywood at their game and build his own media empire from scratch where he answers to no one. His blueprint (find a segment which isn't being pandered to, make movies for them, handle your own distribution, tell Hollywood to go screw) is the way to do it. Outside of that, the only other way to beat Hollywood or carve out your own piece of the pie is to have a fuck ton of money (LeBron James, Meghan Ellison, Jeff Bezos etc) or access to people with a fuck ton of money (the A24 founders were finance guys and former industry execs)

Attached: tyler-perry---transition-into-film.jpg (1200x675, 70K)

Making movies is a lot harder than making music or writing, you can do those two by yourself with minimum equipment, but for filmmaking you need both those two plus billion other things.

Unless you have money to blow or know people with money to blow, I think trying to be a filmmaker is a fruitless pursuit, unfortunately. At least in the US. You'd be better off trying to become a crew member but then you're sacrificing being able to tell your own stories. Which is why nearly everyone wants to get into the industry anyway. Do you really want to be Best Boy on John Wick 4? Maybe you do. I don't. I'm not going to abandon my entire life and move to LA to do so, either.

I've been a filmmaker for 5 years as an assistant director and directing my owns things here and there.

I am currently arranging to go back to study in IT because this job is not stable enough to support where I want my life to go. I've also become really fatigued with making other peoples politically/ideologically motivated garbage.

I will continue to make my own things and pursue film as an artform but will no longer be working below the line.

Reminds me of something I read in one of George Carlin's books where he said that he can appreciate even shitty movies, because the fact that dozens (sometimes hundreds) of people took weeks out of their lives just to make this thing is admirable enough in and of itself

About a year ago my uncle started writing screenplays. He was emailing them to everybody, and they were really bad. I was positive that I could do better. He persisted, and after four months or so, he signed up for some service that would let him send an email to hundreds of production companies and such, cost like $50, and somebody responded and optioned one of them. That was like six months ago, and he's getting jobs adapting books, selling scripts, and so on. I doubt any of these jokers are actually going to put any of this stuff on film, but the reality is that there lots of people running around throwing money trying to get projects off the ground, and seeing it work out for my lame lawyer uncle in his late 60s is both a little depressing and incredibly inspiring.

So I quit drinking, fixed my shit up, and I'm writing a psychological horror script that's kind of like The Tenant meets Jacob's Ladder, and working on a television show about MKUltra. Signed up for a class this fall at the local state school about making a short film, figuring it'll give me the structure and free access to equipment to make a quality short. I've already got the idea mostly figured out.

Attached: wilkinson.jpg (300x226, 31K)

If it's that easy why haven't you made a film yet user?

Anyone can write something and post it online. Anyone can make music with some cheap recording software and post it online. Movies require massive budgets, expensive equipment, people, time, etc. Average 4channelers are to socially retarded to organize that.

I'm trying.

well try harder

Seems like your uncle, being an experienced lawyer, knows a lot more about writing than you.

No one on Yea Forums should make anything. But in reality, all those jobs are only available to the wealthy with industry connections and you will have to self-finance for years. Unless you're a trust fund kid it's a dumb idea unless you want to die unsuccessful in a gutter somewhere.

Unless you're born into a specific social class, it's really tough. They don't want to let outsiders in. If you have enough money to keep churning out movies on your own you've got a shot but it costs a lot. For everyone else it can still happen but it's a lottery and you'd better be lucky or charismatic af. Connections in a normal industry are much easier to make.

Attached: 87869473-5CAE-4FFF-A260-D465483275C9.jpg (408x632, 32K)

I’m going to write a book and then turn it into a screenplay, animated series, or video game. Movies based on novels/books are much more likely to be green lit considering an audience is already there for that brand.

This is absolute truth.

Let's examine a film like this. I'm picking this one because it's one of the few obscure failures that many of us can recognize because Emma Roberts gets posted on here pretty often. I could just as easily be talking about countless other films though. Go pick through the Amazon Prime catalog for a while and you'll see endless pages of obscure VOD bombs which made no money. Now, this specific piece of shit film had:
>A seasoned director who had directed at least 10 successful big budget features, including Miss Congeniality which made over $200M at the box office
>Support from studios like Lionsgate and Entertainment One
>A large cast full of successful actors, including Julia Robert's daughter and well known veterans like Jane Seymour
>Distribution in over 100 theaters
>An 8 figure budget
>At least 6 figures worth of camera equipment alone, probably $1M+ worth of total rented gear
>A huge team of trained professionals including grips, gaffers, electricians, camera operators, sound mixers, set designers, script supervisors, DPs, DITs etc
>A whole set of post production experts working on the editing, color grading, audio etc
>A marketing team with a budget at least half as large as the production budget
and it still turned out as a total bust which will be viewed by less people than some YouTube rap video or a Reviewbrah chicken nugget review. What chance do you think some lonely Yea Forums autist making movies with an iPhone has?

Attached: m7ryw6ygf8x01.jpg (1944x2880, 1.13M)

Yes and no. His scripts were really awful in the beginning; he wasn't even formatting them correctly until he took a night class on screenwriting.

My big problem has always been that I want things to be perfect, so much that it paralyzes me sometimes. Even when I was in a band and writing songs, which is silly because there aren't really any negative consequences for writing a bad song. A song can either be really good for you, one that people sing along to at the show, or it doesn't do anything. You don't lose when you create something. The moral of the story is that any script is infinitely more valuable than a theoretical script of any quality.

The point of my story wasn't that I think I'm better than my uncle. Sorry if that's what you got from it. The point was that I chuckled, thinking I could do better, and then watched as he kept chugging away until now he's probably making more money from his side hustle writing things like a Christian-themed Jack Reacher style action movie for some random producer in Utah than I make in six months working full-time managing the office for a non-profit performing arts org. I don't want to write stuff like an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, where Sherlock is a woman and Watson is a Chinese guy, specifically to be played by this one guy in particular, which is another project he's been hired to do right now, but yeah, my sense of superiority was blown out of the water.

I'm a coward IRL and can't stand up for myself which means I have no sense of leadership so it's pointless

Screenwriting isn't so hard. Just gotta learn about story structure, which is relatively easy, read Screenplay by Syd Field, and Story by Robert McKee. Then just learn about formatting which takes 10 minutes if you use a specialized software, which can be free open-source software like Trelby.

The really hard part is coming up with good stories and compelling characters.....

Seems like you need some of that good ol' boomer humble work ethic. Churning out shit is a big step in becoming a professional in any creative field. You can have the luxury of becoming a perfectionist when you're capable of shitting out a bad script in a couple days. The thing about perfectionists is they tend to only or mostly have themselves as critics, and unless you're Kubrick, your own criticism over your own work won't be enough to make you improve in the pace you need to make it as a pro. It's a race and the winners are the ones able to pull the most/quickest cycles of putting their shit out there, getting their balls busted and extracting whatever lesson they need from it.

>this thread

Whaddaya know, everyone on Yea Forums has a defeatist mindset. Do us a favour and just make a /swg/ thread next time OP.

I’ve put in 2 short films for local film festivals but it’s harder to get a budget and people to make anything actually substantial

mass consumption of media from an early age has left me completely devoid of any creative spark. Why make your own shit when people keep shoveling theirs into your face?

Attached: wat.png (1242x1187, 1.38M)

BuT hOw ArE yOu GoInG tO mAkE mOvIeS iF yOu'Re NoT 24/7 wAtChInG eVeRyThInG tHaT cOmEs OuT user????

>go on Yea Forums

Attached: 1501993978334.png (728x406, 319K)

Yea Forums is a bunch of uncreative brainlets

>He doesn't know about that one time Yea Forums made a porn.

damn, it even catered to the right target audience, women and couples, who will actually go and spend money in the cinema and not stream or pirate the shit. Even had recognizable faces for the girls and their boyfriends like it's designed to make you choose it when standing at the cinema counter with your date and looking for a upbeat lovey dovey movie.
Fuck if I was a suit to relocate budget and greenlight shit, I would have signed off on it easy money. Only to eat shit afterwards.

What does it tell us?