How would you adapt The Silmarillion?

How would you adapt The Silmarillion?

Attached: the-silmarillion-4.jpg (353x353, 39K)

Badly

with a netflix treatment

I wouldn't. Some things All things are better left untouched by kikes

have you converted to the one true faith (orthodoxy) yet?

Greek Orthodox Church?

An HBO miniseries with an famous actor narrating the important plot elements, treating it like a historical drama or even a fantasy documentary with the budget the size of Rome, recreating iconic segments of the epic.

The literal ONLY way to do it.

Can you literal faggots stop shilling fantasy cringe shit?

What pseudo French fag writer from only the 19th Century do you jerk off to, Yea Forumskid?

I think the documentary approach would work best actually. It's not made for a straight up movie(s) but then again that didnt stop them from milking the Hobbit

have sex

>Ainulindalë
Fantasia-style animated short film

>Beren and Lúthien
3D animated film

>everything else
Would not benefit from being translated to another media.

I wouldn't, the scope of the book is impossible on anything except a supermassive series. Several seasons worth of content.

For example, how do you do justice to the Music of the Ainur? How can you transfer the text to a visual representation as well as it was done in the novel? How do you film a battle literally titled: Battle of Unnumbered Tears? How do you film the dramatic sinking of Numenor? Or even more broadly, how do you put on the big screen, a story which has a bad ending?

All this being said, if the Silmarillion (my favorite book of all time) was properly put into a good series, I would watch the fuck out of it and be so happy.

Attached: alan_lee.jpg (702x441, 90K)

anime

Do it as an anthology show with each episode telling a different story from the Silmarillion. The focus should be on telling coherent shorter stories rather than plunging through the whole thing in a linear fashion. You could even call it something like "Tales from the Silmarillion" to get the point across. I also like the idea of having a frame story with a few characters gathering together to smoke and drink while they recount tales of ages past.

Attached: gandalf-smoking.png (280x200, 100K)

I wouldnt.

Attached: 077340F9-4D91-4917-9107-848A5819B015.jpg (1188x1180, 425K)

First thing: get the right man for the job.

Attached: 1543286958307.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

this would be max comfy

Anime
You know it, I know it, its the only way it isnt getting pozzed and we get 50+ episodes

>Can you literal faggots stop shilling fantasy cringe shit?

Attached: Autism.jpg (239x320, 29K)

Three words:
TULKAS
NUTSACK
ALWAYS

>MUH SILMARILS

The Silmarillion
a film by Ken Burns

This is the correct answer. Best move is sometimes to not make any move at all.

Fucking top kek

The Quenta Silmarillion can be done in three movies.
>Ainulindale+Valaquenta+Flight of the Noldor
Abbreviated Ainulindale+Valaquenta intro, we "zoom out" to see that it's Finwe narrating to Feanor. Feanor is the protagonist of this movie, it ends with him dying and his sons retaking the oath. The sons are the "real" bad guys of the next two films, Morgoth can be thought of more like a backdrop or maybe a force of nature.
>Of Beren and Lúthien
Basically as-is. After credits scene with Luthien and Beren in Mandos.
>The Fall of Gondolin+Earendil stuff+War of Wrath
Age up Earendil, make him the protagonist, he fights in the Siege of Gondolin and escapes. Then we get a slow period where he meets and marries Elwing who has the Silmaril taken the last movie. Then the third kinslaying, which they flee into the west. Truman Show-style sailing into the unknown, Valinor, then end with a stupidly huge army arriving in Middle Earth, no need to show any big battle or anything, just the ships landing. Here it'd be nice to tie it back to the third age, maybe it's Elrond telling these events to Bilbo.

Attached: Jenny_Dolfen_-_Earendil_the_Mariner.jpg (700x919, 197K)

Give it to Terrence Malick

>How do you film the dramatic sinking of Numenor?
Amazon LOTR is confirmed to be the Akallabêth. Númenor kino INBOUND. GRRM will never recover

Attached: amazon-middle-earth-map-numenor.jpg (969x485, 168K)

Creation myths and elvish sagas are better, fight me.

anything else is brainlet tier
>muh documentary
>muh biblical stories
>muh anthology
fuck off and go reread the book

I wouldn't, the Silmarillion is neither literature nor entertainment.

nobody wants to watch a show about that would be a multi-episode version of twin peaks s3e8 or a bunch of elvish faggots

they want the GoT audience

I would do 6-8 episode miniseries, with such great cliffhangers, they'd order more. The first season would feature the death of the Two Trees, the Chaining of Melkor, his escape to Middle Earth, and Feanor creating the Silmarils, and the Noldor crossing the Helcaraxe.

Second Season could deal with the sons of Feanor, girdle of Melian, Nargothrond, and heavily feature Turin Turambar and Glaurung, Nargothrond and the Nauglimir. Second Season ends with Fingolfin vs Morgoth and teases Beren and Luthien and the coming of the Age of Men.

Third Season wraps up the Silmarils and the First Age, the War of Wrath, and cliffhanger builds Numenor and Sauron starts to poison it.

Everyone always sucks Beren & Luthien's dick, same with Turin's story. But the best story in the Silmarillion is Tuor's.

>Be a homeless vigilante killing Easterlings
>wandering ruins, find an ancient set of armor
>is the first man to behold the sea
>meets the Sea God
>gets sent on a mission to find the hidden city
>finds it, bangs the king's daughter
>personally kills her cousin who wanted to bang her too
>is such a chad that he sails west and the gods just call him an elf so he lives forever

>and cliffhanger builds Numenor
>and Sauron starts to poison it.
These happen so far apart it doesn't make sense to put them in the same season.
QS takes place over a few hundred years. The beginning of numenor to it's end is like 3000.

Tuor is amazing. Also Gondolin, so beautiful and so tragic.

Oil on canvas.

>Makrides, Vasilios N; Roudometof, Victor (2013). Orthodox Christianity in 21st Century Greece: The Role of Religion in Culture, Ethnicity and Politics. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. p. 8. ISBN 978-1-4094-8075-4. "A proposal to introduce Modern Greek into the Divine Liturgy was rejected in 2002"

Holds up. Only church that reads the actual Word in Koine is the only church.

IMIN WAS BLACK!

The time has passed, there is no way they'd do it properly so I hope they never touch it.

Hand drawn animation. Lots of narration.

Make it animated, hand draw with minimal colouring, all pastels
Primarily narrated, but by whom?

Christopher Lee of course.

He's dead.

>Christopher Lee
user, I...

I wouldn't. That's like slapping a history text book on a table and saying "How do you adapt this?" It's not a narrative; It is everything that happened on earth from the moment god conceived.

DESE ERVES IN TROUBRE IN SIRMARRIRION

Other than an animated series, a documentary style like that other user said would be cool.

Season 1 - Feanor wants his fucking gems back

Attached: 1509047655010.png (813x520, 42K)

It could only be properly adapted with like a decade long animation ala Redline

Would be worth if they could get the creation song right

I downloaded the book the other day, realistically how long is it gonna take to read 2000+ pages?

Starring idris elba

Well since you're asking other people how long it's going to take you to read probably forever for you.

The only way it could be adapted is in an anthology series.

It has no narrative. It's just lots of short stories/anecdotes.

i wouldnt try to embarass myself

how long did it take you then fuckface?

LoGH style

If a single book takes you longer than 2 days to read, you have brain problems.

A month or so but I only read in my bathroom.

tolkien was a shit author
/thread

I read pretty fast, just always put this off due to the size.
cheers

With David Attenborough

The Silmarillion doesn't even read like a regular book. It's more like the Bible, in that it's a collection of stories with no real narrative from one to the next.

>First scene is God and arch-angels singing reality into creation
Who's the best director for this moment?

Terrence Malick

I'd get tolkien's son to cry for 10 minutes then loop it to fill out 90 minutes

Terry Gilliam

this, only correct choice

Filmed over 10 years in the grass lands of Canada in the fall 5 mins a day int he golden hours as the sun sets

I wouldn't. Some things are better left alone.

>Trying to film a literal 11/10 singing a song that puts the most powerful valar asleep and makes the second cry.

Attached: TN-Luthien.jpg (827x1300, 468K)

>Season 1 - GIVE
>Season 2 - ME
>Season 3 - BACK
>Season 4 - MY
>Season 5 - FUCKING
>Season 6 - SILMARILS

anime but with korean animators and american directors

By "song" I hope you mean "rap"
Also I hope you don't mind we made her Latinx
But of course you wouldn't or you'd be racist

I have the most realistic idea for adapting The Silmarillion in this thread. Realistically it would have to be done over Christopher's cold dead corpse

This, it should be anime. I would like to see the style be very stiff and serious. No cute faces.

He thought up this scenes as his future wife was dancing in the woods at picnic

Attached: Tomb of Tolky.jpg (3024x4032, 2.26M)

I don't know what this story is about but the lead actors should be a black male and a black female. and
there should be a lot of YASS QWEENS because it's current year

You joke, but this is exactly what would happen if anyone from the soul-sucking money making machinery of hollyjew would get their grabblers on the Silmarillion.

Attached: YouSteppedOverTheLine.jpg (704x480, 66K)

You wouldnt and shouldnt. The damn thing is just a blueprint of the lore for middle earth.

I own the book and its so boring and such a drag, its like reading the parts of the bible that dont involve rape, murder, incest or God killing someone.

The only Good Part is when that Bearded God full nelsons super satan.

The Children of Húrin would be the best story to make. But imo, the tone and look should be more like Excalibur, conveying the time period it is set in, with a soft diffused look to match Alan Lee's paintings.

To sum up the backstory, my favourite idea would be to have a prologue of intertitles explaining the plot, interspersed with re-enacted scenes like Morgoth destroying the Trees, the stealing of the Silmarils, the crossing of the Helacraxe by the Noldor. All played to Die Rheingold: Vorspeil.

Animated

Children of Hurin could work

is goldberry in this?

fucking this

I didn't know that silmarillion had 2000 thousand pages...

If only christopher lee was still here

AAAAA now that you reminded me of it i want to read it once more. Unfortunately my fren borrowed it and as far as i know didn't even read it...

Didn't Tolkien write something about a modern man finding the Red book of Westmarch in former Tol Eressea? It was something like that anyway. The foreword in LOTR also says that the book survived in one form or another throughout the ages til the present day (it's a conceit meant to be the historical "source" of his writings).
So how about this; Thousands of years into the future a man finds an uncharted island and ancient ruins that contains a mysterious book. And then the story goes from chapter to chapter and story to story with him narrating the opening of each one like Galadriel did in FOTR.

>how do you put on the big screen, a story which has a bad ending?
If marvel can pull it off, surely it shouldnt be this hard

No, it could work as a musical though.

>How do you film the dramatic sinking of Numenor?
Like Pompeii but with water and good actors.
>How do you film a battle literally titled: Battle of Unnumbered Tears?
Make it the opening act of a Children of Hurin movie.
>Or even more broadly, how do you put on the big screen, a story which has a bad ending?
GoT became popular because it fucked with the standard fantasy setting and subverted popular tropes. Now imagine if people knew that the founder of modern fantasy had actually done it before GRRM. People will love to hate it, and everyone already knows the good guys win the war even if they lose the battle.
>how do you do justice to the Music of the Ainur?
Voiceover by someone with a good voice and top notch animations drenched in symbolism since fully comprehending the creation of the world should be impossible for mortals. It can never be as beautiful as the books so it shouldn't even be tried. Just try to make it work as good as possible.
>How can you transfer the text to a visual representation as well as it was done in the novel?
You can't. A visual adaption will always have to make changes to the source of its writings in some way to accomodate the needs of a limited run time and budget concerns.

Make it like Animatrix and Halo Legends

Yeah a framing concept idea was the red book and at one time it was a wondering stranger telling the story for shelter and food for the night

Hollywood cannot be trusted to adapt anything anymore. Unless you want to see black Elves, homosexual Numenorians and trans Ainur, I say stay clear of a Silmarillion adaptation.

Attached: p1p633q2qjz21.jpg (750x687, 78K)

please I need sauce on that doujin

FUCK

begone

Attached: 1557416535993.jpg (1280x720, 287K)

>its like reading the parts of the bible that dont involve rape, murder, incest or God killing someone.
So you didn't read it

nvm I found it

you are dumb

Attached: 1557414916112.jpg (167x184, 10K)

enjoy degeneracy

Attached: 3253.jpg (300x180, 12K)

Just the B&L story in two parts. 1st ends with Sauron overthrown. The 2nd covers Angband and The Hunt.

24 episodes of Christopher Tolkien telling the audience to go fuck themselves

>be Tilion
>total chad hunter
>some asshole tells you to guard the moon
>"whatever"
>do your job for a couple years. making sure the moon doesn't get lost or some shit. pretty fucking boring
>see the sun. its guarded by some hot chick
>want.jpg
>start chasing the sun across the sky
>the gods tell you to stop because your fucking ruining the time schedule
>"make me"
>they do nothing
>carry on doing whatever you want, whenever you want
>satan himself decides hes sick of your shit and tries to destroy the moon
>BTFO that twink faggot
>continue on your way whilst slaying hot sun pussy

Attached: 1536080494475.jpg (700x758, 142K)

it's short as fuck wtf
I swear I saw a panel somewhere that wasn't in this but it had the goat.

kys

Battle for middle earth III

bfme2 has dagor dagobath mod with everyone from silmarillion in it.

Galadriel, like the prologue from LOTR.

This. She actually lived through most of the worlds history too, so it makes sense.

It's years too late. They should have done a Silmarillion movie/series about 10 years ago. It doesn't really have any place in a post-GoT world. It will be hard for audiences to regress back into childish high-fantasy

A tree of life like. A set of scenes which seems uncorrelated at first, but the more you look into it it makes more sense. A bit like cloud atlas, but not shit.

Attached: bait.jpg (400x400, 110K)

It wasn't so bad. Felt different than normal movies at least.

Attached: 16-1207-axe-the-tax-600x450.jpg (600x450, 34K)

I would just take it as a reference and write my own trilogy

Trippy animation like a mix between Fantasia and Banner Saga with a full orchestral backing the entire time. Potentially very limited dialogue in the actual elvish with subtitles, or no dialogue at all.

No actor is based enough to play Feanor. Maybe Mel Gibson, but he's too old now.

Attached: Steamey_-_Feanor_with_silmaril.jpg (670x990, 300K)

I just want a series about Feanor from his birth to his fiery death.

/thread

The Silmarillion is too explicitly Christian for Hollywood to adopt it because they won't be able to hide or obfuscate it like the other films.

As a documentary

the only adaptation worth doing would be a Ken Burns mocumentary series