Was the Battle of the Bastards an accurate depiction of Medieval Warfare? Like alright put the giant aside for a minute...

Was the Battle of the Bastards an accurate depiction of Medieval Warfare? Like alright put the giant aside for a minute, was this realistic? Why are people ok with asspulls like Jon never getting hit by an arrow, or the Cavalry deus ex machina?

Attached: game-of-thrones-episode-9-4.jpg (1920x1080, 1.52M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No

Because they don't care as long as it's "Bad ass dude!"

Aside from the MC's plot armor, it was pretty good. They use actual battle tactics, the archers are positioned correctly, the combatants tire and gasp for air, horses freak out, people die trampled.
Realistically, Jon would be trampled to death by horses.

Not at all, but hey, at least they actually tried

It was decent, but by no means "accurate".
Still better than most battles in other shows, not to mentions Season 8

>both sides start by charging light cavalry
Light cavalry is meant to harass the flanks and pursue routers, using them like heavy cavalry is stupid as fuck, because they can't even break infantry formations and would be badly damaged by the archers
Countering cavalry with cavalry is ok, but in the middle of the main battlefield, light cavalry vs light cavalry combat would happen in the flanks
>both infantries charge
It's pitch battle yeah, but it doesn't mean both sides would give up the advantage of holding their ground waiting for the enemy to charge
>it becomes hollywood brawl
just...
>random pile of corpses appears out nowhere
duh... this isn't American civil war.

I'm more bothered by the military strengths of this battle and how the show forgot about them.
Jon army:
>mostly light infantry wildlings
I dunno where the fuck did this cavalry come from
Ramsay's army:
>mostly heavy infantry Northmen
>cavalry
Even if Jon's forces outnumbered Ramsay's host, Bolton would have won easily. Jon is an absolute moron for thinking he had a real chance of winning without help from the Vale.
Also, realistically the Wildlings would have routed long before the Knights of Vale arrived, and Ramsay's cavalry would have massacred them in pursuit.

>Game of Thrones battles
>realistic
It couldn't have been less accurate if they were running around with assault rifles and tanks

Ramsays army would be light infantry too considering North is supposed to bw IRLs vikangs?

Pretty sure the North is supposed to be Scots.

The technology has clearly come on, I liked the kinetic feel of cavalry smashing into troops.

It was pretty dumb, but the visuals were 10/10 top notch so I forgive it. Major problems being:

>didn't give the giant a weapon
>didn't use the giant to strike fear into the hearts of the enemy
>didn't use the giant to toss logs or stones or something
>didn't give the giant a massive shield to protect troops from arrows with
>Jon's archers charged like retards into the fray instead of shooting arrows at the OTHER archers
>retarded phalanx encirclement tactic
>ramsay not having any sort of scouts

Nah, the Scots are wildings beyond the wall.
Its the War of the Roses innit.

This. It looked like shit

>Jon dodging composited in horses
>effortlessly sending a guy flying off his horse

Nah, Wildlings are too, wild, they're more like Gauls or Britons back in roman times.
Although the fact that they're sealed off by a wall makes for a good argument for them being scots.

Northmen are Scots
Wildlings are Gaelic Scots
Basically, during the 13th-century bunch Anglo-Normans moved to the Lowlands which caused a melting pot. A few centuries later, Scots now consider the Gaelic Scots bunch of barbarians and can barely speak their language.

So by Gaelic Scots, you mean Highlanders?

Attached: Scotland-clans[1].png (1542x1854, 373K)

arrows are expensive and almost never hit the targets during battles

not even close

>A few centuries later,
If you can find a comprehensible aberdonian today I'll give you a one pound note.

>no lances

>sealed off by a wall
The Roman walls werentvto keep the Scottish contained, they couldn't have cared less, it was to ward off any southerners accidentally wandering into Scotland and getting glassed by locals. You fucking English so full of yourselves were not interested in your shitehole country thanks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic
I think Highlander just a demonym for the Highland, i.e any person who lives there, while Scottish Gaels are people who speak the language.

Hrmmm I'm still not so sure, I think its definitely mostly based around War of the Roses factions (which bleeds, literally, into the 100 Years War) but its so mashed up, but that gives you your basic shape. A succession war so unpleasant it just made everything more complicated by making the lines even more convoluted. You also had lots of schemes, murders and betrayals going on.

Its more of a game to spot the bits getting recycled. You've got your Scottish clan massacres (Red Wedding), "The Princes In The Tower" (Bran/Rickon), it all gets moved around. Cersei seems to be mainly Margaret of Anjou (esp. by detractors accounts).

It all makes sense when you think it like that. I.e the Wall isn't a stand-in for the Hadrian's Wall but for the Antonine Wall.

Attached: 800px-Hadrians_Wall_map.svg.png (800x995, 136K)

I didn't mind the charge, because Ramsay is a lunatic and it wasn't supposed to show good tactics. It shows in the same scene his willingness to loose on his own men. I would've been exasperated if Tywin or Roose did that shit. In season 8 they loose on the Dothraki despite Davos being against it here so I guess botb wasn't the worst of it

Cope. You were better off pretending it was about murderous Scots and their armies.
It was actually to stop an entire race who at that time specialized in being cattle thieves. Cattle thieving is a major part of Celtic culture across the piece for some reason. Of course, not much has changed, its Vauxhall Corsas today.

IMO Cersei isn't Margaret of Anjou even if the fat man says so. She strikes me more as a stand-in for Elizabeth Woodville.

ಠ_ಠ

No, because
>IRL Sansa would have told Jon about the Knights of the Vale before the battle began
>they wouldn't even have set up their forces before the Vale forces arrived
>Ramsay would have basically no reason to deploy his forces outside of Winterfell, a defensible fortification to end all defensible fortifications
>Same for the Long Night, no reason to have trebuchets and Unsullied hanging out beyond Winterfell's walls by the fire-moat, they serve no purpose there

no and im not okay with it, it was dogshit
a pleb's battle of the blackwater

Attached: 1557247614104.png (1280x720, 2.39M)

GoT takes place in another world where there are dragons, winters and summers that last years, magic exists, men can be turned into nearly undefeatable and super powerful foes for thousands of years, corpses can be raised even after well being decomposed, and some sort of god brings people back from the dead. It doesn’t take place in medieval times

This. This man read medieval warfare.

No, too many swords, not enough spears

>this setting clearly based off a period in our history has fantasy elements so literally nothing has to make any sense
God I fucking hate people like you
>why didn't Jon turn super saiyan and kamehameha Bolton, magic exists its not our world lol who cares