Shouldn't they say "release"?

Shouldn't they say "release"?

Attached: really makes you think.jpg (640x640, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VWDM6wKYnc0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons
youtube.com/watch?v=zTd_0FRAwOQ
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons
sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/teachslf/milt-par.htm
etymonline.com/word/fire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What was their tax policy?

that bothered me, since in s6 they got it right.
bothered me more in LOTR tho

>the virgin "fire"
>the chad "Tangado haid! Leithio i philinn"

Attached: 5f4a67fae42667e11068a7c318922f1d.jpg (695x900, 98K)

OMG how will they ever recover, major cringe on that one, real cinema sin if you ask me

loose
liek ur dirty mum

haha I too watch a youtuber who complains about this haha us gamers huh

>GoT
who care...

I thought the term "fire" came from fire arrows?

Attached: hmm.png (640x640, 111K)

Based user BTFOing retard OP

>no gorget
>no helmet
god the elves were such fucking monsterchads when they were on the warpath

I don't know shit about shit but didn't they burn ropes to release large sprung projectiles?

no

no

no

the "fire" command is older than gunpowder
stop trying to be smart and accept that you are a brainlet

they said reset/away/loose in s2

youtube.com/watch?v=VWDM6wKYnc0

Tell me about it.

Attached: 1535287657958.png (813x520, 42K)

I don't think so, that doesn't seem right, why would you need to ask for fire so often, that it becomes standard to say it?

I think it probably comes from operating cannons, like the fire guy with the torch get's ordered to step to the fuse or some shit.
"Hey Tony! Fire!"

shoot, loose, release

Firing, as an order, is most certainly commanding someone to bring fire. In other words, you're absolutely correct. Lighting the fuse or match.

It's not a command to fire on something, per se. Though this is what it means now it wasn't the origin.

proofs? Sounds like something invented for musketeers and gunners.

Based mentally retarded poster

No it doesn't sound like that at all. Musketeers would ignite their fuses before they shoot.

Fire has been used as a weapon since pre-historic times. And then there's stuff like greek fire and whatnot.
Over time the word "fire" became a meme and was used to launch all kinds of ranged attacks

so the proof is your ass?

so uh about that proof

>YO TONY, bring some fire already. IMA WALKING HERE

They should have said "Ejaculate!" since that's from the Latin verb for propelling an object.

AY TONE

LOOSE writing

Why are they speaking modern english?
Linguistic evolution in general would sureley be a result of technology changing no?

Attached: 0SnFVkVq2IkRp9wXgT2GvjIFZOWRFQD513Es03xXBbM.png (670x670, 528K)

really faggot? you want proof of weaponized fire before the introduction of gunpowder?

Attached: every time.jpg (800x600, 104K)

Are you unironically retarded?en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons

He’s talking about projectiles, not fire weapons you absolute retard

Reminds me of when my dumbass was watching Shrek commentary. When Farquaads men aim their crossbows at Shrek, they make a gun-cocking sounds. They director said
>its funny, the bows would never have made that sound, but we wanted to make it a little more interesting.

And when the dragon was landing to pick up Shrek near the end of the movie
>yeah, we wanted it to be like a helicopter landing. Thats why the trees if the background are swaying so differently than the dragons wing flaps

>Incendiary devices were frequently used as projectiles during warfare

So let's recap your "argument". You are saying that the word "fire" was not used as a military command to launch any projectiles until after the introduction of gunpowder.
Your proof: "it sounds like something invented for musketeers"

This desu
I remember them using "Loose" earlier in the show. Messing it up now feels like they were trying to ruin the show on purpose.

Based Elrond leading the lads to victory only to be 'No'd' by SoiSildur

>chad "fire"
>virgin "throw the ring into the fire

Attached: 5uzsp1s4kngy.jpg (640x360, 52K)

Do you have any proof that they used the term "fire" before the invention of gunpowder?

are you retarded?

Do you have any proof that they didn't?

Oh that's right. it "feels" that way to you. carry on then.

Your entire argument was that it was used before. The burden of proof is on you.

He meant fire as in 'fire the light in your muscles and launch the projectiles already you dumbfucks'

they made sure to have Ramsay say "Nock, draw, loose" during BotB. Saying "fire" now is literally "fuck you look at us not trying anymore lol"

>our ancestors never threw torches against each other

guess they were too stupid to come up with such an advanced concept

The absolute state of you

they should say "loose"

So you're saying that you don't have proof?

>do you have any proof they had smartphones in ancient rome?
>uuhh, do you have any proof they didn't?

Nope. This thread was started based on the claim that "fire" never was used for non-gunpowder ballistics. The burden of proof is on you.

I think you've missed the mark here, m8.

I mean they could mean fire since they can shoot fire arrows

>fire arrows
youtube.com/watch?v=zTd_0FRAwOQ

Attached: 1432117984476.jpg (490x490, 48K)

Do you have a proof that fire is a word?

etymonline says 1520s

you're claiming people used to say "buttered my biscuits" before people invented butter
and like normal people we are demanding an explanation other than PEOPLE HAVE KNOWN ABOUT DAIRY FOR MILLENIA RETARDS

incendiary projectiles of all sorts have been launched at the enemy for millenia yes
You now claim that words for "fire" was not used as a command until the invention of blackpowder
Your argument makes no sense.

Are you retarded?

Characters in LOTR aren't speaking english

Are you? Let's make things easy for us. The thread is about GoT. That's fantasy, so we can even disregard the real world and just look at GoT. Do they use fire projectiles in GoT? Yes. Is it logical that the word "fire" in the common tongue is sometimes used for the launching of any projectile? Yes.
I'm sorry that you "feel" another way about the word.

Yeah, so?

>lindybeige

Attached: +_831f394909607274d9938bd04c775acb.jpg (359x222, 41K)

^

"Fire" came with gunpowder.

They also shoot wooden projectiles with a metal tip, do they scream iron, steel, or wood when shooting then as well?

Is iron, steel and wood especially associated with ranged weapons? No.
Fire is.

>Is iron, steel and wood especially associated with ranged weapons?

Yes. Wood and stone were the first ranged weapons.

You're right, that guy should have screamed "Fill them with lead, boys!"

And also the first melee weapons. So why use their names as a command for ranged attack.

Why not?

"Rocks" would be more logical. But you are going off topic with hypotheticals.

My question to you is: what do you "feel" the byzantines said when they unloaded on their foes? It can't be "fire" since you feel that was invented for muskets.

I thought it would get very confusing in a battle with a dragon that sets fire to everything.
>Fire!
>yes sir! firing arrows
>No, I mean there's a FIRE
>yes sir firing more arrows
>No you fucking idiot you are on FIRE
>yes sir firing arr-Oh wait I'm on fire
>dies

Audibly kek'd

So are you finally going to provide proof that it was used back then or what?

They did a lot of shit like that.
They never use any of the terminology that grrm invented any more

No because I don't have my books here.
So it's my word against your feeling.

Even in the modern military with weapons that can indeed be "fired" the command is' Ready, Aim, Shoot! to avoid confusion as the word "Fire" is only shouted when you want someone to put out the fire that the enemy has set on you.
Shouting fire is a Hollywood fiction.

maybe the soldiers shouting fire were foreshadowing the fate of King's Landing.

goddamn LOTR btfos GOT on every level

>Elves kept the god of evil trapped in the far north for nearly 600 years, preventing his conquest of all the world while the other deities sat on their asses
Giga-chads

>They never use any of the terminology that grrm invented any more
D&D, attention span of a coked up squirrel

Attached: 1291180332298.jpg (640x640, 72K)

"Send" is also used in some contexts.

Varies between languages. Some have different words for different kinds of fire.

In the united states "fires" is used for indirect fire.

>actually thinking people threw torches at each other and shouted "FIRE!" while doing it
lmao how can anyone be this fucking retarded?

Attached: skylar.jpg (400x600, 45K)

should say "loose" they actually did say that before when using actual bows

>"throw fire over the wall to ligth their village up!"

lol no of course this never happened ever
it's gunpowder babe, sure feels like it

This does not demonstrate that the term was used.
You are therefore not dishonest, but just retarded and unable to apply logic.

>grug no throw rock and yell ROCK
grog think grug mate with men

Its Release

>feeling

Even in the OP it's a question asking for an answer. Instead of giving an actual answer with proof or even evidence, you've been crying like a bitch.

>fire arrows

This, user. The German military has used the word 'shiessen' -> 'shoot' always. They do not say 'feuer'.

>What is the burden of proof?

That might go some way to explain all the incidents of "friendly fire" in the US military.

CAN SO MANY FANfags still be Crying here

It was all sorted move on ok

WATCH PROPER ADULT TV

>No because I don't have my books here.

So you're saying you do not have any proof?

>fire
>Meaning "discharge of firearms, action of guns, etc." is from 1580s.

Attached: 68.jpg (403x498, 79K)

You "loose" arrows.

>the retard ITT thinking "fire!" was actually used before it logically makes sense

True it varies but I would wager in few to no instances the term is the same as 'fire'. I would bet it is similar to volley, loose, send, shoot, etc.

>grug yell rock
>grug tribe all throw rock at other tribe
>yell stick
>tribe all go hit with stick

The meaning "discharge of firearms" cannot be older than firearms.
That doesn't mean it was the first meaning of the word.

based

please just stop it mate. you are embarrassing yourself here

Attached: krokodilklammer.jpg (800x158, 14K)

Attached: stannis-fewer-1433767172.gif (500x277, 175K)

This is one of my pet peeves.

Now we're actually getting somewhere. Well done lads.

LOOSE

How? I don't see any tripcodes in the thread.

>1580s
>older than firearms
were you dropped on your head as a child?

just came into this thread to post that you are absolutely fucking retarded

On the off chance that you forgot the original subject:
>Why did they say fire, when Loose would have been more appropriate?
The battle of the bastards got the term right, so why not the battle for kings landing?

Attached: 1557968329929.jpg (500x375, 44K)

same with GoT

They don't use "feuer" as a command in the field but they use the word when talking about firepower as a concept in tactics and etc.

>Grug see no him tribe chieftain
>Grug challenge no him tribe chieftain single combat
>Little sister of Grug, Groblina, jump from tree
>"Omae wa mou shindeiru"
>Nothin' personal no him tribe chieftain

You misinterpreted my post.

>Gendry Rivers
I'm a showpleb and even I knew they got that shit totally wrong, that he should just be "Gendry" because he was never recognized, and even if he were he would be either Waters or Storm. Hundreds of people working on the show and none of them seemed to have this entry level knowledge

I don't know. GoT sucks. But it's not illogical that in westeros there are several different words being used for the same thing.

I believe "release" was used for the command to fire arrows.

not all your archers are using the same kind of arrow, so you call out who is to fire with a specific command

You should have come into the thread and told us what the bynzatines said when they gave the order to use greek fire.

I'd probably use flags and from horse back. Since battles occur over long distances and are loud places.

>I'd probably use flags
T H I S
H
I
S

"Pump!"
It was pumped wasnt it?

Its 'loose', not 'release'.
'Knock. Aim. Loose!'
With firearms and cannons it would be 'Load. Aim. Fire!'

It probably was! But there must have been some pumping before the relase, to build up pressure.

Several different methods of weapons delivery was used for sure.

You guys really hate the idea that some greek ever simply used the greek word for "fire" as a command to unleash this thing. Do you?

Attached: Greek_Fire_md.jpg (864x486, 182K)

So you're saying you have no proof?

Do I have less proof than you?

Yes.

Absolutely

What is your proof? That fire is used to ignite gunpowder, therefore word for "fire" was never used as a military command before the introduction of gunpowder? Not logical.

You're talking about a pretty long time of human history. A lot of years without anyone ever giving the order "fire". Despite plenty of incendiary weapons around.

You, my user friend, is a retardio.

I think this started as what word was used to realise arrows and then you wanted to be about Greek fire.

So I'll go with "PUMP!" For Greek fire just for fun.

Who gives a fuck

Nobody is talking about incendiary weapons except you, and you haven't even shown that the word 'fire' was used for that. So until you can show any kind of proof, I think it's more logical that they screamed 'Nigger' instead.

I agree that is fun.
For arrow realease in particular I have no interest.
I'm talking about "fire" as a command used for any ballistics.

Following your posts, you're the one using feelings to attempt to back up an unsupported claim that you made.

>fire the pigs

Doesn't really make sense though. Fire would have been something they cooked their food with and stayed warm with at the period of time they used arrows.

this is beginning to resemble actual mental illness

I'm talking about all sorts of weapons. And several millenia, and lots of different languages. Words for "loose", "fire", "release", "shoot", "throw", "sling" etc etc have all been used historically.

So you agree that '"Nigger" was used for all sorts of weapons?

I heard that is a weapon used by an international jewish conspiracy against whitey

Blacked knights.

Yes.

>people are still responding to this moron

Based retard

>The word for "fire" was never ever used at any time ever as a military command before gunpowder.

That's a pretty rigid statement.

The explanation is obviously that the Common Tongue is not English, it is merely represented by English in the fictional work. As such, there is no need to use a form of English that fits with a time period of real history that is similar to what GoT might be set in. There is no reason why an expression that is uttered in-world shouldn't be represented by an expression in modern english.

It's very likely the word fire was never used as a verb until it was necessary to actually set fuses ablaze. Cannons in warships are perfect examples of useage of Fire as a verb, but they do use gunpowder.

Nice, opinions validated.

Knock
Draw
Loose

Simple

Pretending to be a different poster isn't going to help you.
Literally just offer any sort of proof that people used the term "fire" as a command to loose projectiles before the invention of gunpowder. If you have nothing and want to just contunually deflect and move goalposts, fuck off.

>Over time the word "fire" became a meme and was used to launch all kinds of ranged attacks
Nope. The word used for archers to "fire" was "loose". "Fire" came into use with gunpowder. It's a modern term. It most likely came from the order to fire a cannon, which was "give fire", when the Firer applied the long match to the fuse. Over time, it was just shortened to 'fire".

For a scorpion like that, the command would make more sense being something like "release!" or "Let loose!" There's no context in Martin's world for "fire" being battle related.

As a verb to unleash arrows on your enemies, it is highly unlikely to have been used.

I believe LOOSE is the correct term or at least that's what Braveheart taught me and those guys conquered the entire world

Attached: lindeythrones.png (1151x915, 93K)

I think it is very likely that the word fire was used in ship-to-ship combat long before there was cannons.

So to sum this thread up: I'm saying "fire" was used, not always, but it was used. Even for weapons without any actual fiery parts. Then there is the crowd screaming that is is absolutely impossible that this ever happened. Not even for greek fire.

On one hand it is, but on the other 'fire!' before blackpowder weapons appears to make sense only because we're used to it being the command now. Poisoned projectiles have also been used througout history, yet you would never think 'poison!' was used as a command to shoot

Does your back hurt from moving that goalpost so much?

Explain?

user.
You don't understand how basic human reasoning works. Just FYI. It's kinda like speaking with a alien.
A retarded alien.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons
>must be wrapped inflammable material and drenched with chemicals
>weighed more than regular arrows

Attached: 1556241608122.jpg (800x800, 71K)

The word used for archers, in say 1000 CE wasn't "loose" it was some old ass english word which later developed into "loose", possibly. Medieval english is not intelligible anymore, so when we look at a fictional work that is set in a mixture of time periods loosely around the late medieval period, and we're going to use English to represent the language, we might aswell use 2019 english, completely ignoring etymological bullshit about "hurr durr but you' dont technically FIIIRE an arrow" rather than 2019 english but only using words whose etymology makes LITERAL sense in a very old setting.

(You)

Attached: 1556125460881.gif (746x479, 196K)

based retard

It's the UK word, other cultures had other words. But never "fire". But movies and shows are full of anachronisms, because accurate words and phrases would be lost on the mainstream audience. Or shit like people throwing tomatoes in Braveheart, when they hadn't been imported from the New World yet.

I've read that Master And Commander changed a lot of the technical language/slang actual sailors would have used, because nobody in the audience would know what the fuck they'd be talking about.

When u know u just gonna respawn, why not?

fire arrows arent a real life thing. but since they were used in the show, it can be assumed thats where the term fire came from. either that or from dragon fire.

>implying that doesn't just strengthen Lindy's credibility

>bro what I'm saying is 100% true
>provide proof
>lol no

Attached: 1555959053004.jpg (1171x936, 87K)

I never noticed that they threw tomatoes in brave heart. Lol

The goalposts doesn't move. languages change.

It's a simple concept that you seem incapable of grasping.
"Fire" was so commonly used for launching incendiary projectiles that the word also came to be used for non-incendiary projectiles.

And I'm not talking about any fucking flame arrows here, but heavier stuff.

>I think it is very likely that the word fire was used in ship-to-ship combat long before there was cannons.
What you think is irrelevant. Useage of the word 'fire' as a verb only makes sense when setting things ablaze. Fire arrows were your best bet, but the command to unleash them is still 'loose'.
>So to sum this thread up: I'm saying "fire" was used, not always, but it was used. Even for weapons without any actual fiery parts. Then there is the crowd screaming that is is absolutely impossible that this ever happened. Not even for greek fire.
Fire wasn't originally a verb, it was a noun. Greeks didn't speak English, so their commands obviously were not tied to this discussion. As for Greek fire, we don't even know what it was or how it was supposedly used. We believe it was just a sticky flammable hydrophobic substance. Spraying it would be absolutely retarded, it was likely catapulted inside amphoras onto enemy ships and structures and then set ablaze.

>I think it is very likely that the word fire was used in ship-to-ship combat long before there was cannons.
To "fire" what, exactly? Ship to ship combat before cannons was ramming and boarding. There was no projectile throwing. And it was rare. Naval warfare was not really a thing until cannons. They were mostly transport. The vikings would bump ships into each other and tie them together, and then duke it out like on land.

this guy on youtube has a channel where he breaks down historical movies and how historically accurate they are. it's pretty good and i'm pretty sure his video on master and commander said it was pretty accurate to what it would've been like.

>Medieval english is not intelligible anymore
It's not THAT bad. Check this out.
sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/teachslf/milt-par.htm

you guys know there's an entire field of study dedicated to this shit right?

etymonline.com/word/fire
>Meaning "to discharge artillery or a firearm" (originally by application of fire) is from 1520s; extended sense of "to throw (as a missile)" is from 1580s.

loose
>Of arrows from c. 1400.

so loose is much older than fire which wasn't a word until well after firearms

The problem, pointed out itt, is that the series got it correct earlier with 'knock, draw, loose'. Why would they change terminology midseries?

>"Fire" was so commonly used for launching incendiary projectiles that the word also came to be used for non-incendiary projectiles.
[CITATION NEEDED]
>And I'm not talking about any fucking flame arrows here, but heavier stuff.
Like what? Before gunpowder, what is a 'heavier' flammable projectile than flaming arrows?

Sid "what" was pretty accurate? The sets? Damn skippy, they did a great job. Costumes? Same. But language has changed so much since then, that what the sailors would have been rattling off to each other getting their jobs done, especially the slang a lot of the lower crewmen would have used, would be gibberish to us - at least that's what the article I read said.

>Greeks didn't speak English, so their commands obviously were not tied to this discussion

I was never talking about english specifically. That wouldn't make sense, since the language did not develop in isolation. Sorry for any confusion.

Jar filled with tar. Greek fire. A simple torch thrown over a wall.

Galaxy-brained "No."

Attached: 1551066860802.jpg (569x802, 72K)

>so loose is much older than fire which wasn't a word until well after firearms
We know. There is a single softheaded user in this thread claiming otherwise.

You're trying way too hard.

He's probably a Reddit fag anyway

literal retard
kill yourself

A jar filled with tar and greek fire operate the same way. Care to guess how the targets were set ablaze after being covered in flammable liquids? Flaming arrows.
I highly doubt people would exclaim 'FIRE' as a verb to have their soldiers chuck torches over walls. You're reaching.

>fire arrows

Attached: 1540214294186.jpg (1065x859, 113K)

And so you just had to post this when we are talking about shooting/loosing something?

Based dutchposting