Was this the end of its kind? These epics. They filmed it almost on location...

Was this the end of its kind? These epics. They filmed it almost on location. We watched it in history class and my teacher broke it down then we went to Gettysburg.

Attached: gettysburg-bd.jpg (800x961, 204K)

BAYONETS! SWING LIKE A DOOR!

cgi ruined everything

You have to walk a fine line with films like this. Just look at the embarrassment that is Gods and Generals.

I actually didn't even know about that one until I went to buy this one on blu ray, only had the DVD I bought after class way back when. Weird how drastic the reviews are

I cried hard when I watched this. RIP general Lee, we failed you...

Why are we proud of the Civil War??? Its the dumbest war ever. All Lincoln needed to do was buy up all the slaves and send them back to africa. Instead he got 1 out of every 10 males killed because he was stubborn.

I had a weird dream I was at his home, and there were like android butlers and stuff. Back in that time period.

actually the south fought with every man and ounce of energy that it could possibly muster. every physical calorie that could pulled from the ground or ripped from an animal and then-some were spent in the south's attempt at secession. you guys gave it your absolute all and you have nothing to be ashamed of for losing. go look at the difference in food stockpile for richmond from before the war began to a year after it began to get a sense of how utterly fucked the south was from the beginning if you haven't already. as for livestock, you guys barely had enough horses to pull artillery to the front let alone compete with the union cavalry advantage, and the cavalry regiments you did have became fucking legends due to how fast and hard they hit with so few. tj jackon's infantry were afoot and they practically moved like a cavalry regiment during the west virginia battles all the way to malvern hill. i could go on forever about how much i fucking adore the lessons any army in any time can learn from the confederates in the 1860s.
t. new england yankee

it wasnt about slavery... but imagine if he did that, i would actually visit California, Chicago, new york

Im not a CSAaboo but yeah there is a reason there was respect for them up until a few years ago with the rise of outrage shit. They're still Americans and god damn they fought hard.

It’s not diverse enough, and the white men aren't one dimensionally evil enough

I'm not a Confederate, I'm a Finn.

Almost as if it was about power and not slavery

>slavery has nothing to do with power
Really nigger

Also, their loss ensured that we would forever live as servants of a distant federal government in DC. The defeat of the CSA was a defeat for all freedom loving Americans. Secession is a fundamental element of self-determination.

Can they even show that in a History class nowadays without someone getting triggered and complaining?

My history professor showed us Saving Private Ryan in 11th grade.

Same. She also had us watch We Were Soldiers when we got to the Vietnam unit.

Attached: Napalm.jpg (601x254, 57K)

I can never watch this shit, and Waterloo to the end. The wrong side won. Vive l'empreur.

Wow ok racist

The Hatfields and McCoys was kino that wasnt that long ago, but TNT got bought out and had their production gutted.

Gods and Generals (Directors Cut) is the greatest cinematic experience I have ever had. 5 hours long and perfectly crafted. Feels like an old epic, except I don’t get bored halfway through like I do with Ben Hurr. Genuinely incredible, but you need 5 hours to spare. The theatrical cut however is total garbage which I could never recommend.

Probably the only accurate Vietnam War film.

this is truth. that film got raped.

How long is the theatrical cut? I'm tryna find directors cut on putlockers, and I wanna be sure I found the right.

They used some CGI in Gods and Generals and it honestly looked like trash.

Although I think that may have had more to do with the primitive state of CGI at the time rather than poor effort.

Based and Secessionpilled

Attached: They call me Stonewall.jpg (1200x786, 137K)

Except it's not that accurate...

Attached: US Marine with captured Type 56 in Hue, Vietnam.jpg (1800x1162, 176K)

W-will it ever rise again, bros?

the facial hair is so kino

I think Lee would say that he failed us. Remember his lament after Pickett's Charge? While many tried to pin the blame on Longstreet and Stuart, Lee only blamed himself for what happened. So much so that he nearly resigned and had to be talked out of it by Davis.

Attached: pickett's charge aftermath general lee.jpg (1034x554, 309K)

Watch Waterloo. Pretty cool movie with no cgi and tons of extras. You get a nice overview of how the battle played out.

I think that strongly hinges on what your definition of the South "rising again" is.

If "rising again" is the destruction of the Union and the establishment of a second "Confederate States of America", you could most definitely be successful in that (albeit only at extreme cost). There is no way I can't imagine a country as bureaucratically dysfunctional as the United States not fragmenting in a Civil War, especially in a war where the enemy is not contained to one region, but is everywhere (as was the case in Yugoslavia).

If "rising again" is a return to Antebellum slavery, segregation, or the new Confederacy replacing the Union as a Superpower, you'd be falling way short of that goal. The revived CSA might be the strongest of post-American states but would only have a fraction of the old Republic's power and prestige. For example, a revived CSA would likely not be allowed to take the USA's seat at the UN Security Council.

The South will be an absolute shitfest in the event of a Second Civil War and I'm not even talking about race here.

You'd have neo-Confederates split into at least two factions, the extremists (Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis etc.) who want a full blown race war against blacks and the moderates ("Heritage Not Hate" civic nationalists, states' rightists, Christian fundamentalists, what's left of the state governments etc.) who want what more resembles a return to the status quo but with the Confederate flag replacing the American one. Either they'd somehow have to find a way to put their differences aside and fight the Yankees (US government) or they will be killing each other even more than they do Yankees.

IMO the moderates would likely win out simply because their platform is appealing to a much larger crowd, they could actually strike a deal with black leaders trading their loyalty to a new Confederate government for a seat at the table, and would be more likely to win recognition abroad.

tl;dr have realistic goals

Attached: your goals vs my goals confederate scissors.png (1358x768, 779K)

The only thing about this movie I disliked was the sound. Real life guns don't make little puff sounds like they all seem to in old movies, they're fucking loud. Compare audio from Gettysburg and Gods and Generals and you'll just how much sound effects have improved in such a short time.

Attached: Charge of Jackson's Brigade Manassas.jpg (1200x788, 150K)

Every Vietnam film before or since, save for films not actually about Vietnam (i.e. FMJ) are the worst war films in the business, indeed the worst subgenre of film at all. They're all made by old hippies or young communists who's closest brush with warfare came when chad knocked them over while playing flag football in middle school. Perhaps their "message"(if you can call repeating maxims they saw on a poster at their local library a "message") were edgy in 1950, but today it's nothing but the same incessant drone we've all heard from birth.

>WAR IS BAD
>AMERICA IS THE OPPRESSOR
>VIETNAM WAS A MISTAKE

Look at this innocent Vietnamese kid! Look at him crying while stone-faced GI #1 needlessly burns down his village while the protagonist, SHOCKED that these events are occuring, contemplates in the background! Never mind that, in real life, that kid was enslaved or murdered by the Viet-Cong long before the Americans got to him. Never mind that the history of the Vietnam War is filled with nuance. Look at these protestors! Look at how BRAVE they are! Never mind that all polls taken showed that the majority of America supported the war right until the end, and that most were angry about how they left them in '75. What a TRAGIC LOSS OF INNOCENCE. What a HARROWING TALE OF EVIL. We must NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN

>Born on the Fourth of July
>The Deer Hunter
>Dead Presidents
>The Post
>Hearts and Minds
>Casualties of War

I hate them all.

Attached: 1493593676015.jpg (640x638, 34K)

You do realize that buying requires that the seller has to agree to give you his merchandise in the first place, right?

Attached: big bird slaveowner.jpg (529x487, 33K)

>tfw your waifu will never be teleported into the relative safety Gettysburg movie universe and is destined to die a horrible death in the Schindler's List movie universe

It hurts

Attached: why are all these goyim killing each other?.jpg (2220x1842, 728K)

t. never fired a musket

But I have user

Attached: 45762277231_38368970b5_b.jpg (1024x768, 108K)

Gods and Generals was originally intended as a miniseries or even a mid-length TV series (2-3 seasons) and they basically had to condense all the footage into one two hour film. That's why it's a mess.

Stephen Lang's acting though won me over.

Attached: Gods and Generals.jpg (2400x3000, 1.4M)

It's the same fucking movie as Gettysburg.

Stop whining about MUH LOST CAUSE.!!!.1 just because Stonewall Jackson and JEB Stuart are accurately portrayed.

The Deer Hunter is kino. By the way, what do you think of Apocalypse Now?

Oliver Stone is an outlier seeing how he actually fought in Vietnam, but overall this is correct

gettysburg was worthless and bad command. im tired of hearing about the biggest meme battle that didnt even matter

They did. They rose as Americans and now they fight and work with us. Only the idiots who haven't done anything in life consider themselves "against" us, I never met a southerner in the military who wasn't a friend to me despite being a yankee. Actually I found people from the rural northwest to be tightly wound weirdos by comparison and all those guys did in war was slaughter indians... Go figure.

i really hope you didnt fire that rusted shit with your cracks in the stock and your lack of training thats so bad you dont even know how to hold the thing. you know, keeping your display piece at full cock all the time like that is damaging to the inner lock, right? of course you didnt

why are you trying to act all high and mighty when you have clearly never heard any type of musket being fired with any projectile. the puffing noises you are claiming come from barrels with lower amount of power and no projectile. dont act like you know

user maybe you were just sitting in an acoustic shadow

I did not know that, it makes a lot of sense when you consider the 5 hour directors cut is actually incredible which is about right for a mini-series.

Theatrical is 2 hours I think, directors is 5 hours.

I greatly enjoyed Apocalypse Now, which falls into the category of Not-Really-About-The-War. When it was released everyone fell over themselves to say "this is how the war really was!" because they're utter retards who either didn't read Heart of Darkness or actually thought we had surfing colonels and paramilitary cults running around the jungle. 5/5 movie though, one of my favorites.

Deer Hunter completely jumps the shark in the third act to become some whacked out absurdist fantasy. Rambo: First Blood does it better because it knows it's crazy.

I don't know what happened to Oliver Stone. Maybe he got a little fucked up in Vietnam or the cocaine pushed him overboard, or maybe both. If you wanna go down the rabbit hole look at his theory on 9/11. Puts /pol/ to shame.

Attached: 1451970214320.gif (178x177, 1.03M)

*knows it's crazy while still have something to say about soldiers returning from war and their treatment.

same. for us it was only the dday sequence. some spic kid laughed so my teacher threw chewed him out and had him go outside