Was the decision to make Daenerys Targaryen an irredeemable villain the most culturally tone deaf move made by a major...

Was the decision to make Daenerys Targaryen an irredeemable villain the most culturally tone deaf move made by a major media production of the past decade?
>inb4 not paying attention, it makes sense, 40rshAdowing, etc,etc
Not the place for that discussion. I'm talking about whether this was the right move given that GOT started off a niche fantasy show on HBO with a decidedly adult audience (the first season was extremely graphic both sex and violence wise compared to the later seasons) to a show that became a worldwide phenomenon that could be described as "Medieval Star Wars". Little girls were having Game of Thrones birthday parties by this point.

So from purely that perspective, was it still the right choice?

Attached: GettyImages_579450506.jpg (1400x933, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pinterest.com.mx/search/pins/?q=game of thrones kids birthday
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, it was culturally tone deaf:

- offending to women
- offending to survivors of rape
- offending to survivors of family abuse
- offending to sufferers of mental illness
It was a terrible idea

el goblino top center

Dany was never raped

>Yes, it was culturally tone deaf:
agreed
>It was a terrible idea
wrong, being culturally tone deaf is a great idea

There is no way two hollywood jews weren't aware of that, so it's less tonedeaf than just straight out trolling

Umm sweaty, you’re losing the culture war.
I can’t wait for based dnd to purge Star Wars of all those dyed hair wannabe stronk womyn

It it really time deaf if they knew they were going to do it back when they were first starting the show with George?

>I'm talking about whether this was the right move given that GOT started off a niche fantasy show on HBO with a decidedly adult audience (the first season was extremely graphic both sex and violence wise compared to the later seasons) to a show that became a worldwide phenomenon that could be described as "Medieval Star Wars". Little girls were having Game of Thrones birthday parties by this point.
This shift happening at all was the mistake, once that had happened only bullshit could follow.
Also, the first season is the only one that's actually any good.

This, Dany becoming a villain was always the plan. D&D just completely botched the descent and rushed it because they wanted to start writing their Star Wars movie. GRRM is handling it much more carefully in the books.

those two in the middle DAAAYYYYUUMMMMMM

>that fat fuck darkie aspiring to be khal drogo
kino

>Little girls were having Game of Thrones birthday parties by this point.
Awful parenting.

Shit b8.

Decision was fine execution was godawful.

Attached: 936.jpg (625x626, 31K)

she was a villain the entire time

being culturally tone deaf is a good idea if it helps people understand a different point of view
there is absolutely nothing to learn from Danaerys death in GoT
there can't be a woman in the world who saw S8 pan out and thought "maybe this is a warning of the dangers of western white female entitlement in a hostile world"

NAME. NOW

Attached: Untitled.png (234x330, 172K)

that's a dude

No one had a gun to theirs or George's head.

>d&d new since season 5 this is where dany ends up as a character
Man they really fucked up the transition. It wasn't believable at all.

The one next to her in white is better

and?

>picking that instead of the two to her sides

>This, Dany becoming a villain was always the plan.
No one signed a contract saying Dany must go mad in Season 8. It's possible there was a contract saying they must use George's preferred ending for Daenerys. But in that case the blame lies with him.

mein seids

Attached: 1558505898658.jpg (205x174, 14K)

So you're saying all movies and shows should pander to normalfag audience like little girls?

Ask again without being hyperbolic.

Stunning and brave

that was the only thing I could glean from this retarded thread too

Attached: bestgirl.jpg (366x756, 159K)

>Little girls were having Game of Thrones birthday parties by this point.
I'll take "Things that never happened" Alex.

pinterest.com.mx/search/pins/?q=game of thrones kids birthday

Well yeah. For two reasons. One, you really don't want the sway of popular opinion to dictate creative direction. Because (sticking with GoT) 2011 isn't 2019. When the show started people were worried about Mayan calendars and if Obama was going to get reelected. That is a massive difference to today and how would you tell a coherent story if you had to constantly shift around to please the fad of the hour? What you'd end up with is a show with no teeth. Like almost all shows. So go watch them instead.

Two, this shit was already written. At least in some layout by Martin. You want to change something he's worked on since the Gulf fucking War because girls need a role model suddenly? Eat shit. Anyone paying attention to the facts of events instead of their bleeding heart would have seen it coming no later than season 2. I know everyone pretends they knew but I was telling my wife as soon as she took over Qarth that she was a terrible ruler, conqueror, and too ruthless. If you don't see it happening it really is your fault here. And we already got a generic ending where every character got what they wanted INCLUDING DANY. She broke the stupid wheel. Literally every character got exactly what they wanted in the finale. How much more generic do you want? A rainbow to appear and a royal decree that transgender rights are in place? Again, go watch the thousands and thousands of shows made with nothing to say. Your kind of attitude already destroyed the show and you're here bitching it wasn't enough. You won't be happy until all there is is homogeneous shit made to appeal to everyone by appealing to no one. Fuck you.

It's not the show's job to suddenly saintify a character cause some people view her as someone who cannot do wrong. At some point Dany became like Kira in their wyes while she had been doing awful things seasons long. What would it have told you about her character if she had won and not continued on her crusade? She would have remained the same flat character since season 1 who without consequence can burn people for being evil or wrong. The problem is that s8 seems like Danny wasn't invited in the cool kids club at the afterparty and therefore decided to do go edhy fuck-it-all. It needed more time.

My sister had one for her 8 year old daughter. She also went as Dany for Halloween a couple of years ago.

Attached: f40c9f5cfc7755f55020fbf1bea1d735[1].jpg (564x752, 87K)

>You want to change something he's worked on since the Gulf fucking War because girls need a role model suddenly? Eat shit.
Well, first of all he hasn't even finished the next to last book yet, so that argument is on shaky ground if you want to bring it up. Secondly, Game of Thrones grew far beyond the scope of anything ASOIAF ever dreamed of becoming. To make decisions in the now entirely on events from 20 years ago is foolishness.

This is not to say the decision was right or wrong either way, but this particular point you are making is not strong.

>She broke the stupid wheel.
nod rlly

Sometimes a work grows beyond the author's original scope.
>What would it have told you about her character if she had won and not continued on her crusade? She would have remained the same flat character since season 1 who without consequence can burn people for being evil or wrong.

Must it be one or the other extreme? Game of Thrones used to be a show about nuance.

>culturally tone deaf
Good, there's no culture nowadays that doesn't deserve to be spat on its face.

seething samefag autist mad because normal people understand the emotional side of the show that does not factor into their foreshadowing equations

t. diogenes

Who cares?
It was hilarious.
Also, it wasn't culturally deaf, American has no culture.

What's America got to do with any of this?

The vast majority of GoT's audience are dumb american millennials.

>the emotional side of the show
you cant be this much of a faggot

The tv show is british but it's based on an American book series

Attached: milk trust just arrive.jpg (800x1181, 170K)

Incel late to the thread as always. Too scared to reply in a place people will see your posts?

>purged a whole fucking bunch of places out of her thirst for power and twisted self-righteous sense of justice for pretty much as long as the series went on
>i-it came from nowhere
Are you niggers for real

It wasn't a "decision", it was her entire character arc from the beginning both in the show and books and is exactly GRRM's intended ending for her. Not his or the show's fault that retards couldn't see the obvious writing on the wall.

I am about 90% certain this is a particular d-list horror actress but I can't remember her name for the life of me.

the show is supposed to pander to retards according to op

>Game of Thrones used to be a show about nuance.
Maybe for the Westeros characters.
Dany has always been conveniently airbrushed clean of all her flaws.

>brainlet that can't read a post before replying
Anyway, everything is always a decision. There is no point where a creator gets to say "my hands are tied". This is not law enforcement. It's possible D&D had to do what went with George's wishes, and if that is true then George will have to live with that decision.

Not at all. She's a well rounded character with moments of benevolent greatness and moments of blind ambition and ruthlessness. However, until the last few episodes of GOT she was never insane.

Your retarded, worthless assumption hinges on the incorrect notion that writing a powerful female character as a villain is "wrong" because it will offend other equally retarded people as yourself who were rooting for her despite constant evidence that she is an objectively evil person. Fucking kys you pathetic brainlet. Sent.

But that's what it did? Pander to retards, that is. Or rather idiots who think because a story has hinted at a pattern then that pattern must be repeated. These are the people who would have had Luke Skywalker turn to the Dark side because

>Yoda says he's too old for training
>Yoda says he's full of anger
>Anakin also turned
>Luke acts impetuous or irrational at times

But he HAS to turn because it was FORESHADOWED. Weren't you paying attention???

Shit bait

>despite constant evidence that she is an objectively evil person.
There is little of that. The great majority of the "evidence" ever brought up about this conveniently neglects the context of the situation (the majority of people she had killed were doing highly unethical things) and and also forgets about the dozen times Daenerys was shown to be one of the most benevolent figures of the show.

Its a story about a megalomaniacal young womans rise to power.

Dunno how you would compare it to a heroes story.

Being an aristocratic offspring who decides to kill people in order to rule over others because thats her "birthright" is pretty evil from the start.

You're not smart enough to make this argument user. Go back and study megalomania and the hero's journey some more and realize saying these things "don't compare" is utter foolishness.

You are not smart enough to reply to that comment sorry sweaty.

he's right you dumb fat girl

it makes sense and was foreshadowed for years. you just weren't paying attention. etc.

The majority of Daenery's story has the eventual battle in Westeros as an agonizing theoretical future she is putting off realizing goes against the message of the war she has fought in Essos. Because that's when all the grandstanding about her right to rule must be put up against her beliefs about slaves and masters.

Book Daenerys has never faced down this scenario yet so we have no idea how she will finally handle it.

Show Daenerys was pretty well ruined by this contradiction and the way the writers handled it so abruptly. Up until season 8 the feeling would have been Dany would have to finally bite her tongue and admit she cannot be at once the Breaker of Chains and sit on the Iron Throne at the same time.

Elizabeth Gillies? Saw it too.

Attached: gillies.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

>Show builds up an SJW-tier teenage girl who wants to be the great liberator who leads an army of foreigners to smash the white patriarchy
>She gets assassinated by a white male
>Another white male ultimately takes the throne

Are D&D based?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

And where does she realize that? All i remember is she basically took the same stance her brother did "I am Targaryan, im the rightful ruler, people should bow to me" etc.

Yeah she prefered they love her as well but that doesnt change the moral implications. She was willing to be a tyrant from the start.

And hell it fits so clearly with what GRRM is doing with this series in general. Deconstructing and subverting. She is basically the anti-Arragorn.

I'm honestly amazed it happened

What is wrong with you 'MURICA.
Why you so obsessed with tv shows and other media?

4 year old joffrey with a crossbow is great. I'd watch him kill some whores.

>Show Dany
>"Well-rounded"
Absolute maximum overkek

She was always supposed to go crazy you brainlet. They even show her roasting the living fuck out of a supposedely innocent noble for the death of Selmy, fully aware of his possible innocence but still not giving a flying fuck. Its just that D&D are incompetent faggots that couldnt wait for the mouse shekels to flow in and so decided to rush right past the thousands of instances in Danys life that contributed to her insanity wothout proper ezposition. If you sit down and list out all yhe major event in Danys life its a surprise she didnt lose her mind sooner. Unfortunately normies are pea brained retards with the attention span of a rabid squirrel and so unssurprisingly failed to comprehend why she went completely bonkers, instead chalking it up to misogyny and gay writing

based

>And where does she realize that?
She was supposed to realize that in Season 8. But bad writing prevented it.

Which George are we taking about Lucas?
He had a better tragedy, and then the redemption.

Blood of my blood!
You kept all your promises to me.
You killed my enemies in their fancy suits.
You tore down their fake news.
You gave me the Seven Swing States!
Anons.
All of you were torn from society and raised by Yea Forums.
But the Meme War is not over.
Men, women, children.
Millions suffer still, under the wheel of degeneracy.
WILL YOU BREAK THE WHEEL WITH ME?!!!

Attached: fadly-romdhani-queen-of-the-ashes.jpg (1748x2480, 254K)

It looks a lot like her but 99.99% chance it isn't her. I was thinking of someone else.

> All i remember is she basically took the same stance her brother did "I am Targaryan, im the rightful ruler, people should bow to me" etc.
She has a long conversation with Tyrion about this that ends with her first "break the wheel" statement. You did watch the show, didn't you?

Delusions of grandeur.

Right here volks!

>GOT started off a niche fantasy show on HBO
GOT started off as a book series dating back to 1996 titled A Song of Ice and Fire

You're so smart user

Got started almost 10 years ago.

you think I'm joking

>If you sit down and list out all yhe major event in Danys life its a surprise she didnt lose her mind sooner.

Honestly, star wars ep 3 did bit better, in a shorter amount of time. when Anakin turns into Darth Vader

And Gundam.

I just love that both roasties and normies are fuming. Don't give a fuck about the decision, it was great just based on the amount of salt it generated. All the YAAS QUEEN SLAY was suddenly silenced.

This shit is definitely forced on by the parents. Fuck this kind of people. They probably wanted to be Peppa Pig or something and they made them wear their fantasyshit costumes to parade them around like pets

I have pretty /pol/lock tendencies and I agree with a lot of the left wing and feminist criticism of it. I think d&d are sociopaths, not like they're evil cause they killed my favorite character or whatever, but I think they have no empathy and can't put themselves in characters shoes which is why the writing is so bad, and benioff is only capable of self insert writing

Do you really have to spoiler that? lmfao

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 67K)

You think?

don't tell them about luke and his father

When you realize that most of the world is run by ruthlessly ambitious workaholics and that includes everyone in hollywood you'll realize what a crock television is. Books are somewhat better, but you'd still better wait for a series to finish before picking it up. Don't get Jordan'd.

why did this girl in the middle with the big tiddies not cosplay as Margaery Tyrell instead, she looks way more like her than danny

the fan of a character are not in the position to decide his future.
you can't let popular demand decide the ends of a story, like with any other professional enterprise.

>you can't let popular demand decide the ends of a story,
The only person stopping you is you.

For a marketing perspective it is one of the single greatest fuck ups in entertainment history.

They should have just had Cersei blow up kings landing in a suicide and Danny get betrayed by Tyrion.

This is the person that types "have sex"

you can't negotiate with terrorists.