/RBMK/ - Chernobyl General

*sip* ahhhh Chernobyl... now THAT was a blast Edition
Previous thread:

Attached: 1541002615435.png (661x405, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/w8cldMgrsLc
youtube.com/watch?v=THO6RioTJso
youtube.com/watch?v=zCcQgpjqyBw&t=467s
youtube.com/watch?v=IkAp5gAYDUQ
youtu.be/qkTRamZ0PsQ
theguardian.com/world/2009/jul/02/cuba-chernobyl-health-children
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1ct5yEuVY&list=RDAE1ct5yEuVY&start_radio=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_damage#Effects_on_solids
youtube.com/watch?v=sonLd-32ns4
youtube.com/watch?v=2ANI6oj8p2M
youtube.com/watch?v=CzRX06Xqu80
imdb.com/title/tt4082596/plotsummary?ref_=tt_stry_pl
strawpoll.me/18031840
youtube.com/watch?v=jAf6RWvydCQ
youtu.be/frAEmhqdLFs
youtu.be/mrojrDCI02k
climatenexus.org/climate-news-archive/nuclear-energy-us-expensive-source-competing-cheap-gas-renewables/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i want to see faceless akimov

are we gonna get a kino mutant baby scene?

Attached: excellent choice.jpg (1383x1253, 117K)

*blocks your path*

Attached: 3AF27B86-7509-485F-83ED-A4D2F143385F.jpg (777x791, 149K)

xth for KGB verification. Make sure to not spread misinformation!

THE BILLDOZER

Attached: 1558422507152.jpg (810x911, 417K)

>Poor little twink minister 5

Attached: miner.png (1392x509, 1.01M)

I could do without tobehonestfam

how is he able to speak if he's faceless?

youtu.be/w8cldMgrsLc

Attached: 1558466263559.png (798x1735, 350K)

thread theme:
>youtube.com/watch?v=THO6RioTJso

post radioactive music, stalkers

The Virgin Party Official vs THE CHAD PROLETARIAN

Was Akimov the one who was forced to confirm the reactor was indeed exposed and looked right into it?

we need to cut off all communication to and from this thread--- nobody is allowed in or out.
we must contain the spread of misinformation

Attached: cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpg (1200x675, 163K)

You came to the wrong tunnel motherfucker.

curious

he's a big guy

guys does my man legasov survive? hope he lives long...

spoopy inside reactor 4 vid
youtube.com/watch?v=zCcQgpjqyBw&t=467s

Attached: 1557266734934.jpg (1920x1080, 977K)

Dude is built. If he lost some weight he would look really good.

Still thinking about that 'trust but verify' line.

small pecker lmao

>Revolutionary care: Castro's doctors give hope to the children of Chernobyl

>more than 18,000 Ukrainian children to have been treated over the years at the Tarara facility near the Cuban capital, Havana.

reminder
FUCK /chrnbl/
and
FUCK /ghoul/

Attached: 1547948872892.jpg (849x846, 230K)

Attached: 66666.png (658x662, 62K)

Yes but it was only 3.6 roentgen-- hardly lethal. I'm told it's the equivalent of a chest x-ray.

Virgin Scientist vs Chad Miner

DYATLOV APPROVED THEME
youtu.be/qkTRamZ0PsQ

That was Sitnikov

Attached: 1557517840262.jpg (960x960, 229K)

>Revolutionary care: Castro's doctors give hope to the children of Chernobyl

>more than 18,000 Ukrainian children to have been treated over the years at the Tarara facility near the Cuban capital, Havana.

theguardian.com/world/2009/jul/02/cuba-chernobyl-health-children

>tfw no qt slav widow gf
why even live?

Attached: slavfu.jpg (1064x948, 464K)

I'm gonna join in guys, hope I'm not too late.

Attached: 1557662957930.png (984x1144, 1.03M)

>Ukraine is so poor even Cuba has better hospitals
lmao

EPISODE 3 THEME : youtube.com/watch?v=AE1ct5yEuVY&list=RDAE1ct5yEuVY&start_radio=1

>all of this just to boil some FUCKIN water

Attached: 3.jpg (1024x683, 147K)

two weeks left before the show is over

You can participate in the thread but only if you post behind the plastic

>outa my way politburo fucking shits.

Akimov was the traumatized mustache guy that Dyatlov yells at. He later goes to turn the valves with Toptunov aka nosebleed guy. Akimov and Toptunov were in charge of the reactor panel.

Attached: smug.png (1920x1080, 1.68M)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1551877650014.jpg (918x597, 216K)

why did the robots die? they are not alive

hot af and I don't mean the tunnel

AZ-5 button means Aвapийнaя Зaщитa (Emergency Protection). This button activates mechanism that pushes boron-filled control rods into the reactor core, slowing down the reaction and shutting the reactor down. The problem was that these boron-filled rods had tips made of graphite (which is bad, it actually sped up the reaction instead of slowing it down). And the actuator motor was too slow (took about 25 seconds for the rods to travel down the core, while it would be ideal for them to be dropped in a second). So when the graphite tips entered the reactor core the power increased so much, the pressure pushed the rods out the core violently and prevented shutdown completely.

That's the connection between AZ-5 button and explosion.

Attached: 10471_original.jpg (1000x667, 238K)

>that sickly, malnourished look
diamonds

Thanks.

Just when you thought no more kino characters were going to show up this fucker comes at you with his dick out and his hands black

Ide hate have his job. Bossing around turbo alpha males.

In our university if you fill the quota you need 96 out of 300 score on final exams after school to get into nuclear physics speciality for free.

Attached: 1557774870651.jpg (471x388, 94K)

You're gonna see the based liquidators next week. Get caught up quick.

Attached: trust but verify.png (1920x1080, 3M)

dreamin bout her...

Attached: 1558420198349.jpg (2546x1430, 1015K)

has this show changed your perception about nuclear reactors?

Attached: chern.png (873x681, 1.03M)

And give up vodka and a big meal after work? Fuck that.

What UNI, what country?

>you cant be here
>*is there*
>you're not pregnant, are you?
>"no"
>you can't touch him!
>*touches him, a lot*
dare i say she got her just... sieverts?

Attached: 1552935690315.jpg (595x345, 29K)

What would have happened if they didn't push it ?

now the long war begins:
tripfags in the thread should be destroyed
their posts turned over
and memes burned

Did Reagan really stole our proverb? Fucking faggot.

PIZDA

Attached: 15584655961050.png (807x505, 58K)

only about russian ones

first for core-chan

Attached: 1558451554142.png (1920x798, 1.36M)

no not really
who doesn't already know that if a nuclear reactor explodes you're going to get fucked the fuck up on a molecular level

B-But if you need the feel to verify isn't that a lack of trust?

Attached: 1558462097361.jpg (1280x720, 530K)

whole lot of trouble for boiling water

I love how reactor chan is so jealous. Once you look upon her you'll never look at another woman again. Because you won't have a face.

yeah i now want to fug one

Attached: 1558211953791.png (707x1080, 787K)

No, I know what radiation can do the people and I still support the building of nuclear reactors. At least when they go wrong they allow nature to re-take the area surrounding the location, whereas coal just kills everything.

this show is so fucking good

I'll not tell the name of the UNI, but it's in Russia.

Attached: 1549736531988.jpg (178x182, 3K)

Shut up /pol/ RBMK reactors can't explode, take your conspiracies elsewhere.

/chrnbl/fag is claiming his thread got deleted for posting "gore" lmao

No, I considered them graft bullshit before. The only reason why they exist at all is nuclear weapons and because the government pays for all R&D, insurance, construction and cleanup. If it didn't that garbage would be economically unfeasible.

Inb4 thorium nobody has the slightest clue how to build a reactor that works with that and isn't even less safe than RMBK memes.

There are two issues that you have to deal with when designing a nuclear reactor, comrade:

1. Neutrons emitted by U235 fission are too "fast" to be captured by other U235 atoms and sustain the chain reaction. They must be slowed down first. This is called "moderation."
2. The total amount of emitted neutrons must be controlled otherwise the reactor blows up. This is called "absorption."

Various materials can perform neutron moderation and absorption, comrade. For example, water actually does both. Dunking the fuel rods in a water bath lets the water pull quadruple duty as a neutron moderator, absorber, reactor coolant, and turbine spinner. However, comrade, it is much cheaper to use graphite to moderate the neutrons and have only enough water to keep the reactor cool and spin the generators. This is why the fuel rods of the RBMK reactors were embedded within a graphite brick.

This is a problem, comrade, because when the coolant water gets too hot it boils. When the water boils, its density drops such that it can no longer effectively absorb neutrons -- there simply isnt enough material per volume. Because the graphite shell is ALWAYS present and moderating neutrons, the overall reaction rate therefore increases dramatically. This causes a sharp uptick in heat and thus boils more water, increasing the effect in a positive feedback loop.

While there are safety systems in place to kill the reactor if this happens, comrade, the operators turned them all off. They wanted to test the reactor performance at extreme low power in which the turbine wasnt spinning. This was unfortunate, comrade, because spinning the turbine was what cooled the water before it re-entered the reactor chamber. As such, the water immediately boiled when they tried the test and blew the lid of the chamber in a steam explosion. Which caused further fires as the superheated carbon was exposed to oxygen and the core melted.

And that, comrade, is how an RBMK reactor DOES NOT explode.

Also the chief shift engineer of Chernobyl-2 reactor (working at full capacity than night) immediately smashed AZ-5 at his own responsibility upon hearing the explosion. Maybe, he prevented another disaster. Anyways, the fuel cladding in Chernobyl-2 was wasted beyond recovery and it took another 14 years to re-start the reactor.

You can get really fucked up with steam, oil, electricity, toxic waste, whatever.

Meltdown, probably. And much faster than it occurred in the show.

It's a pretty common idea that I'm sure more than one group of people have come up with it on their own

Hasn't changed anything. They're cool as fuck and are the future of energy.

Attached: 1558418453089.png (1303x862, 1.42M)

feel the need*

Not much, Nuclear reactors are a necessary evil for power at this point
Also we should be putting research into thorium reactors before we start to fall behind

The guy had just stepped out into the cold night air, it's shrinkage

Nope. I knew all about the accident and was happy to hear they would make a miniseries.

Attached: HgE3jk5.webm (720x404, 1.67M)

Nuclear is pretty good, i guess

how about that for episode 1's theme

I wouldn't mind him blocking my path and mining my tunnel.

>In our university if you fill the quota

What is the quota?

Anyone know how this is going to end?

Didn't IRL Dyatlov turn off safety measures cause he was paid to sabotage it but he thought it would only be a small break and didn't understanding into nuclear?

What is Dyatlov's favorite anime?

this is the dumbest shit I read all day, it's literally the other way around you fucking brainlet

Attached: 4L_H9nco8tm.jpg (250x231, 7K)

Why would you not just shoot him and put him out of his misery?

WHY ARE THESE THREADS SO FAST NOW

Read what happened to her baby.

Yeah, so much that Chernobyl is a wasteland like Mad Max, right?

1. not my thread
2. gore is not ok in the OP picture. That's how it has always worked, newfag.

Photo of real victim btw

Attached: 15584643187150.jpg (1333x604, 37K)

/got/ evacuatees.

based explanator

20 years of gulag

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_damage#Effects_on_solids

>implying that nature is going to reclaim an area that has been dosed with 30,000 roetgen

Orphans, disabled people etc. But mostly people who have connections on factories.

>be a dumb bitch
>lost a child
looks like a natural selection to me

>has this show changed your perception about nuclear reactors?
Naeh.
I was pro nuclear power before, and still am.
Best green choice for getting off coal, others aren't enough or at least can't be set up quickly enough.

Ok, coal lobbyist.

Not , but wasn't the baby heavily radioactive at the moment of its birth?

Where can I watch ep. 3?
Torrents are throttled to shit.

The fucking morphine dosent even work.

Literally rotting alive.

It only isn't because they stopped the core from exploding outright. Are you even watching this show? It could've gone much worse.

Nope, in fact I'm driving to my job at one this very moment

>too "fast" to be captured by other U235 atoms
What does it mean?

it is literally not against the rules, try again

Post Iodine QT

I want to give a headpat to one

Attached: 1558469942537.jpg (1294x1000, 138K)

fuck all happened this episode tbqh
the miners, who I thought were based af, did fuck all when incompetent commanders were being retarded, and it all seemed like a repeat of what happened the passed two episodes with "oh no this is worse than we though uh oh"
the sabotage redpill finally coming to fruition was nice, but I just found out this is a mini series with 3 episodes left
so.... wtf

Attached: ayy size diff.jpg (994x986, 134K)

I kind of regret making this image. It felt really tasteless doing it, I just want people of this thread to know that I respect the heroes involved, but that I thought the tastelessness of it became a joke in and of itself.

Sorry Vasily Ignatenko, rest in peace.

Attached: f.jpg (587x615, 112K)

Do mind the radioactive wolves, they can be such a bother sometimes!

Attached: g6pTtXy.jpg (810x1080, 164K)

Chechen's, and other scum to, right? Altought, I doubt that they can pass at least 96.

Are you one of those retards that think that the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is a grey wasteland like in your video games?

dinosaurs polluted Earth with farts more than 500 Chernobyls,and that's a scientific fact

>/RBMK/
You're really pushing this meme, huh?

That's many active RBMK's, comrade.

No, because I do not change my perception about flying based on russian planes crashing with no survivors.

Mostly because Europeans have finished the episode by now. We watch everything about 12-24 hours after Americans. Also, tons of people have gotten tired of /got/ since the show is over.

Imagine if they all blocked your path haha

Attached: hah.png (510x405, 205K)

>REACTED

Pikalov was only listed for 1 episode on IMDB. I was so happy to see him immediately in ep3.

Attached: 15002.jpg (1920x962, 113K)

stay seething

Its not even the final stage. Look.

Attached: 1558447868917.png (740x900, 923K)

That's been the official name for weeks, you gotnewfag.

This is no meme, you're delusional.

Attached: 1558457002764.png (900x676, 410K)

Fuck you mr. Hickey

I think this is not Vasily Ignatenko. This is an actor.

Chernobyl stray dogs.

Attached: L8WEGbH.webm (640x480, 1.92M)

Fukushima Mini serie when ?

Global rule 5, friend.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: need some rad away.webm (1280x720, 1.04M)

you need to be at least 18 years old to post on Yea Forums chan

Attached: 2340896.jpg (514x623, 117K)

Why was this poor soul kept alive?

They have too high of an energy level to be absorbed by the nuclei of other U235 atoms, they skip off their surfaces like skipping rocks on a pond. Some of that energy must be absorbed by collisions with other material before they're at a low enough energy level to get picked up by other U235 atoms at a consistent pace.

>this really bad thing could have happened, burn more coal instead!

How does coal kill nature forever? This doesn't make any sense. The excavation sites are made into lakes

Attached: dumb_core.jpg (1292x999, 186K)

why is a contaminated thing still radioactive after a long period of time? what determines to shit neutrons constantly?

Attached: 268x0w[1].jpg (268x402, 26K)

Was Finchy in the show just to deliver one line?

That applies to actual gore, retard. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to post most violent images. God you're such a fucking moron.

>Best green choice for getting off coal, others aren't enough or at least can't be set up quickly enough.
A combination of solar, wind, and hydro power could power the grid tomorrow if the world actually cared.

Attached: 014.jpg (679x470, 100K)

Do they know about the shrinkage?

Why was he kept alive?

Dat feel when you risk your lives to dig under the reactor while naked and the cooling mechanism never installed.

It's a good image.I feel like these threads give more life to those victims. Nobody forgets for a second their misfortune.

science

and yet you still couldn't resist posting it

Its been over 30 years user I think its safe to make jokes about it by now.

Are you the one who asks valid questions in the stupidest manner possible in every thread? Why?

>heaters, por favor

>that guy at the end still getting bandaged instead of being put down

The humor doesn't come from the fact he is dying. The humor comes from the fact the people in charge at chernobyl were so incompetent that they allowed the misinformation of 3.6 roentgens to be spread for days after the initial explosion (despite the protests of the other employees) and that the people responsible for fixing the situation ultimately paid the price for that incompetence.

They got 300/300 though.

>Can't even administer morphine

Attached: 1487884200927.jpg (627x720, 229K)

Only because they contained the fallout. It would be a lifeless wasteland if they didnt.

>solar, wind
Literally memes. And building hydro usually requires evacuating more people from their homes than a nuclear accident.

so how exactly does someone exposed to radiation actually become radioactive themselves? dont really get why the fireman was dangerous, is it because of the radioactive dust and material he consumed while working?

Killing innocents is immoral.

I think they are a necessary evil, because of climate change, but they have to have strict oversight. There's no room for incompetence and fuckups. Multiple layers of accountability and protections for whistleblowers. Plus we have to have long term storage sites for spent fuel rods

And they did EVERYTHING right

uhh, you don't get to bring fans

Attached: 1558469481730.jpg (1158x1954, 916K)

oops, posted gore. go ahead and report me, friend.

Attached: 1536051610071.png (575x508, 486K)

Lmao, how slow are you? Gore is gore, real or not.

>dont really get why the fireman was dangerous, is it because of the radioactive dust and material he consumed while working?
Mainly.

thats how women look with no makeup

No not tomorrow, things take time and money to get going.
Ignoring nuclear power just means you're gonna let coal plants run for longer and messing up the climate even more.

ok, thoughts on these songs for episode 1?

youtube.com/watch?v=sonLd-32ns4

youtube.com/watch?v=2ANI6oj8p2M

Attached: 1538428952773.png (657x527, 351K)

I got 7.5g of lead to be administered PO stat.

Different isotopes have different half-life times. Some decay in microseconds, some take days to decay, some take thousands of years. Caesium-137 takes about 30 years to half-decay, so it's the most dangerous and contaminating.

Burning coal and other fossile fuels causes oceans acidification as the CO2 dissolves into the water. Huge parts of the ocean is effectively becoming dead zones because the acidity is killing off animals that are vital to the ecosystem.

>is it because of the radioactive dust
Bingo. It was ostensibly coating part of his outer body too.

speaking of which whats the next step after nuclear powerplants ? what will be producing more energy ?

TELL ME ABOUT MINERS, WHY DON'T THEY WEAR THE MASK?! LOTTA LOYALTY FOR THE PROLETARIAT!

How are solar and wind memes? Are you a big coal shill? Fuck off.

Imagine radiation to be bullets. These bullets were cutting through anything, including the firemen. As they were working, they were absorbing the power of the bullets, it is radioactivity. After they have gained enough they were contaminated/radioactive themselves, and thus considered as a threat.

how else would people know what image I was talking about? I posted it earlier today for the first time.
This too. The sheer absurdity of their claims.
Yeah, normally I don't feel too bad about being edgy but that is literally one of the worst ways, if not the worst way that a human can die in. I felt kind of bad about making a joke out of it.

still haven't been banned for postinghmmmmmmmmmm

Attached: 1528280182724.png (960x960, 1.1M)

Skeeter Davis, what a singer.

Prison School

*ahem* FUCK the KGB

Attached: .png (815x758, 418K)

>Comrade Scherbina, my arch-nemesis

>coal pits turn into beautiful lakes
>the exclusion zone has lots of wildlife now because no one goes there anymore

We're really doing those schmucks from the future a favour desu

Did the mary sue character get any better in this ep or nah?

And how fucking long do you think it takes to set up a nuke plant, genius? It takes a decade at least.

He'll be back. He's in charge of the liquidators who will go on the roof

Attached: Ironborn saving Chernobyl.png (1920x1080, 3.06M)

Theoretically, nuclear *fusion* reactors would be more efficient, but so far getting one to work has been impossible.

She is

Attached: 1547617875571.png (646x948, 486K)

JUST FUCKING TELL ME WHERE TO WATCH THE THIRD EPISODE FOR FUCKS SAKES

>Fukushima Mini serie when ?

wouldnt be as interresting desu

No it hasn’t. It’s a cheap and almost endless sauce of fuel. We just need to take EVERY single precaution.

Fusion

Doesn't matter, I didn't make such an insane claim.

Piratebay proxy list.

The trailer for the show cut up the dialogue so that Legasov says that uranium atoms are the bullets, instead of the alpha and beta particles and gamma rays.

That's like calling a AK47 a bullet.

Who /finding_it_hard_to_watch/ here? I love nuclear kino but I've been thinking about those poor guys at the hospital all day now.

To be fair, there's also rules for "trolling and racism outside of Yea Forums" so...

Attached: laughinginFrench.jpg (600x478, 57K)

She was barely in it

holy Photoshop

you replying to the right user?

zoomers please go

Sauce?

Nothing will ever produce more power than nuclear but people won't accept it unless you can somehow make reactors which are extremely safe and don't produce as much waste.
Thorium reactors seem like a promising short-term solution but what everyone is hoping for is fusion (which is only 30 years away by the way).

>requires evacuating more people from their homes than a nuclear accident.
and can completely wreck the eco-system

You mean like you're doing right now?
oops, posted gore again sorry

Attached: 1538320985939.png (736x466, 461K)

Coal releases radiation on a daily basis, plus mercury, lead, and, of course, CO2. Plus the miners all get black lung disease

Sent :)

hbonordic.com

>Nuclear
that test clip was absolute kino, as is the song
youtube.com/watch?v=CzRX06Xqu80

It is a hard watch, but honestly I'm more humbled by the sacrifices made in order to contain Chernobyl.

I thought there was a lot more than five episodes for this
how are they gonna showcase all the workers that are ~40 but have the bodies of 80 year olds from the radiation

Attached: 1490755832242.jpg (850x637, 82K)

Will you be accountable for this thread?

Even the dogs at chernobyl know this.

Attached: saruman010612a.jpg (381x571, 61K)

She warps around and infiltrates a hospital but she finally gets KGB'd so its tolerable.

Only if you go maximum China-tier retard with it.

>what determines to shit neutrons constantly?

As the result of nuclear reactions, the isotopes of chemical elements are produced that normally don't exist in nature. Their atoms have more neutrons than needed to be stable, so they are "overloaded" and want to shed extra neutrons. Such isotopes produced from Uranium-235 include Iodine-131 and Caesium-137.

That's not gore, dumbass.

God i love being french.

I'll be seeing you in 30 years then, pal.

The torrents are throttled to shit mate.
Come on now.
Thanks friend :)

>they were absorbing the power of the bullets
Yes, but not the radioactivity. You can't have a noticeable amount of your atoms replaced by unstable atoms without dropping dead; you're only dangerous if you get chemicals on or in yourself. When your cells absorb the power of gamma photons, they don't become radioactive; they just break apart.

Attached: ef2.jpg (837x605, 55K)

HOW AN THE ROBOTS DIE`?++

make up your mind already. TV gore isn't gore.

>I told you not to drink the feed water.

imdb.com/title/tt4082596/plotsummary?ref_=tt_stry_pl

Didn't they show that Chernobyl was a cover-up for the Woodpecker?

The series is building up to a twist that it was Sherbinka that commanded the test, right?

Based france.

top kek

Holy kek

No you idiot.

These threads are going too fast!! PUT THE CONTROL RODS IN NOW!!!

Attached: control-room-chernobyl-hbo-true-story-cast.jpg (1440x810, 112K)

strawpoll.me/18031840

PLEASE RESPOND

>that scene with the three guys going into the water below the reactor

its rare where a serie make me terrified like the peoples in the scene must be

Attached: 1515650124801.png (421x500, 151K)

Why would anyone imagine such a thing? Why would anyone imagine trapping a cute twink in the back of the tunnel?

CPM getting shit done.

Attached: CPM.png (1920x1080, 2.96M)

Radiations fuck ups electronics

>Solar, wind
Will be important, but they are variable power supplies. If the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine, the power output can decrease 50-70%. You can't base a grid on that

>Hydro
Is super important because it's baseload (it doesn't change day to day), but all of the good hydro sites in Western Europe and America have already been tapped out and added . The amount of electricity we need to produce is always growing

tom savini sure came a long way

>but what everyone is hoping for is fusion (which is only 30 years away by the way).
heh, reminds me in like 2012 on an energy course they said they were gonna have a fusion test plant run for 6 months in 2017, not sure what happened with that

science

Dirty manufacturing process, produces little power, requires huge batteries that are also dirty to produce because power output is inconsistent, can only be built in specific areas, impacts wildlife, require constant maintenance, susceptible to climate change, etc. Solar and wind are huge memes and you are a retard for buying into them. Why do you think wind and solar are pushed so hard while nuclear keeps getting ignored? Because they aren't real threats to big oil or coal.

Yeah, I have more knowledge of them.
Also, nuclear power is the only way for the future without coal.

real brainlet hours

Based General wanted to piss off the Americans and gave us somewhat clean energy autonomy.

Attached: generalcentrale.jpg (679x351, 120K)

WHO WAS IT
WHO PUSHED THE BUTTON

Attached: 1530618476956.jpg (900x900, 100K)

>If the wind doesn't blow
you do know that most wind farms are offshore for that exact reason right

Honk-honk

*clicking intensifies*

Attached: HD checkem.png (1920x1080, 2.43M)

Yes, exactly. I just used a mental shortcut, thank you for clarifying my post.

He's such a fucking based character, I love the shit out of him.

probably gonna have a timeskip at end of episode 5 to show all the damage its done over and how the place looks nowadays

THE LID IS OFF, THE STACK IS BURNING I SAW IT.

Attached: 1547969563619.jpg (1280x640, 311K)

Attached: chernobyl cat.gif (300x275, 720K)

Attached: Papa_Smurf_(Numbuh_404)_With_Brown_Beard.png (536x900, 133K)

>If the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine, the power output can decrease 50-70%. You can't base a grid on that
That's why you store surplus for when the sun isnt shining and the wind isnt blowing, genius.

It must be freeing to be in that position; to care and not face the consequences of helping.

Attached: 1543952153286.png (389x493, 35K)

>DYATLOV! THE CORE IS ON FIRE!
>No, comrade, it's just a steam explosion!

Do you guys think we'll get any flashbacks back to the night before the incident? Will we see what happened during the test runs?

Attached: merely feedwater.jpg (910x910, 200K)

Attached: 1531833755183.png (570x586, 288K)

Attached: 1556558377409.png (400x300, 146K)

>Retard doesn't understand anything about batteries

is that the pizzaface who rats out Ditabakov?

Attached: Capture.png (458x423, 184K)

Where the FUCK do I watch this?

Attached: 1557347266583.jpg (399x384, 19K)

based

Yep, in the last episode.

>the core didn't explode
>it was just a system control tank
>you're going to be completely fine
we made it bros

Attached: 1531991789313.jpg (1280x640, 321K)

>store
Good one.

hulu

You know what I loved about this scene? There was no monster chasing after them, no blood or gore. There was just the invisible killer, not much time and dying lights. I felt a sheer panic when I saw them trying to fix the flashlights. I think this is just what made this scene so terrifying, but also so enjoyable.

Wind and solar:
>big investment
>trash efficiency
>storage technology is utterly trash for this magnitude

Nuclear:
>big investment
>great efficiency
>perfect for working at a steady power output

There are some alternative batteries like pumping water to heights with excess energy and using gravity to have it power turbines but it's the same as hydro: takes up a lot of space and is a bad investment compared to a reactor which is the cleanest and safest solution if you handle the waste properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=jAf6RWvydCQ

every speck of radioactive dust is like a tiny nuclear bomb going off constantly, if one gets in your lungs or absorbed in your tissue from heavy metals its like a miniature sun inside your body slowly melting your organs from within

No, that was the skinny gaunt guy who worked next to Akimov and turned the water pumps with him. This guy collapsed trying to find his comrades in reactor 4.

probably died too

disney channel

gostreams, don't tell anyone I told you that, okay?

Some scary shit this

Looking forward to it. I'd love to see massive explosion inside the reactor core, recreated with modern CG.

The orders came from the very top.

Someone post the full miner scene to gif or something.

Disney+

Consult your local cable provider for a package containing HBO.

I bet it would taste like metal

Attached: 1557937212424.jpg (1650x1552, 737K)

is this peak male condition?

I can't fucking believe that those guys actually melted away like that. The fucking agony.

Attached: 1558058395268.png (531x575, 243K)

strawpoll.me/18031840

help decide episode 1's theme

Not that guy but not everyone has a shore to put that shit just off it. Just like not everyone has the outback like Australia where you could mount solar panels no problem. Solar also doesn't work in the desert since sand fucks them up. Iceland meanwhile says fuck you to all that and uses hydro and geothermal.

How are you this dumb?

I huddled up on the couch next to my dolls and held them close, close as I could.

You get to have a slav qt3.14 waifu for a year, but you have to die from ARS. AND you know she'll get the dick from a big dicked miner after you die.
Deal or not deal?

>Yea Forums chan

Attached: 6E55A9C9-5841-45BF-A49B-FE20C32626C3.jpg (570x587, 24K)

>store surplus
that doesn't work on the scale modern people use electricity.

This episode made me want to watch a series about Russian coal-miners

>ATTENTION
>ATTENTION
>Remain calm
>Make a new thread
>ATTENTION
>ATTENTION

>There are some alternative batteries like pumping water to heights with excess energy and using gravity to have it power turbines
I remember reading about how Switzerland's grid is based on this scheme, but what is doing the pumping is a nuke reactor

>steps out of stairwell
Who is going to hear, comrade?

FUN FACT: Nobody has ever died from the commercial operation of western nuclear reactors

>when you find out the dosimeter only goes to 3.6 Roentgen

Attached: what the fucks is this.png (1920x1080, 1.53M)

moar

They have multiple problems.
>They are really fucking expensive and need to be replaced completely every 20 years
>They take up an enormous amount of space
>You can't build them everywhere
>They are ugly as hell
>They are unreliable
>They can't realistically be the only source of power

They are also a dead end when it comes to scalability. I do think they are a nice temporary solution. Energy consumption will rise and progress always demands more energy. So we should definitely not pretend like all we need are fucking windmills and solar panels in the future.

his muscles were dried up or he skipped the leg day?

kill yourself, dumb retard

>strawpoll.me/18031840
I SUBMIT:
youtu.be/frAEmhqdLFs
youtu.be/mrojrDCI02k

Batteries add tremendously to the cost of a system. People who invest in power plants aren't doing it gratis. They want a return on investment.

People who build power plants sell it to the grid, and the cheapest sources make the most profit. Right now, coal is about $60/megawatt-hour in the US. Natural gas is $55/mwh. Hydro is about $70. Solar, without batteries is between $70 and $80 per megawatt-hour (i.e becoming economical, especially with grants and feed-in tariffs), but it is variable

Building battery storage would add about $100/mwh to the price of solar. It will definitely be important, and we should invest to lower the price, but that's 10-20 years away, unless we do some 60s NASA space program level investment (which we should)

>crying intesifies

Deal with it you whiny faggot, pussies like you are why gore gets posted. You need to be forced to experience reality.

but you DONT want to breathe in the air

so for example if a firefighter comes into the hospital and his arm is covered in a mix of skin oils, grease, mud, ashe, and reactor particulate and you touch them the radioactive lead strontium cobalt laced particulate can absorb transdermally into your bloodstream, ashe and dust into your lungs, dirt in your mouth and into your organs and it never comes out ever and even when you die the worms that eat you will get radiation poisoning and die spreading it into the plants and animals up the foodchain

Not blaming you user, it's completely understandable to seek comfort

Attached: Ptbw9yH.jpg (522x522, 113K)

kys newfriend tourist

He is 25 years old and the chief engineer of a nuclear plant. I'm 26 and a neet. I would take the ARS death any day.

>They are also a dead end when it comes to scalability.
There is so much coastline that we aren't using for hydro or wind farms that it's not even funny. Not to mention that you can litter farmland fields with the things and nobody gives a shit. Theres an country town near where I live that has this setup and it works great.

My dad works in solar energy and even he says it can't fully replace coal/oil/gas. It's part of the solution but short of making the entire Sahara a solar plant it's not gonna solve the problem by itself

Isn't thorium safer and the waste has a lesser half-life?

arenabg my кoмpaд

Why do you have dolls?

He looks like one of the Monty Python guys.

>safer
Depends on the type of reactor. Molten salt reactors have some cool auto-regulation properties and can't melt down. And yeah the waste has a ~500 years half-life IIRC. You can even use them to burn existing waste from conventional uranium reactors.

Eric Idle?

Attached: images[1].jpg (225x225, 6K)

Yes but the waste having a shorter half life creates its own problems. The shorter the half life the more radioactive something is. Handling and storing the waste becomes a lot trickier.

Or Michel Palin?

Attached: DaTNHadOcCP0SBWUv6R-eMAv1qJ4fjvtOd9z-j47JU4[1].jpg (397x305, 30K)

Forgot to add, long-term nuclear is between $70 and $80/mwh. But the upfront costs for building a new nuke plant are ginormous (upfront capital in the billions and a construction time of decades) so investors tend to build natural gas plants these days (upfront capital in the tens of millions, construction time of a few years, ROI much quicker)

In the event that a LFTR plant loses power and cooling a frozen salt plug at the bottom of the reactor melts and the fuel drains into a storage tank where it can safely cool down. This happens automatically without human intervention.

someone got a webm of the guy eyes changing colors when he looked at the reactor ?

Him

>70 and 80 per mwh for wind and solar
Lmao try $30 and $40, respectively
Also nuclear power is $120 per mwh when you include the startup costs to operate the plant.
climatenexus.org/climate-news-archive/nuclear-energy-us-expensive-source-competing-cheap-gas-renewables/

Theoretically new thorium plants will be much cheaper to build because they don't need 30 failsafe systems, cooling towers, or a giant concrete containment building but nobody wants to put up the money for research and development.

>Inb4 thorium nobody has the slightest clue
>i don't have the slightest clue, therefore no one does
The U.S. had a research reactor running for years.

>...and isn't even less safe than RMBK memes.
>i don't have a fucking clue how it works so it must be unsafe
Liquid fluoride thorium reactors are inherently safe. You have a container that holds the liquid in a way that it chain reacts (i.e. the container has a neutron moderator and holds the liquid in an optimal shape). At the bottom is an actively frozen valve. If the reaction is higher than expected it literally melts open the valve and falls into containers where the liquid will not chain react (no moderator).

Oak Ridge tested the safety of their reactor every time they shut it down because they would simply turn off the cooling for the freeze valve and let the liquid flow into the storage tanks.

None of the three major reactor accidents (TMI, Chernobyl, or Fukushima) would have occurred with a LFTR because the fuel flows out of the reactor vessel long before meltdown temperatures. And as an operator you can't do anything that would put the reactor into a configuration where a rapid excursion or prompt critical event would occur.