Nolan vs villeneuve

Who is the better director?

Attached: christopher-nolan-denis-villeneuve-1472598.jpg (590x350, 47K)

They're both decent middle brow directors executing passion projects not soulless products, with Nolan catering more to the wider mainstream masses.

>with Nolan catering more to the wider mainstream masses.
I would be surprised if Dune doesn't cater to a very wide audience

I am Denis Villeneueve

Zack Snyder

Nolan is a huge colossal fucking hack and doesn't even try and hide it.

Nolan is more honest and his films don't have video game cinematography intended to impress onions addicted plebs

Sofia Coppola

It's a Dune movie. It's gonna suck ass. Dune is not able to be adapted to the screen.

Hi Denis !

Nolan should have stuck to smaller films like Mamento and Imsonia.

Jodorowski could have done it

He would've made a trippy degenerate adaptation all of his own that would've never done justice to the story. He never even read the book.

Denis obviously

Nolan pays really close attention to editing and structures the whole damn story around it. better than anyone I've seen so far. especially with Dunkirk - not only do we never lose track of the multiple plotlines, he's able to up the tension with the edits. Nolan isn't just editing the footage he has, he preplans the whole story with the edit in mind.
I think the only thing Nolan's films are missing, is heart.
I don't particularly enjoy Villeneuve's films, they are pretentious to me.

Nolan reinvents cinema
Villeneuve tries to copy and fails miserably.

>close attention to editing
yea his action scenes are nothing short of perfection

Both suck, but at least Nolan's big budget films aren't nearly as boring.

>Nolan pays really close attention to editing
Maybe in the grand scheme of a film. Scenes individually could really use some work. Maybe if he made multiple takes instead of going with the first thing he shoots

>Dune is not able to be adapted to the screen.
this meme again. Some people said the same about lotr and many complained about the movies but they are still a good adaptation, dune is no different

>trippy degenerate
nothing wrong with that though

Attached: 4L_kBbayJ7m.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

He's right. A huge part of Dune is inner monologue.
A character thinking the proper way to deploy an invisible mind control technique that will help him subtly manipulate someone to further his complex goals is literally unfilmable unless you do like an anime and pause time while a narrator exposition dumps on the viewer.

neither of them

Villeneuve gets more interesting performances out of his actors

It wouldn't have been a good movie.
Dune is a great book, but it has some major problems that would prevent it from being a good movie. Biggest one is that so much of the book is internal monologues - they're great and integral parts of the book. But to do that on the screen you'd need to do near constant voice-over, which is just awful. So you either have shitty voice-over every other line of dialogue with over the top voicing over actor's faces, or you don't include it and miss out on a lot of essentials for the story. It doesn't lend itself to being adapted, at all. Movie's gonna be a lame flop.
But, oddly enough, animation could work well for Dune.

I'd gladly take any film of theirs instead of the corporate neverending manchild capeshit product trash we get today.

Hopefully both Nolan and Villeneuve manage to make the last blow to capeshit/starshit in 2020 with their films

>A character thinking the proper way to deploy an invisible mind control technique that will help him subtly manipulate someone to further his complex goals
that's pretty feasible, inner monologue never stopped filmmakers from making good adaptations. It's not like Ulysses or In search of lost time

How is this even a contest? Memento alone shits on Denis' filmography even if you dislike Nolan. Just compare how the hack handled the same concept in Enemy.

Both are mediocre directors worshiped by zoomers who know nothing about true cinema.

This man gets it.

Villeneuve is the redpilled one

Attached: pol unleashed.webm (1200x510, 2.99M)

there's a lot wrong with that. jodorowski is dimwitted faggot.