Which decade has the best films and why is the 40's?

Which decade has the best films and why is the 40's?

Attached: mydadpointedoutillbe30soonanditsfreakingmeout.jpg (1000x605, 108K)

Men acted like men and women were treated like women.

70s, without a doubt

2010s

30s*

2020s

Cinema renaissance is upon us

How could Cary Grant be so masculine yet so silly at the same time?

how to alphagoof?

>t. top 10 includes Black Panther, Get Out and Moonlight

this

>why is the 40's?
Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger.

the 90s...

Attached: RT_Essential90s_731X200.jpg (731x200, 56K)

>worse decade has best cinema
No.

I like the 40's, too, but it was the worst decade for horror. I can't think of any great ones. Maybe 3 only. Kinda weird given how big it was in the 30's.

Which film lovers are the most delusional and why is it oldheads?

>40's
Best decade for Hollywood, but not in a global view. I would say eihter 70's or 80's

60's and 70's are culturally the best. best music, best cinema, etc.

40's aren't my favorite, but I don't get why you think this. There are so many classics from that decade that I can understand why someone would like it best. 50'sfags are most delusional.

They're objectively not THE best given that they were among Hollywood's low points studiowise

Imagine not being able to enjoy old cinema. What a sad existence.

I do enjoy old cinema. My point was that I think it's foolish to claim that the 40's are the best. I enjoy some films from that decade.

60s for european kino
80s for flicks

>t. washed up hippie boomer
60s were the beginning of American cultural decline.

>it's foolish to claim that the 40's are the best
Why?

WRONG it was the 1930s.
>early Marx bros
>screwball comedies
>god-tier Technicolorkinos (Robin Hood, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind)

too racist s.m.h.

I could try and tell you to not get mad at my take that's completely subjective but something tells me it won't help. The way I see it, films and the way that they're made just got better as time went on. Simple as that.

Attached: oh_wait_youre_serious.jpg (479x361, 55K)

Yeah, the rampant increase in milked franchises, nihilistic leftist propaganda, and boring hipster indies written by idiots who've never read a storytelling book in their lives. So much better.

Well, the way I see it films and the way that they're made just got worse, but i don't think it's necessarily foolish to think otherwise

1939 was the single best year for hollywood. fite me.

This, You had the pre-code era followed by early golden age, and the late 30s were the peak of Hollywood. So many great actors working, Gable, Powell, Grant, Hepburn, Garbo, Astaire, Crawford, etc. Even the mediocre or "bad" movies from that decade are interesting to watch.

Attached: nothing_sacred.jpg (377x595, 99K)

I think the early 2000s (2000-2005ish) is an unrecognized golden age for movies. So many all time greats came from this period. Favourite decade though would probably be the 80s. Coziest decade ever.

>nothing sacred
mein absoluter neger

40-60s is pretty fucking based because it's all about telling a good story and not shoving in black people just for the sake of it. Late 60s movies started doing this alot.

50s or the 80s. 40s would be close to the bottom.

>worst decades are best
lmaoing@u

objectively:

70's > 80's > 40's > 50's > 30's > 60's > 90's > 2000's > 20's > 2010's > 1910's >1900's > 1890's

Took a while for them to recover from the introduction of sound. 20s movie were so technically advanced and sophisticated. Not to mention bigger, the industry had to wait until the 50s to make big budget movies and they were never better afterwards.

>early silents that low
Shit take. That was an era of peak innovation.

>the industry had to wait until the 50s to make big budget movies and they were never better afterwards.
lmao what
look at all the epic technicolor kinos of the late 1930s

This. Some even regret that sound was invented so early because otherwise the technique and artistry would've been far more advanced. I don't mind I like Universal movies of the 30s and I think 40s already looked great (Beauty and the Beast, White Heat and others tough probably due to war this decade wasn't as great as it could've been).

The invention of sound did not imply that silent movies were taking appart (just take a look at plenty of avant-garde directors which continued working on that direction: Brakhage, Dorsky, Hutton...)

The seventies is the most overrated basic bitch decade, the one every half-baked "cinephile" claims is the best

>god-tier
yikes

get out secular scum

This is a very tired opinion. Let me guess, you also think the beatles were a great band and that got is just so epic?

Alternative best years:
1954 (might as well pick any year from the 50s), 1986, 1989 or 1995.

Alright, then give me a better decade buddy:

- Amor de Perdição (Manoel de Oliveira)
- Kummatty (Govindan Aravindan)
- Du côté d'Orouët (Jacques Rozier)
- Trás-os-Montes (António Reis, Margarida Cordeiro)
- Corps à coeur (Paul Vecchiali)
- Othon (Danièle Huillet, Jean-Marie Straub)
- Trafic (Jacques Tati)
- The New Centurions (Richard Fleischer)
- Der Tod der Maria Malibran (Werner Schroeter)
- Veredas (João César Monteiro)
- Son nom de Venise dans Calcutta désert (Marguerite Duras)
- Opening Night (John Cassavetes)
- El espíritu de la colmena (Víctor Erice)
- Salomé (Teo Hernández)
- Duvidha (Mani Kaul)
- Noroît (Jacques Rivette)
- Effi Briest (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
- La gueule ouverte (Maurice Pialat)
- Le Genou de Claire (Éric Rohmer)
- Umbracle (Pere Portabella)
- Salomè (Carmelo Bene)

There's a world outside Hollywood

yes, which is why the 1930s were better for having Hollywood make stuff like Gone With The Wind and simultaneously have foreigners make stuff like Rules of the Game

Garbo is overrated. Much better as a silent actress. Also you mention Crawford but not Bette Davis for some reason. Explain yourself.
>>early Marx bros
Shit.
>>screwball comedies
Cringe af.
>>god-tier Technicolorkinos (Robin Hood, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind)
What makes The Wizard of Oz '' god-tier''? It's comfy but so are most of my harem shows.

>>>screwball comedies
>Cringe af.
nu-male can't handle marriage confrontation, i see

These are your favorite movies, because I doubt a list with two Salomè adaptions could be representative of a decade
You have masterpieces of american and foreign cinema in every decade
I don't understand why anyone would think that cinema peaked in the 30/40s, to me it's just as absurd as people that think that cinema peaked during the silent era

But if we say that it peaked between 80s and 90s it's gonna feel so recent.

60's are only worthy competitor:
2001, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More, Pink Panther, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago

>I don't understand why anyone would think that cinema peaked in the 30/40s, to me it's just as absurd as people that think that cinema peaked during the silent era
Because those statements are objectively true if you know your history

Ben-Hur is 1959 and also a good argument for favoring the 50s.

Hey I saw this shit but cant remember the name

Post war cinema. Europe and Japan reign supreme.

But why? Just because it's called the golden age?
Think of filmaking, what are most impressive shot films of all the time? How many of them are from the 40s?
Compare how films from 40s and let's say 60s tackle the same themes

>impressive shots
Materialist cancer.

It's about the way you communicate ideas with images. Silent films were extremely advanced at that, but sound forced filmmakers to re-learn everything and accomodate for having to factor sound in the editing process as well.

40s were the lean years for movies for obvious reasons but at least cinematography was beautiful again. Or 40s movies are just easier to remaster I don't know but it was like a bridge between 30s raw technique and 50s excess.

I'm reading archives of a 30s film magazine. It's fascinating to read about the heated debate about sound (and already mentioning television but only as a thing of the future). Actors feared the almighty microphone probably because it ruined many careers (John Gillbert, Pola Negri) and of course because in the first years the use of sound was limiting the directors because they had to hide the sound equipment close to the actors' mouths.
On a slightly unrelated note it's hilarious to read gossip columns about Ramon Novarro (maybe most popular actor) wondering when he's finally gonna get married.

bump