Do you watch their films subbed or dubbed?

Do you watch their films subbed or dubbed?

Attached: ghibli.jpg (6000x4800, 2.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L_dLAw5AN7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The only good anime was dubbed

If I wanted to read, I'd get a book.

Dubbed because it's better

I dont watch glorified disney films for weeaboos.

Original language for live action no matter what
For animation, it's a case-by-case basis decided on different things (do I like the VAs, is the dub better than the original somehow?, does the dub change anything important to the story etc)

Ok, in the case of Ghibli subbed or dubbed.

Depends. Most of Miyazaki's films have good dubs by Disney, except Laputa (I prefer the earlier English dub that is included on older DVD releases). Some of Takahata's are better subbed than dubbed. Mark Hamill sounds too old as the kid in Laputa. The casting for the Disney dub of Howl's Moving Castle, although it's one of Miyazaki's weakest films, is kino. Christian Bale, Billy Crystal and Emily Mortimer? Fuck yes. Billy Bob Thornton is great in Mononoke, too.

All of this is eclipsed, though, by the fact that the best thing anyone from Ghibli has produced is the manga that Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind is adapted from. If the story of that movie seems thin, it's because in the manga it's only the first quarter, the whole thing is like 2000 pages or something. It's an origin story, the rest of the manga deals with the much grittier and deeper story of her trying to live up to the prophecy that's shown in the movie.

Also that opening theme is my favourite piece of Ghibli music, it reminds me of Holst's "Jupiter". Epic in the non-meme sense of the word.

youtube.com/watch?v=L_dLAw5AN7g

I watch foreign movies always subbed since that's what I'm used to

There are no ghibli dubs that are better than the originals that I can think of. Howl's Moving Castle is probably the closest.

I dont watch overrated moving pictures for children

Usually dubbed but Setsuko sounded terrible in grave of the fireflies

Oh I misread
For Ghibli, original language except on Spirited Away because I like the VAs (Lilo and Stitch girl and Susan Egan, mainly)

To me, english dub of anime is absolute ear cancer. Not a single anime has fulfilled my expectations in this field.

Latin Spanish dub is even worse, causing ear Aíds cancer. The one and only way to watch an anime is being jap dubbed. Anything else is just garbage

>mfw Only Yesterday didn't get a proper western release or even a dub until a couple of years ago because it mentions menstruation once and Americans are retarded mormons

>tfw there will likely never, ever be another hand-drawn animation studio that measures up to Ghibli's best work
I know it happens all the time through history, but it feels very strange to watch an entire medium of art go extinct in real time

Well I've already watch Spirited Away but I'll watch the rest subbed thanks.

only niggers watch anything dubbed

kys immediately

Attached: 96184.gif (304x286, 445K)

Dubbed's gfs cheat on them with Subbeds tbqh

Subbed. I'm so glad my local theater is finally doing Ghiblifest with subs, last year they only had the fuckin dubs

honestly its a case by case basis.

Sub:
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ponyo
From up on Poppy Hill
Wind Rises

Dub:
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Cat Returns
Howl
Arrietty

Same. My local based theater is offering both for like 12 of those movies. It's fuckin tight

I watch them rub a dub dubbed.

Attached: 8415D0BA-8528-4706-AFC0-8410D10A91C2.jpg (360x450, 17K)

I'm not retarded so I watch em subbed

if you're satisfied by subs for that many of them why not just go subs for all of them? Especially when comparing and deciding takes up time and effort? What sort of logic is this?

Why would anyone ever listen to ANY dub, they're always earbleed inducing. Poorly pronounced names, oddly paced sentences, cultural details lost in the effortless transliteration, etc etc
>oh, but I don't want to read words while looking at pictures
bitch, there's rarely a full sentence on screen at a time, you can glance at it and read it just fine, and when characters are talking, they tend not do be doing anything much, anyway

honestly it depends on the voice acting and contextual to the subject matter at hand. ancient japan? yeah i wanna hear the original japanese. Modern day europe? ok lets hear the english.

I'd usually agree with subs being better by default, but Ghibli stuff I've seen had mediocre to unremarkable japanese dubs desu.
Haven't seen any english ones, but I wouldn't be suprised if they are actually better.

*sips*
*cough*
FUCK AMERICA
FUCK ANIME
FUCK NERDS

Attached: 456789.jpg (879x495, 60K)

Yeah, so illogical, like I said, you're treating it like there's no heirarchy in either quality or the order of creation between the two dubs, like they just spontaneously came into existence at the same time and are thus, equivalent... and instead you're basing your decision on a much more arbitrary factor

>you're in a gallery, looking at a painting
>there's a title on the frame: "La Gioconda"
>the fuck is this, what am I looking at? you say out loud
>someone hands you a sheet of paper, it's a shoddy photocopy of the painting, the title on the frame has been changed to a name you understand
>Mona Lisa? Oh I see, this is much better than that one, wow what a beautiful painting it is
heavy handed allegory but you get what I'm saying

Howl's Moving Castle is better than some people seem to think it is imo, it just relies a lot more heavily on major plot points and internal logic being explained by implicit background information rather than plot, whereas most of Miyazaki's other movies are much more straightforwards obvious narratives. It's probably still an artefact of his weird improvised-storyboarding-before-script method but I don't think it's the car crash people seem to think it is. Of course, the book is totally different (although I thought the world designs were very close to what DWJ described in her books).

I can't think of a Ghibli dub that wasn't good personally, they always get it spot on.

Mark didn't play the kid did he? That was the dawsons creek dude iirc

Subbed, I'm not a subhuman animal.

I watch both versions. Subtle differences via translation make the story a little different, which I enjoy for some autistic reason.

based

I don't know, if you watch subs sure sounds like you're the 'sub'human here

Dubbed because films are a visual medium. You shouldn't have to read something at the bottom of the screen during the entire movie.

what do we think of the Russian way of audio subtitles? I think it's kind of retarded.

Honestly, both.

The Ghibli moves got large dub budgets and usually got excellent casts.

Dubs only, I can’t understand j*ps

subbed the English voice actors are annoying as FUCK

Dubbed.
I want to appreciate the animation.

Remember that dubbed versions are controlled by Disney

Damn this sucks.

I don't watch weeb shit, but I like some Asian kinoma. I don't get the choice of dubbed or subbed, I guess it just depends what the torrent is.
I watched one that was dubbed and I think they only had like three people dubbing the voices, so a lot of the time it was a group of people arguing, but they all had the same voice.
Why not they just learn talk English good?

All Ghibli movies are distributed by Disney outside Japan, they are the ones hiring all those actors for the dubbing work for the American release, I tought this was common knowledge.

Also, Weinstein brothers got the rights of Nausicaä's distribution, but did so bad work and censorhip on it that Miyazaki sent them a katana with a warning. They never touch another Ghibli movie again.

If you watch third party dubs you are blatantly disregarding the director's vision. People don't make the same excuse for foreign live action movies, and the only reason people say they would do the same for animation is only because they are "used" to it as they likely grew up with it. Saying you watch dubs for animation only because you want to pay attention to the animation is as if to suggest the work that went into the cinematography and mise en scene of live action productions are somehow lesser. Dubs are always and will always be a transgression.

Anyone who cares the slightest about auteur film would never watch a dub.

>the only reason people say they would do the same
wouldn't*

This. If I wanted to watch Disney trash I would watch the last season of Breaking Bad.

Dubbed. Why would I opt to stare at the bottom portion of the screen the whole time.

You read them out of your per rifferal vision and keep watching the movie stupid

>per rifferal
>stupid
I agree with you, but it's time for you to stop talking, user

Epic troll