Mad Men

I finally finished this series after dodging all but one spoiler (Rachel Menken/Katz's death).
I had watched the first five series while they were airing, or very nearly to it.
I started the first few episodes of Season 6, but college got in the way, and I just never really trusted that it would go back to being good after the "made-for-netflix-bingers" debacle that was season 5.

Luckily, I decided recently to get over myself and return to the show after finishing some other series I had similarly put off finishing. Maybe I was saving this for last.

Anyway, season 6 was really pretty great. The scene were Don talks about pretending to love his children towards the end of the season hit like a damn truck, and I don't even have or want kids.
I'm also not sure if there was a better scene than this one in the entire series:
youtube.com/watch?v=aY-HR88uPBU

Season 7 was likewise fantastic, but what a depressing slog that was. I'm not sure if it was just the delay in time for finally getting to the end, but man have I been in a dour mood all day.
I'm glad Roger and Pete finally struck absolute gold though.
I didn't really like or dislike the ending scene, but somehow, it just didn't really feel credible. I just don't think Don can get past his own pathology as the ending suggests he might.

Anyway, hard to really rank the seasons, but I think I'd have to say season 3 or 4 would be my favorites.

Oh and I guess if you've bothered to make it this far, I'd just like to say:
FUCK MEGAN
Thanks, that's all.
Now discuss Mad Men and start accusing me of being a pleb for disliking the shittiest season.

Attached: mad-men-jon-hamm-january-jones-september-2009-vf.jpg (1440x986, 388K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FABcPS_Q2UM
youtu.be/cI6v858LeTU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>just don't think Don can get past his own pathology as the ending suggests he might.

the ending suggests the only the thing he got out of the retreat was the inspiration for the Coke commercial - the one the series ended with. It’s arguably the most famous and profitable commercial in history.

Oh yeah, I made that connection immediately. I guess the part I could have done without was when he smiled.

Damn user why’d you have to make this now? I have to be somewhere in 30 minutes. just finished the series last week but nobody ever wants to talk about Mad Men on here.

Season 4 was my favorite too you're not alone.

Because it's a show I watched with my mom I up through the 5th season. At some point partway through season 6 we has a real bad falling out after I left home and didn't speak for well over a year. I'm abroad now so I can't talk with her. While we've reconciled, there are a buncha feels and I just wanna talk about a show that was and still is really important to me because of the way it makes me feel about a certain period of my life. Same reason I put off finishing some other shows.

Good stuff. Season 4 just felt like the right balance of office intrigue, Don doing Don, family drama, and I guess maybe fun?

How you holdin up bros?

Attached: 1530188250366.jpg (810x483, 216K)

I'm doing alright.
It's been a few years since I've felt this depressed over the mood of a string of tv episodes and it's kinda welcome actually.
Despite season 5, I think Mad Men is comfortably one of the all time greats as far as tv goes.
The attitudes of the cast, the wit, just really the general managing of the ensemble, it all just kinda does it for me.

Attached: MAD-MEN8.gif (640x360, 2.9M)

It goes way downhill after Season 3, nobody wants to see a Chad like Don Draper beg a hooker to slap him on Thanksgiving

NOT GREAT, BOB!

The way this show handled historical events without taking away anything from the made up people within the show itself was unreal.

I enjoyed it a lot. I bet it was a lot of fun for the writer's room.

oldie but goodie

Attached: 1315A486-DF00-4F5C-A932-4E7B8555F487.jpg (640x360, 68K)

Attached: A720A054-0D7E-45C0-8301-88D549BBDB47.gif (500x273, 998K)

Post Petekino.
youtube.com/watch?v=FABcPS_Q2UM

>gay faggot meditation ending

this show sucks and sucked every season and that peggy bitch is such an ugly fucking bug looking bitch what a disgusting experience to look at her ugly fucking face while she is "acting"

I'm very tired and can't apply with anything worthwhile. But great post user I wish you were around for /scdp/ I've been on this board too long and live Mad Men threads were the absolute best.

Cheers.

Thanks user. Yeah, I've missed out on years of good discussion I'm sure, but maybe I can get a little going in this thread.

The show is a LOT funnier than I remember it being. I always thought of Roger as a comic relief character and I know that Bobby and Pete were often unintentionally funny, but looking back on it holy shit there are a lot of jokes throughout the series. I've been rewatching it with my mom and we're up to about halfway through season 6. I really don't care much for Cutler and Ted but Bob Benson is great and there are still some lovely episodes like the one where Don gets a shot of PCP or whatever the fuck the adrenaline cocktail is.

With that said, the show dies with Lane. SCDP was a really nice environment and the drama was excellent. SC&P or whatever they call it at the end feels like it's too divided and I couldn't endear myself to the new blood as much as I could Harry, Pete, Ken, and Kinsey (fuck Kinsey though). I have a lot of gripes with the ending, notably that it gives too many people a happy ending and that Stan x Peggy feels fucking retarded and is a slap in the face to Peggy's entire arc and characterization. Also I really wanted Pete to fire his fucking gun at some point.

Megan is the embodiment of idealism and its inevitable crash course when compromise is neglected.

>Well, all the rave of reasons, I guess. He needed to let off some steam; he needed adventure; he needed to feel handsome again. He needed to feel that he knew something, that all this aging was worth something because he knew things young people didn't know yet. He probably thought it would be like having a few tall drinks and feeling very very good, and then he would go back to his life and say, "that was nice."

>When it went away, he was heartbroken. And then he realized everything he already had was not right either, and that was why it had happened at all, and that his life with his family was some temporary bandage on a permanent wound.

Attached: E219006C-93BC-4034-8531-5BB91C63EFD9.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

yeah, it was way more work than family. they should never leave the office

What a kino scene.

Who was your favorite character? Were they always your favorite? (looking at you Pete's arc) Do you have a favorite pitch/or episode?

Jim Cutler has always been massively underrated. Both here and in any corner of the web that talks about Mad Men.

Was he redpilled?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.43.29 PM.png (1040x690, 1.13M)

*blocks your path*
*steals every scene that he's in*
nothing personnel

>Also I really wanted Pete to fire his fucking gun at some point.

subverted!

He pretty quickly goes back to domming women though, like the neighbor.

Why did you dislike Stan/Peggy? The show built up to it for a long time, so I never thought it came out of nowhere the way some people said. Did you just dislike them together?

I disliked how Ginsberg ended up though they did also build that up ever since he was introduced. I will say I liked that Stan mentioned visiting him after he disappeared.

Attached: 1471398008214.jpg (499x280, 43K)

>despite season 5
What? Signal 30 through maybe Lady Lazarus has got to be the in the conversation for the greatest run of single episodes in television history.

Burt is low key hysterical.
The humor was always one of my favorite things.

I can agree that Lane dying did hurt the environment a lot.
Would you agree with my assessment of the dip in quality of season 5?
Basically it just feels like they could've shortened it to 5 episodes with the little diversion with Don playacting at not being Don.
Like we've already seen that at least twice in the previous seasons. It dragging itself out for 12+ eps. was just a terrible waste of time.
That isn't to say there weren't several points that I enjoyed, but well it was just a real slog to get through, especially coming on the heels of season 4.

As someone that had been watching the show since damn near its inception, it has been really interesting talking with people about the show. A lot of my friends didn't take my advice and watch it in high school when I suggested they do it, and picked up when they went to college the year after season 5 started. Somehow its too decompressed and it just doesn't work imo.

Favorite would probably have to be Roger. Pete is a strong contender though. Sleeper hit would probably be Joan who I liked because I was like 12 when I started the show and lol titcow, but as I grew up, I realized I actually genuinely liked her, and it was fun to see her grow into a truly integral member of the team (and get the recognition for it).

Favorite episode? Gotta be the one where Don goes back to visit Anna for the last time. There are a few other contenders, but that's the crown jewel in my opinion.
Actually, if I'm being honest, Anna Draper is probably my favorite character, but I don't know if she really counts given how little she was present.

Favorite pitch is the Hershey's one. Something about the bit where Don tells them he wouldn't want to see them advertise hit home for me.
Back in high school, I'd take those big ol' 16 oz. bars of Hershey's to lunch and split them with friends and strangers at lunch.

I enjoyed the one or two scenes we got to see of his grandfather. Ginsbergs life was interesting.

While I understand why would someone feel a shock when starting s5, because of the change in mood and style, I'd like to point out, it has "The other woman" and "Signal 30", both of them I consider in the top 5 episodes.
I wouldn't know how to rank all seasons, they all have its own style according to the year, the mental state of Don and the main characters.
Personally I didn't enjoy s6 that much the first time I saw it, because it feels so depresing and we see the downfall of Don, and too many scenes about his past that made feel uncomfortable, then when I saw it all was a build up for the grand finale and the Hershey's speech, I almost clapped.
I'm watching the show for the 3rd time, precisely starting s6, and I've come to value each season in its own. But, there are certain episodes that I always rewatch when I'm eating, and those belong to s3-s5.

I would take it a step further and say that the ending is Don accepting that his emotional, spiritual side is inseparable from his advertising prowess. Even his therapy breakdown is prompted by a sort of consumerist metaphor (condiments in the fridge). There's an obvious irony in him co-opting an "enlightenment" for commercial purposes, but there is an ambiguity in it that implies even this appropriation is genuine to Don, because he's this peerless auteur at creating iconic advertisements.

>I just don't think Don can get past his own pathology as the ending suggests he might
Next step is suicide. His metal breakdowns get crazier in every season.

I thought it was his father? I only remembered it as such because it contradicted his holocaust story, which at first seemed like him being weird but later seemed like something a schizo would come up with.

I don't think Don had that much self awareness though. I thought the subversed expectation at the end was that he was an incredibly static person incapable (or nearly incapable) of real change and growth; compare that to characters who really did change and grow, like Pete or even Roger. Don likely wasn't thinking about his emotions or spirituality in any real deep way at that retreat, it was just an "aha" moment that he had been working for, his typical pattern.

However I do agree with

Attached: 1444360601837.jpg (360x360, 21K)

Just looked it up. Adopted father. I don't know why I got that so wrong.

But was he the "adoptive" father? I feel like Stan was lying or delusional about the story he told.

>are you alone?
bone chilling
also post [spoiler/]DONS

Attached: 1141351D-B136-4448-8663-870D9C4DAE26.jpg (476x530, 35K)

*sorry not Stan, Ginsberg

One thing I've always been curious of, but since I haven't been in the threads, how do you lads feel about 'Boss'? I've sorta believed there would be a lot of overlap between this crowd and Boss fans, but nobody and I mean NOBODY except me posts about Boss on this website, and even then that's only now and then.
Only ran for two seasons, sadly, but it's probably the best tv I've ever watched, not necessarily my favorite, but definitely best.

I am happy to concede that there are fantastic episodes. Because I agree.
And like don't get me completely wrong, the show was still good, but something about the production schedule and the flow of the season just never really clicked.

>because it feels so depresing and we see the downfall of Don, and too many scenes about his past that made feel uncomfortable, then when I saw it all was a build up for the grand finale and the Hershey's speech, I almost clapped.
I didn't really feel so depressed about season 6 as I was going through it.
Season 7 though was really a kick in the nuts from start to finish.
Despite that s7 also I think had the perfect amount of melancholy. It felt most like a lot of the classic Noir literature I read growing up.

I really need to start reading again.

Attached: Boss.jpg (512x273, 64K)

Trying to find that collage of all his whacky faces but my folders are a mess.

Attached: 1444359242054.jpg (377x396, 24K)

FUCK FORGOT LINK
youtu.be/cI6v858LeTU

yw

Attached: A31D6F14-8ED6-4707-BD7C-DEC16D8703D2.jpg (1280x1280, 392K)

OP here.
As far as season 5 and my gripes go, the ending was absolutely bang on.

Attached: Wojak draper.gif (390x300, 1.81M)

I really want have sex, more than I've wanted in years, but instead of actually trying to talk to girls or working out I just keep masturbating

Thanks, enjoy a random reaction image.

Attached: 1444359451246.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

>tfw a4/d1
bros...

Lad, stop masturbating and start lifting. Get a haircut and a job and a car too. Basically in your boat but improving.

Actually I want to add a little more to this.
I think one reason so many people feel so favorably towards season 5 is that final scene.

It in a way paints over the drag that was some of the later episodes, and coupled with what I was saying about streaming--Netflix got a massive boost in subscribers and there was a massive push to make content more favorable to streaming audiences in the lead to 2012 tv season, and don't forget that AMC had been enjoying lots of popularity through Netflix, even via DVD rentals--it sort of makes sense that it would be easy for people to just want to burn through the show until they got to the next thing that really really stood out, like that ending scene.

Roger's acid trip was great, and yes, Lane punching the shit out of Pete was great, but for me, it ultimately still rests as a season with a few peaks of greatness in a sea of mediocrity, especially when considered against the series as a whole.
I don't hate it, it's just the weakest of the seasons and it shows.

How are you suppose to know what kind of haircut to get?

Tell the stylist you are retarded and need her to choose for you. Be honest and tell her you want to be presentable to ladies. If you are a perfect gentleman maybe she will even fuck you.

never heard of Boss, but it looks like a Boss show, tbqh. Will download for free and give it a watch

>Boss
Isn't that the show where two people fuck on the stairwell of a crowded lobby?

sounds Boss

I hope you like the show, but you will not like any of the characters, except for how well they're acted and portrayed.

I don't remember desu. It's been a few years since I rewatched it, but I don't think so. I've started rewatching it since I want to make some webms of a few of the best scenes, but I don't remember the exact episodes they're in.
There's some pretty depraved stuff, but I think I would have remembered that.
Although sex in public is more degeneracy than depravity.

>A cure for the common shitpost

Attached: Ahem.png (1280x720, 699K)

What's some good noir literature to get into it?

Nice.

Is anyone watching Billions btw?

Attached: danny-strong-todd-krakow-dennis-boutsikaris-as-kenneth-malverne-billions-1150x748.jpg (1150x748, 53K)

I gave up after the tranny shit

Anything by Raymond Chandler or Maltese Falcosn of the top of my head

>the ending suggests the only the thing he got out of the retreat was the inspiration for the Coke commercial
No? Look at his phone call with Peggy, or the moment he shares with the guy who felt invisible. He had very real experiences at the retreat but ALSO went on to make the Coke commercial.

Does it get any better after Season 1? Tried watching a few times and it came across as a 1950s soap opera with no intrigue.

Not well but I'm writing exams so I have to abstain from everything but coffee. Feel like I'm at a retreat of sorts myself.

filtered

Kinda boring pick, but The Black Dahlia is really good, and a pretty easy entry point.
I really should not have read it as young as I was, totally warped my view of sex.

If you like that, the rest of Ellroy's L.A. Quartet, just for being 'classic'.
You can read them in any order.
L.A. Confidential > The Black Dahlia > White Jazz >>> The Big Nowhere
Change my mind. I'll wait

This might sound weird and downright HERETICAL, but I've gotten a few people into it by just starting them at season 3, then going back and watching seasons 1 & 2 before season 4. You can't watch season 4 without having seen all the preceding seasons.

You might just be a turbopleb, but I really like trying to help people enjoy things I enjoy, even if it's unconventionally.

>it came across as a 1950s soap opera with no intrigue

Attached: 1558370429810.gif (259x259, 1.75M)

I watched season 1 when I was in high school and didn't hate it but didn't love it either, just found it a little boring and didn't continue. 3 years later I decided to rewatch it from the beginning and I was hooked. Not sure what changed but I'd give it another go if I were you.

Hang in there bro.
It's just a few more days.
Get up and go for a jog and take a cold shower.

>soap opera
>no intrigue
Soaps may be lacking in a lot of categories, but intrigue isn't one of them.
If you wanted to voice your gripe more accurately, you'd say it just feels like a bland 1950s pastiche.

And then you'd still be completely fucking wrong.

>Anna Draper
just fuck me, user.

FUCK ME UP

shitposting is based on one simple idea: happiness. and you know what happiness is? it's the smell of a new (you). it's freedom from mods. it's a banner at the top of the board that screams reassurance that whatever it is you're posting is okay. *you* are okay

Sorry Sal, but I'll leave you with this feel:

>tfw you'll never have a woman in your life like Anna Draper

Attached: 28CDF69D00000578-3085879-Catharsis_Don_broke_down_and_cried_as_he_hugged_another_weeping_-a-114_1431 (634x372, 46K)

imagine being born as jon hamm bros
just imagine the amounts of sweet pussy at your reach
you could literally just spend your entire life fucking 10s on a regular basis, not giving a fuck about anything else in the world
just
imagine

Whoa, he’s just like me. This is kind of scary haha

Some user said he was rude

Joan's arc might be my personal favorite. She has such a drastic change compared to everyone else. Pete was already broken and was just trying to learn how to enjoy life without being a walking shitpost. Don is basically the same as he started and can not change. Peggy's foundation as a person is the same, what's changed about her is her willpower and understanding of the world aka her loss of naivety and then Roger telling "Who told you that?" after saying she "needs to make men feel comfortable" in the finale. Joan went from "if you're lucky, you'll marry one of them and never have to work again" and married a doctor to "fuck men. fuck the way society sees and treats women, the world is fucking mine and fuck you"

He comes off as an asshole like Don.
Guess what women like in their men?

He hazed the fuck out of pledged at UT Austin

I've seen the whole series ~5times. Ana is only in 4 episodes, 3 episodes really because in the 4th she's only mentioned because of her recent death and Don looks at an old photo of them together. But every goddamn time she shows up, JUST

Attached: duraspin.png (482x412, 190K)

Good post.
I really liked how they had her firm at the end named Holloway-Harris. It was a really nice touch.

Why was she so perfect bros ;_;7

Official women-in-Don's life power ranking:
>Anna
>Joan
>Peggy
>Rachel
>Betty
>the rest
>power gap
>some nameless floozy
>Megan

Is this more or less correct?

Attached: ChristmasWaltz.jpg (760x535, 104K)

season 5 was better than 99% of anything that's ever aired on American TV and you whiners still want to cry "it's dogshit!", you guys don't deserve good drama for adults

Attached: Signal_30.jpg (1503x1000, 188K)

I don't think it was dogshit, and saying
>better than 99% of anything that's ever aired on American TV
is setting a laughably low bar.

I want to fuck season 1 Sally

W-wait a minute.

What did Yea Forums think of the ending?
I thought they tried to rush storylines to have something conclusive for every character, made it feel contrived

Not as good as some, better than most.
Not bad, and not great, which feels about as right as it needed to be.

I think I would say it was not a disservice to the show.

Pete is a qt.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.52.54 PM.png (420x630, 435K)

>ywn marry your autistic on-screen squeeze but for real irl
Superlatively based.

Attached: alexis-bledel-wallpapers.jpg (930x523, 183K)

Lane killing himself was fucked up even more fucked up was the firm collecting the insurance which was said by the insurance agent to pete a few episodes back

Did you marathon it?

No, I did not.
I didn't marathon the show while it was airing, and I wanted to keep the same sort of sense while I finished it.
I watched at a rate faster than weekly, but I don't really like bingewatching.
Especially for series that really do lean into the episodic strength of tv. I like having some time between eps to digest before going into the next one.

Well gents, I'll give this thread a sayonara before it dies.

Attached: BN-ID683_avery_G_20150429093922.jpg (553x369, 25K)

God damn it's been so long since I saw a Mad Men thread on Yea Forums
I'm doing a rewatch, just started season 3.
What's your single favourite scene? Mine is probably "and you feel that feeling"

>you're a grimy little pimp
Why the fuck was Lane so based? He had the best lines.
>Very good. Happy Christmas!

What was his fucking problem?

So was it rape? Apparently the actress kinda messed up. If this is true then the character of Pete is vindicated.

You're all a bunch of flag-burning snots!

Who? The blonde?
He was a weeb.

The German au pair

>you guys don't deserve good drama for adults
yes we are nto women sorry

sluts always call rape when it pleases them

Shit I don't remember that.
Leave it to a German to pretend they got raped though amirite.

Attached: Mad Men's Bertram Cooper & Roger Sterling.jpg (400x289, 39K)