How would you go about making a good Lovecraftian horror movie?

How would you go about making a good Lovecraftian horror movie?

Attached: AE5FE2B5-F9B4-4F76-B125-5065331798F6.jpg (1024x990, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6r1_ZoQmqxM
youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c&list=PLY4h-ngRgwWQ9mCkiN05KobziZGMwf8Wl&index=2&t=0s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

write a good Lovecraftian script

You have one every week, it's called I Am Jazz

being very vague and not showing any of the freaky stuff. just maintain a creepy surreal atmosphere.

Make it about the elder things or the Yith since unlike what reddittors think not every Lovecraft monster is shapeless and incomprehensible

lovecraft works best in it's written source material honestly. the imagination is much more lucid than a visual interpretation

i would start by having sex.

>movie

Harder to work with here as you've got an average of 90 minutes. TV show you could really build up the dread.

Though there was this very good foreign film years ago which was basically the "shadow over innismouth" story. Did it excellently and would hold up today.

One where Lovecraft lynches niggers.

Attached: 11b18a00066f507bff51cbe506407955f8edcbef0ac91548cf00f25acda257b0.jpg (587x742, 146K)

I would start by not posting my ideas here so you rats can steal them.

Anthology movie, several direct adaptations of his stories, like at least ten, woven together by spooky host ala Crypt Keeper who turns out to actually be Nyarlathotep. Fill movie with subliminal imagery designed by a mentalist to make images of star-filled nights unsettling to the viewer, end film with Nyarlathotep revealing he's been secretly rewiring your brain to see "beyond" the whole time, slow tilt up to night sky full of stars, end with no credit scroll. Theater audiences in rural areas walk out into night time under stars.

Seriously speaking, he was barely racist by contemporary standards. Stuff he said was super tame and downright progressive considering what was deemed socially acceptable back then, like slaughtering niggers where they stood and hanging the corpses off of tree branches etc.

this is good

This, the protag has gotta sex the eldritch entity in one way or another.

lots of hot gay sex scenes

>my ideas are precious jewels that im saving for the right time to reveal to the world that IM THE TRUE GENIUS
just be honest. you're not doing anything with your shitty ideas and not sharing them is most likely a defense mechanism against everyone telling you you're a retard.

Hire pic related and let him do whatever the fuck he wants, hes a genius

Attached: kinomaker.jpg (194x259, 5K)

take a fuck load of shrooms/DMT and do everything I can to have a bad trip
write down everything I can remember after
or something

>PAINFULLY LOUD FART NOISE RUMBLES THROUGH THE THEATER

>Lovecraft was a racist here's some whaaacky side characters and white people be crazy!

Fuck off with that shit.

AM1200 did it right

also i've encountered multiple faggots on this board that have similar responses
>im not telling hur hur
like what's the point of this? are you hoping people will beg you to share your ideas and that's somehow personally motivating?

Create or adapt a foe so incomprehensibly powerful that the protagonist has zero chance of defeating it, no matter the sacrifice. Beyond that make sure the villain is of such power that the hero is not even worthy of attention. Series finale = hero gets an iota of the villains attention through some greate act and is annhilated for it.

have sex &go back to pol

It would be called "Attack of the Nautical-Looking Negro" and star Idris Elba.

>what if shubbniggurath felt my nigga wrath
fuck off with that meme bullshit. He's a b-list director at best.

Attached: 1535129836280.jpg (200x350, 91K)

First explain to me what makes his horror different? I honestly don’t know and always reqd people say is not possible to put to screen

Like the Mist, but with dream logic thrown in.

>Alien landscape.
>Constant undercurrent of danger for the protagonists.
>Never, ever give a solid explanation for what's happening.
>Total collapse of social order, nobody in charge, nobody to come to the rescue.
>Rules of the universe can and do change at random with no logic or consistency behind it.
>Any death that has to be extremely painful and disgusting.
>Body horror encouraged.
>People get killed or maimed in unpredictable ways, especially when doing something that is normally safe or seems like a smart plan.
>Absolutely no hope of escape, rescue or safety.
>If the apocalypse happens, it's portrayed in a clinical, detached manner, rather than a hugely dramatic event.

Attached: Jacobs-Ladder.png (1280x692, 142K)

Give it a budget of a capeshit and a good director

>white people have a mental illness that makes them see black people as monsters so they are always attacking black people for no reason
>in the end we find out that the black people also have a mental illness that makes them see white people as people instead of the monsters they really are

Theres already a good Lovecraft movie, released not long ago, can't remember the name

Hollywood snake scouts off my board

Wow, really deep and interesting. Couldn't have come up with this one using a twister board.

American directors/comedians who can only communicate with racial references in their comedy are fucking hacks, buoyed up by the sea of retards who consume this garbage.

yo,are you interested in writing/directing some episodes of The Twilight Zone on cbs ? I love your pitch

Attached: images (12).jpg (275x183, 6K)

Here's the recipe:
Read his stories for a few months every day first so that you're naturally thinking about Lovecraftian things, eat 1/2 oz of shrooms while listening to Lovecraft audiobooks and running a red strobe light and fog machine. Take DMT while peaking.

Ok I guess

If you are naturally a good writer/story teller and do what you are describing, I think this would be great

>a guy takes over the job of lighthouse keeper when old keeper vanishes
>bad storm that gets progressively worse as the movie goes on
>guy ends up investigating the man’s disappearance
>Tibetan throat singing throughout

Dagon.

Attached: dagon5.jpg (600x338, 131K)

H.P. Lovecraft was a racist and has no place in the modern art world.

yea, it's a trash basic idea that took 3 seconds to come up with but i bet that peele guy would actually make something like it and everyone would think it was a masterpiece.

Lovecraftian horror is about humans being completely helpless and irrelevant in the face of supremely powerful, ancient evils that typically see humans as akin to insects or microbes, if they notice them at all.
It's heavily steeped in the modernist ideals of the early 20th century where people thought that rapid social and technological progress meant that humans were destined to be demi-gods in the near future and that western civilization was the be all and end all, but were also starting to realize that the universe is a very big place and humans are very small by comparison.

>yo,are you interested in writing/directing some episodes of The Twilight Zone on cbs ? I love your pitch
im just a fry cook. i dont think i'd fit in with you big time hollywood types.

>Turns Nyarlatothep into a nigger because he was described as pitch black
I could see it happening

I think at one time Del Taco was going to do Mountains of Madness, but he backed out when they wouldn't commit as much to the budget as he thought he would need. This was like ten years ago, so now that he has an Oscar maybe they could revisit it.

He's not my first choice , but Pan's Labrynth was outstanding and Devil's Backbone was very good, and I think he would stay loyal to the source material.

sneedcraft

Mountains of madness is basically unfilmable given that the big reveal happens off screen and would feel like a cheesy cop out in visual form.

Bird Box

It wouldn't be nearly as hard as most people meme it as being. Lovecraft's famous stories from his Cthulhu cycle all have pretty standard complicating incident->rising tension->exciting climax->falling action story structure that would transition seamlessly to a movie. The monsters are usually based on Cambrian or Silurian era lifeforms that were being discovered by science at the time Lovecraft wrote, and are also easily translated to film. The horror comes from the implications of the monster existing in the first place, not the monster itself, and that is going to be the hardest part to translate because modern audiences don't really have a worldview that allows them to be particularly horrified by those implications.

Anthology series would be the best imo, something like the Twilight Zone. I don't most think his stories are long or particularly deep enough to warrant a full movie.

OP, Hollywood can't/wont make a good Lovecraft movie because you'd have to focus on mood and atmosphere. ALIEN or The Thing are the closest you get but they couldn't be made today because of their slow burn pacing!!!FACT!!!

The best lovecraftian horrorkino is pic related. No joke.

Attached: Cruisingposter.jpg (259x383, 10K)

He was also married to a Jew!!!FACT!!!

Put Tom Cruise in it. Pretty much a guaranteed success.

The shoggoth is seen, but all the happens is the main characters run away from it and take off in their plane, and hear some disturbing sounds in the distance.

This is a good idea. Get Liam "Cosh" Neesom to star as HP.

Already a Spanish novel that was turned into a book

I haven't seen it and can't remember the name, but it looked alright

Yah but the sequel could be kick ass. The story is that another team goes back afterwards.

I don't think you remember the story properly. They see the shoggoth, but the shoggoth is the mundane, lesser evil that they just run away from. The actual point of the story is the unknown evil that's lurking in the mountain range in the distance and as they're flying away it's implied to be behind them and the mere sight of it is so existentially spooky that it sends you mad from looking at it.
Pretty much impossible to film in a satisfying way.

Adapt Gou Tanabe's At the Mountains of Madness manga 1:1 to the screen, he's already done all the hard work.

Something like "the hound" would be very easy to make a movie of

You could do it, you'd just have to be more suggestive and metaphorical than directors can be now. The main character and his friend could be piloting and sleeping in shifts, and the MC is awakened as the plane loses control because his friend has gone nuts, then he regains contril and barely sees... something.

The real key would be in the performance of the insane friend, not in a creature effect or anything.

MIB movies have this implications, no one cares because they just write it as "just a movie" and care on in their lives. I guess most people will not understand even if Cthulhu himself rises above the sea.

Annihilation is a good Lovecraftian-like movie

>then he regains contril and barely sees... something.
No matter how you play it, not being able to show it will always feel like a cop out. The only way that you could do it is to completely change the ending and have the focus be one some sort of altered reality sequence caused by the entity that the protagonists have to escape from (or don't escape from), but then purists would dunk on it for not following the original plot.
You can't win no matter what, which is why nobody has ever been able to get it off the ground.

MIB's implications are pretty whimsical, which is why they're not scary. The slow zoom or pan out to some horrifying reality about the universe or event that's poised to destroy the character's world is a classic trope across pretty much all media.

>bedtime
>get into bed in a comfortable position
>don't move a muscle, even your eyes
>it will be hard because eventually you'll feel the urge to swallow but don't
>you'll also become very conscious of your breathing but don't breathe manually
>as you lie there perfectly still you will begin to feel itches, this is your body testing if you're asleep
>if you don't react at all then your body will move on to the first stages of sleep
>but you're still conscious so haha body trolled you
>shapes will begin to form in your mind, take note of them but do not attempt to look at them directly
>as your mind tries to make sense of it you'll start to categorise some of the things, which have no parallel, as bizzare beasts
>keep going until you can't take it anymore
>get up and write about the things you saw, use that as the basis of your movie rather than woah so eldritch you can't even describe
>note:your body may be paralysed as you attempt to get up but that's ok, just an evolutionary mechanic to stop you falling out the tree when you were a monkey, you'll come around

It's been done already youtube.com/watch?v=6r1_ZoQmqxM

I mean wouldn't a shapeshifter be able to turn into anyone they wanted to?

It's not like you're turning an established white character black.

Shape shifting into a black man in Lovecraft's years seems counter productive at best

They already made a good tv series user you should check it out

What is the title?

In what way? I don't think an angry mob is really going to be able to do anything to him anyways.

Nyarlatothep is not a "black man" like afro-americans. He has dark skin like egyptians.

>Ku Klux Klan Vs Nyarlatothep.

He infects civilization from within, he works as an unseen force
Getting assaulted by a mob and going god mode for self defense isn't what he's interested in

I'd be all over that shit.

>KKK saves the world

It's Birth of a Nation all over again.

>Tfw no Yibb-Tstll mommy

Attached: Bestiare-27.jpg (1600x1237, 332K)

The second season of True Detective could've been easily turned into one with all the occult stuff from the first season and the finale. Well that or a high budget Bloodborne movie.

Attached: 1527329833059.jpg (402x720, 40K)

Yo bros look at what my Shoggoth caught.

Attached: Tekeli-li.jpg (801x601, 131K)

Just the idea of supernatural KKK members fighting off Lovecraftian horror sounds like an extremely off-the-wall idea that is so fucking stupid it would be funny.
But there is of course no way in hell that get's written unless it's comedy and even then they have to be played up to crazy levels.

Basically Army of Darkness levels.

The best part of lovecraft horror is not seeing the big bad evil, so on film how do you do that and not just get called a Thing knockoff?

Are you going to post more?

Bloodborne doesn't work as a movie

No, you can go read Demonbane and read about zombie clowns raping women with their intestine tentacles on your own.

No, he was racist even for his time. Read other weird horror authors from that era, none of them show the same level of contempt Lovecraft had for other races.

for me, its the lurking fear

Attached: Lovecraft and negroes.png (914x580, 818K)

How you figure?

>The best part of lovecraft horror is not seeing the big bad evil

So like every monster movie with suspense? In fact, you see the thing non-stop during the movie, you just aren't sure who's who but its always there and visible, a lot actually.

Into the mouth of madness did a good job with its setting and atmosphere and the ending nails it.

By making a Robert W. Chambers movie instead.

>How you figure?

Important parts of the story and info about the world is made available by item descriptions.
The world has few sane humans left and is about the lonely quest of the good hunter.

How would a movie do those expositions?

WHO

Give the hunter internal monologue when he picks something up.

Call it Stranger Things

Like the movie "Priest", but with Noir monologues

Allow me to feel superior to you.

Attached: The_King_in_Yellow.jpg (535x400, 226K)

>spend decades paying your dues to your Hollywood yiddish overlords and masters
>finally make it
>proceed to fuck up Twilight Zone

I don't get it

you in carcosa now

So is this a good book?

Yeah, it's great. In the Court of the Dragon is a personal favorite.

Wasn't he going to produce a movie about Lovecraft mythos with northern blacks heading down south?

This is actually a pretty good idea.

Anyone else read Edward Lee's Lovecraft books? Probably unfilmable, but I thought the same thing about Header and that got made.

Attached: 363795a971a86d2ddae602e596c9d18a6f157963-thumb.jpg (136x200, 14K)

This type of horror isn't about jump scares and giant konzters. It is about going man. Elder gods and ancient ones like Cthulhu and others aren't King Kong monsters smashing buldings. They send waves of madnezs ahead of them. They have cults of crazed devotees. You need to focus on the psychological horror and show the toll it takes on people.

Attached: jacobs-ladder-bathtub.jpg (600x330, 20K)

Hastur.

Attached: _ZaqUEAEHU3Z.jpg (1000x753, 81K)

Lovecraftian, not Lynchian

with an ancient one? sign me up

kaiju fight

Attached: The Challenger to Great Old Ones v01 image00244.jpg (1100x1600, 420K)

Attached: Sutter-Cane.png (859x568, 472K)

Attached: The Void poster 3.jpg (800x1185, 182K)

The way I see it, you could show the monster but it would have to be done right. I would show the monster with teeth, tentacles, etc but there would be more, the whole backdrop should be twisted and pulsating. Like the sky and ground, everything around the monster would seem warped to the point that youre not sure what you are looking at. It's difficult to describe but just imagine surrealistic paintings. You can show something as long as the nature and spectacle of it almost raises more questions than it answers.

Attached: The Void poster 2.jpg (800x1185, 172K)

Attached: The Void poster 1.jpg (800x1185, 250K)

Attached: The Void triangle symbol.jpg (800x442, 99K)

I might go so far as to call these posters kino, what's the movie like?

Attached: H. P. Lovecraft Manga by Tanabe Gou.jpg (244x350, 125K)

Joke's on you I already mentioned Tanabe!

No masterpiece but definitely a bit comfy, a bit successful and lots of practical effects. Worth seeing.

It would be a very hard horror to do well if you're including the kinds of shit that inhabit that universe.

Lovecraft's mythos has shambling monsters, yes. But it also has extremely powerful, and perhaps very disinterested elder gods whose gaze we are so far beneath we're practically sub atomic to them and we just get caught in the way whenever they do shit.

I remember seeing the old game tables on the CoT game about characters going mad and the madder they were, the more they understood but the obvious consequence is they are...well...mad.

By the time they might have a somewhat decent level of awareness of the universe, they're headed for an asylum.

Something something THIS SUMMER something something fart noises

BRRRAAAAPP

Attached: cthulhu_detail_2[1].jpg (1302x931, 1.02M)

Low budget in areas, but probably the closest thing to real lovecraftian horror in mainstream film.

Attached: void1.jpg (1280x530, 74K)

>When, long ago, the gods created Earth
InJove'sfair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympianhost conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

Attached: f57.jpg (640x640, 79K)

Based HPL.

Attached: filmski hitovi - sutter cane.jpg (232x300, 19K)

Films rarely capture the 'lovecraftian' well because they show too much, and focus too much on the superficial cliches rather than trying to get the feeling and psychological dimensions to Lovecraft's stories.

I think a better approach is to look for 'Weird Fiction' in film... those uncanny hortor / scifi movies that deal with a strange reality and the feelings /atmospheres in its encounters.

I tried to compile a Weird Fiction movie list here:

letterboxd.com/flowww/list/weird-fiction/

Don't
Lovecraft's monsters are usually based around the fact that they are too horrible for our mind to comprehend, so there is no physical way to show them. It just doesn't work.

How so?

This user has the right idea. Picnic at Hanging Rock and Under the Skin are more Lovecraftian than some shitty Cthuhlu adaptation.

Decent concept let down by the filming.
I lost my shit when like 2 doberman puppies run out from behind the church and the entire village flees.

Loved the ending though.

>Cthulhu imprisoned in the ocean
>god of water
I hate Lovecraft fan fiction so much.

I'd just make a movie about Shub-Niggurath and have white people say her name every 5 seconds. Or I'd take the beginning of Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth and adapt that. The investigative elements, fear of the unknown and slow descent into madness were great, the fps shit wasn't

>looks at fish once
>goes mad

what did hp overratedcraft mean by this?

While true, the ending shot of the creature also kind of ruined it.

smoke and mirrors
the viewer can't be allowed to truly see, hear or experience the horror; because the viewer is not intended to be able to comprehend it

This guy gets it

DUDE COLORS THAT CAN'T BE DESCRIBED
DON'T LOOK YOU'LL GO MAD LMAO

none of you can have her--she's mine

well yeah, except instead of showing the audience that, just having a character see something we can't, and then another character attempting to interract with them but they have gone blank.
heck, could fuckin end the film by having a character realise the audience is one such lovecraftian horror

>main character didn't want to fuck that
what a massive undeniable homo

what the fuck is wrong with her eyes though? She looks like this in most photos

Attached: 15357287175755.jpg (660x450, 33K)

The outbreak of a disease and the efforts to contain it, advertise it as zombie schlock. The outbreak occurs in a poor remote town, maybe third world, and those who contract it get covered in oozing boils. They start with fever and pimples which grow until the pain becomes unbearable, they fall unconscious and some die. Highly infectious, full military quarantine area. Soldiers look for other patients and survivors to pick up, and the infected largely avoid them unless directly approached, at which point they become hostile; they mainly haunt the town itself. One soldier hears children thanking someone for healing them despite clearly being infected. The disease can't be linked or matched to anything known, and changes the body and brain in a way never before seen. Search teams start coming across abandoned camps filled with idols, symbols, and corpses on ritualistic altars. An unconscious patient wakes up, and tells the main doctor of how grateful he is to have been cleansed, how pure everything looks now, how the truth sets you free, how he is coming and there's nothing we can do but embrace him, in between gibberish tongues. The infected outside the quarantine begin attacking the search teams, led by those who no longer are covered in boils but patterned scars, referred to as the cleansed. Others start waking up. "You must join us, doctor. Let him purge your impurities. There is so much more to learn." An infected disguised as a soldier gets in and breaks containment, at which point the infected outside launch an attack. Doctor and soldier escape to the town, now covered in symbols and idols made of flesh, blood, and carcasses. Infected return, they escape into covered basement and find a luminescent, pulsing rock. A tapestry of blood and shit on the wall depicts it to be some tiny piece of a misshapen mass which eclipses the sun, and they stare at the tapestry and the shedding with increased wonder as pimples break out on their skin.

No tentacles or weird organisms. Everything starts normally but slowly more and more weird things are happening. People who are affected are never the same again. News reports starts getting weird. All of this is happening and the characters aren't even sure what they're up against or if they can stop it.

a lot of people seem to forget that not only he was racist towards niggers, he was also anglophile, he thought that anglos were superior to other whites
meaning if youre slav or med you were barely above a nigger for lovecraft

Could he get any more based?

greeks and italians were writing philosophy while anglos were eating their own shit

I have found a playlist of cosmic horror short films, something in there might be kino

youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c&list=PLY4h-ngRgwWQ9mCkiN05KobziZGMwf8Wl&index=2&t=0s

most meds are mixed shits with mud people from the east

Consensual tentacle rape.
Ending twist: it wasn't consensual

now we just need a way to scam normies into seeing it

Based.

I would adapt shadow out of time

I hope they never get to adapt Lovecraft's works in the current times, to be honest, they just would butcher the material