Alec Guiness

>one of the best Shakespearean actors
>probably the best Oscar winning performance ever performed
>was annoyed and hassled to the end of his life by virgin nerd neckbeards and will be remembered forever for some shitty role in some shitty space movie

I don't think the millions of dollars he took as a cut for being in Star Wars was even ever a consolation, bros :(

Attached: alecguinness.jpg (225x314, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yfEw5H_LSoQ
specialoperations.com/31384/the-green-beret-affair-project-gamma-a-massive-snafu-for-the-army/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>jap engineers bad
>bong engineers good
Cringe.

I saw the bridge of the rier kawai yday.
I didnt get it.
what did alec guisness mean with his final line "what have I done?" and running around dropping on the bomb?
was it madness?
please xplain

he was arrested for committing a lewd act in a public lavatory

Essential Yea Forums Viewing: youtube.com/watch?v=yfEw5H_LSoQ

fpbp

YEAH WELL I SAW IT OVER 1000 TIMES

Attached: 1530446594320.png (644x740, 11K)

That kid? Albert Einstein.

He was also gay.

fufk you your mother is gay and your dog is dead

He just built a bridge to aid the enemy and attacked his allies to defend it.
Were you asleep for most of the film?

Retard

Based.

This is established fact. He was a homosexual.

but he knew that all along. The british prisoner told him this and asked why and the answer he gave them was that after the war ended the bridge would be of use by the people. It would last longer than the war, and any evil that used it during the war would be outweighted by the good use after it.

It just felt stupid that he on a whim questioned what he had done for months. How can you become a captain of an army and be so resolute, have such positive moral and philosophy and then just turn around on it by utter madness at the end.

Was it a good ending? Is this something brits was meant to cheer for? Kinda dumb film.

Am I the only one thinking that Alec Guiness acted better in Star Wars than in this film? I mean, he totally overacted the oven-torture and he spoke with such thicc british accent that you cun't nearly understood him.
In Star Wars his grandpa style fitted the characted and added a mysterious veil to it.

I havent seen kwai in a while, but his exchanges with the Japanese commander are 10/10 acting. The climax is obviously overdramatic.

why makes it 10/10 acting?
I am a sperg and its really hard for me to tell 10/10 actings.
Is it facials? expressions? deliveries of lines? pronoucnination? ad-libs? body language?
Imo Alec overacted. I much like the jappieboy than Alec

Also...

he was delusional due to all that goes along with being a prisoner of the friggin Japanese during WW2.
>It just felt stupid that he on a whim questioned what he had done for months
There was an active battle going on, he just saw someone return he thought was dead/escaped, and he was shell shocked from a mortar attack.

Attached: kwai.png (1295x529, 1.36M)

is it me or does this sound stupid?

Pretty sure they're the ones who built the thing

Fair enough

Always found the weird wobble thing he does before falling on the detonator really fucking stupid. Otherwise his acting is 10/10 for me tbqh.

>and will be remembered forever for some shitty role in some shitty space movie

Maybe by said virgin neckbeards. Real kino connoisseurs will know him mainly for The Ladykillers, The Bridge on the River Kwai and The Lavender Hill Mob.

Based Alec lmao.

Attached: 1556071626001.gif (320x240, 1.79M)

Yes, everything you said

Is it facials? expressions?

Stilted face and expressions standing up to a dishonest commander
deliveries of lines?
well written, standing up to his Article 27 of the genva conventions
pronoucnination?
proper mid century British army colonel
ad-libs?
Nah, he would have stuck to script
body language?
proper mid century British army colonel

That didn't explain it so well. but yes, like said, 10/10

>The Ladykillers

I forgot there was an original one. Shall be watching soon. Coen Bros are better when they stick to making original material.

Attached: ladykillers.jpg (448x640, 102K)

Haven't seen the American remake but the original is great.

He was the best one arguably in Star Wars 1. So good in fact, he got a percentage of the take off the box office (the only way Lucas could get him on because most of the budget was SFX which was obviously needed) and made millions as was mentioned in OP.

Imagine if Roger Cormann had thought of and made Battle of the Stars first?

Skip the yank remake.

Imagine when they start remaking Kubrick films...

Attached: tumblr_m3ghih4jhh1r6s53m.jpg (320x213, 29K)

well shit

Theater actor. Maybe it was with young Sir Ian...

His kids STILL receive payments from Lucas. The man got an ungodly sum of money.

It was the madness of the mediocre military mindset. He's more invested in his personal standing than in anything he's meant to be fighting for, so he collaborates in return for the illusion of control. John Milius intended Apocalypse Now to be a similar kind of comment - Kurtz's (or rather, Liddy's) jungle cult was meant to be a measure of his basic mediocrity, not something to impress us. Unfortunately, Coppola didn't get that, and so a notional liberal turned a conservative's anti-authoritarian screenplay into a pro-authoritarian jack-off fantasy. Cocaine: not even once.

Yes, you are. You can hear in Star Wars that he has no idea what any of the lines mean, and feels no emotional conviction in the role; it's just a nice payday for total dreck. Colonel Nicholson in The Bridge on the River Kwai is a committed performance.

Yeah, but Apocalypse still turned out to be a fucking great movie

Never saw this. Can't imagine how it could possibly be meaningful.

No, it turned out to be a bunch of great cinematography with Henry Rollins-tier macho mystification on the soundtrack.

*SLAP*
YOU WIRR WORK-U

>Henry Rollins-tier macho mystification on the soundtrack

Wut? Francis Coppola's dad doing some cool and ominous sounding synth music and the only other song I remember was some average cover of Susie Q during the USO show bit.

Oh yeah, and The End by The Doors at the start I guess (which was edgy, but I think was still kinda cool).

I'm talking about the voiceover. Carmine Coppola's music is the rake-step of all time, it dates the movie.

You sound stupid

>theater actor
wouldn't be too surprised

He cracked. They poured their heart and souls into building the bridge, putting up a comemorative plaque, and some bloody Canadian wanker was about to blow it up. But then he realized that he was thereby defending enemy interests and prepared to do it himself to salvage his honour but died in the process.

Oh, Martin Sheen's voiceover?

>i hardly said a word until i said yes to a divorce, the jungle, it calls me, etc

Francis had the movie so disorganized he had to get Martin to record that voiceover like 2 years after filming to pad the fucking together. Necessary evil. in terms of the 'macho' part of the voiceover, if that's what you're referring to, you know Sheen's character was partly based on a CIA op training anti-Viet Cong villagers who got criticized by his higher ops for not being effective enough that he sent his superiors a package with like 200 earlobes in it and asked if that was enough? CIA and Army MACV-SOG among others got pretty hardcore.

Attached: extremeprejudice.jpg (1600x802, 113K)

Scorsese had already used it in Who's That Knocking At My Door? Coppola should have chosen something else.

I know the backstory you permavirgin, it's evidence of a failed film. Why are you confirming that it was based on a real-life macho idiot?

Scorcese doesn't exclusive rights. He who used it better and people still remember it fondly in 20 years wins.

Attached: B5EFA025-423B-415D-825F-8E68B0B33EC7.jpg (645x729, 49K)

All those war crimes, and you still lost.

Because it was a good film. At least we agree it was great cinematography. Tell me you at least liked Duvall's bit.

Scorsese used it better, and where are their relative reputations now? Coppola is a joke and the father of a joke, Scorsese is an elder statesman.

Did we though?

Attached: trumpnguyen.jpg (960x637, 70K)

It's not a good film. Duvall's bit has always seemed like ordinary Patton stuff to me. The whole pattern of Milius's concept, made into what it was intended to be, could have been a good film, but not the chickenshit egotistical mess that resulted. Bad ideas photographed beautifully.

Yeah, you did.

You are a deeply fragile person

>posts pic of Vietnamese premier shaking hands with Russian agent as proof of American triumph
hahahaaaa

Where are a bunch of old wops reputations? You tell me. I certainly am holding out for The Irishman however.

Despite our vague argument, are you holding out hope it be will nothing short of excellent (better, or at least on par with The Departed) or will it be Netflix shite?

As you probably remember, Coppola wrote Patton.

If you're investing your personal identity into Coppola's movie, you're the one who's fragile. A bad film is a bad film, there are millions of them. Would you call me fragile if I said Howard the Duck was a bad film? No? Then grow the fuck up.

>these are the morons arguing about kino with you

Correct, again, why are you telling me stuff I already know?

This is the first time I responded to you, precisely looking for this sort of reply.

You’re doomed.

Name a good film then. I p romise I won't automatically call it shit. Chances are I'll like it too.

Here's another a movie I also like.

Attached: The_Straight_Story_poster.jpg (334x500, 96K)

Their general reputations are well known. Scorsese's last credible project was the relatively recent Silence, whereas Coppola's was... The Conversation? I think it's obvious who people still have most time for. Scorsese's stuff has aged well. That said, I won't pretend that most of his output this century hasn't been alimony-paying shit. I expect The Irishman to be fucking dreadful, but only because I don't believe the de-aging can look anything other than grotesque.

In case you didn't. Duvall was an excellent character and should have got best supporting Oscar imo. Never saw his drunk country music movie guy movie he won the Oscar for. Never saw Jeff Bridge's one either.

I also think Jonah should have got best supporting Oscar for Wolf of Wall Street over Leto for Dallas Buyers Club.

I knew that, but I wasn't going to change the subject for your benefit.

The Rainmaker wasn't horrible.

I'm indifferent to the Oscars.

Red Line 7000.

never knew this guy was obi won kenobi. great acting though still remember him wiping his forehead

Yeah, but nobody considered it credible, did they? It just continued his pattern of taking on ordinary work to pay debts.

He got done for cottaging once

>luke, did i ever tell you about the time i met a tramp in a public toilet?
>got my my meatsabre polished proper
>he was a good friend

Because being in the military doesn't take positive "moral and philosophy", Sergei.

I'm probably replying to the same person

Yeah but did you watch either Duvall's or Bridge's Oscar winning movies? Any good? I'll definitely look up Red Line 7000. Hawks was still alive in fucking 1965? What's your favorite movie by highest budget, out of interest?
I still maintain the theory he got fucked up permanently and creatively by the Apocalypse Now 'fiasco'. Actually, didn't make some shit movie about God or spirits or someshit in the late 2000's with that German hottie from Downfall?

Yeah, fucking hot in the Morocco desert when Lucas couldn't afford them trailers. Actually, Harrison Ford got dysentery in the sale area where they shot one of his Indy films.

Some other dude pointed that out earlier in the thread. Is it a pattern I'm seeing? The famous non-gay theater actors of the UK died of alcoholism and the rest managed to avoid AIDS...except Denholm Elliott (who was bi)

Kurz was partly based on the senior officer, Col. Rheault, from the Green Beret Affair.

specialoperations.com/31384/the-green-beret-affair-project-gamma-a-massive-snafu-for-the-army/

His portrayal of Fagan is legendary

Indeed

There's Sir Patrick Stewart, who's still alive and banging women younger than him.

Attached: Patrick Stewart434.jpg (620x413, 39K)

The Man in the White Suit is a 11/10 Guinness kino. Gregory McDonald was a huge fan of it.

it has moments of real greatness. it's mostly meandering incoherence.

>It was the madness of the mediocre military mindset. He's more invested in his personal standing than in anything he's meant to be fighting for, so he collaborates in return for the illusion of control.
But isn't it shown that he did the right thing? The jap was about to harakiri himself because Alec was a better leader than him

Mother I want to
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP

fucking based