Dyatlov did nothing wrong edition

Previous thread...

I am a supervisor at a nuclear facility AMA

Attached: Dealing with operators.png (900x676, 410K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/clmazin/status/1125634188806316033
youtube.com/watch?v=iOL5UF5WSX4
youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw
youtube.com/watch?v=IVthWR4cR1g
popsci.com/blog-network/eek-squad/wind-turbines-kill-more-600000-bats-year-what-should-we-do
usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/
youtu.be/VeP93iidkJQ
theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/
nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/02/deep-sea-creatures-mariana-trench-eat-plastic/
energy.gov/articles/president-trump-signs-bill-boost-advanced-nuclear-america
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreev_Bay_nuclear_accident
youtube.com/watch?v=n7aMcKinrWY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you live with constant existential dread or is it /comfy/?

Attached: 1507046499361.jpg (189x267, 33K)

is chernobyl's corium at a high risk of melting into the groundwater?

SJW show

reminder that radiation is a western capitalist meme and that not all of us here in pripyat are mutants or zombies

is it kino?

If something goes wrong I accept that I have the moral duty to correct it. Dyatlov was lacking in that capacity and looked to avoid going to a labour camp for the rest of his life.

This man is delusional, take him to the infirmary.

The Misadventures of Fomin and Bryukhanov
S1E1 Fomin and Bryukhanov go under the reactor and Fomin fucking dies

>correct a xenon-poisoning feedback loop
Okay.

Well, how does a RBMK reactor explode?

Checkmate comrades

Attached: smug.jpg (191x264, 5K)

To add to that the Soviets had a bad culture when it came to accidents. The Japs are much worse.

Fug, this episode spooked the shit out of me. To see just how close we were to literal global catastrophe. Had it not been for those three men, we literally would not be sitting here now posting in these threads. The whole world would be different. Most of Europe would probably be full on Mad Max.

Otherwise damn good episode. The whole complaint about the woman is a bit overblown, but I do feel like they could have handled it better. She just seemed to "know" everything just cause and we have to take her character at face value.

*record scratch*
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got myself into this situation. Well, it all started when I cracked wise about getting an x-ray...

Attached: five years.jpg (967x600, 221K)

So is this show just making your nightmares about possible nuclear fallout more realized with the effects of radiation, or has it been something you've seen happen before?

You people are the worst.

Did the flashlights go out because of radiation or Soviet Quality™?

How does an RBMK reactor explode?

Unless you're an Operations, I&C, or a Security supervisor you don't really matter.

To add to the question - What protects everyday workers of nuclear plants from radiation?

Yeah

It cannot explode. it is impossible.

Have you ever had the chance to watch Shin Godzilla, it's pretty much a parody of the Fukushima incident, which after Chernobyl, I want to see a drama/documentary of it.
Any good Yea Forums shows about the Fukushima incident you would recommend?

More sand, your grace?

Attached: lancov.jpg (736x1104, 441K)

>if it was me id just pull myself together and fix the core like a real man
top kek good luck

I'm watching episode 1 right now and i'm wondering, did no one know about radiation? I mean they are working in a nuclear power plant...

Shielding, and the fact that we have separate sealed containment buildings for the reactor vessel. They do inspections inside but for very short periods.

its funny how many of you were destined to hate the following episodes by reading a new york times review, like suddenly you take supposedly leftist reviews seriously.

it's still a kino show cmon

What kinda reactor you got there, PWR, ABWR, HWR, BWR, or some small experimental reactor?

The actual core is surrounded by a ton of concrete and lead

Can you assholes decide on a fucking consistent thread title?
How hard is it to name these threads Chernobyl?

Attached: 1557781364708.jpg (720x720, 268K)

No, it never was.

actually it's hard to say if it would've been a catastrophe of that magnitude, the reality consistently fell well short of projections and the water in the tanks had been steadily evaporating because hot air was being forced into the ducts and the metal was conducting the heat and transferring it to the water. Less water meant the explosion would have been significantly smaller.

Does nuclear power have a future?

sure, RBMK-type reactors just don't have a part in it

unless its russia

radiation. it's why all electronics that go into space have to be shielded.

twitter.com/clmazin/status/1125634188806316033

what did the writer mean by this?

The fuel is contained in rods which are contained in a housing submerged in water. The water alone is enough protection in a controlled reaction.

Now more than ever I believe that nuclear energy is a possible future for eco friendly means of producing energy, granted it shouldn't be the primary means of producing energy among renewable energy such as wind farms, water mills and solar energy.

It was only 3.6. Like getting a mild chest X-ray. Nothing more.

It is THE future except people are so misinformed about it it makes things difficult
The soviet design was inherently flawed from the start

The real videos are kino enough.

Of course they knew. However, since nothing like this had ever occurred, it was very easy to stay in denial until it was too late.

Attached: 1557821238140.png (610x530, 439K)

To be fair, it was much better to overestimate the danger than to underestimate it. Also, the information they had was patchy, so a lot of their estimates had to rely on conjecture.

if everything is working fine there isn't need for much protection, hence why nuclear subs have very minimal shielding on reactors despite clsoe proximity to hundreds.

>Comrades, the fission can only by stopped with the freshly pickled testicles of white men
wtf I thought you guys were exaggerating the SJW shit, this is insane

Attached: CHERNOBYL-Emily-Watson-as-Ulana-Khomyuk-photo-credit-Liam-Daniel-HBO-e1557126877890.jpg (1170x617, 71K)

Radiation is an Western lie to prevent the glorious Soviet Union from succeeding
Now get to the roof comrade

shhh spoilers

I get that we're lucky enough in this day and age to literally be able to watch peoples reactions and them recording on the ground about what happened, but there's nothing wrong with a little production value.

Faulty flashlights from Moscow

It still blows my mind that the producer of the show previously made schlock like Scary Movie 3 & 4...

Or to be precise, something similar had occurred (see Mayak), but it was classified and not public knowledge.

>"what do you mean dangerous, we're over here and the fire is over there"
Oh you, Mikhail.

Attached: you dumb motherfucker.jpg (960x960, 195K)

Solar and wind are memes, they only supply excess power to the grid, allowing other plants running on fossil fuels to throttle back. They are not a primary source of power, in fact, they increase our reliance on burning carbon.

Nuclear and Hydro are the ONLY clean sources of energy.

>literally a fictional character
Yeah, I have to agree, I am legitimately wondering what he meant by this. This is some unironic revisionist history bullshit, lol.

all these charactrers in denial is just like people being in denial about climate change
it's a terrible shame that many of the people who acknowledge the reality of climate change are not willing to support nuclear energy when it is basically the only clear solution to clean energy
man we are fucked

>After World War II, the Soviet Union lagged behind the U.S. in development of nuclear weapons, so it started a rapid research and development program to produce a sufficient amount of weapons-grade uranium and plutonium. The Mayak plant was built in haste between 1945 and 1948. Gaps in physicists' knowledge about nuclear physics at the time made it difficult to judge the safety of many decisions. Environmental concerns were not taken seriously during the early development stage. Initially Mayak was dumping high-level radioactive waste into a nearby river, which flowed to the river Ob, flowing farther down to the Arctic Ocean. All six reactors were on Lake Kyzyltash and used an open-cycle cooling system, discharging contaminated water directly back into the lake.[3] When Lake Kyzyltash quickly became contaminated, Lake Karachay was used for open-air storage, keeping the contamination a slight distance from the reactors but soon making Lake Karachay the "most-polluted spot on Earth".

>A storage facility for liquid nuclear waste was added around 1953. It consisted of steel tanks mounted in a concrete base, 8.2 meters (27 ft) underground. Because of the high level of radioactivity, the waste was heating itself through decay heat (though a chain reaction was not possible). For that reason, a cooler was built around each bank, containing 20 tanks. Facilities for monitoring operation of the coolers and the content of the tanks were inadequate."

Those pesky Russians

>I am a supervisor at a nuclear facility AMA
Of course you are.
Bet you got your degree on wikipedia, with a bachelor in google research.
Kill yourself.

hydro ruins the ecosystem. thermal is the best

Are you telling me THIS isn't the epitome of cinema?
youtube.com/watch?v=iOL5UF5WSX4
Is there no real way to generate power for the world without fucking over an eco system?

>By Lenin's beard! What happened to me? I used to be Deputy Secretary for Fuel and Energy, for Marx's sake!

all good points, but I would say that based on later estimates of the output of contaminated particles pppm in the atmosphere, scientists today would have expected much more severe repercussions. Turns out carbon based lifeforms and the atmosphere is far more resilient to radioactive particles than is generally thought.

If the overall tone wasn't so terrifying and dread-inducing, some of the Brukhanov and Fomin scenes would come across as sitcom tier. There are moments where the Curb theme almost starts to play in my head while those two are on the screen making excuses for their incompetence.

Rule 47 of Soviet Nuclear Technology - Moscow ALWAYS hoards the good equipment

>"You made lava?"
>Laugh track plays

is the spot on this guy's head historically accurate. it throws me out if it wasnt

Attached: dgfgdf.jpg (1456x1120, 183K)

Nuclear energy is not a toy, but it's not some demon from hell either. When Fukushima happened, it was pretty funny watching my country's top nuclear authority director visit every news broadcast and explain over and over again that no, we're not going to get cancer and die. She looked really fed up with that shit.

It IS weird and funny that there's so much of the bureaucrats trying to do some good ol CYA.
But if the main writer is to be believed, this IS what happened with the explosion, so much so it does border on comedy, if it wasn't for all the lives effected by the radiation.

>excuses
They were asleep. It was clearly Dyatlov's fault and his comrades were only trying to protect him.

Old flashlights have no electronics in them. Just batteries and a hot wire.

Shielding, distance and time.

I work in an older facility; shielding isn't great so working times are reduced. Dose is very heavily managed; noone gets close to their legal limit.

I legit laughed when they started acting like children who got cought painting walls with felt-tip pens

>not knowing about gorbechav's headscar
Are you stupid?

Attached: 3613518a5005800_112112.png (112x112, 18K)

It's fine, comrade.

Its our only hope of providing sufficient energy for an exponentially growing global population.

Of course thats if we don't let retards work in NPPs and governments take safety regs DEADLY SERIOUS when building NPPs instead of letting construction companies half ass the job because muh profits

I hope they went to the gulag.

yes, extremely

Attached: gorvachev.jpg (3126x4000, 1.08M)

Jesus Christ I am so old.
youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

Also, it was a pretty good choice not trying to portray him as a savior to the whole crisis, he was still just a bureaucrat.

>Solar and wind are memes, they only supply excess power to the grid
People only think this because the current market only uses them in this fashion. It's circular logic.

This series actually plays really well as a pitch-black comedy. The description of how the what would happen when the core hits the water-tanks was comedy gold.

Why did I see graphite on the roof?

Time
Distance
Shielding
(Elimination/Mitigation)

Stuff that can kill you in seconds exists in them (usually buried in lead metal concrete casks/bottom of deep pools). But you're going to pick up some dose when working in a radiation area. Thankfully, the vast majority of that dose is super low grade stuff, that gets tracked and monitored to a yearly federal limit, which is further limited by the private sector who don't want to get prosecuted into oblivion by the NRC.

I loved that part. In the politburo transcripts there's a part when several ministers are unwillingly admitting that the reactor design is shit and several of the reactors are falling apart and Gorbachev goes, "Wait, they don't even know what's going to happen if there's a fire? What idiots!". It's like a mix of horror and a bureaucratical sitcom.

>Chernobyl cover up was the catalyst for glasnost

So ultimately, Core-chan saved the world from communism? I knew there was a reason I fell in love with core-chan other than her arousing, sexual ionizing effect on muh dick

Fucking zoomers these days. Learn to google faggot

You didn't comrade.

>Is there no real way to generate power for the world without fucking over an eco system?
Define "fucking over"
Solar plants require bulldozing over the ecosystem like if you were making a food farm
Wind farms are bird murder factories, or at the very least stealing all the sunlight that the plants would use even if you put them all on raised platforms and shit
Hydro plants either delete river ecosystems or fuck up fish on the coast -- although people are coming up with pretty low-impact coastal farms, but they're not as productive as the "fuck it all" ones
Fossil fuels are causing the Permian-Triassic Extinction Round 2 (only with us in the middle of it this time)
Nuclear power is pretty safe until something goes wrong and then you turn everything in the not-so-immediate vicinity into Fallout

Geothermal power probably wouldn't be too damaging in the long run but it's not exactly something that works everywhere all the time

I agree, it stupidly feels like a comedy of total inadequacy of responding to the situation properly.
And I think it's justified when the solution was "Move everyone down the road" & "Cover the open reactor in lead, twice over." All I can manage is "This was your best response?"

Probably was their only response though.

Just remember that in 2012 with Fukushima, the Japs had literally the same response as the Soviets: "we didn't think it could happen".

>Government agencies and TEPCO were unprepared for the "cascading nuclear disaster". The tsunami that "began the nuclear disaster could and should have been anticipated and that ambiguity about the roles of public and private institutions in such a crisis was a factor in the poor response at Fukushima".[199] In March 2012, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda said that the government shared the blame for the Fukushima disaster, saying that officials had been blinded by a false belief in the country's "technological infallibility", and were taken in by a "safety myth". Noda said "Everybody must share the pain of responsibility."

>People only think this because the current market only uses them in this fashion. It's circular logic.
Yes, once they invent the battery technology. However, as an engineer who works in the field, it's simply not going to happen. In about a decade or so, all those windmills are going to have to be taken down.

would fusion reactors be safe?

Attached: Tokamak.webm (352x288, 2.57M)

>exponentially growing global population.
not for long

i rather use this board thanks

Those don't exist

>trying to tell your superiors what they did and didn't see

it's labor camp for you

Whelp this is all I can muster.

Attached: Dont let it set in.png (286x276, 50K)

Well technically yeah. I dont think they can produce any significant long term demage unlike radiation.

>Nuclear power is pretty safe until something goes wrong and then you turn everything in the not-so-immediate vicinity into Fallout
What about the nuclear waste?

Good luck making one that creates more power than it takes

glasnost was always gorbys master plan

>In about a decade or so, all those windmills are going to have to be taken down.
Why, what's wrong with them?

Yeah my yearly limit was something like 500 mrem and I never got close to that. Most nuclear workers receive less dosage from their work than they would get on a plane ride from New York to Los Angeles

Brukyhanov
imprisoned for ten years but only served five years of the sentence.
Fomin
before trial he had a mental breakdown and tried to kill himself. Fomin had broken his glasses and slit his wrists with the shards, but they saved his life.

Throw it under a mountain in the middle of nowhere
And ideal solution would just be to launch it into the sun but obviously that's way too dangerous to be practical

they do exist they just aren't practical

Nuclear waste from power plants isn't a thing. The Yucca mountain stuff in barrels is waste from weapons manufacture and medical treatment. Nuke plant waste is stored in dry casks.

Attached: mns-dsc_7794_thmb.jpg (460x280, 19K)

you put it underground in a mountain after you tell nevada to fuck off

This new ep seems very comfy

>dangerous
You do realize that you need energy and resources to launch shit into orbit and even then 1 kg costs few thousand tonnes. Unless you know how to teleport shit good luck with getting any significant amount of radioactive waste into space.

>brrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp

Have we even found ways of reducing or making use of nuclear waste that isn't put them in lead-lined containers, bury them in concrete and never think about it again?

yep. he had to do it gradually to keep the kgb and party from flipping their shit (which they did anyway)

>dude trust me this cache of nuclear waste will totally be safe for all 100,000 years of it's half life
>"but what if some unspecified ecological or human event at some point causes the local water supply to run into it?"
>"what if people settle over it and aren't aware of the danger due to some unforeseen disaster removing all memory of the site from their culture, and they unleash it on the world?"
>
>
>dude just don't think about it lol

Gen 4 reactors fixes that problem

Every couple years I re-read the story of the disaster and I always forget just how much of a fuckup the whole thing was.

>Let's design a reactor that increases in output at the drop of a hat
>And a backup cooling system that doesn't really work
>Time to test the non-working backup system
>Don't give it time to power down
>Let the graveyard shift handle it instead of the guys who were supposed to
>Disable all the safeties
>Ignore all alarms and put the reactor into an uncontrollable state on purpose
>THEN start the cooling system test
>Really surprised when something goes wrong
>Pretend you didn't just create a giant runaway death ray and send a bunch of guys to gawk at it
>Entire management and political structure acts like nothing happens for days
>Meanwhile people are being turned into jelly and nuclear clouds and blowing all over the world

It's amazing, really. I mean, I know negligence like this happens all the time but this was on an apocalyptic level.

its not. did you see the woman?

what was this?

Attached: 1552056364636.png (1606x835, 1.14M)

It's a good show.
I was 100% engaged and interested until Mariska Sueovich was introduced, acting like she traveled from the future having just read the wikipedia article on Chernobyl.
At this point they practically have me rooting for the kgb to pop out and black bag her for divulging state secrets, that being said the show is still fantastic and scenes like the "shoe man" could easily be edited out.
Not worth dropping it over one dumb character.

There are reactors that can recycle spent fuel that takes the waste half life down from 10,000x years down to something like 200 years, only in the process of doing this the reactors generate weapons-grade material so they're never ever going to get made so long as nonproliferation policies are in effect.

They've gotten pretty in depth about making warning signs for waste storage facilities

how did the radiation kill their flashlights?

Attached: 1531634918598.png (1185x685, 541K)

How does it?
Are gen 4 reactors less of a possible upgrade option and more of a "You must adopt these advances in technology to ensure this plant will still be running?"

its not that radioactive
after a few decades it goes from absolutely lethal to everyone slowly getting cancer over many years - not great, not terrible

Just feed water it's nothing to worry about

You know they wouldn't have said a god damn thing about it globally if the Swedes hadn't said something

She's a mild nuisance. The show is still very much enjoyable.

Attached: 1557822064064.png (888x539, 615K)

What do you anons think of the UN report that says 400 people died? Is it true comrades or was it higher/lower than that?

The windmills are driving bats and other essential flying animals into extinction. Solar will have to relied on 100%, but we only have 8 mins of battery storage nation wide, we would need about 72 hours worth. So the battery farm would be about the size of Ohio. The battery insulator is sulfur hexafluoride, and any fire would be so catastrophic the entire grid would be destroyed, and the release of SH6 would push global temperatures into the danger zone.

for those who understand ruskiu' there's hour long confession Dyatlov gave where totally prove he indeed did nothing wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=IVthWR4cR1g

agreed desu senpai

higher, much higher

How come ending of this episode is way more intense and horrifying than every single "horror" movie of a last decade?

So what seems to be the only good news about nuclear power and reducing the damages its waste it can do isn't possible because of treaties.
Is there no way to circumnavigate it or make allowances in a policy?

Because it is based on an actual event

It's said that the experiment was planned by Formin

they do form 50% of the population user. and the soviet union was pretty feminist. although i don't think they called it that.

>they're killing birds
are they really? I always hear this but it just sounds ridiculous

>can't use fossil fuels without deleting the ecosystem through climate change
>can't use windmills without dismantling the ecosystem through mass extinctions
>can't use solar farms due to concerns with building materials and risk for rapid climate change
>can't use nuclear fuel because people are retards who will irradiate the world with their own incompetency
>can't use geothermal plants because they only work near volcanoes
Is the only way out the complete dismantling of industrialized society?

might've been electromagnetic radiation
I dunno I'm not a scientist

HOLY BASED

They are able to eat up the existing nuclear waste and create energy out of it. Also, the waste they create lasts only a few centuries compared to millions of years.

popsci.com/blog-network/eek-squad/wind-turbines-kill-more-600000-bats-year-what-should-we-do

>or at the very least stealing all the sunlight that the plants would use even if you put them all on raised platforms and shit

the sun moves across the sky if you hadn't noticed you fucking moron

It wasn't radiation just shitty Russian build quality

Because scuba diving in radioactive death-water with sub-par flashlights is the scariest shit possible. And the outcome for failure is far, far worse than just your own death.

>flashlights start dying
i'm gonna feel all sorts of bad if these men die before completing their mission.

Attached: 1533742778831.jpg (400x400, 27K)

>Giant swirling metal blades in the sky placed along strong wind currents where birds fly just sounds too ridiculous

what's the difference between a geiger counter and a dosimeter?

Depends on how hard you want to quarantine the plants and by extension the country away from any and all potential risk groups.
Bird and bat brains literally are not built to account for the presence of giant metal sawblades in the air. They simply do not register them so they fly straight into them and die.

Nuclear can be made safe, it is safe actually.

we'll probably never really know the exact number but the 31 deaths of acute radiation poisoning seems like a pretty certain number and I'm honestly surprised it wasn't higher.

We need to make a Dyson sphere

Your ancestral line ends with you, go to sleep with that knowledge

400 rubles per year tho

And you're essentially putting the entire solar farm site under a giant rooftop, go see how efficient it is to try growing shit like sunflowers in the shade 24/7 if you want an extreme example.

Because you know there's no monsters or jump scares coming but it still manages to be spooky

This user is spreading disinformation.

It's safe so long as the people operating the plant aren't retarded. That should tell you how safe it really is in the long run.

geiger counter measures the amount of radiation
dosimeter measures the energy

Wait, what the FUCK?

Attached: dyatlov meme.png (1032x892, 403K)

Simmer down there, Ted

There hasn't been a meltdown of a new technology passive safe reactor yet. Until then, you can't say that.

nigga, I don't want to get paid in zelda currency.

???

the point about 'stealing sunlight' was made with regards to WIND FARMS

and was very fucking retarded

Attached: 1024.jpg (300x180, 11K)

usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/

>more deaths from cats than wind turbines
yes, truly they are a menace

It's not even just the power generation that is fucking us up
>by 2100 in a BAU case all insects on the planet will be dead
>by 2100 in a BAU case all arable land on the planet will be dustbowled
>by 2100 in a BAU case ocean plastic waste will have depopulated the oceans
We're fucked. At this point I'm half-rooting for climate change to apply the brakes to human expansion before we yoink the ecosystem out from underneath ourselves with our own food supplies.

>USAtoday
Yikes

Nah, just scale the population wayyyy back and we will be golden.

I mistyped, bite me

I want to ask questions but Im not sure if they are in my best interest.

>usatoday

Attached: 1557822246307.png (844x698, 661K)

Attached: JC fact.png (207x239, 22K)

>wind mills are safe
youtu.be/VeP93iidkJQ

Retard here, what is the difference please?

Cats kill species of birds that don't matter. There's a big fucking difference. It's like saying bees don't matter because trillions of ants get killed.

you've been drinking too much delicious feedwater bro

Attached: chernobyl feedwater.png (1895x973, 1.26M)

most of those concerns are ridiculously over blown and promoted by oil companies

Whelp, I've hit apathy mode.
We're fucked, unless we take acts of terrorism onto major parts of industrial production, the earth is fucked.

Wtf we must ban cats now.

which species of birds matter?

wtf is that the actual Gorbachev?

and popsci isn't yikes?

Nuclear power hasn't killed any birds in mass numbers.

Get me the BORON SAND STRETCHER!

its not too bad, africa will go first, that should create enough of a crisis that the rest of us have to do something
africa will go though, hard

Actual historic spoiler here
Impossibly, they all lived. One died in '05

Shut up, the planet is resilient as fuck.

did they not expect to get hit with a natural disaster?

Turns out, it was the passenger pigeon. Ever notice how it's been a long downward spiral ever since we got rid of those things?

Yes. Gorby was that spineless.

>significantly reduce our meat consumption
>the crops previously used for cattle are now used for biofuel production

Probably fucked up the battery inside. Some kind of weird reaction happening or it fried / melted the electronics.

I don't know, but bats(mammals) are extremely important to agriculture. In fact without bats we can't grow food in much of the USA.

theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature
scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/

>dude just dump more carbon lmao what could go wrong?

And Africa will flood the rest of us with people trying to escape that shitshow. Unless we really like refugees, we really should start acting fast.

So nothing actually improves, yet again?

You're absolutely right, my apologies.
WE are fucked, we'll run ourselves into a man mad apocalypse, we'll all or mostly die and the earth will repair itself around our ruins.

don't worry user Trump has everything under control, he's going to save us by owning the libs epic style

Nobody gives a fuck if there rock becomes utterly lifeless except maybe some microbes and algae, we care if WE are fucked along with all life as we know it, now stop being pedantic

>But, Comrade General Secretary, if I may, it appears the radiation has already manifested on your forehead.

>imagine being the sole leader of one of the three superpowers ever to exist
>imagine less than a decade later you were doing Pizza Hut commercials
You can always stoop lower.

First step is cutting the food aide and start the sterilizing

At least the thermal tube worms will remain unaffected by this fuckery.

>i want to fly directly over the reactor and die painfully because i am le evil soviet man

What the fuck is going on with the writing in this show?

This is likely true, we won't destroy earth just ourselves.

Not us, we've got two oceans of separation, have fun you guys
t. USA

they had a good run

He could not see anything wrong. It was probably just cement.

You understand that this absolutely qualifies for an electronic circuit, right?
There is a positive terminal on the battery, as well as a negative.
As the ELECTRONS are passing through the bulb filament, they are sent back to the battery. Completing the CIRCUIT.

Based on real "monsters" a horror that we made, hard to top that kind of spooky.
Also it isn't even over, the threat of an incident is still possible will the material being a threat for thousands of years.
True the other reactors are now decommissioned, so they can't go with it if another reaction to water occurred and a few areas of surrounding radiation have died down.
But if it wasn't a threat why would anyone care about the sarcophagus or bother with the trillion dollar new building to cover it for another 70-100 years.
That alone is proof.

Why, what's so special about bats

its called bravery

>the smartest species this planet has ever seen
>literally kills itself and half of the natural world within a few decades because it's too greedy
Why is our species such a disappointment?

They were too based to die.

Their shit.

>At least the thermal tube worms will remain unaffected by this fuckery.
haha

no
nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/02/deep-sea-creatures-mariana-trench-eat-plastic/

We won't kill ourselves, as a species. There will be people in Russia, Canada, and South America that will make it. In fact if Russia can meme a way to make the thawed Siberian tundra arable, climate change will turn them into the new eternal superpower. It just won't be (you) that survives.

Good luck keeping your economy running when all your key trade partners are in shambles. We're all in this together, mate.

He was a clueless bureaucrat with a large ego.

yea lots of people think they died, I think they're confusing them with Akimov and Toptunov who did die trying to get water into the reactor core

fuzzy tummy

>be something 20 year old on mongol throat-singing community board
>know everything about the world but is still somehow not very successful in any field
>watch disaster tv-series and make statements about how the world will end
embarrassing desu

Attached: 1536815887579.jpg (536x437, 24K)

Because the humble shark is actually the best single design for life on Earth. Humans were an experiment, nothing more.
It turns out, living in an environment with near-infinite resources (the sea) is way more sustainable than getting dragged into constant resources squabbles of land-cucks.
t. dolphin

And why would the same not be true for any generic bird shit?

in the past they added nitrogen back into the soil, and guano was one of the only natural sources of nitrogen for fertilizers. Today they aren't important at all since we artificially fix nitrogen, probably the most important scientific breakthrough ever made by mankind and it never gets mentioned.

have fun with trying to live when all the coral reefs are dead and your food supply evaporates, you stupid rape fish
t. hominid

Actually this, but unironically.
energy.gov/articles/president-trump-signs-bill-boost-advanced-nuclear-america

But I am successful in my field.

I want to fuck your tight dolphin pussy.

>cells, deformed from physical impacts and ice, spilled nuclear fuel. The working sailors then used regular shovels to pour the fuel into the cement-encased vertical steel pipes of the storage containers. These actions lead to accumulation of critical mass and subsequent uncontrolled chain reactions, glowing from Cherenkov radiation and emitting a buzzing sound, which quickly subsided

damn soviets and their nukular things

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreev_Bay_nuclear_accident

have boron

United States is a colony of Russia.

>doesn't understand the difference between chad quano and vigin birdshit.

and what field is that?

lmao eco-freaks unironically belive this shit

mechanical engineering with a focus in controls engineering

that's why I asked in the first place

Oh no, we as dolphins are totally fucked. We tried living on land, saw it was a dead end, and moved back to the sea. I said sharks were going to continue to inherent the earth.
They have survived nearly every mass extinction event this planet has seen. They just can't access the internet lick dolphins can.

>In that moment, I thought I was in Hell. When I found myself submerged in radioactive water, and my legs were caught by death ray-emitting drums, death's hot embrace enveloped my body and began to pull my consciousness into a warm daze, in that moment I thought I was only 20 years old and I did not want to die. Just then, my friend and savior Semenov, risking his own life, freed my legs from under the nuclear waste drums, and we emerged at the pool's surface.
Jesus Christ

The planet and humans work on a different timeline. The existence of every bipedal mammal that lead to you shitposting on Yea Forums took place in an insignificant amount of time as far as the planet is concerned. Problem is maintaining an ecosystem that was can thrive in, as well as enough resources to keep us alive.

it does feel pretty pathetic honestly, it took a huge asteroid to kill the dinosaurs, now we're just gonna kill ourselves cause we can't stop our own consumerism.

has a professional 'engineer' ever contributed any significant invention to makind? Remember going to an open day for an engineering course and it was talking about some innovations in the field and not one of the inventors was a professional engineer.

Fun fact: there are 2.4 billion people living in China and India.
The vast majority of the water used by the people of these countries comes from glacial melt in the Himalayan mountains.
Climate change is going to delete up to 50% of that water supply by 2040 simply by melting the glaciers. The floodwaters will nuke their river valleys and then the rivers will trickle to a crawl.
What happens when a full 3rd of the worlds' populace loses access to water almost overnight?
Have fun, Europe

so you have literally no formal education in any of the fields of expertise in which you make doomsday predictions based on alarmist projections

Water leaking from the reactor I take it. Super radiactive aids, that's why they ran

Attached: 1557353648390.jpg (687x849, 124K)

virtually every telecommunications and signal processing innovation in the 20th century was made by engineers working for a paycheck instead of ""professional scientists""

It's an electric circuit, not electronic you brainlet.

There's a good documentary about this called into eternity

Attached: MV5BMjI4NzUxMjA2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjczNjI0NA@@._V1_.jpg (413x600, 32K)

absolutely based, surely this combined with his love of clean coal will save the earth and destroy the liberals once and for all

Every single mass extinction event except for the dinosaurs was because of climate change. Hell not even the meteor impact killed the dinosaurs, it was the subsequent climate change that killed them all.

Look at all those upvotes you could be getting. Just imagine, anonymous. Imagine the prestige and the pusy that comes with it.

Attached: 1496979243595.png (741x609, 27K)

liquid chest X ray

Attached: 1557856545208s.jpg (125x125, 2K)

based pusy poster

>being so much of a self sacrificing CHAD that ionizing radiation bounces off your skin

The way I see it, we are at a crossroads and we have very legitimate chance of an end-of-times level change in all of human society.
We have two possible causes for what kills us all
>natural catastrophe.
The sun just farted so much ionizing radiation that our atmosphere melts
>man made extinction
Anything from nukes to a complete destruction of our atmosphere via pollution.
The first one is nothing we can control, the other option is.
So why the fuck is a discussion on this embarrassing? If anything, we should be teaching our children about the situation we're in. The only fucking way we don't kill ourselves is if we as a whole understand we are absolutely capable of creating our own mass extinction.
>but nah, this type of discussion makes your fee fees tingle and you think its gay to talk about our future problems
Go fuck yourself, you are a part of the problem

I'll not have any alarmist talk in this thread

>no containment building

they were a complacent bunch

Current nuclear waste is basically a nonissue if it's disposed properly, stop falling for memes.

Define electronic circuit.
Them digits please me

where to watch

nice text, if only someone would bother reading it

>stop eating things humans have been eating for 500k years if not more because making smartphones and plastic crap is more important

>absolutely based
It really is.

>Every single mass extinction event was because of a Chinese hoax
yea sure thing libtard

If they ever get them running for more than a few seconds at a time, sure. They still produce neutrons, so "safe" is a relative term, probably not something that people will have in their garage, sadly. It's always been "ten years from now" since the 1970s, so who knows when we'll eventually see actual power stations based on it. The Wendelstein 7-X looks like it came from Event Horizon though, so I hope we see more of those designs.

Why didn't they start pumping out the water the guys had to walk through ASAP? Sure, it would have taken forever, but can't be that much worse than the amount they need to pump later on either?

we weren't raising cattle on industrial scales for all that time user we only ate the wild game we could hunt. The problem isn't eating animals it's growing massive numbers of them specifically for slaughter.

imagine a world where we didnt have to pander to niggers spics arabs or women
if you could just cut out the dark skinned and the xx.
we could have shows like this every year. on every channel. we could have actual movies instead of pepsi superheroes vs the doritos transformers pt 5.

why cant we have our own channel like BET or lifetime or logo or univision?
why cant we have our own shows where we dont have to compromise or reduce the product to please the dark skinned and the feeble brained?

Attached: 91v75zm4xlL._RI_.jpg (2560x1920, 903K)

Did the Soviets have grain elevators? I feel like it would be easier than flying over a literal death ray in helos.

Attached: 169710-10528777.jpg (787x487, 40K)

Why have grain elevators when Ivan there needs a job? Wouldn't the radiation fuck with those as well?

Attached: 1557851657546.jpg (967x600, 228K)

>hurr
>durr
Kill yourself

I'll still take cows over more chinese consumer shit

PUMP WATER INTO THE CORE BEFORE I PISS MESELF

It would just fry the pump. That water was so irradiated that you could just imagine it being lava. The electronics would be fucked up by the radiation emitting from the water.
Your best bet would be a hand operated crank, but just like the circuit, the pump guy will die.

I thought that too, they could use those giant convayer belt things that mines use to push rock.

More feedwater your grace?

Are you asserting that european history was all peace and love until the first brown man stepped foot on the continent?

They had no grain to elevate, so no.

Mil mi 17 will do the job i dont see the issue anywhere.

Each meme is like a bullet, except there are a million trillion incels spamming it in all directions.

Attached: 1557368821234.jpg (722x349, 91K)

Don't need grain silos when you have no grain, comrade

Just watched Episode 2. You're overreacting a little bit.

As for the episode itself, a solid 7/10, bit of a downgrade after the stellar first episode, but that was to be expected. Episode 1 threw us right into the chaos of it all, the 2nd episode needed to establish things more.

Looking forward to the 3rd episode.

Attached: 1556821255339.png (1201x796, 955K)

this is what an economic victory looks like

I like my opinion better.

Attached: 15654958439537.png (1188x670, 1.04M)

>Yes. Gorby was that spineless.

Attached: 1554382272411.jpg (692x800, 73K)

Why? Can you explain to me in an easy way?

I somehow don't think radiation would really "fry" a diesel pump.

stay mad hippie, MAGA

>based david dencik is gorbachov
i almost didnt recognize him this episode, nice.

Was Gorbachev a good man, Yea Forums?

The Chernobyl reactor suffered from a design flaw in which at extreme low power level all of the negative feedback systems that were designed to auto-kill neutron flux actually turned into positive feedback loops.
Then they tried to test its performance at extreme low power.

One third of the world's population is also either overweight or obese now, much more in the developed world. We honestly should start eating less, for our own sake as well.

I somehow dont think you comprehend how either a diesel pump, or radiation works

Episode 2 should have been firefighter kino on the roof. Then what was last night, should have been episode 3.

Radiation is such a meme. All 3 guys who went in to open the valve survived. One died in 2005 the other 2 are still alive and working in the nuclear energy sector. Imagine that, they walked into one of the most radioactive places on Earth at the time and all 3 survived.

Only 54 people died as a direct consequence of radiation poisoning.

The total death toll is estimated to be under 4,000. It's still a lot but people made Chernobyl to be this terrifying zombie nightmare.

These are all WHO and other non-Russian organization numbers. Russians claim only 31 people died directly from radiation poisoning.

Of the 600,000 liquidators who worked on the cleanup efforts in close proximity of the plant (inclusing on the roof, shoveling radioactive graphite) less than 6,000 died from anything that can be traced back to their exposure. And that's a figure claimed by the Union of Chernobyl Liquidators who have a dog in the fight because they want increased pensions.

Attached: 1546875363914.jpg (640x640, 70K)

Attached: 1346735826117.jpg (500x491, 39K)

>it didn't kill millions therefore it's no big deal

It didn't, but according to their own testimonies they had issues with the flashlights.

>only 4,000 people died it's a meme

what exactly is his end game? Is he somehow still on the payroll to shill for the long defunct Soviet Union?

So how does radiation work in this case, dr. Science?

Most of the people who died from Chernobyl were already in poor health or smokers. But you have to put it in perspective, more people died from coal power in the last three months, than both Chernobyl and Fukushima.

>I've just spent 120 quid on me hair. If you think I'm puttin a stockin over me head you're very much mistaken.

Attached: victormcguire.jpg (256x192, 6K)

It was morning when E1 ended. By that time, the Kiev firefighters had arrived and most the fires on the ground and on the roof had been extinguished. We already got firefighters in action kino and there are so few episodes and so much stuff to cram in that there's no time for more. We still have hunting pets, cleaning the roof, decontaminating the city, burying the red forest, hospitals and the trial and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

It's nowhere near as big a deal as people make it out to be. If the fact that those 3 guys all survived isn't a clear picture then I don't know what is. Even the show made it look like they're going to their deaths.

Honestly, I'm 100% sure all the radiophobia that's common around the world is propaganda by coal and oil manufacturers. Nuclear is both cleaner and safer.

>had

Clearly you've never worked with russians

worse, he's not a shill, he's doing this for free. he actually thinks it makes him sound smart to say things like
>radiation is such a meme
>only 54 people died of radiation poisoning
we're supposed to think he's some kind of bad ass genius now

UN estimates around one million people in total had shortened lifespans because of the accident.

I think you're underestimating the height of the plant. You would need a very very long conveyor belt to reach that high.

semi-related, in 2016 they built a gigantic steel vault and slid it over the old sarcophagus on tracks to provide extra protection against the ruptured No. 4 reactor. It was quite the feat of engineering.

youtube.com/watch?v=n7aMcKinrWY

Read a book on Fukushima, retards.

Fuck off. All the media that was created around Chernobyl is so absurd. From zombies to mutants to even this alarmist show. Big Coal are rubbing their hands and laughing all the way to the bank.

I'd rather live in Pripyat than within a few miles of a coal power plant.

>If the fact that those 3 guys all survived isn't a clear picture then I don't know what is. Even the show made it look like they're going to their deaths.
Are you trying to suggest that radiation is harmless because these 3 dudes lived?

>Nuclear is both cleaner and safer.
of course it is but that doesn't mean it's harmless or that Chernobyl wasn't a huge fuck up

To learn what exactly?
Are you denying that they thought there would be no issues?

they didn't expect it to incapacitate external power supply, internal diesel generators, and internal batteries

They were overdoing it. Two of those three dudes are still alive today, and the third died of a heart attack.

i watched shin godzilla, i think thats close enough

Like we won't drag you fuckers down with us. Besides, looking at your population stats and the state of South America you will be long gone by the time shit's really getting down here. The brown and simple will inherit the world.

It's way less dangerous than what the media (for some reason) is portraying. I don't know if it's plain ignorance or if it's Big Coal propaganda.

Sure thing, Mr. Retard.

Ever dropped your phone in water? The water and electricronics make bad things happen.
Radiation also makes bad things happen with electronics, just like water.
I could go more in depth, but why the fuck should I?
If you want to prove me wrong, go right.
You'll prove yourself wrong and wind up sterile, or better yet, dead.
Go ahead, prove to me that lethal amounts of radioactive water is safe to pump. Im sure this is a groundbreaking new idea and had you been at chernobyl, you would have single handedly saved the day and then lived a full healthy life afterwards.

All these people talking about doom scenarios is because this show is excellent at having this existential dread looming over you. It's done really well, almost makes me depressed.

baka why didn't somebody just tell them they were gonna survive? woulda made it less scary and difficult

you really are dense.

The southwestern US will become impassably hot and thus present an effective barrier to migration even in the absence of a wall.

>A complete and total catastrophe was averted so it's no big deal.

You are not very smart.

Attached: 1553972630957.jpg (1600x1067, 331K)

>they lived
pretty sure it still would have been scary as fuck at the time I mean they didn't know they were gonna make it and other people were already in the hospital with radiation sickness.

what's with this whole
>those guys lived therefore everything was fine
meme

Hes trying to say that its much more harmless than some autist here try to make.
>take a bath in pool under melting reactor
>live your life as normal human being, work like everyone else no meme stories of rotting bonnes and falling off skin.

>tfw I unironically made that oc

they might've just as well got a billionn trillion rads and started melting. being clear with the consequences was a good choice.
also the soviets could always volounteer people if push comes to shove.

triple doubles confirm truth

>your face when you read that US coal-burning plants release more radioactive isotopes into the atmosphere, soil and water tables than US nuclear plants

Attached: stalker_grass.gif (500x367, 227K)

congrats youre reddit famous i guess

You are aware that the world map is actually a globe and China and India are closer to the US than to Europe?

Which part of an old diesel generator is the electronic part then, retard? And how do you suggest it won't work here, but will work with other irradiated water that they will be pumping later?

Russia and Canada will just shoot them all if they try to come north, and there are large bodies of water in the way otherwise.

and these 2 die of acute radiation sickness.

Look I get that some people are alarmist and there's lots of misconceptions about what radiation sickness actually does but it's equally stupid to suggest that Chernobyl was "no big deal" because those 3 guys happened to live.

Attached: cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpg (1200x675, 229K)

You're the wikireader, aren't you? You don't even need an actual book.
>Prior safety concerns
They got multiple reasonable warnings. They knew that there could be potential issues and ignored it because of the cost, despite potential danger to life.
Of course, you'll get fucked in the ass even harder if you say that. So you go "oh no no bros, we were too cocky". You're already familiar enough with this "ass-covering".

nah Im saying niggers and women are fucking retarded and thats why we dont see more quality tv or film
see GOT and every other thread in the catalog as evidence

>lets make a series about hannibal crossing the alps, maybe the entire punic wars, about the conflict eternal between north africa and the mediterranean. it will be timely and we can call it death to carthage.
>okay. well now we need hannibal to be a black woman. carthage is now wakanda level futuristic and culturally vibrant. we also need an advisor with a mexican accent and tattoos to be the comedic relief. oh and we need hannibal to dab on rome when he's outside the gates.
see everything the BBC has made in the last 20 years.

I'm reading 3.6 Aahhggs on the incelometer
Get to the infirmary and for god's sake have sex

Attached: 1556218526689.gif (588x526, 3.55M)

b-but papa Trump loves coal! get these liberal lies outta here!

You're not supposed to point that out.

th-thanks, it'll always belong to Yea Forums though

Are there seriously retards that see this show as anti-nuclear ?
Jesus christ that's sad

Attached: 5c2391800e19a9c58d9f8dc1874aa80764ea61aa1bc0b0084f2fa400932fb2cc_1.jpg (320x251, 21K)