Detective Pikachu

I thought this was supposed to knock Avengers off the top and make a billion at the box office.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.22.00 AM.png (482x94, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2019/05/06/sensor-tower-pokemon-gos-2019-spending-up-33-from-first-4-months-of-2018/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_video_game_franchises
statista.com/statistics/279111/number-of-cinema-screens-in-china/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It served its purpose. Taking away millions from Endgame and cutting off its remaining legs.

lol

>smaller drop than the previous week
>literally hasn't left a single theater
>legs cut off
wew lad

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.32.14 AM.png (887x145, 33K)

it knocked Avengers off overseas which is the real threat to Avatar

meant for

see Pikachu BTFO Avengers overseas already. Endgame can't even beat Star Wars domestically also, it's getting fucked in both ways. It will never surpass Avatar even without taking inflation into account.

>Pikachu BTFO Avengers overseas already
>45m vs 39m
Do you know what BTFO means?

Attached: btfo.png (641x100, 26K)

>Opened 100 million ahead of Infinity War
>3rd week is the same
ouch

>ouch
Are you seriously trying to spin something negatively about Endgame's box office?

I'm not spinning anything
Infinity War dropped a lot and Endgame is still dropping a lot more and will start grossing less than IW from now on, and that means it will struggle to beat Avatar
It's a fact

Endgame started strong but the grossings after are pathetic. If you do the math, keeping in mind the numbers decrease daily, it won't even come close to pre-inflation Avatar. This is after 21 movies of buildup, James Cameron still shits on Endgame.

Attached: OH NO NO NO NO.png (838x753, 450K)

Why is it that people pretend this movie can only be a success if it beats Avatar?

>moving the goalpost already

Kek

school's not out for another 2 weeks
little chinese kids are being threatened with death if they don't get straight A's
if they're good they are allowed to watch pokemon

>2.48 billion
>pathetic.

Attached: Come on Anon, you're better than this..png (500x230, 178K)

That's what you get for listening to Yea Forums

Why is everything with Ryan Reynolds so overly REDDIT?

The male lead had no charisma and was just there for zionist miscegenation indoctrination of youths. Nothing for anyone to get excitided about or be inspired by just a no i cant pay my loan interest so i will race mix mr shekelstein feeling to the whole movie. Disappointed here anons.

Attached: 1531882897025.jpg (612x472, 60K)

our last hope is chadzilla my bros

Yes, it had a great opening but so did other movies. The reason why Avatar is #1 of all time is because it has consistency. Something that MCU movies and any other film in history lacked.

Deadpool

>it had a great opening but
It made 2.48 billion.
Now shut up.

When did I ever set the goalpost at "beat avatar"? I didn't even mention Avatar.

Better give up that hope

Attached: Screenshot_20190509-143941_Chrome.jpg (1080x1231, 473K)

It had 22 movies buildup over the course of 11 years, had 10x more theaters and population, had a lot of fans already from the comic fanbase.

And it STILL can't top Avatar. Stay mad. Forever.

Attached: 1540392492402.png (247x242, 89K)

They expected Detective Pikachu to be massive going by the amount of theaters to play and now all they can brag about is "best video-game opening ever!"

As if that was ever anything to brag about.

>I didn't even mention Avatar

>Why is it that people pretend this movie can only be a success if it beats Avatar?

Just how retarded is Yea Forums exactly?

>And it STILL
Made 2.48 billion.
Yes is did make a ton of dough. Pretty cool, I'm gonna watch it again.

>capeshit box office warriors
Why does it matter to you how rich some jew in Hollywood got? You won't see a dime of it either way.

Attached: marvelsoy.png (434x524, 244K)

That was me responding to someone mentioning it, you tard.

It's already a financial success and the #2 film of all time, so why does it matter if it keeps making money if it doesn't beat Avatar?

>it made a ton of dough
so did a hundred other movies, with everything endgame had going for it failed to reach avatar and even failed to be good. It's shit compared to Infinity War

>had 10x more theaters and population
false
>had a lot of fans already from the comic fanbase
Also false

The rest is true though.

DCucks, in their desperation, have turned into Avatar fags

Soon they will become Gone with the Wind fags

Because it proves people who said DP would beat it wrong.

Compare how many theaters there were in China and USA. Or the rest of world when Avatar came out to today. Compare the population too.

C O P E

>with everything endgame had going for it
Succeeded in entertaining me and making 2.48 billion.
Pretty good.

Piracy

maybe they should go back in time and beat Avatar when it was still young lmao

C O P E

>less than $60 million
>couldn't beat a movie in its THIRD weekend
>will lose to John Wick next weekend
What happened to that "biggest franchise in history" bullshit, Yea Forums?

Dumbass, summer vacation in Asia doesn't start until the end of July, and only lasts for one month.

>piracy didn't exist in 2009
How zoomer are you?

Cool, Avatar entertained more and made more. Your single experience doesn't matter at all.

Not at this scale

Pokemon is way past its prime. PokeGo was a fad that's now over. The 90's craze is over. Now kids are playing Fortnite and watching capeshit. They don't care about Pokemon and Nintendo.

Proving Yea Forums wrong isn't as impressive as you think it is

I mean it happens almost every day

Of course not, because the population has increased and living standards aswell.

>he didn't even try to compare because he knows I'm right

I accept your concession.

>Your single experience doesn't matter
To you.
I care about by my experience. Endgame was entertaining and has 2.48 billion so far.

As long as DC is put in its rightful place in the gutter, I wont even mind seeing xmen films succeed

Personally I find the idea of a talking Pikachu way less endearing than one that actually acts like a Pikachu

Yep, that's a 10x increase!

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 10.01.02 AM.png (588x468, 39K)

>entertained more
Come on. Are we really going to pretend Avatar is a good movie now?

>Pokemon is way past its prime
It might be past its prime, but it's still a massive franchise.
The thing that "biggest franchise in the world" idiots don't understand is that merch & video game success doesn't translate to movie success.

Even the most successful video game movies are middling at best.

no
nooo

Yes, to you. Obviously since you're here vehemently defending it you care more than just your singular experience. And the fact is, with all its advantages Endgame failed to beat Avatar or even be as good of a movie as I.W. Your last (you), enjoy.

>Your single experience doesn't matter at all
Neither does yours.

>but it's still a massive franchise.
Even for video game standards, not really.

>"yes that growing population totally doesn't defeat my own argument"

Congrats. You played yourself.

>And the fact is
Endgame made 2.48 billion. Yes, I'm well aware.

Based kids
Fuck Nintendont

>as good of a movie as I.W.
IW wasn't good you brainlet. None of the capeshit movies are, except maybe Winter Soldier and TDK

>I thought
well you're clearly not too good at that

Come on. Are we really going to pretend capeshit are good movies now?

>couldn't beat a 10 year old movie about cgi blue cats
LMAO

All I was doing was pointing out that your 10x claim was fucking retarded. Don't move the goalposts now.

This is the only list that matters. These are the only films that matter

Any "good" films not in this list are basically overpriced art movies

Attached: Screenshot_20190513-231417~2.png (1080x1403, 200K)

Quote something before you wreck yourself

Attached: 7kek.png (400x300, 139K)

>hurr why must engame beat avatar to be good lmao nice moving goalposts
>durr pikachu didn't beat endgame it's clearly a massive failure even though it's nr. 2 at the box office lmao

Attached: tiresome.jpg (807x659, 42K)

>only the #5 movie of all time
complete failure

>Endgame is on that list
Nice!

Attached: Good taste.jpg (1280x720, 407K)

why do avaturds never mention how avatar was in the theaters for like 30 fucking weeks? endgame made like 2.5 billion in 3 weeks already

You know the audience is not infinite, right? Insane amount of demand was burned in the first 2 weeks and still Endgame will make around 700 million more than Infinity War when all is said and done.

>expecting a 3 hour movie to have legs

Because endgame will only last 1 month. No staying power at all

People are content with seeing chinese hardsubbed camrips of the film. Says a lot about the "quality" of the movie

>30 fucking weeks?
Wow, I'm gonna count profits from Infinity War for EndGame as well.
30 weeks is no fair comparison

>Pokemon Go was a fad
venturebeat.com/2019/05/06/sensor-tower-pokemon-gos-2019-spending-up-33-from-first-4-months-of-2018/
You cucks are so, lol.
LARGEST
FRANCHISE
EVER
Cope capecuck, cope.

Source?

>caring about capeshit

That has nothing to do with scope or popularity and everything to do with them applying whale-abusing gameplay mechanics.

This is like saying Fate Grand Order is the biggest franchise ever because it makes billions of the backs of a few ten thousand whales.

A movie like Endgame burns really bright and really fast while Avatar was a slow, but consistent burn. In the end the result will be similar.

>abloo abloo muh goalposts
Cope cuck.

We're talking about popularity, not revenue. Go suck on Nintendo's dick all you like but Pokemon's POPULARITY has been on steep decline since the PokeGO fad ended.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises
Get lost nintencuck. Pokemon isn't even top 10.

That's how well people liked it. It wasnt just some fad-of-the month popcorn movie. It was a revolutionary spectacle

Absolutely seething.
Also, source on Pokemons decline.

lmao how fucking poor are you people that you can only see one film a month

Clearly they don't consider the knockoff web browser pokemon games for quantifying popularity

Pokemon crater was my jam

My friends don't play it nincel, that's my source. Get lost!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_video_game_franchises

literally retarded

How does that post in any way imply I can't go see movies repeatedly or that I'm even a fan of either one.

the average movie goer only sees like 7 or 8 movies a year

Punjabi education shining through

Avatar and Gone With The Wind are far superior to capeshit, kid

>Can't put "#1 Box Office" tag in their posters now
OH NONONONONO

Go on, hide behind your masks DCucks

It is the biggest franchise, live action movies aren't where they make their money. The original animated movie came out at the peak of Pokemania and didn't make that much compared to the heavy hitters. People were foolish to think it would automatically translate to success for a live action adaptation of a spinoff game

>mobile link
Also Pokemon is literally number 3 on that list, and that's only because it has two separate entries for Mario.

Without mentioning visuals, what about Avatar is better than literally any capeshit?

You mean the movie that relied on having it mandatory to watch in 3D which inflated its box office? If we adjust for the 3D ticket prices, how much has Avatar actually made then?

Attached: 13397628_1815925545305305_801831243_n.jpg (480x480, 32K)

I notice that you're only looking at the domestic numbers while ignoring that overseas, its crushing it.

Likable and memorable characters, iconic dialogue, and a satisfying antagonist among many others

>Likable and memorable characters...
Only that soldier with a face scare from "some mean bush" in (?) is a memorable character.

Attached: Wut la Wut.jpg (576x688, 75K)

Are you seriously implying that Avatar characters are more memorable?
Please walk down a crowded street and ask every person to name three characters from Avatar. Then ask them to name five Avengers.
Which task do you think more people will succeed at?

Youve exposed yourself as a brainlet

Jake Sully
Sigourney Weaver
Blue Gamora (I know they're called N'avi, but I have no fucking idea what her name is)

Does that count? Did I do it?

>being this delusional about how movies work
Yea Forums is always wrong, face it

Attached: WAKANDA.jpg (1000x800, 213K)

I can do better:

Eywa
Toruk
Toruk makto
Ikran
Neytiri
Generic gray haired grumpy general
Tall skinny stoner nerd

>exposed yourself
What?
I'm being honest, that merc Commander protecting the unobtainium is the only person I recall.
He hated the blue people a started a war with them.

Attached: What.png (627x620, 61K)

>Interesting hard-scifi worldbuilding mixed with tribal elements without going full Wakanda
>Showcases the duality of man a la Heart of Darkness
>Explores the implications of technological breakthroughs with realistic requirements and logistics concerns

Science Fiction > Capeshit because science fiction digs deep where capeshit handwaves

>digs deep
It said literally nothing that a children's movie didn't say 20 years earlier. I don't care if "Avatar = Fern Gully" is a meme, it's true.
At least non-Snyder capeshit doesn't pretend to be profound.

>Eywa
>Toruk
>Toruk makto
>Ikran
None of these sound like names from the movie.
>Toruk
That's a game.

>Science Fiction > Capeshit
Are you daft?
Comic movies are SCI Fi and Fantasy

Attached: MCU War Machine.jpg (1920x2931, 927K)

Ngl im still waiting for an avatar mmorpg set in their planet. I'd join the clan of the thunderhoof beast riders, or maybe a rogue shadowcat tamer

Eywa is the world tree, ikran are the flying lizards, toruk is the biggest baddest reddest flying lizard, toruk makto is the title of the warrior that rides toruk

Culture yourself, swine

literally lmao'ing my ass off right now

>implying literally anyone knows those names

God, I don't remember any of that.
>world tree
That was a thing?
> toruk makto is the title of the warrior that rides toruk
Wow, talk about forgettable.

Fern Gully doesn't show a dystopian earth and a disabled veteran who's fates are intertwined with the interstellar trade of rare offworld materials. Avatar is more like Dune than Fern Gully, in both theme and production.

When magic and handwaving constitute the rules of the setting, then it is fantasy. Science fiction demands naturalistic, consistent worldbuilding based on real world scientific principles. Endgame just word-vomitted some vocabulary from calc III and made horribly inconsistent time travel. Capeshit is not sci-fi

>iconic dialogue
LMAO

It was interesting to me because I love detailed fantasy worlds, but yeah it was really low impact overall.

I wouldnt have minded if it was just a documentary of the planet ala planet earth

>based on real world scientific principles
Like plugging your ponytail into a tree?

Hairsex, hairbinded contract pets, and tree-powered soul internet

>Capeshit is not sci-fi
> SCI FI and Fantasy
You need to get yourself a dictionary

Attached: ca.png (1084x950, 173K)

>I love detailed fantasy worlds
Ditto
>I wouldnt have minded if it was just a documentary of the planet
Agreed.

you do realize 70 percent of people who watch these movies are kids without any actual income, right?

He was talking about movie screens you smooth brain.

Unique interactions between aliens on alien planets are a common trope in science fiction. Neural networks are common as well. Blending the two concepts into a planet where the aliens have evolved alongside natural deposits of super-conductors is just a step beyond.

>He was talking about movie screens you smooth brain.
Yep, 10x!!

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 11.05.12 AM.png (882x547, 314K)

>hurr durr, I can solve a decades long discussion on the lines between science fiction and fantasy by appealing to the meme-tomato source
Capeshit is fantasy, so it makes sense that it would be included on a list that features both science fiction and fantasy.

Question:
What will Yea Forums's excuse be if Avatar 2-5 don't break $2 billion?

>Disney sabotaged Iron Jim

How many more theatres are there in china compared to 10 years ago. Keep in mind they built tens of thousands of miles of highways, high-speed rails, and subway systems in the same time period.

Honestly I don't care anymore because Disney owns Avatar now so they win no matter what. They have to be stopped by other means.

That was rhetorical, the answer is almost 14x more: statista.com/statistics/279111/number-of-cinema-screens-in-china/

>advertise 3D and sell tickets at high price
>keep it in theaters for months
>re-release it just to earn a few more millions
Why is Cameron such a dishonest director?

>hurr durr, I can solve a
Dumb question Anons stupidity raised.
Comic movies are Science fantasy. It's been solved.

Attached: Ca2.png (1302x936, 80K)

theaters =/= screens :O)

>thinking an half-animated kids movie is gonna beat avengers

>wikipedia
user, you're right that capeshit is sci-fi/fantasy, but your methods are complete shit.

Avengers IS a half-animated kids movie though

but avengers is a half-animated kids movie

>you're right
Thanks

Attached: Up. The cost of smiles.jpg (1920x1080, 361K)

Considering that Endgame was sold as the biggest movie event ever starring all these different characters from many other movies, the 10 years it took of build-up, the insane amount of marketing it had and its the huge budget, the fact that it couldn't beat a movie about Pocahontas in space that came out 10 years ago it's truly sad and pathetic.

At least the Avengers is a more profitable brand for merchandising. You can have that, I guess.

>the fact that it
Made 2.4 is based.

Is there race mixing in the movie?

>Avatar was a massive success
>therefore no other movie ever counts as successful

>Science Fantasy
Meh, I guess I can live with that middle ground.

The incels on Yea Forums are always fucking wrong LMAO

I remember the posts about how this was gonna take down the Mouse or something, quite hilarious in retrospect i gotta say

>Aquaman after third weekend: $260,024,160 ($940,000,000)
>Aquaman after completed run: $335,061,807 ($1,147,761,807)
>Endgame after third weekend: $723,499,739 ($2,485,499,739)
By my calculations:
>Endgame after completed run assuming Aquaman's legs, which isn't happening: $932,286,944 ($3,034,852,841)
>Endgame after completed run, if the legs are about 40% of Aquaman's (at the worst): $807,014,621 ($2,772,405,466)
This isn't taking into account factors such as
-week by week release
-John Wick 3 and Detective Pikachu
-potential Memorial Day boost and Spider-Man Far From Home boost (FFH could earn another ten or so million since it's directly connected to Stark, Endgame, and a potential multiverse. Captain Marvel received a similar boost from Endgame)
-any potential campaigns to keep seeing Endgame until it beats Avatar
-the fact that Endgame's definitely going to stick around longer than Aquaman
-future re-releases
Who knows how bad the legs could get with time?
I officially give Endgame a 50% chance of overtaking Avatar

That was WB’s plan.
Shazam was the Trojan Horse.
Detective Pikachu was the attack.
And Godzilla will be the nuke.

>Science fiction demands naturalistic, consistent worldbuilding based on real world scientific principles

Guess Star Wars isn't sci fi then

Why are Americans so dumb?

And none of them affect the mouse even a little bit.

some autist on reddit already made the calculations using Infinity War's drops after 3rd weekend and it would miss 1 million to beat Avatar
But it's dropping a lot more than Infinity War

It's not, though. It's space fantasy. It's about as far from hard sci-fi as you can get.

>some autist on reddit
why the fuck were you there

Are you retards seriously going for this again
How many times must you be proven wrong
i give up

Keep being delusional. Your so called biggest event ever couldn't beat a 10 years old movie that didn't have the same amount of hype. That's pathetic.

>Your so called biggest event
Made 2.4
Glad I could bask in the positive vibes it created, it's good being a comic fan right about now.

Attached: avengers__infinity_war__by_chickenzpunk-dc9555n.jpg (1024x1536, 648K)

I wasn't, it was posted here

I see through the lies of the jedi

Attached: 30ulu8~2.jpg (500x485, 43K)

because it isn't the pokemon movie every pokemon fans dreamt about since their childhood
It's a loose adaptation of a spinoff with some heavy questionnable choice in design, casting and story
It's success because fuck all of you thinking 58M is a flop is 100 % because it's Pokemon, that's a fact

Not one of those is true.

Still replying to bait

>Yea Forums is always wrong

>only thing Yea Forums is right about is how it's always wrong
>however, in being right about that, sometimes it's right
>so it doesn't even manage to be right about always being wrong
IT'S NOT FAIR

Is there anything more pathetic than watching a unironically watching a children's video game movie?

crap list is crap.
soi reviews.
no 2001? ESB?
into the trash.

Attached: bso-734627.png (480x600, 554K)

Automaticaly tagging things you doesnt like as "pathetic"

>my CGI shitshow is better than your CGI shitshow!

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Zombieland Saga - 08 [720p].mkv_snapshot_22.49_[2018.11.24_13.55.53].png (1280x720, 1.55M)

>t.watched defective pikachu on opening night

But that's based on the number of films that attract their interest, it's not like average people think to themselves they've seen enough movies for the year when they reach 7 or 8. I doubt people will not watch endgame to watch the pikachu thing.

Why was the opening so small? And why did it take 34 weeks to gross that?

Constant small stream will impregnate >>>> one big load wont impregnate

>John Wick 3
the John Wick series is popular for an R rated action franchise, but it's not on the same page as the Marvel films

because unlike what redditors claim people loved the movie and word of mouth carried it

2.4B in 3 weeks, it will reach 2.8B in the endgame