Ingmar Bergman

Ingmar Bergman
>“I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual, and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a fucking bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin, Féminin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.”

Orson Welles:
>“His gifts as a director are enormous. I just can’t take him very seriously as a thinker — and that’s where we seem to differ, because he does. His message is what he cares about these days, and, like most movie messages, it could be written on the head of a pin.”

Werner Herzog:
>“Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung-fu film."

What's their problem with Godard?

Attached: jean-luc-godard.jpg (600x800, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9BoL5XICGZg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hes french

Jealousy

youtu.be/9BoL5XICGZg

>Bergman
>Welles
>Herzog
>having any reason to feel jealous of other filmmakers

what problem? godard is a hack

because he's a commie piece of shit that's probably why

Godard is undeniably an important innovator and his films are very well made, but everyone you quoted is right that Godard is a faux intellectual. His films look pretty but the writing is insufferably smug and shallow.

My nigga, dont post shit about these faggot ass white dudes
That shit borin and not cool
Feel me?
Jfc nigga yall some nerds

The funny thing is that none of those directors have made a movie that can top Godard's best.

>bergman
death is scary!!!!
>welles
pride is bad!!!!!
>herzog
literally who

all pseuds with no deep message

I've been going through that entry level art house chart that gets thrown around here and, for what it's worth, Breathless is by far the shittiest fucking film I've watched from that list. Couldn't fucking stand anything about it except the girl because she was cute as a button. The film made me physically ill.

Bergman and Welles did. You're probably right about Herzog.

Go hump a duck

Give a try to bande a part and vivre sa vie. If you don't like them you probably won't enjoy his post 68 films either, but you may try weekend. If none of that works and you have an interest in film as a purely visual experience you may try adieu au langage.
If none of that works don't bother. Nobody is going to be on your case for not enjoying one of the most pseud filmmakers alive, especially on this capeshit board.
My favorite film of his is histoire(s) du cinema, but you may want to get through the rest of that chart before checking it out.

Nosferatu and Aguirre are absolutely based though

is anything made by herzog other than aguirre even worth a watch

Fitzcarraldo. Also he makes good documentaries.

>a swede, anglo, and a german wouldn’t have a reason to be jealous of a frenchman

Do I have to give you the full history of Europe now or shall I do it later?

did you timetravel from 1800?

Shut up surrender monkey.

I’ll give you a hint: one is of European blood and the rest are not.

Thanks, I'll think about givin' them a shot, but Breathless left such a bad taste in my mouth I can't imagine I'll be in the mood to try again for a while.

He's Swiss