Why did the Last Jedi bomb but Captain Marvel do so well? I mean, don't they have almost the same audience?

Why did the Last Jedi bomb but Captain Marvel do so well? I mean, don't they have almost the same audience?

Attached: 4444.jpg (474x711, 76K)

because brie is a qt, and daisy is a slut

Because the Marvel Brand>Star Wars

No meme answers. I genuinely don't get it. Neither film was liked by audiences and both were divisive (for different reasons) and both films reach similar target groups

>Why did the Last Jedi bomb
It didn't; it made $1.3B and a net profit of more than $400M.

Yea Forums not liking a movie =/= it bombed

Captain Marvel didn't do well. Disney bought out all the theaters. There was no buzz about it whatsoever.

>both were divisive
Only on here, and the opinions expressed here are not always indicative of what normie audiences like and don't like.

Bombed in relation to the projections. It was expected to hit 2 billion just like The Force Awakens

And both mad 1billion+ at the box office
What's your point?

This. Also people point out that it made lesser than Force Awakens but Empire Strikes Back also made less than A New Hope despite it being praised as the best one.

captain marvel ticked all the right boxes without doing anything special. this is actually the marvel formula. side from a few films most of them are boring but do the job

TLJ subverted too many expectations

Captain Marvel has pretty low audience scores. Not just on RT but on other sites including Metacritic.

Because it was review bombed into oblivion by a certain group of people that were angry by what the leading actress said about them.

The Force Awakens over 2 billion but Last Jedi 1 billion. The projections were way the fuck off and it's considered a bomb because how it underperformed. That's why I'm asking, why did it underperform but not Captain Marvel? Did people just enjoy Captain Marvel more? I'm surprised

Last Jedi was supposedly review bombed too but Captain Marvel was a success, but Last Jedi didn't. I don't understand, even if both films were review bombed

Samuel Jackson did an amazing job and carried the movie, he a better job that Larson

otherwise the movie was just average, not bad or good, and it was the origin of a superhero so there was no expectations to live up for

It made huge numbers because of Infinity War, she was supposed to be the Key to defeat Thanos so it had good box office numbers

TLJ instead shit on the entire star wars franchise, they could have fixed the flaws of the Force Awakens and set up for the final movie

but instead they added new characters nobody gave a fuck about, did absolute nothing for character development on the existing ones, and made a joke out of Luke. Snoke who had being hyped as the big evil boss was just killed off and Kylo lost at the end of the movie which gives no point for the sequel to start

that's why in the star wars 9 trailer absolutely nothing happens, there's no plot and they had to bring back the emperor to milk the last drops of the rotting corpse of this franchise

don't be surprised if Guardians of the Galaxy 3 out grosses SW9

It's scores were definitely mediocre (because it was a mediocre movie), but mediocre is not the same thing as low or terrible.

Attached: Untitled.png (1704x577, 59K)

So most people don't care about the political stuff? I know a lot of people who don't like feminism or SJWS say she was taken out of context. Either they're coping or she was actually taken out of context

No it wasn't. The second instalment never is as successful in Star wars as the first and Disney knew that

Sure, but the Last Jedi was better reviewed

This whole movie looks like it was invented to make autist like me question whether really actually exist

Well, they didn't anticipate to make literally 1 billion less than the previous movie. That's a huge fucking drop in this kind of franchise

Don't know about others but I saw it because I assumed I'd need to get the character's backstory to understand a key element of Endgame. It was a clever con by Disney.

>why did it underperform but not Captain Marvel?
People wanting to hurry up and see it in the theater and not wait until it came out on Netflix so they would be prepped for Endgame the following month. Everyone knew at that point that MCU movies are like episodes in a TV show, and you need to watch them all to understand everything that's going on.

Star Wars main saga movies, meanwhile, are spaced two years apart, leaving plenty of time to see it, wait until it comes out on Netflix, etc.

tl;dr: there was a high sense of urgency to see CM quickly that TLJ didn't have.

>So most people don't care about the political stuff?
If I cared about the bullshit coming out of every Hollywood actor's mouth IRL, I wouldn't watch any movies at all. Only people on here seem to waste time caring about that.

For comparison, Avengers did 1.5 billion, and Age of Ultron 1.4. Imagine if Age of Ultron had only made 1 billion. Would have been a big underperformance but not fully a flop.

It was the only way to make people curious and interested in the character. Her movie and Incredible Hulk are the only ones you can skip and not miss anything. She could be edited out of Endgame and it would not make a big difference.

Endgame shilling, no competetion, and chinese love marvel

I find it funny that even normies I talk to dont like Brie. White males are heavily CM's biggest audience.

It underperformed a lot, killed a ton merch sales, and pretty much killed a lot of hype. It's the lowest rated star wars movie for a reason (with audiences, fuck "critics")

Came out just before Endgame.

>She could be edited out of Endgame and it would not make a big difference.
Without her, IM and Nebula would have died and set adrift in space forever.

Because Endgame was coming out and you needed to see this to understand the story.
Last Jedi didn't bomb either

Children do not want the toys.

Captain Marvel was at least a competent movie with enough world building that satisfied MCU fans.

With just some minor edits you could make it look like Tony and Nebula repaired the ship and flew to Earth. He did say they managed to get 48 hours of flight.

>don't they have almost the same audience?
No.

its an old investment tactic, Captain Marvel actually didnt sell like shit, but it wasnt as good as expected. Disney buys tickets and theaters in foreign areas like China and shit because they are so corrupt and easily bought.

Its a pretty standard tactic and even DC employed it with Aquaman

Attached: 1557071407075.gif (245x280, 1.3M)

They had to buy their own tickets because Captain Marvel is meant to become the new main character after Tony Stark. There's talk that Brie is going to be in 6-7 more Marvel movies. if her movie had "flopped", then that could have hurt Endgame and phase 4. While her movie didn't officially flop, the reception for both the character and the actress has been pretty bad.

>film that teases the return of Luke Skywalker after 30 years makes 2 Billion
Reasonable.
>follow-up film that actually sees Luke return to the screen properly doesn't actually feature Luke but a depressed mentally challenged developmentally retarded histrionic lying coward wearing his skin and sees huge dropoff after 2 weeks, making 1/3 less than TFA
Also reasonable.

No. The Star Wars fanbase has comically high standards and the MCU fanbase comically low standards.Both are faggots.

>nobody had any interest in seeing Luke return and was harshly disappointed when they were presented with Jake

no

right, but getting back to the point of the thread. Disney sees starwars as a legacy money maker. the still make bank off the original releases. the new stuff is just to keep the train going.

Star Wars will do a 180 with its next release and retcon the last movie. moving forward will be Rey as a jedi master who brings back the belief as a skywalker. the next generation will be some random hodgepodge of diversity kids.

Attached: 1545871297051.gif (250x250, 407K)

Of course she was taken out of context. People forcing that stuff don't give a shit about movies. They were just looking for a statement to take out of context in order to weaponize. They attack Brie Larson because she works for Disney and they attack Disney because they think it's part of some evil jewish conspiracy to destroy western culture. It's a stupid conspiracy theory that reactionaries trot out whenever they think society is becomin to accepting of progressive values.

How tf did captin marvel do that fucking good yet absolutely no one cared abt it?

>still trying to get the "paid for their own tickets!" meme to fly

Holy shit just kill yourselves already

Attached: Larson belly.jpg (633x765, 86K)

this

iits a super common practice and now that disney basically owns movie theaters they can dictate whatever they want. there is no independent sales metric

How does she look so old but young at the same time?