How did Thanos go from saying kino lines every second to some Saturday morning villain in Endgame?

How did Thanos go from saying kino lines every second to some Saturday morning villain in Endgame?

Attached: banos.jpg (680x555, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RYPngRG4zf8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was an entirely different character that was put there so they could say the Avengers defeated Thanos.

>I am inevitable
>not kino

Attached: smith.jpg (755x1058, 55K)

>gets owned immediately afterwards
Nah, it made Thanos a non-entity in endgame to remove his memories of everything that main timeline him did.

People related a little too much to Infinity War Thanos so they had to remind everyone in Endgame that Thanos was indeed the villain by making him a cartoon character.

It even cheapened the final battle because the Thanos they were fighting wasn't the one who genocided half the universe.

And then rather than stick to the measured goals of IW Thanos, who believed he was doing good, he says he'll outright destroy the universe and remake it with himself as a god because people are "ungrateful" in a timeline that from his perspective hadn't even happened yet.

They really fucked up by killing present thanos in the first 20 minutes. The past thanos didn't have as much gravitas nor as much development as the one in Infinity War, so he felt more one dimensional and generic.

He saw how even after achieving his goals and making life better people were still ungrateful to the point of going back in time to stop him. Of course he would want to destroy everything and rebuild from scratch, so nobody tries shit.

>the Thanos they were fighting wasn't the one who genocided half the universe.
Except it was

It's actually the other way around, OP.

Y'know, since Endgame Thanos is actually pre-Infinity War Thanos.

It literally doesn't matter that they killed Normal Thanos. He won.

Attached: 4s.jpg (1024x426, 41K)

>Y'know

Attached: u.png (497x617, 15K)

You know, you're a huge faggot

Better?

he didn't. Every being he erased was brought back

He doesn't know that. He died content. What greater joy is there?

Better.

Attached: 1525710854835.jpg (833x1000, 70K)

To that Thanos, he won. I mean, yeah he eventually lost but he died a winner.

That's his cake to take.

Eh, it's an overreaction. If anything a battle where nu-old Thanos goes back in time to kill all the avengers from the past before they could become the ones that try to undo him in the future would have been more in character while having high stakes.

I like to think that thanos was pissed seeing he got killed in the future, his daughters betray him and nobody is as grateful as he expected them to be. That conjunction of factors along with the avengers just recently (for him) having defeated loki in NY made him pissed. Plus the fact that he had to have less screen time forced the writers to make him more one dimensional.

>kino lines
>capeshit watcher
>thinks it was good once

Attached: soyim.jpg (277x182, 14K)

The same way Odin was supposed to be wise in the first Thor but ended up being a huge fucking retard in the second.

>Thanos who went through the trials of the infinity stones is a different character from Thanos who still hasn't given up on the idea of manual genocide
I should fucking hope so. What the fuck is wrong with you?

That was my main proble with the movie. The Thanos that actually killed 50% didnt get rightfully punished, he died instantly and at the time knowing he had fulfilled his goal.

Seething

He literally saw IW Thanos's last words, he knew he had achieved his goal in this timeline. Now he realised his plan wouldn't work. Were you even paying attention?

No, it was legit the only 'good' Marvel movie.

It's a movie about superheroes user.

>a character can't be good even if he's in something 'shit'
Ledger was in capeshit and his Joker was pretty great m8.

Only because there were people left alive who could try to stop him. The goal past Thanos wanted would be the same one that main timeline Thanos achieved, he'd just want to ensure it would have more permanence.
There was no need to throw out his desired "end state", just to reevaluate how to prevent it from being undone. Mainline Thanos thought he had made the snap irreversible by destroying the infinity stones; the only thing time-travel Thanos would want to change about his plan is preventing time travel from undoing or preventing the snap. He wouldn't suddenly want to destroy all of the universe, when his original intention was to "save" it by reducing the population by 50%.

Life isn't fair, you don't always get what you want. It was far more realistic than keeping him alive to see his plan fail. You sound like the Comics Code Authority people who demand every bad deed must have an appropriate punishment.

People wanted to make sure he was seen as the villains so they dont try his depopulation idea

>That was my main proble with the movie. The Thanos that actually killed 50% didnt get rightfully punished
Don't watch Oldboy. Either one.

Because they confronted the past-thanos that wasnt driven by hate and sorrow as opposed to the old one that killed off entire populations and sacrifised his own daughter to reach his goals

Why is it so hard for anti-capeshit brainlets to understand this movie

So that Thanos was never actually defeated? Must be kinda frustrating for those who actually care about the avengers

Failure is an important part of writing good characters. If they always succeed according to plan it gets boring.

Which is why the Avengers failed to actually think through their "We gotta win whatever it takes" plan and doubled the population in a world that already adjusted to half its resources.

oldboy is such a rollercoaster of emotions

Attached: 1557270977447.jpg (648x1024, 124K)

Their title is "the avengers", not "the benefactors". They do what they want and that's it

Those fucks already avenged they overstepped their boundaries.

Now look at them. Ripping open multiple dimensions and shit....

... they're gonna eat a whole lot of shit once the incursion happens for being a bunch of meddling fucks.

Because he IS a Saturday morning villain, the events of Infinity War were just his life's purpose and calling so it was a spiritual journey for him and more or less just a day in his life. The Thanos from Endgame is the Thanos from Guardians of the Galaxy and thats how he actually acts 90% of the time, illustrating to us how much of an insane psycopath he is by getting us to sympathize with his perspective. He is Frieza but masculine, frankly these movies arent even complicated and I feel stupid typing this out for OP.

Based justiceboner user.

Nah its more like a minor nuisance, instill enjoyed the movie. If i wanted to nitpick it id mention the fact that thanos with the gauntlet had more trouble against 5 avengers than without it and against an army

>wielding an infinity stone drains some of your energy
Easy explanation for why he was stronger in Endgame.

The reverse snap also brought back all the cows and vegetation which were included in Thanos's genocide.

I'll give you cows but do you think Thanos was thinking of vegetables (not... humans in vegetative state) when snapping?

Kinda serious question.

>more power makes you weaker

no, but the combined power of the stones takes a toll on gauntleteer (hulk, stark)

Holding a single stone has been shown to disintegrate people. There is no way Thanos can wield multiple and not get weaker from it, even with the Gauntlet.

>You could not live with your own failure, and where did that bring you? Back to me.
> In all my years of conquest, violence, slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much.
Endgame Thanos is great.

Endgame sucked ass. They kill the REAL Thanos right at the beginning. From that point on, who gives a fuck about anything

They literally downgraded him in Endgam to a generic bland villain who's evil for the sake of it.
Infinity War is leagues ahead of Endgame it's not even funny.

I thought that it was lame. After all his talk in Infinity War about being above good and evil, doing what was right, showing great respect to his enemies, he was turned into just another galactic baddie. I know Thanos in the comics is way more evil for essentially shit'n giggles (and Death pussy) but they should have stuck with the character they made in IW.

I dunno why they did it, I thought the first movie's Thanos was generally well received.

Would this Thanos in this picture really have destroyed the Infiniti Stones? I doubt it. Endgame's Thanos was a totally different character and made stupid decisions just to push the plot along. Real Thanos would have held onto the stones to ensure the universe stayed balanced

Which in itself is totally contrived shit. How would being master of reality not mean being able to hold yourself together?

Thats why time travel is gay

If you devoted yourself to doing something you thought were good, then did that thing, and see the people you thought would worship you actually hate you and try their hardest to undo what you did, would you not also get mad? Thanos is a flawed character, having him stay as emotionally detached in Endgame would have been unrealistic.

Thanos in Endgame: "I don't even know who you are". LITERALLY a line that he says. It's so weak that they took this shitty time travel approach to the story

I had talk with someone and they gave the based idea that endgame wouldve been WAY better if along with showing the avengers crying about their loss it showed that the world actually benefited from thanos’ snap which wouldve given him the moral high ground for the movie

Destroying the stones made sense though. Present Thanos was already severely weakened from using the gauntlet and thus could be defeated and the gems taken back.

Daily reminder Thanos was trying to save the universe from Galactus and not from the lack of resources.

Yes, that thanos died knowing his victory was secure. So happy ending for sad-thanos.

You guys are women or tourists with no concept of story telling.

You dont know jack shit about the comics, all of this is consistent with his comic character and you're not an expret for having read comic plot exerpts online. It is literally the same character, from his perspective all his actions are just because he is FuCkIng INsANe so no shit when you swap protagonist role to Captain America Thanos looks just as vain and "stupid" as he was portrayed in Infinity War. All his emotional development was shown in private, away from heroes, so how exactly would they see him as morally conflicted and deep? If anything that just makes me appreciate the movies together even more for using Thanos's massiah complex, the ultimate arrogance, to show how the Avengers struggle with grandiosity and purpose like any man.

Attached: 1427679080564.jpg (442x239, 61K)

He was weakened because he destroyed the stones and burnt the shit out of himself

Kinda hard to show the world benefitted from the snap when a large portion of the population was suffering from PTSD and depression.

Not to say your friend is an idiot since that would have been a good idea on paper but executing it would have been really really difficult.

Like, imagine genocide and someone saying "Well, look on the bright side!". Would really take you out of it more than any quippy lines ever could.

>time travel
>story telling
You sound like a legit shit eater, you'd eat shit right out of Disney's ass

to master the reality stone would be to trip on Acid 24/7 for the rest of eternity. You cant just fuck with it all the time and do whatever.

Attached: The Thanos Quest 02-042.jpg (1988x3056, 2.42M)

Thanos was always a fucking genocidal prick, he just has a messiah complex.
youtu.be/RYPngRG4zf8
He sees that he wins in the future and then ends up dying, are you telling me this dude wouldn't get fucking pissed and try to bend the universe to his will?

Its hard to pull off but one of the arguments thanos used was starvation. A few glimpses of news reports showing starvation in africa had stopped etc. Ofc people would still be sad (that would be the core argument against thanos, that he saved them through the wrong means) but that reality has indeed improved

I meant reality as in everything (in the comics they us the term master of reality iirc) if you can do anything while wielding all stones why cant you be indestructible or heal yourself as well?

Not an argument, the decision to base the plot around the more idealogical and philosophical implications of the emotional ramifications on the travellers rather than the travel itself is sound, clever, and logical. Its on you to explain how this was poorly executed.

Thanos will be back.

How? Mistress Death.

They already met after Thanos snapped everyone away. That little girl, the "vision" of gamorra? That wasn't a vision, it was a manifestation of Mistress Death. She was introducing herself to somebody she thought may be worthy of being her consort. But Thanos wasn't worthy, because he didn't want to kill everyone, he wanted to save half by making the other half cease to exist.

"New" Thanos however, the Thanos that was snapped, he wants to destroy all of reality, he wants to kill everyone and everything, and recreate reality in his own image however he sees fit. And for this, Mistress Death has given him her approval and will soon reveal herself to him while he is "snapped" or "stored" in the soul stone along with his army.

He will be back, and he will be far more reminiscent of the Thanos we know from the comics. Infinity War + Endgame + The Eternals are all Thanos' origin movies. How he became the villain we all know and love, who he was before he went insane and who caused him to go insane. His losses at the hands of the avengers will only cement his resolve and force him to take more desperate measures and be more devilish than before, and he will have even more incentive to push harder and seek new heights of evil, the pursuit of the validation of his mistress, death itself.

THATS THE POINT
FUCKING THOR HAS A MENTAL BREAKDOWN OVER IT YOU DAFT CUNTS

Ok im assuming youre not a comic reader because reality as a concept and thing or person(?)/cosmic entity can mean many different things in Marvel. To answer your question more specifically if that picture didnt, what im trying to say is controlling all of reality would fuck with your mental well being and maybe make you go insane or accidentally fuck up some kind of cosmic law you had no way of knowing existed. So its not like flipping a switch "Reality is the same now, the only universal constant is im invincible lol" you have to be mentally focused on that 24/7 which im saying just sounds like an insane mental task to keep up when you can turn your enemies to bubbles. He probably could heal himself but he chose not to.

Shhh dont ruin it for the normies.

>I HOPE THANOS COME BACK
Imagine being excited to watch the same fucking movie again in another 10 years

> name calling
> proudly boasting of his comic shit knowledge
> arrogant all around

Fuck you dude, the only thing that triggers me in those capeshit movies is shit writing and this was fucking it.
Endgame Thanos is just a Galactic Attila gone blind with rage in the midst of battle, which completely nullifies IW Thanos who took the time to talk and try to spare his worthy opponents.
> "I like you" to Quill
> "You have my respect Stark [...] I hope they remember you."
> Tries to reason Gamora and is shown to actually care about her - as she does too
> "I understand child" to Wanda
> Long chat with Strange for the sake of it because he doesn't feel threatened yet

IW Thanos really felt "inevitable" and where Loki and Ultron both were spiteful of the Avengers, the way he treated them with the respect worthy of fellow warriors reflected positively on him and the villain he was.
Then we have Endgame Thanos, drunk on the idea of his own name and bent on wiping out everything and everyone because for some reason he no longer accepts that his own vision is at odds with everyone else's.
Bull fucking shit, mate. Infinity War is a flawed movie, but Endgame is literally your egneric bland superhero shitshow, its only particularity being the death of a few well established heroes.

Attached: 1454090624100.jpg (540x562, 108K)

Dude, the fact that your omnipotent implies that controlling all of reality is a cake walk.

You're right but it's still an alternate thanos who was under different circumstances, if the IW thanos was revived and acted like this it would be a problem, but that's not what happened

>Never Say Never Again
They're gonna do it. Don't believe it that they won't.
Tony is dead but don't think that 8-10 years they do a James Bond

I hate to say it because maybe you're actually into literature and most Yea Forums posters dont actually watch anything beyond the typical blockbuster, but this conversation puts me at odds as a screenwriter and comic fan. Comics and adaptations of them are western shonen, they exist for cool action, the plot and characters exist to facilitate cool stuff happening that we want to see happen, injecting good writing into that only serves to elevate what is ultimately meaningless.
What im trying to say... Thanos's character arc in IW only existed so that when Captain America punches him in this movie, HIS character arc is validated over Thanos. So your unwillingness to accept that fact seems to be what makes you dislike it, but for me I fucking loved it and the whole movie. I am admitting weakness because you called me out for being arrogant over comic knowledge, which is something I never really saw myself doing.

But, again, the whole point here is Thanos, messiah complex, grandiosity, bad, Avengers, humility, friendship, selflessness, sacrifice, good. I dont see anything wrong with that, I'd say if you're looking for meaning you shouldnt watch capeshit and complain it's lacking.

Attached: 1427320213153.gif (325x203, 1.02M)

I feel like this was the point. It’s a hollow victory, kinda reminds me of MGS4, especially with old cap at the end

He's not omnipotant, the stones only work when he closes his fist and in the Infinity Gauntlet comic he only loses when he trancends to an omnipotent cosmic form and loses his humanitu.

They still prevented the world that thanos was from, from ever having to deal with him

He straight up referred to the destruction of the stones as necessary to avoid being tempted to use them for any other reason. His goal was completed, but he knew if he just left them laying around he'd probably find himself looking for a reason to use them again.

Attached: 1552434550654.gif (517x328, 1.69M)

This. The point is that Infinity War Thanos always won. The Avengers literally had to get a weaker Thanos in order to claima victory. Thats how great Infinity War Thanos was

Do people forget the fact that Thanos won in 14 million other futures? Isn't that the number Strange said?

So technically Thanos is 14,000,000 to 1

Attached: thanosdance2.gif (288x284, 3.12M)

This unfortunately.

Not even just people. Just humans from Earth. Which makes it even more retarded

Attached: DwgUoiSV4AALh9e.jpg (1200x1200, 189K)

Then why for every single character before stones served as power-ups?

it wasn't futures it was a simple probability he was giving the team. it was a 1 in 14 million shot, basically, not a 1 in 14 million alternative realities

It was incredibly unfulfilling and the majority of viewers hated the plot, enough said

I guess I understand your point of view and you may be right when you point out it may be fault for having too high expectations regarding "western shonen".
> injecting good writing into that only serves to elevate what is ultimately meaningless
I guess this is the part I will have a hard time to content myself with. So many comics - graphic novels - can be written really well (shit like Sandman, Watchmen or V for Vendetta, etc ...) so my gut reaction would be to expect Marvelshit to try to achieve this and I guess I end up being disappointed because good writing was never their primary objective, "cool action" is.

If you were not stupid, you would realize that the Thanos in Infinity War versus the Thanos in Endgame were two different characters in different developmental stages of Thanos' character. Five years prior to Infinity War, Thanos was obviously very arrogant and violent- a true conqueror and tyrant that we got a snapshot of in Guardians of the Galaxy 1. For whatever reason, during those five years, however, Thanos had become more philosophical, calm, and calculating. This was why the Thanos in Infinity War was able to win and why the old Thanos was blinded by his arrogance and lost.

You are stupid, OP.

they'll set up the cosmic universe first, probably with galactus in about five years after the fantastic four have been introduced and had a few films out, then a few more like who or what eternity is and the other abstract entities it's "related to" within ten, and we'll probably see thanos return in about ten years or something. but he'll be a secondary villain with the primary villain being death herself.

so it won't be anything like AIW or AEG, he'll be pushed aside pretty easily by the inevitably far superior heroes we'll find along the way or at least upgraded heroes like rune king thor or binary captain marvel or whatever. he'll be used to further the plot then will be pushed aside to reveal the true villain and how the culimination of all the phases prior to this one movie where death is introduced is the releasing of the abstract entity death herself who seeks to, well, kill everything and make reality barren so she becomes the over-arching concept / abstraction over life itself or "eternity."

she won't have any personal motives, it will never be personal at all, she will literally just be carrying out her purpose, which will be amplified to a degree because the events of the avengers prior to this phase, the destruction of the infinity stones and what not unbalanced the energies of the universe causing a shift in power between each of the abstract entities. and now death's purpose is instead of maintaining the balance between life or death on her side, to rebalance the equation by becoming the overarching abstraction, using thanos as a pawn in this game because she knows he wanted to wipe the slate clean anyway, fully, as in wipe all of reality clean.

See The stones give you immense power, but trying to contain that power can literally kill you if you're not strong enough.

There were two occasions of that, the biggest one is that Hudson River has whales in it now and cap comments how world is cleaner.

He was well received. He had to be, he was the protagonist of that movie. It was HIS movie. That's why the switch was so jarring in the second movie. It's all taken away and they just write him like any other dumbass bad guy.

>I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming conflict.
>How many did you see?
>14 000 605.
>How many did we win?
>[several seconds of breathing]
>One.
This does not mean Thanos wins in every single future, it means the Avengers lose in every future but one.

>The real villain was Tony
>Thanos only wanted to wipe half of life
>Tony on the other hand with the Gauntlet, would pretty much wipe out any non-human being on the universe to protect the earth, and then he would kill any human that would be a threat to others or his order, basically become a full blown dictator
>Doctor Strange saw 14,000,605 futures, with several thousands on which Thanos died before he could snap, but only 1 where both Thanos and Tony died
>So he made Tony believe he had to sacrifice himself in order to save the universe, which was correct, but not form Thanos, but form himself
>That's why Strange didn't use the time stone after Tony snapped save him from dying just like Thanos did when Vision got blown up

>the majority of viewers hated the plot
>89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes
Stop lying.

What I was going to post.
Infinity War Thanos has had people betray him, his own daughters turn on him, his plans fail and he's likely tasted defeat more than a few times. Every victory we see the Avengers make is a humbling for Thanos, and by the time Infinity War rolls around he's older and he's probably tired.

Attached: 1557174247578.png (557x924, 306K)

You have to consider Sandman in comics is like a really really good movie, the kind so good it doesnt happen often. While Spider-Man is Days of Our Lives the daytime soap opera. Thats how I started looking at it as I took an interest in writing over the years, but I still like my childish shit like Transformers and superheroes....

I agree buddy if Marvel used its powerful brand name to make experimental movies like the better comics that would be some facinating shit... and maybe Endgame was the chance for that but if we're being honest it would of killed the franchise which they obviously wont allow.

Well even if hes not omnipotent my point still stands. He can wipe out half of all life in the universe but he heal his arm? Ik they need to have some limitations in order for the movie to work but they could’ve explained it better

Infinity War Thanos accidentally made genocide seem like a justifiable position so naturally the Mouse had to correct that by making him a one dimensional villain in Endgame to remind the pinheads that genocide is actually bad.

Well come on man, say you were put in the position of adapting the infinity gauntlet story... I just dont see how it could of been done better sorry. I found all of this information clearly communicated, the limitations clearly in place, Thanos had incredibly clear motives and distractions etc. Its just too high concept to make total logical sense, but I cant find fault in it personally.

According to Disney, plants were included in snap. I don't know why either.

The fact that it's the point doesn't make it not bad

Is this necessarily a bad thing?

Thanos from IW was obsessed with this Malthusian idea that there weren't enough resources. This idea is brand new to the MCU even though we've seen perfectly healthy life/planets all over the fucking galaxy. It doesn't take into account lesser developed societies/planets. It's the dumbest motivation to kill half the universe. And Thanos is supposed to be this incredibly adept, genius tactician and borderline philosopher. None of this makes any sense. They went with this instead of the lady death sub-plot and it makes his motivation weak and silly. All they SHOULD have had to do was tell him "your plan is fucking stupid and in 30 years it will have been entirely for nothing".

So they wrote themselves into a corner and just scrapped it all in endgame.

Part of me likes the fact i didnt have to entertain this bullshit in endgame but at the same time, the character completely changed and the resolution has zero to do with IW really.

Thanos uses that as sub concious justification for the fact that he just wants to be everyone's father figure, totally in charge.

>the comiiiczzxx!!!!

Attached: u.png (785x1000, 254K)

But aren't cows also a resource? I am glad the cows came back, they are innocent creatures and it saddens me to think how we treat them.

Attached: 1553879629489.gif (270x272, 42K)

>lower score than Infinity War
Hmm I wonder why

>an 89% score in its favour means people hated it
weakass bait senpai

It was all a dream