Ballistae put cannonball sized holes in things because the writers' only frame of reference for naval combat is pirates...

>ballistae put cannonball sized holes in things because the writers' only frame of reference for naval combat is pirates of the caribbean
I miss the early seasons when things felt so grounded and believable.

Attached: whydoIevenwatchthisshowanymoreitjustdisappointsme.png (1200x658, 613K)

jews love destroying history

Go make another video about hating the French, Lindy.

Crzy how they had a constant stream of ballistae when it would take at least half a minute to reload them all

that shit was hilarious
>Cram in naval battle
>Old POTC test footage
>Forgot to change cannon impacts to ballista
>Whatever the pleb women watching this won't notice

>ballistae put cannonball sized holes in things because the writers' only frame of reference for naval combat is pirates of the caribbean
more like Black Sails

First I have to do more historical research at a LARP weekend event with my dance troupe.

Attached: 4iiixlnnj58z.jpg (369x426, 25K)

those spears shoot way too fast and accurate anyway, building GIANT BOWS XDD doesn't make physics any easier, they're heavier and will decline after 200 feet

I miss Rome.

Attached: vorenusrome.jpg (646x431, 84K)

What’s the issue? I don’t watch GoT but a 24lb shot will cause a 24lb ball sized hole won’t it? In the age of sail carpenter’s crew would prepare shot plugs in advance the same size as standard size balls

Are you trolling or are you genuinly this fucking dumb?

Dead serious. Although since nobody has headsails set the windward ships will collide with the leeward ships pretty soon in this scenario unless they dropped anchor

>24lb ballista bolt will cause a 24lb ball sized hole
d&d plz go, ballistae do not make cannonball sized holes in things

>Although since nobody has headsails set the windward ships will collide with the leeward ships pretty soon in this scenario unless they dropped anchor
everyone should be using galleys as warships instead of pure sailing ships but that's another casualty of the writers having no frame of reference for naval combat besides pirate movies

>24lb ball sized hole
Do you not understand weight/density/size?
How "wide" do you think 24lbs is?

Game of thrones logic, make a drawstring bow, but bigger, and you have a railgun

The size of the holes depends on the speed at which the projectiles are travelling. Gunpowder transfers more energy into a 24lbs projectile than ropes and pulleys ever can.

The width has to be standardized to fit the corresponding cannon at least on a national level. Dutch balls wouldn’t fit French guns, etc.

>anons pretending to be smart but are really just as ignorant as the other user

Ships in that time were made of balsa wood

>think you're an intelligent history buff
>watch the most idiotic shows on television

Are you sure you're mad at the show user? Or are you just mad at yourself for being such an ugly retard?

>don't even need a cool looking Roman torsion ballista to kill dragons, just a giant crossbow
How did the Valerians ever conquer the world if that's all it takes? Essos was at a classical antiquity tech level they should have had siege engines capable of killing dragons

Attached: lrgballistacrew.jpg (550x528, 60K)

I mean we already have the bolts penetrating the hardest material known the mankind.

Don't forget about the difficulty of hitting an moving aerial target with a ballista that's mounted on a ship.

>20 good men
>the butchering of Stannis
>Jaime’s halted character development
>Euron being the most one vote character in the show
>the white walkers being an inconsequential threat
>the destruction of Jon and Bran’s character arcs
>the uselessness of Tyrion and Varys past s4
>the stupidity of littlefinger’s death
>the illogical battle tactics and plot armor
>the awful dialogue that’s obsessed with dick jokes
And Normies didn't care. They wanted their fanfic ending and laughed at our concerns. But now that ends. D&D are still hacks, but let us go out while pissing on corpses.

Attached: 1500887989-euron.jpg (480x249, 11K)

I'm watching the episode right now and couldn't even bother to react to the dragon getting killed. They ran the show into the ground with the last season, this is probably the worst drop of quality for a show in history. It's like nobody ever researched the amount of power you'd need to generate to shoot a giant dart in the sky without it losing trajectory in the first 3 meters. It's like trying to shoot a fucking plane with a bow and arrow. Don't even get me going to ballistae destroying ships

Going from low-fantasy intrigue oriented show with a plot culminating with light vs darkness, showing us that politics are ridiculous on the grander scheme of things and then ending with this trash is a fucking joke. If George wasn't alive I'd say he's rolling in his grave right now

They are auto-loading machine gun ballistae with magic aimbot assisted homing bolts that only selectively stop working when the plot demands they not kill Drogon at this point in time even though they are sitting ducks and they had countless more shots.

It's not that unrealistic from the books. Lots of dragons were killed with a single shot from a ballista, even some of the biggest ones. It's just that 1: Westeros was primitive as fuck when Aegon took it over and 2: Later on the Targaryens had a shitload of dragons.

Daenerys lost the advantage by letting them prepare and build countermeasures. This is actually unepectedly good writing, considering last season when the ballista did significant damage to Drogon and the Lannisters went "well fuck, it didn't kill the dragon so I guess this weapon is worthless". I was afraid they just wouldn't build any more ballistas even though it clearly worked.

The alternative is you have Euron get the anti-dragon horn which means multiple more Euron scenes which would be a far greater crime.

Stone walls also apparently made of balsa wood. Dragons selectively paper thin targets, easy to hit, or hard to hit upto the plot to decide.

No it is bad writing. Ballista's don't magically become railguns. They are not even magically powered. Hell if they said they used magic then I'd be fine. Nope they just are machine gun sniper railgun wooden ballista. That switch between pinpoint accuracy vs ships/dragons to missing an entire volley against a retreating dragon doing fuck all evasive maneuvering.

The alternative is Daenerys parks the dragons in front of King's Landing as a show of force and they get stealth shot from the towers, so they have a height advantage over a big static target. Then Drogon flies up and he's now immune to the ballista. Would make me be able to swallow that predictable shit.

I don't like book Euron, but show Euron isn't even Euron and is an oc donut steal trash character with no personality so you're right, maybe it's better this way.

>It's not that unrealistic from the books. Lots of dragons were killed with a single shot from a ballista, even some of the biggest ones.

I don't even know of one dragon who got killed from a ballista in the books. They mostly died in Dance of Dragons by killing each other, the left went wild after their riders died, some were murdered when on an uprising while chained up and that's it.

Technically you can load ball instead of arrow
But ti would require a different ballisat

Attached: 1024px-Crossbow_pistol_IMG_3841.jpg (1024x683, 44K)

Why couldn't DnD just hand over the show to someone else three seasons ago when they wanted out?
Having multiple showrunners is pretty normal

He reminds me more of Victarion from the book.

I haven't finished the last book but isn't Victarion much more noble (for an ironborn at least)? He isn't just a loony madman, he's a simple man that likes fighting because he doesn't have to think about how his big brother cucked him when he does

Why didn't bran warn them about the ambush?

Tbh I actually like book Victarion. His chapters are pretty simplistic because he's dumb but that doesn't make his character bad. He's very simple and to the point, very laconian in his speech and thoughts. It's like he takes the path of least resistance with everything he does, at least his interpretation of it.

And even when the shadow of his brother looms over him he doesn't really seem to hate him. It's like he feels it's his duty to make his brother suffer and take from him what he took from Victarion not out of hatred, but to balance out the bad with the bad. He reminds me of Stannis a lot

>lots
nigga, please

ACKSHUALLY, those boats have enough separation and windage that they would all likely drift downwind at the same pace. moreover, there appears to be less than 5kts of wind with which a square rig would not make much ground to windward.

t.yachtie

Attached: 1526281201971.jpg (412x635, 77K)

He's not, but he's kinda dumb. He also has his own saga with the Dario Naharas thing and the gold that Euron brought back to pay for the Kingsmoot.

I mean he's not a loony madman. He's just dumb, but the whole cersei plot is something I believe that he could be involved in from what we've seen of him in the book, which is why I would be MORE inclined to believe it would be a Victarion deal and not a Euron deal. Euron wants to become a sea god, I doubt he'd give a shit about making a deal that would put him into vassalage to someone like Cersei.

>it's an anons forget f=m*a episode