Well, how do you like your modern, gritty fantasy, lads?

Well, how do you like your modern, gritty fantasy, lads?

Attached: 3F6BF6B3-ECC7-4C0A-B27A-092184000AD7.jpg (212x300, 15K)

Fuck anyone who tries to compare this to LOTR. This is just a glorified edgy soap opera with
>DUDE BAD WORDS EVERY OTHER SENTENCE! FUCK! SHIT! LMAO
>DUDE SEX LMAO

>incels love LOTR and hate sex
Makes sense

I like the realism element. The execution is almost always off balance somehow, though. Tolkien's way is fine too.
We can all get along & just be happy little trees, amn.

they're both shitty, high fantasy is fucking gay

I can't speak to the show, but the books are way better & the only real fair medium to use to compare it to LOTR.

I'm kind tired of it tbqh
I want comfy fantasy and optimist stories

At least it was attempted you old fag. The books are on another level than this shit show.

amazing how you can type this with three dicks in your mouth

capeshit is that way

GoT is boring because it overuses the "haha subverted you by killing another main character!" shit

compare it to LoTR which doesnt rely completely on people you care about dying to bring about emotion, and when it does happen it feels natural.

why would that impair the use of my hands

The show is not that good, but, fuck me, high fantasy is three times worse.
>Look, am black knight, bad guy
>Look, we are white knights we save world
>Habby endingus

>capeshit
imagine being this obsessed. I never mentioned capeshit, user,

>optimist stories
Shit has to be balanced though, I don't mind a bit of it but too much is as bad as straight edge for edge's sake.

Attached: Making the point in 5 seconds.jpg (485x594, 70K)

Humans can breathe through their noses, so I've been told.

Post fantasy/sci-fi books series that would've been better shows than GoT
>Book of the New Sun
>Foundation Series
>Hyperion
>Dune
>Neuromancer(mini-series)

Best TV show in history for the first four seasons. Maintained that title through today, but only because of the excellent bones the story was built upon. Recent plot decisions are bewildering, but it's good television at least.

Books are TBD. We'll see once (if) they get finished. Tolkein is the one true master, and LOTR is the one true story to defeat all stories... but ASOIAF is (thus far) a magnificent achievement and easily the best low fantasy ever devised.

No need for the petty rivalry. I think Tolkein would take grave issue with certain of Martin's themes from a theological perspective, but would respect the books as great art in the process.

>GOT but actually faithful to ASOIAF

I like the books, Mr. Tolkien. They aren't as good as yours though.

This is kino

Attached: rohan_charge.jpg (1920x1080, 193K)

>Dune
Opinion immediately discarded.
I love Dune, but those books quickly went of the rales, and never had half the sophistication of ASOIAF. Dune is the best pulp fiction you'll ever read.

god damn hyperion would be awesome to see but i don't think that or neuromancer will ever really work

or so the Germans would have you believe

ASOIAF isn't that sophisticated either. They're both pretty much good guys versus bad guys with a veneer of complexity and moral ambiguity that doesn't amount to much more than set dressing.

Mr Tolkien,I am sorry. I will stop watching T.V once this shit show ends.

It's basically down to spelled out detail vs that which is alluded to. Tolkien didn't really spell out much detail, even with shit like the Mormegil storyline, he gave just enough to know the scale of the horror's depth of a particular thing if it's important to the story. Martin has lines he doesn't really want to cross, he only barely hints at shit like Theon's actual castration having happened; but he does give more outright general spelled out detail than allusion.

Agreed but that's why you only adopt Dune, Messiah, Children, and GEoD

Unironically this
They butchered some of the best stuff from the later books.

This post is way too reasonable for a shitty thread like this

They outright deleted practically 50% of the storylines & screwed up the executions & portrayals of the remaining shit so badly it's practically criminal. Plus all the terrible shit they invented that doesn't fit the characters at fucking all.

I can not fucking WAIT for their take on Star Wars.

>Book of the New Sun

Would probably work better as an anime

Only Dune is worth adapting, and maybe Messiah. Maybe. But even then, Messiah leaves too much of a massive cliff hanger to not demand a sequel, only to watch the sequel suck dick.
The transformation into a massive immortal worm is just too much.

Can't bear to watch Tolkein's good name dragged through the mire of Yea Forums(nel).

As if there's any comparison to senpai

Attached: tolkien_senpai.jpg (660x371, 49K)

You shouldn’t look in Tolkien, then.

wheel of time will surpass all

>and when it does happen it feels natural
but it never does, none of the main characters die and Boromir is only in it for a bit so he doesn't really count.

So much of Tolkien's shit is incredibly dark, but even Children of Hurin doesn't come off as edgy.

I never understood why people glorify JRR so much, his lore is great but his writing is incredibly mediocre.

I think user meant emotional moments, not character deaths

>his writing is incredibly mediocre.
Relative to other fantasy writers?

>sophistication of ASOIAF
>ASOIAF
>sophistication

Wow an actually good post
I'll never get why people feel the need to turn these things into pointless rivalries.

Even if you don't like the content or tone or subject of the series it's undeniable that Martin knows how to weave plotlines together in a way that really is impressive and sophisticated.

Yea Forums sucks now, user. We've always shitposted and fucked with each other, but it's nothing but a bunch of whiny kids trying to out edge each other. I normally just stick to... well the only good board left (don't want to say it's name in case of brigading)... but I decided to venture forth because of today's episode. Disappointing discussion.

>Wants to see more books butchered and prostituted by braindead companies.
Why are you like this, Yea Forums? Why can't you see that making adaptations is literally just about ripping off an already stablished audience?

Yeah, the prevalence of meme responses has made most discussion impossible.
No matter what sort of point you try to make 90% of the responses will be cope seething have sex incel tranny reddit

theres tons of sex in tolkiens works, just not in lotr. The sex scene in CHildren of Hurin literally makes you want to vomit and cum at the same time, marttin never made me feel like that

>Martin never made me feel like that
Not even when Cersei compared another womans pussy to a swamp and then fantasized about being a boar and goring her.

>muh realism
It's called "fantasy" for a reason you dimwit

>It's fantasy therefore it should be completely detached from how the real world works

>"incel: someone that feels they are owe'd sex"
>user using it in this context
love how lost that meme is

>Tolkien's way is fine too
Tolkiens way IS realism. Scouts were sent out of Rivendell for like 4 months before they left. His descriptions of the terrain they are walking through is spot on. The phases of the moon are correct. There are descriptions about distance, food supply, stuff like that. GRRM is actually an idiot.

>LotR movies were good
>The Godfather was good
>2001 was good
>Barry Lyndon was good
>Clockwork Orange was good
>Ben-Hur(59) was good
>Gone with the Wind was good

I like it. It's pissing off all the Harry Potter faggots.

Also LOTRs didn't age well and there is too much fucking hobbit crying desu.

Attached: 1553473185356.gif (512x384, 314K)

That was close but it didnt top the vines, mud, feces, and boils of Elwenyar

>All movies (except LoTR) from over 30 years ago
Times have changed

The funniest thing is everyone says TV shows are better for long winded fantasy because
> More time can be spent developing characters
> More time can be spent world building
> More time can be spent fleshing out story arcs
Yet here he have the biggest budgeted TV show squashing multiple books together, skipping time every episode, having no suspenseful build up in a scene (like why didn't they chill on the boats for a bit before le teleporting armada, or show Sansa/Arya's reaction to R+L=J or even show the fucking sea battle and character capture?) And rushing/butchering all of the characters and story arcs....Pathetic

>6 episode season
It honestly seems like they're just bored of it now and want it to wrap up.

What, if anything it shows that all of that is correct. The show was better when it stuck to the books.

They're so eager to dive into their StarWars trilogy

Book of the New Sun is so weird and introspective that it would work better as a symphony than anything in the visual medium.

ASOIAF has less sophisticated storylines than One Piece.

>Hyperion
Don't you fucking dare wish for this to be adapted.

Neuromancer and maybe the first book of Dune are the only things on that list that could be adopted.

>Rian Johnson and D&D were given Star Wars trilogys

Truly Kathleen Kennedy was the right choice

muh dick

When Daenerys and Jon were discussion today and she asked him to shut up about it, I thought I was watching The Young and the Restless.

I can't stand it. The fat fuck killed everything. Imagine you just watched the twelve hours of The Lord of the Rings, and you finish it, you get to that part where Aragorn tells the hobbits "My friends, you bow to no one", and instead of being filled with joy and cry your heart out, you wonder "yeah sure, but what was his tax policy?"
No seriously imagine being such a gigantic cunt, so full of himself.

I wish I could go back to 2003, or to 1954, Jesus Christ.

>just turn your brain off and don't question things!

Funny how the death of Sean Bean is the only truly emotional one in both works.

>Habby endingus
Have you watched The Lord of the Rings cunt?

Based and Alzabofed

Attached: D45A8C6B-FBBD-424D-9632-E4E9FDBB3630.png (557x605, 96K)

Go pray kafir.

> none of the main characters die
Um, Gandalf? He comes back eventually, but he definitely died.

And there's a point in the final chapter of TTT where the reader is (briefly) led to believe that Frodo is dead, which is nearly the same thing.

The discovery that Balin is dead is nearly on the same level as a main character dying, for readers who have read The Hobbit.

Theoden probably counts more than Boromir, IMO, but still not exactly a "main" character (I would take that to include only the five principal hobbits, Gandalf, Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli).

What's amazing is that Sean Bean's deaths are still so emotional when the whole world knows from the outset that the character is going to die because it's Sean Bean.

I always wanted an adaptation of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy and Chronicles of Narnia

>Dune doesn't have the sophistication of ASOIAF
get the fuck back to where you came from, subhuman

Nah. Tolkien would have hated it. GURRM isn’t even the best at creating GRIMDARK fantasy. Even E.R. Eddison (a writer Tolkien highly admired) was doing this better then him nearly a century ago. Glenn cook, Robert e. Howard, r. Scott Bakker..they all do MUH GRITTY FANTASY much better than Martin.

Language is hard. This was maybe my answer to Martin, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. A Song of Ice and Fire had a very modern philosophy: that if the king was a good man, he would get his dick chopped off. We look at fake history and it’s not that simple. Martin can say that Bran became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Martin doesn’t ask the question: How was high Valyrian conjugated? Does the pluperfect tense of bravosi derive from the suffix? How did dragons understand the verb, “dracarys”? And what about all those lost westerosi languages? By the end of the war, the night king is gone but all of the autists aren’t gone – they’re in the Godswood, watching beautiful sisters be beautifully raped. Did Bran pursue a policy of monolingualism and kill all other languages? Even the little baby dialects in their little dialect tongues?

Attached: 9D32FC2F-79AD-44F4-9288-51BDE6F86C79.jpg (1200x640, 91K)

There was a sex scene in CoH? I only remember that time when Turin killed a would-be rapist who was chasing a half naked girl through the bushes. And even then their purpose was extremely veiled, Something along the lines of "We have needs too and live by no rules but our own".

You're gay.

>Narnia
hell yeah. sad they couldn't finish the movies

They’ll never touch The Space Trilogy with a ten foot pole. That hideous strength is literally about how (((demonic forces))) run academia, media, and entertainment,

I’m also pissed well never get a Silver Chair movie. I liked all three even though they started to stray far from the books with the last two. Horse and his boy would have been kino too

The old BBC Narnia serials were really good, even if they only made it through The Silver Chair (still, that's one volume further than Walden Media made it, and they were far more faithful to the books than the films were).

Netflix (God help us!) has their own adaptation in the works.

Plus how do you handle all that nudity in Perelandra without it having the opposite effect from what it's supposed to have in the book?

>I’m also pissed well never get a Silver Chair movie
The BBC serial with the 4th Doctor as Puddleglum can never be topped anyway.

>wanting BotNS adopted
>into anything

NO!

Do you even know what your retarded meme buzzwords mean you dumbass redditor?

GoT is high fantasy you brainlet.

The Quantum Thief.

RIDE! RIDE NOW! RIDE FOR RUIN AND THE WORLD'S ENDING!

Why is Severian always drawn wearing no shirt? I don't remember the book ever saying he had no shirt on. I don't like to imagine him without a shirt when I'm reading it.

Attached: severian-33733f1e-b896-4242-aa22-59b0ba346e3-resize-750[1].jpg (481x500, 49K)

>Neuromancer

Attached: manofculture.jpg (448x401, 20K)

I have no idea how you could translate Book of the New Sun to a movie or TV series. The entire dynamic of the book is that you're relying on Severian to explain things. So the scene where he describes a painting of a knight in a desert planting a flag would lose all its meaningfulness if you were watching a movie and just see that it's a picture of the Apollo moon landing.

Nice get and your opinions are spot on. I do not trust (((NETFLIX))) adapting anything from CS Lewis.

So you never read the books. Good to know. GRRM did his research. The trash show writers didn't.

Eisenhorn series. 40k isn't niche enough to the point where additional normalfags coming into the hobby would ruin in it anymore.

Attached: a1419088630_10_2000x.jpg (1200x1200, 456K)

With all its flaws LOTR still better than anything. I'm not even gonna talk about the books. A movie made 19y ago (more or less) is still better than anything CGI bs/bad writing bs we're getting.

Crom laughs at your faggy high fantasy garbage

It’s part of his executioners outfit. He doesn’t wear a shirt when executing or torturing, but outside of that, he’s usually covered. It is too internal to do properly. It falls into the same category of Movy-Dick, any Faulkner novel, Ulysses, etc. sure, you could do the basic plot, but you’ll be missing out on most of the subtext from the books, which in this case, is where the real story lies. It could be done decently in the right hands, but I don’t trust Hollywood to put it in the right hands

I guess you could try doing it with a narrator voice? But narration in movies often really sucks, and is thought of as a taboo to most filmmakers.

Not only that, but the first book is barely even a narrative. It's like vignettes of different parts of his early life. All the books are kind of like that, honestly.

Have you fucks even read Silmarillion? Tolkien could be edgy as fuck aswell.

>Feanor
>Turin
>the Fall of Gondolin
>Everything having to do with Melkor and Morgoth

The Silmarillion was fucking amazing.

Attached: polish-artist-paintings-nightmares-zdzislaw-beksinski-590065a7996d9__700.jpg (700x1015, 199K)

>40k
No thanks, we already have a netflix series for Witcher with niggers

That's because One Piece is GOAT not because ASOIAF is not sophisticated.

Fpbp

Who said anything about Netflix touching the Eisenhorn series with their dirty sjw fingers?

The Iliad and Dante’s Devine Comedy would work amazingly well as a mini-series, but you couldn’t trust any studio to do a faithful adaption.

Also, the events in this movie and the entire history of Sparta could have been extended into an entire mini-series

Attached: F2E5E315-9051-43B0-9B3D-ECDD297E0E18.jpg (356x500, 38K)

>Black Mcragians
>Black Emperor's children
>Strong Independent tranny represents Cadian regiments instead of Creed
>Strong Independent Benedict Kukubetch heads of Inquisition
You don't need netflix, GW is fine doing it on themselves
At least SJWstine is going to die

This is better

Attached: HelmsDeepTwoTowers.png (1080x437, 636K)

Gravity's Rainbow
>inb4 fantasy
It's historical fantasy

>Black smerfs
As if there wouldn't be? There are probably Asian smerfs too.
>Black Emperor's children
Dude, they're Slaaneshi degenerates who cares.
>Transexual who replaced Creed
?
>Implying the Inquisition can't be lead by women
It's the Inquisition ffs , give me one reason why women can't be vindictive political bitches by all means.

Shouldn't you be complaining about the Salamanders or White Scars instead of nitpicking random bullshit? It's the Eisenhorn series I'm talking about, it's pretty set in stone as for casting choices.

>As if there wouldn't be?
>Dude, they're Slaaneshi degenerates who cares.
And that's the point. You don;t need HBO, netflix or Amazon to gather SJW crowd, GW did it already.
>Shouldn't you be complaining about the Salamanders or White Scars instead of nitpicking random bullshit?
Why should I? salamanders and scars were black and yellow since the start (excpet back in the days GW willingly published photo of blonde and white skinned Slamanders in WD), not forced diversity for zoomers like you

Attached: 6548651687.png (691x600, 104K)

>Best TV show in history
No

AAAAAHHHHHH NOOOOO SAVE ME TOLKIEN

*WHIIIIRRRRRRRR*

A fat american lardass and two kikes will never be able to recreate the brilliance of tolkien's mythology.

Mate, Lord of the Rings is babby tier garbage even in comparison to GoT. It's half a step above Harry Potter. The only reason you're even trying to use LoTR as some measure of standards is because it is not popular anymore. It's contrarian.

This bait won't work on me

Attached: 1552536915441.png (446x435, 74K)

>GW likes Slaanesh
No?
>It's forced diversity to have a few black people in smerfs despite being the largest galaxy spanning chapter of the Space Marines
What? It's *40k*, there are entirely new races of humans that have evolved over the period of tens of thousands of years but you're complaining that a few writers decided to have a few blacks in different chapters, as if every muhreen chapter is ethnically homogenous?

Now THIS is boomer autism

>of the rales
I love how I can immediately ignore this shitty opinion and I don't even have to finish reading the post.

GOT is low fantasy

This goy literally fought for the Balfour Declaration creation of Israel stop trying to glorify him.

Reminder that Sam and Rosie had thirteen children

Attached: 727c0c1a0951ccd5883bc2c9f7d2f652.jpg (600x737, 46K)

he fought at a time where you were literally imprisoned for not enlisting

Discworld

>>GW likes Slaanesh
>No?
>made Slaanesh are titless

>evolved over the period of tens of thousands of years
>MBT is tank from WW1

>as if every muhreen chapter is ethnically homogenous?
They are. Especially first founding chapters based on certain cultural and historical stereotypes.

>Now THIS is boomer autism
Don't forget your Switch, reddit

>Well, how do you like your modern, gritty fantasy, lads?
You mean like that Tolkien biopic?

ELRIC YOU FUCKERS
ELRIC OF MELNIBONE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE REAL ANSWER TO LOTR.

OOZING POTENTIAL AT EVERY TURN.
AND GOT IS WHAT THEY GIVE US??

>adapt CoD
Respectfully disagree. not only would you have to make two child actors the stars (which is a huge ganble quality wise) but it's such a weird suckerpunch to Paul's story

Netflix has you covered, user

Attached: Eric of Melbourne.jpg (2047x1315, 362K)

>I love Dune
Mindboggling how that is even possible. Fantasy readers will pretty much like anything they're served

I love elric, but it was all pulpy fetchquests and more mary sues per minute than Game of Thrones

Attached: Elric of Melnibone.jpg (510x700, 101K)

>we want the videogame audience

A Conan series done correctly

Is it true they omitted most, if not all mentions of his Catholic Faith? If so, JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP.

Which is why you ADAPT it. Not give us a 1:1 film of it. Even Moorcock has admitted to the problems the series has. The point still stands.

Elric Dragonfucker or bust.

This is going to be a trainwreck. It will the justice the polack hack deserves for ripping off Moorcock.

Malazan Book of the Fallen. They would butcher it completely though.

Black Company

>much Elric
Dancers at the End of Time is peak Moorcock

>post yfw GRRM will host the Q&A at the Tolkien film premiere

Attached: reee.gif (84x84, 356K)

wheel of time

Attached: 1539227684032.jpg (981x902, 198K)

Superior Tolkien-inspired fantasy passing through

Attached: lodoss war.jpg (612x477, 45K)

>how to weave plotlines together
Yes, he just stopped writing them

First Law
>small cast of main characters, relatively few big battle scenes
>edgy af
>muh subversion
>diversity (including muh strong black woman escaped slave)
>one of the most depressive endings despite only one “main” character dying

>ripping off Moorcock

Attached: T1R1cpd.gif (200x150, 682K)

People complained about the many endings in the LotR movie but at least it had them. Plot points were tied up, there were emotional farewells and the story felt complete. With the way HBO are going they'll probably do a Marvel-like tease for a sequel or a prequel and not leave well enough alone.

Read the Black Company chronicles. They are weay better. written by an actual soldier who knows how to write about war and, most importantly, the main storyline is finished. The series basically gave birth to dark fantasy.

Moorcock ripped off Cook, as basically every dark fantasy author. Just like every high fantasy autthor rips off Tolkien.

Foundation is too big brain for it to make it to the big screen successfully.

You are fully smoking

DEEEEEEEEATH

The producers already have his balls in a vice, look at all those strings.

Remember when D&D said the battle in Episode 3 would be better than the battle of Helms Deep?

Almost everything in that list would be a nightmare to adapt

Attached: pauliewalnuts.jpg (258x258, 12K)

LOOK HOW COMFY YOU'LL NEVER BE AS COMFY AS TOLKIEN

High fantasy just means alternate world, like GoT/ASoIaF or LOTR. Low fantasy means our regular world with some fantastic elements.

>Low fantasy means our regular world with some fantastic elements.
retard

Not a whole lot senpai.

LOL no retard. High fantasy has a particular tone, set of themes, art and grandeur that define it

REMINDER

Attached: 1557144484913.jpg (817x3000, 1.15M)

>Melkor and Morgoth

Attached: 1420647857694.jpg (337x369, 66K)

It’s so crap Oxford puts his publications in their Museum. It’s super poo poo!

Gandalf
Théoden
Frodo when he leaves to the Undying Lands

This is a stupid post