Why are there no more "movie stars"?

Why is there no modern equivalent to Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, etc.? It's all about characters now, not actors.

Attached: 1706px-Jack_Reacher-_Never_Go_Back_Japan_Premiere_Red_Carpet-_Tom_Cruise_(35338493152)_(cropped).jpg (1706x2559, 718K)

this is actually a good thing, let me tell you why

dicaprio is still a 'movie star'

What the fuck are you talking about OP, there's plenty of movie stars still

Because of social media, "stars" can be manufactured

Zoe Saldana

i bet she rarely even gets recognized on the street

Attached: Ramon.jpg (300x300, 24K)

Because of the kind of movies that get popular now. They're adaptations with known characters instead of original ones. So people see Captain America/Steve Rogers instead of.. Chris Hemsworth? Whatever his name is.
Same with all other guys. I do know the names of all the avengers by virtue of people talking online, but the biggest thing about them is the character they're representing.
Then you get book adaptations like The Hunger games and that shit. That chick gets starred everywhere though but she's usually referred to as Katniss or whatever character she's doing now.

Basically actors this era are interpreting shit much bigger than themselves.

Is she really famous? Will anyone see a movie just because it has Zoe Saldana in it, as they would if it had Will Smith or Arnie back in the 80s/90s?

>It's all about characters now, not actors.
Brad Pitt, Will Smith and Tom Cruise are personalities, 75% of their acting output, they're playing themselves with another backstory.

Regardless, Hollywood realised that movie stars dont have the audience pull they once had, which is why they push actors less and make less actor vehicles.
Nobody cares about Depp anymore, Robert Downey havent had a success outside Marvel since Sherlock. Who else is there really?

It's all about established brand names. Old film franchises, video games, cartoons, comics, anime and of course, the studios themselves.
The studios, these are the new movie stars.

Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Pine, Jeremy Renner.
I only like Cruise, DiCaprio, and Renner.

Keanu Reeves?

Country got smarter. Really it's just a testament to how god damn stupid and malleable boomers were, even compared to Twitter tards.

I'm a movie star, AMA

post asshole

....user?

Same reason there aren't really any famous musicians anymore. Remember how huge popstars and rappers used to be? People just get "slightly" famous nowadays to small audiences online, which is why zoomers get all frustrated when their favorite soundcloud rapper gets shot or goes to jail and no one has the slightest idea who they are.

Chris Pratt? RDJ as others have said, Jamie Foxx I would also throw in there. There's definitely still big stars OP

Blame yourselves. Because you have bought into it so fully, everything is about "teams"
There will never be another male star. Ever.
Stop watching "team" movies. Stop watching "teams" on TV.

if a studio makes someone a huge star, the star gets sick of their shit and tells them to fuck off after a while. if there are a bunch of small stars the studio has options and the small stars still need money

Yes he's a big name that pulls an audience but he's an old one, on the same train as Brad Pitt and Will Smith so it doesn't count I think.

Taylor swift. Ariana Grande, Justin Beiber etc all massive fucking stars

Annie tanked. Let's see Pratt and RJD open a film to 100 million that isn't a tentpole franchise.

What have Evans, Downey, and Renner been in besides the MCU?

Downey was a legitimate star in the 1990's, but all he has now is Capeshit

Another question: why does it seem like all of the "newer" actors are effeminate short-stature weaklings?

Attached: 1555780605760.jpg (960x1350, 338K)

Renner was in Hurt Locker, the Town and that movie about the natives and rape and whatever

Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber WERE famous, years ago. Ariana Grande is a literal nobody.

I am a chad

newer generations have lower levels of testosterone
too much estrogen in the water
being "manly" is now seen as toxic masculinity or whatever, so young boys don't look up to manly men
being a faggot or looking like one is now acceptable and might even bring some sympathy from some degenerate parts of the population
the list goes on

Actors are getting homogenized. A decade from now when all the old stars die, all we'll be left with is a nondescript pile of sameface.

I don't know about Evans, but RDJ was a huge star before Iron Man. I get you're a zoomer and wouldn't know that, but Renner has also had a lot of success outside of capeshit.

Tom Holland is one of the greatest actors of this generation and is very handsome. He is a star of the MCU and let me tell you now I am NOT EFFEMINATE! He is a real man's man and how dare you say those harmful things about me? He is very strong. Make sure to see Spider-man: Far From Home in theatres this July!

Men can't be more successful than women now, obviously. Unless they're gay, or trans.

They should honestly all just go full Johnny Depp and become washed up meme stars instead.

>I

Describe your last role.... vaguely.

this

"movie stars" like will smith, jack nicholson, brad pitt, george clooney, tom cruise, etc. are all shit actors, they just act like themselves. they do nothing but contribute nothing to art but the wack obsession with celebrities

most great actors these days are brits, they're fucking everywhere, they're classically trained, and they can't be fucked with image or having some lame persona bleed onto the screen 24/7. these are actors like tom hardy, fassbender, mcavoy, redmayne, cumberbatch, dozens of em and they don't appeal to tabloid trash because they're actual professionals

t. burger btw

*they do nothing but contribute to the obsession with celebrities

Ezra is a fag in a chadbod

I think the 80s macho needs a comeback though
Hollywood is a shit

Attached: sweater.jpg (1015x981, 317K)

god he’s so hot

I don't like bongs feeling superior but it can't be denied, bong actors really are the best of the bunch

RDJ was huge in the 90s, but besides MCU and I guess Tropic Thunder hasn't been that big lately.

Ezra's career could be fucking legendary, he has the looks, stamina, and attitude to go as far as he wants to
I just hope he doesn't get too burnt out too fast

Attached: lmphotos191556.jpg (2170x3000, 718K)

>Ariana Grande is a literal nobody.

I hear her concerts are the bomb

Keanu doesnt pull people, John Wick does.

John Wick?
You mean Le Fortnite Man?

Dwayne Johnson aaand that's it really

Also because we used to be a society that valued talent, nowadays everything seems fickle, superflous and expendable.

Maybe Hemsworth?

Because movie stars command high prices, whereas characters can be infinitely recast on the cheap.

wtf has Hemsworth done that people give a shit about other than Thor. The Rock is actually abel to draw people into seeing a wide variety of shit movies just because of him

After watching Zach Efron absolutely kill it in Extremely Wicked, I think he's on his way to being a megastar.

He did a good job but it was pretty disappointing. I want to movies about serial killers doing crazy shit. I don't want to see movies about their gfs crying about it.

They're not. user is comparing them to how society throughout the 1900's idolized actors/musicians/celebs like they were gods.

Bringing up Bieber and Swift only shows how utterly clueless you are to the impact people like Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, John Wayne, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kurt Cobain, Madonna, Elvis, The Beatles, used to have. These people basiclaly had the power to end wars, to change the cultural zeitgeist in a large scale fashion.

The closest thing we have to anyone like that today is Trump and Obama.

>all those old people
You mean back when there were only like 3 channels on TV? Yeah, not hard to be big then, bro

Didn't the Sherlock Holmes movies do fairly good?

Cabin in the Woods
Red Dawn
Rush
12 Strong
MIB 4

Right, forgot about those. I think that's it, though.

> ctrl+f The Rock
> 0/0 results

Lol how pointless this thread is. There's only 1 superstar actor of the decade. MCU actors are stars the same way LOTR, Harry Potter and Star Wars actors were stars.

Nobody said it was hard, all you just did was answer OP's question, and reiterate my point: we're so stimulated, able to get anything we want, that celebs who used to be akin to kings in the modern world, now are superflous, fickle.

>Cabin in the Woods
No one saw this shit for Hemsworth
>Red Dawn
>Rush
>12 Strong
Literally, nobody saw this shit
>MIB 4
That's a well established franchise and he's riding high off of his Thor success. Also too soon to tell

>lies about ctrl+f
See