Why did Targaryens flee to Essos?

King's Landing has been sacked, so what?
Flee to Dorne, as it can't be conquered. If Robert's is stupid enough to follow him, his army will be destroyed before he can locate Viserys and Dany.

Attached: Chapter3RobertsRebellion3.jpg (620x330, 65K)

They were on Dragonstone so to get there they’d have to get past the Stormlands which is sworn to Robert

>Flee to Dorne, as it can't be conquered

Attached: [email protected] (240x240, 10K)

They could have sailed there...

Why didn't she just genocide the stonemen from Valyria and reclaim/rebuild her ancestral homeland?

What is a boat? (I'm not agreeing with OP here, going to Dorne would just put a target on the young Targs back but getting there would have been easy)

>going to Dorne would just put a target on the young Targs back
How? Fleeing your kingdom is the last thing you want to do if you still have a defensible position and supporters.

why would Dorn willingly put itself in a situation where it is in a cold war with the other 6 kingdoms over two children of a wildly unpopular king?
They'd have just given them the Pompey in egypt treatmeant for Robert.

The dornish army was in the battle of the trident you absolute retard. Dorne has been defeated together with half of westeros by the other half. Try to use your brain

Supporters? Who exactly still supported the Targs after the Trident? Dorne and the Reach. Against the North, Riverlands, Vale, Stormlands and Westerlands. And with that combined force bearing down on Stormsend the Reach probably would have flipped leaving just Dorne. Plus Viserys was what 8 and Dany was literally weeks old? Plus the reason Dorne was unconquerable in the Conquerors day was beacuse the minute you thought you had won the dornish would rebel and kill everyone, it wasn't untakable, it was occupied numerous times.

According to Preston, who we all know is right 100% of the time, they DID go to Dorne.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

My bad, I did mean by sea. The Baratheons has a navy too

That they still managed to slip past to get to Essos (So they easily could have gone to Dorne). The fleet was at Dragonstone when the Targs escaped.

Dorne isn't about to 1v6 the Seven Kingdoms for two orphaned kids.

There is a theory that they originally went to Dorne based on the Lemon tree Dany describes. Lemons are known to grow in Dorne but not Braavos which was described as treeless.

Because Robertians raped and killed Doran's sister and her children.

>they sent all their men there
take your own advice, even if they forced suffered a loss, Dorne is full of castles with a garrison that are hard to besiege.

If the king was still in Westeros, the Reach wouldn't have flipped, and they might have won by biding their time. Eventually, Greyjoy's would have rebelled, forcing Robertians to turn their attention elsewhere.

You honestly don't think Mace would have flipped with 6 of the 8 regions bearing down on him? As soon as the Lannisters took King's Landing and joined Robert the Targ cause was lost and Mace isn't going to doom his house to the fate of House Reyne. Also the Greyjoy's waited 3-4 years after the War of the Usurper to rebel, I don't see them doing it any sooner just beacuse the Targ loyalists hold out for another 6 months to a year.

Yes, the Reach is wealthy, they would have had a real chance.
>Greyjoy's waited 3-4 years after the War of the Usurper to rebel, I don't see them doing it any sooner just because the Targ loyalists hold out for another 6 months to a year.
After his father got beheaded, Charles II held out in Scotland for three years before being pushed out. Dorne is a lot of larger than Scotland...

the Reach and Dorn are traditional enemies though.

A big part of the Dornish armies got decimated at the Trident.

seething barathincel

About half of the Dornish army was at the Trident and got btfo.
The Reach was meh, yes they did besiege Storms End but that was it, they didnt come up to the Trident or even Kings Landing. Also the Redwyne fleet stayed in the Arbor/Reach coastline as the Iron Fleet/Iron Islands had joined the rebellion.
Also the royal fleet at kings landing turned on the Targs after the Trident. It was quicker to sail to essos then to sail all the way to Dorne which was to go past the storm lands, which while limited they would of had some ships, that and combined with the royal fleet in pursuit it was safer to sail to essos.

So using non-canon sources the North can muster 45'000 men in the height of summer, the Riverlands 45'000, the Westerlands 50'000, the Stormlands 30'000 and the Vale 45'000. The Reach can muster around 80'000 (100'000 if they take the sweepings of the Reach), Dorne around 50'000 and the Kingslands around 15'000. So Robert's army if fresh (which neither side is) could potentially have over 215'000 men to the 165'000 of the Targaryen loyalists. Also the Dornish and the Kingslands had taken massive losses at the Trident. Also the Reach might be rich but there aren't many sellsword companies that have the numbers needed to tip the scales the Tyrells could buy (Golden Company is the obvious exception but I don't see them coming over to support a Targaryen).

Also I meant semi-canon not non-canon.

Your forgetting the Iron Isles, a big reason the Reach didn't go up North to help was because they feared the Iron Isles were going to join the rebellion and then be raided.

Yeah but they didn't actually join so I discounted them.

I thought I read they did join the rebellion and raided the reach with their ships?

I think they did raid but without actually committing to a side. They were just being opportunists and getting some loot before the war was over. And the Iron Islands can raise about 20'000 but obviously their strength doesn't rely on troop numbers and in their fleet. So make Robert's number of troops 235'000 if you feel the need.

Just checked the wiki and it says they joined after the Trident but I don't ever remember this being said so fuck knows?

Numbers matter until they do not.
Marching army of almost any size to Dorne is going to have serious logistics issues.

Attached: Alju.png (314x849, 219K)

I could of swore in the books it was one of the main reasons the reach only attacked the stormlands and didnt go north to protect the capital.

Use the fleets to transport enough troops to take Sunspear, murder the Targaryen children. Job Done. You don't need to take Dorne, you just need to kill Viserys and Daenerys.

Hell just allow the Iron Isles to raid Dorne would cause enough of a distraction for the royal fleet to land in Sunspear with the army of the rest of westeros and its game over.
I mean yes you couldnt hold it but you just need to burn the city and kill the children.

Why the fuck doesn't every kingdom just secede and declare independence? Why are they still united?

Cause it's a book.

It isn't it written with a level of realism in mind? This shit happens all the time, kingdoms and empire splitting up after a regime change

There are no orange trees in Bravos

For 131+ years (153) it was because Dragons. After that I guess they were just used to it.

>dragons
>realism

>After that I guess they were just used to it.

Wildfire, the Targs still used it, they had the pyromancers guild or whatever they were called.
They were the only ones to have it. Though no idea why Rheagar didnt use it at the Trident.

I'm sure after the Dragons died the spells to create Wildfire were less effective. Also Dragons>>>>>>>Wildfire.

It'd be more interesting with HRE-esque setting. With various smaller kingdoms, duchies and city-states all held together by a nominal king who didn't have much real power. All the political maneuvering to gain power would cooler than generic fantasy it has become