How does one actually become a film director?

How does one actually become a film director?

Attached: ot4o5nfr0b.jpg (715x402, 75K)

Step 1 you need a story or a subject, Step 2 buy a camera Step 3 film said story or subject , Step 4 edit the movie.Step 5 watch it.Step 6 repeat step 3-5 until your movie is complete.

i have one word for you: little girls

Attached: v16_tiktokcdn_com-.webm (540x960, 1006K)

be chosen

I mean, yeah, it sounds easy enough. But in reality it must be really difficult to even get people to be a part of your film. When you start out, you don't have a high budget, and you probably can't even pay your actors. So the only reasons they'd even play in your film is if you either promise them fame and fortune after the film is done, or if you are really charismatic and you just happen to have like 20 good friends who will do anything for you

Just be yourself

>Be born rich
>Try to disappoint your jewish dad
>Abuse, physically and psychologically, everyone you work with
There you have it, user

>it must be really difficult to even get people to be a part of your film
Not particularly. Acting is a hugely overpopulated field, and most actors are pitifully underworked. A lot of them are just looking for stuff to add to their reel/resume.
I've never asked an actor to work for free but a few of my friends have.

Circumcision and bar mitzvah

I'm a student at a film school. If you announce your projects at an acting school, you will fish some of the freshman over there to play roles in your film. If you're smart, you're gonna do a lot of coming of age projects before you get to work with budgets. If not, you're gonna do mafia movies where the boss is played by a teenager.

Unironic, non-defeatist answer: find something you want to shoot, save up money to shoot it, put together a cast/crew, and shoot it. Shop it around festivals, and if it's any good (or at least noteworthy) you might get contacted by an agent who'll find you work.
It's definitely not the easiest thing to do, but it's possible, and you don't need to be a rich kid to do it (though, it helps.)

Attached: 1501752132003.png (500x387, 323K)

I see some people here implying that you have to be Jewish, but there are tons of directors that aren't Jewish, if you look at foreigners, e.g. Christopher Nolan, Hayao Miyazaki, or Nicolas Refn

All of them have been circumcized, some as adults

>And you don't need to be a rich kid to do it
Aaaaaand that's how I know you don't know what you're talking about. The effort put into writing and directing a film demands months of your life. Even if you somehow get a budget to pay for your film, you still need to, you know, live while you're doing your thing. Work, college, university... life gets in the way. If you don't have parents to back you up while you're still not making money in the business, you're fucked.
I do know people who didn't come from golden cribs and managed to snatch into the industry, but these people have liver through hell, many almost killed themselves while facing constant failure and a merciless market.

Bonus: if you live in the USA or in the UK, you have a huge advantage over everyone else in the world.

If you live in a third world country, give up before it consumes your soul.

And here, OP, is the reason you don't ask questions like this on Yea Forums. Keep in mind that half these losers don't have enough willpower to fuck a girl, much less make it in one of the most competitive industries in the world.
Does it help to be a rich kid? Most definitely. Is it a requirement? Not by a longshot. You're just another defeatist if you claim otherwise.
And you're pulling the USA/UK thing right out your ass. Plenty of successful filmmakers have come out of, and even still reside in, other countries (including third-world ones.)

Attached: 111931707925370.jpg (720x960, 70K)

Has anyone here ever even watched modern directors first films? The guy who directed Ragnarok and What we do in the Shadows first movie has the quality of a shitty youtube video. You can't just expect to make gold from the start.

>if you ignore the truth of nepotism, inequality and the impossibility of succeeding in the film industry you are a defeatist

Attached: 1549637620132.png (894x773, 48K)

You might want to read over your posts before you post them, brianlet

Attached: 1470967763817.jpg (717x533, 72K)

Pretty much this
Only a handful of directors make gold their first time around, and most of then are Orson Welles (and even he had years of experience in theater and radio beforehand.)

Attached: serveimage423.jpg (735x541, 35K)

I'm not a defeatist, you faggot. I actively work in the industry in my country and actually live my life as a filmmaker (mostly a ad director and sometimes a short film/music video director and screenwriter). Problem is: you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about and thinks things are much easier than they actually are. I have, technically, "won". I have a comfortable life and I even might get to direct a long feature in a few years. But If I could turn back time I would much rather become a doctor or a lawyer. There's just so much I lost on the way that I don't even know if it's worth it. All to work in an industry where you can't even voice your opinions if you are to the right of Stalin, otherwise people stop working with you and all your career is flushed down the drain.
Ever since I've became a filmmaker I gained 70 pounds, lost a lot of hair, lost friends, lost so many important moments in my family's life (I couldn't even be there to watch my brother's marriage, because I was doing an irrecusable type job). This is a hellish career and there is more to life than abstract dreams you had when you were a teenager. That's my message.

People are saying be Jewish because Jewish nepotism is an obvious thing, that's not to say luck, talent and other kinds of nepotism aren't a factor.

Experience
Connections
Money
Dick sucking lips
Talent.

Pick two.

>impossibility of succeeding in the film industry
Even you contradticted this in your previous post. If you really want to claim making it in the industry is "impossible" without a rich/connected family it's easy enough to disprove you

Be a jew, be a friend of industry jews, have family connections to jews and never fucking ever plan to make a film that is critical of jews.

>long nails
dropped

>ad director and sometimes short film/music video director and screenwriter
>"I won"

>Ever since I've became a filmmaker I gained 70 pounds, lost a lot of hair, lost friends
Sounds like you just got old and lazy. You're never going to direct those features.

Attached: 146682755727002.jpg (500x456, 36K)

This post was made by
me, the same person who did this not this

>all posters are the same person

Attached: _91408619_55df76d5-2245-41c1-8031-07a4da3f313f.jpg (660x574, 31K)

By all means I did. Compared to all the people my age who engaged in filmmaking, I'm doing quite well (professionally). Personally, it's a whole other question.

Also, fuck you, you gigantic piece of shit.

The point still stands

Stop being lazy and prove me wrong, faggot

Hey bois,

So I worked in post productions for about 6 years because I wanted to pursue medical school. I have some real advice for you just encase you fool are not rich or have legacy.

1. Just work on your projects:
If you if have talent, it will be hard to hide. You don't have to start great, but if you have the seeds and give them time they will be noticed.

2. This is a bit more practical:
It's true the the film industry is a lot about who you know, but that doesn't mean you can not get in. IF you don't have anyone to help you/ if you don't trust your talent levels, this is how I would handle it. There are super easy jobs you can get in what we call post houses. This companies handle digitizing, color correction, mixing, etc. These house include a lot of the companies you see at the end of the credits in movies and T.V. shows (technicolor, modern video, Todd AO, etc.) They will pretty much hire anyone to work in their vaults. Once there really grind and show how hard you are willing to work and let people know what your goals are. You would be surprised how how many people work at these places and how 0 drive, because of this it is really easy to standout. If you can keep this up you can eventually move up. Once you get off ground floor you will be allowed to work in areas where you will be intreating with producer, directors, and writers who are coming to see how the work is going. Once you start meeting the/ being friendly/ helping them with what they need it will more then likely ask you about your goals and it kind of falls into place from there. I know several people who did this and found themselves being assistances to directors, producers, and so on. If you can get in with an even semi-respectable director or producer, it an almost straight shot from there.

Attached: 1551392330819.jpg (750x761, 266K)

Great advice from someone who hasn't made it in the industry but thinks they know how to get that done.

Well done, user. You've ensured the directorial success for thousands. Bravo.

go to films

>put together a cast/crew

how

Be born jewish