ITT Most Hated/Loathsome Movie Characters

ITT Most Hated/Loathsome Movie Characters

Attached: Commodus.jpg (630x652, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QGVIwRLC3bQ
youtu.be/PXPLXIRdlSk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

About the most sympathetic aspect of Emperor Commodus is that he was mentally ill. That's it, for me. He lived mostly with himself in mind, if not totally.

It's not this fault that his sister was hot

Remember when the Emperor personally goes down to fight

this

He really did fight as a gladiator, but more than likely, most or all of his fights were decided by the rigging, just to put on a one-sided show.

He had a tough childhood.

Looked like a basedboy in real life

Attached: Commodus,_Kunsthistorisches_Museum_Vienna_-_20100226.jpg (800x1067, 109K)

Ben Shapiro

The real Commodus did fight in the arena but his opponents were injured before the fight like with Maximus at the end.

reminder that in real life he was actually strangled to death by a wrestler, and that the movie is overrated.

All gladiatorial fights should have been rigged. It would have been like ancient WWE.

Looks like Zuckerberg.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear about Commodus. Marcus Aurelius actively worked to make him into something godly prior to his death - they actually ruled jointly for a number of years - and there was never any real question of him being passed over for succession. Dynasty was paramount at this time, despite the Empire's pretense towards republicanism. And an Emperor born in the purple was highly auspicious. Recent scholarship has shed a rather different light on his reign. His peculiar form of "hands on kingship", wherein he would commune publicly with his subjects via exploits in the arena could well have worked to revive a flagging Empire in need of something divine/heroic. It didn't, but it might well have. He was, at the very least, a showman. And, as a pseudo religious singular figure, he anticipated the rise of Sol Invictus and, later, Christ, as an attempt at psycho-spiritual unification throughout the Empire.

>implying they weren't rigged

>Mmm, boys!

This is untrue. Even his harshest critic, Cassius Dio, admits that he was a truly superlative athlete.

He’s one of the historical figures I unironically think was autistic after learning about his obsession with Hercules

Then there is merit to his skills, if a critic had written such. He was still quite a crazy emperor, though.

Any films about Emperor Nero and that castrated boy he married?

Attached: DSC_1083.jpg (2116x3176, 443K)

I've really only read on Gibbon about Commodus, but he sounded like a real tool.

I know exactly who they should cast for the role.

Attached: 1421690831184.jpg (2048x1538, 428K)

Akshuly historical Commodus did even worse shit than the fictional one
He larped as Hercules in the arena and got crippled and mutilated people to cosplay as mythical beasts to kill off

> Dynasty was paramount at this time, despite the Empire's pretense towards republicanism.
like the last 4 Emperors before him adopted the ablest successors they could find from outside their immediate family

shawshank is incredibly overrated but this cunt is one of the scariest fuckers i've ever seen in a movie, great actor.

Attached: 3b6b5ed66d89e544163621534a45116f.jpg (1600x1049, 123K)

Is it sad that I learned this by playing that gladiator game for the PS2 where you get matched against Commodus dressed up as Hercules?

AM I NOT MERCIFUL???!!!

youtu.be/QGVIwRLC3bQ

Based

looks like his nephew lol fucking brits

>He larped as Hercules in the arena and got crippled and mutilated people to cosplay as mythical beasts to kill off
ABSOLUTELY BASED

Cripples and mentally ill people are scorns of the earth. We should kill them off desu. Stop wasting money and supplies on them.

He kind of reminds me of pic-related, with a neutral expression.

Attached: 1527560164211.jpg (1080x1073, 148K)

Was that game called Shadows of Rome? I've never played it, or owned the PS2, but I would have gotten it if I had one.

>Supreme Gentleman Commodus

>like the last 4 Emperors before him adopted the ablest successors
Only because they had no direct heirs. Anytime an Emperor had a legitimate heir, as with Titus and Domitian prior to Commodus, that heir was made Emperor. And when Emperors had no direct heirs, they went to great lengths to create fictive dynasties. Gibbon's ideal of meritocratic succession has been largely discredited as wishful thinking.

No, but that game was fun too. I was thinking of Colosseum: Road to Freedom, a game where you build a gladiator (along with origin and ethnicity) and play them from fresh meat to being the prime showman of the colosseum.

irl Commodus was badass though, he fought in the arena and dressed like Hercules and was really full of himself

>In November 192, Commodus held Plebeian Games, in which he shot hundreds of animals with arrows and javelins every morning, and fought as a gladiator every afternoon, winning all the fights. In December, he announced his intention to inaugurate the year 193 as both consul and gladiator on 1 January.

>Perhaps seeing this as an opportunity, early in 192 Commodus, declaring himself the new Romulus, ritually re-founded Rome, renaming the city Colonia Lucia Annia Commodiana. All the months of the year were renamed to correspond exactly with his (now twelve) names: Lucius, Aelius, Aurelius, Commodus, Augustus, Herculeus, Romanus, Exsuperatorius, Amazonius, Invictus, Felix, and Pius. The legions were renamed Commodianae, the fleet which imported grain from Africa was termed Alexandria Commodiana Togata, the Senate was entitled the Commodian Fortunate Senate, his palace and the Roman people themselves were all given the name Commodianus, and the day on which these reforms were decreed was to be called Dies Commodianus.[15]

The only problem was renaming Rome after yourself pissed off enough people that they send an assassin to strangle him to death in his bath.

Attached: 1407.jpg (400x600, 40K)

Btw, King Joffrey was inspired by Commodus.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-06-03-20-32-956~2.jpg (647x781, 112K)

>inspired by the movie version not the based IRL version

Which English king is Joffrey actually based on? I know Bobby B was Henry VIII and Edward IV, and Dany is Henry Tudor...

Does that mean Tywin was inspired by Aurelius?

That was the point though, movie version was loathsome, exactly as Joffrey was supposed to be.

>you now remember got used to have talented actors and characters who were interesting to watch

Attached: like... tears... on a plane.jpg (236x364, 12K)

maybe edward the second

Tywin was Edward I, aka Edward Longshanks aka Hammer of the Scots.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next

Attached: ,,,.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Is that the guy from Saved by the Bell?

it's sad the only decent actor/actress left is Lena Headey. Ian McShane was right, the show is just tits and dragons

I mean the incest between Cersei and Jaime is kind of like Commodus and his love for Lucilla and Tywin did not appreciate Joffrey at all, he even liked Cersei more, just like Marcus who prefered his daughter.

HE'S so hot

They really picked the best possible little shit to play him.

Attached: joffrey.jpg (3994x1994, 735K)

what?

Haven't you seen the movie? He wanted to fuck his sister.

>that nose

Joffrey's not based on any English king. Martin drew from a wide range of historical figures and historical fiction. Stannis' characterisation is based on Tiberius from "I, Claudius." His closest historical counterparts would be Edward V, one of the Princes in the Tower, a king who was son of Edward IV and declared illegitimate by his uncle Richard III who made himself king, similar to how Stannis does. However, Bran and Rickon, and baby Aegon in the books are more similar to the story of the Princes in the Tower.

Renly is based on Edward II.

Tyrion is inspired heavily by Richard III. Martin is a Yorkist and they tend to view Richard positively. Yorkists tend to argue that Richard's negative reputation is unfair stigma based on him having a hunchback while Tyrion is unfairly stygmatised as a dwarf.

He's also based on Richard Neville from the Wars of the Roses.

Movie is overrated?
You're out of you fucking mind.
You're probably 19 or 20.
And or your comment was bait.
The Fuck out a here.

Always also got a lot of Constantine vibes from Stannis, begins the civil war in charge of some backwater island, uses a foreign eastern religion to rally his men under his cause

yes, it's Mark Zuckerberg

He wasn't crazy he was just spoiled.
Rome had been growing and sedating for the entire Nerva-Antonine dynasty and there was literally no pressing outside threat like the sassanids or huns to force people to get their shit together.
after Commodus Rome would fight itself more than anything else trying to get at all the goodies.

GLADIATOR CAST - THEN & NOW

youtu.be/PXPLXIRdlSk

That was the only Then & Now Gladiator cast video that has decent pictures of Russell so I'm sharing this only.

it is blockbuster trash

This is actually nostalgic to think that it's been almost 20 years and some of them are not alive anymore.

>That look of fucking terror

>that time he went ham on a ostrich and threatend senators, but it turned into a TNTL challenge

"And here is another thing that he did to us senators which gave us every reason to look for our death. Having killed an ostrich and cut off his head, he came up to where we were sitting, holding the head in his left hand and in his right hand raising aloft his bloody sword; and though he spoke not a word, yet he wagged his head with a grin, indicating that he would treat us in the same way. And many would indeed have perished by the sword on the spot, for laughing at him (for it was laughter rather than indignation that overcame us), if I had not chewed some laurel leaves, which I got from my garland, myself, and persuaded the others who were sitting near me to do the same, so that in the steady movement of our armies we might conceal the fact that we were laughing"

Attached: xko88bD.jpg (1931x1855, 182K)

Derek Jacobi looks the same??? Wtf?

Whiny senators acting like he was gonna shoah them.

Russell has the same haircut as Maximus.
>Iconic

One of the comments of this video
>For us men, our noses grow bigger as we age, sadly.
kek, he's right

Why does this big introduction sounds familiar?

Does anyone have a link for the new GOT episode?

play.hbogo.com

This is how he looked without a beard.

Attached: 800px-Bust_of_Commodus_180-192_AD.jpg (800x976, 125K)

they actually had reason to be scared tho

based and redpilled

Reminder that the real Commodus was bisexual with a preference for men but Ridley Scott chose to make him an incest incel instead of pointing out that he fucks men in the movie.

based commodus, i heard the gladiators were handicapped though

He could've been a good athlete and still had it rigged. Romans were pretty fearless as a rule but they weren't that insane.

Reminder that Nero the autistic neckbeard had a trap wife

Attached: Nero-and-Sporus-300x256.jpg (300x256, 13K)

based

that's Poppaea