Is it better to take risks and subvert expectations or stick to a predictable formula so no one gets hurt?

Is it better to take risks and subvert expectations or stick to a predictable formula so no one gets hurt?

Attached: return of the king.jpg (1920x1080, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftxu6P_HOQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This assumes subverting expectations hurt anyone
Also, Tolkien invented the formula

People somehow think subverting expectations is good because no one was expecting that.
Just because you write some nonsense bullshit, doesn't make it good.

there are plenty of subversions in LOTR though

"Is it better to write bad stories and pretend it's super intellectual, but really just a slap in the face to the fans and political feminism?"

Post-Modernism's dying breath

Attached: modern art s.jpg (500x375, 19K)

Really? Like what?
Does the Fellowship splitting up almost immediately count as a subversion? I don't know what a reader back then would have expected

I assure you, he did not.

Name one. Not a minor detail, like oh I didn't expect Legolas to do that! an actual plot/thematic one.

Best in life is to have coherent themes and a satisfying resolution to conflict that is appropriate to the development of the characters.

the lesson here is that its better to stick to source material

We need to send a powerful and valuable object into the heart of hostile territory to destroy it.
The best person for this mission is not the strongest or the fastest or the most wise, but a simple halfling.

Its about the storytelling
Stop this meme of subvertion and predictable formula
A good story will do the work regards how it does

He modernized it. He took old pagan/christian mythology, that have been around for thousands of years, and made it into a one coherent story.

He didn't invent the formula, but he did adapt the formula of historical epics and mythologies and present them to a modern audience, which is a huge feat in itself. A good portion of modern fantasy is then derived from LotR

The ending when Gollum bites the ring off of Frodo's finger and then gets hurled into the volcano was pretty unexpected imo

That's true, good point. Corollary to that, Frodo finally succumbing to the Ring after all was surely unexpected as well

That's just the setup? Frodo is never expected to fail because he's nothing more then a vehicle for the plot to move from point A to expected point Z and it does arrive at point Z and all's well that ends well and no expectations are challenged.

Would Samwise being able to carry the ring for a brief time without succumbing count?

OP, it depends. If you can subvert expectations while still being satisfying, like Avengers: Infinity War, then that's great. On the other hand a good, solid, well made and well told story done with enough panache to elevate it, like Aquaman, then I'm just as happy. But MOST IMPORTANT, hire good looking people, have nice rich colorful sets, costumes and cinematography and I'll watch anything!!!FACT!!!

In LOTR's case they fulfilled expectations but did it in such ways that subverted them while being satisfying!!!FACT!!!

How was LotR predictable if you didn't read the books? I don't want to see what's going to happen from a mile away but I don't think that was the case with LotR anyway.

But Frodo does fail. That's the whole point.

Watch this video for an in-depth explanation:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftxu6P_HOQ

Incredibly dumb and obviously loaded question.
Who's to say that LOTR had a predictable formula? At the time, you didn't know shit. Even when you knew the lore, the books, you'd watch jackson's take and you didn't know what would fucking happen and when it did, it was beyond all expectation.
That's why it's a timeless classic, that's why you watched this shit a million times, even after you already knew what was going to happen. That's how you came to the conclusion that it's a "predictable formula" when it was never predictable until you made it out to be that way.
The trilogy won multiple awards and touched the hearts of men and women all over the world, it became an iconic symbol off of it's own and is known today by virtually all age groups. So it was a giant risk to make this trilogy, you can't even imagine and you probably never will because now it's more important to deconstruct timeless classics out of envy and stupidity without any critical thinking and ask ignorant loaded questions on garbage boards.

>the setup
by which you mean the entire point of Tolkien's morality play about power and restraint

Frodo giving in to the Ring.
The great climactic battle between two great armies headed by a King being nothing more than a distraction.

Yes. GOT season 1-5 were fine.

Sunverted expectations as part of the plot that makes sense is fine. The Red Wedding or Jon being stabbed to death for example.

>5
>dorne plotline
>fine
I think generosity might be a fatal flaw of yours.

>filmfags

>those popcorn movies took a lot of effort and money to make therefore that is a validation of their artistic merit

Subversion is the predictable formula now.

Art is just another language to convey thoughts, ideas and emotions from one person to the next. Film, literature, music etc is just a means to do it with. It was incredibly successful and deserved all the recognition it got. Effort and money has nothing to do with it.