Give it to me straight, Yea Forums. Is Endgame going to dethrone my beloved Avatar? I'm nervous

Give it to me straight, Yea Forums. Is Endgame going to dethrone my beloved Avatar? I'm nervous.

Attached: 87e99eb0661a04d5350105727ac3be23.jpg (800x1133, 148K)

Maybe in nominal terms but Avatar was once in a lifetime

I saw that shit in IMAX 3D and the first scene was absolutely mindblowing. It was the first immersive use of 3D

>Muh special effects
Yes. Say goodbye

Yeah Avatar is the GOAT theatre experience. A spectacle unlike any other, still yet to be topped (it'll be Avatar 2 that finally tops it).

I don't see it happening. Anyone can see Avatar, but Endgame ""requires"" seeing 21 previous movies. And because it's a movie with a rabid fanbase, the majority of tickets are front loaded.

Everyone wanted to see Avatar, but everyone wanted to see Endgame (as early as possible), especially with the extra concern regarding getting spoiled considering the major character "events".

It'll def get close though.

Attached: 1459265722571.jpg (289x299, 44K)

It might. But then avatar 2 will murder endgame

>made 1.2 billion over the weekend
>just slowed down to 1.3 billion
No. At most they'll barely scrape 2 billion

>but Endgame ""requires"" seeing 21 previous movies.
This is the main thing that's hindering me from watching it, even if I wanted to. I have not watched the majority of the capeshit movies because most of them are just unappealing. And I know people who feel that way, too, at least with the "I have to watch all this shit to watch Avengers" attitude.

>I don't see it happening. Anyone can see Avatar, but Endgame ""requires"" seeing 21 previous movies
That's why I'm nervous. Endgame has had a decade of hype building up to it. It's the most anticipated pop culture event of my lifetime. Avatar just sort of came out. I think Endgame does at least 2.5 b

>avatar 2 murdering anything
They waited too long and the hype is long dead.

I watched it without seeing any of the others, its not that deep - the characters even introduce themselves. I thought it would be like a skipping to the final chapter of a complicated graphic novel but nope its like watching any other blockbuster movie.

>Doubting Cameron
He will do something crazy again and force the industry to be better yet again

Reminder that Endgame grossed DOUBLE what Infinity War grossed in the first weekend, and Infinity War went on to gross just over 2 billion total. If you extrapolate from there, that's 4 billion for Endgame.

It's coming for your baby.

Avatar had dedicated people rewatching in different formats (3D, IMAX, etc). Since the spoilers for Endgame are basically out at most a lot of people will see it once and that's it. It could be close but it won't top it.

Wrong

I hope you're right. Avatar is the GOAT movie and deserves to stay highest grossing

It's avatar, but underwater. What more do you want?

with all due respect fuck the extrapolations

This is after 1 weekend. I mean, what the fuck.

Attached: asd.png (794x397, 42K)

>pitting disney properties against other disney properties
get a life

keep in mind alot of factors like
> everyone rushing to try and beat spoilers
> the hype train
>no competition

i predict a significant dropoff and it will probably wind up anywhere between 3 and 5th place

>between 3 and 5th place
my god you're delusional. this movie is going to make over 3 bi easily

bro it made 1.3 billion in a weekend!!! rationalize it any way you want, that's fucking insane! and you know this thing will be in theatres thru July

Where the DC?

Attached: down here.png (717x390, 38K)

>being this retarded
It's all frontloaded and the drop-off day-by-day is getting more and more drastic.

>It's all frontloaded and the drop-off day-by-day is getting more and more drastic.
it had the third biggest monday ever domestically. I can't find gross numbers but I imagine it had the biggest monday ever overall

Don't forget how soon it follows Infinity Wars and Captain Marvel. Disney has a shitty reputation of mass producing in brief periods and fucking up

Attached: MLTEPeV.jpg (661x399, 47K)

(you)

>Disney has a shitty reputation of mass producing in brief periods and fucking up
really? I thought they had a reputation for PRINTING MONEY. I must have been mistaken

Never underestimate Cameron's ability to break box office records.
>Stares out the window still not satisfied copypasta

>grosses 5 billion in your path
heh, nothing personal Marvel

Attached: Avatar_2_logo.jpg (316x316, 15K)

>Disney has a shitty reputation of mass producing in brief periods and fucking up
Toys are a poor indicator of that kind of thing because they are extremely high margin.

Toys are still making a profit even after the items hit the clearance aisle's own clearance aisle.

Endgame is projected to pass 2 billion this Sunday. It's over

n-no..

Attached: 1521806956117.png (640x480, 167K)

also important to note: the only two films with a higher Monday box office were Black Panther (which landed on President's Day) and Force Awakens (which landed on Christmas break). Endgame's Monday record was achieved on a standard school/work day

>this post
Yeah, Abatap's fucked

Solo the Movie is a good indicator
SW9 teaser getting less views than Joker is a good indicator

>SW9 teaser getting less views than Joker is a good indicator
yeah, but Endgame making 1.3 BILLION in a weekend isn't moving your needle? fuck off nerd

How does movies actually earn money? Do they get a small percentage of every ticket sold no matter which country? Some have more expensive tickets than others too.

do you think abatap will awaken from his slumber? just in time to start shitposting for avi 2

Theatres get anywhere from 20-40 percent of the take. Rest goes to the movie

>Do they get a small percentage of every ticket
No they get most of it. Theatres make money off of popcorn. The rest of the studio's money is from merch and ads and that's it. Disney's trying to capitalize on the streaming market but it won't give them much more than brand loyalty.

So a small theatre in bumfuck nowhere sends the money they're entitled to their account or does it automatically happen?

It's the internet age user

Yup. And the more popular the movie, the smaller the take for the theatre, since it's bringing in more money.

>It's all frontloaded and the drop-off day-by-day is getting more and more drastic.
You're talking out of your ass. Domestically it dropped 59% Sunday to Monday, which is low end for Marvel and lowest of all the Avengers movies

Theaters share the ticket revenue, domestically something like 40% overall go to the theater, but disney is tyrannical in the revenue they take in comparison to other movies. For The Last Jedi they took 70%.

theyll be at 2 billion next monday

Even if it does Based Jim will just take a massive steaming shit on capefags with A2.

Avatar 2 won’t even be top grosser that year.

Abatap's dead bros.

Barring Avatar 2, do we even have any potential megahits in the next 5 years?

you make that judgement off 4 days, you are fucking stupid user

The madman Cameron will release both 2 and 3 the same year or 3 the year after to ensure his box office record.

No and that's a good thing

Butthurt hater detected. I'll never understand how people still doubt Based Jim and honestlyyou'rejust outting yourself as a filthy r*dditor.

how was the industry 'better' after avatar except by slapping post-production 3D onto everything and trying to charge $15 for those shitty glasses. the influence of Avatar on its fellow blockubsters was short-lived and bad.

Disney owns both brainlet

16' LAMBERTS
If you don't know what I'm talking about I suggest you become informed. Capeshit is dead. Bury it.

The Snyder cut re-release of Justice League

and I was mentioning Marvel, because Avatar 2 will cleanse this earth of the capeshit scourge.

Avengers 2 came out 4 years ago. Expect Avengers 5 within the next 5.

Avenger5

Shut up you fucking dork

Wrong you fag.

Dead dead?

Honest question, why do people want Avengers to be #1? Do they want the standard of cinematic success to be a standard pattern generic flick that Hollywood tried to keep out of the Oscars?

They want to feel the success

the "I was there" factor

>abatap

Killed in Ukraine in 2015 I'm afraid. Was recruited by local forces and refused to wear Ukranian fatigues and opted for his own pair of tiger stripe BDUs to look more like a Na'vi. Tragically mowed down by a 23mm when he was spotted 2,000m away by Russian-friendly forces.

He died doing what he loved. I read he was especially handy with a PKM during his short-lived career.

Attached: hes with Eywa now.jpg (480x640, 65K)

7 out of 10 of those are owned by the mouse what the actual fuck

Avatar was an 8.5/10 film. Had cutting-edge effects for the time. Even still, I don't see how it made so much money.

How did it put LotR Return of the King to shame in earnings? That film was superior and had arguably better effects way back in 2003.

Hell, Helm's Deep in 2002 had better effects, plot and cinematography than the Battle of Winterfell, yet somehow they are being compared?

Avatar was a must see theatre experience unlike any other movie there's ever been. That's why it made so much money. Literally EVERYONE had to see it. My grandparents saw it for god's sake.

Avatar has aged better than LoTR

>had better effects
Nothing has better effects than Avatar you fucking shit

Attached: profiletiri.webm (1280x720, 2.86M)

Endgame is shit though, so there’s that.

Jeus, how this shit movie from 2009 still has the best cgi ever?

3D sucks and this film was no exception
The movie sucked, grow up.

I would say Endgame is most likely to dethrone Avatar, but there is a small chance Endgame is extremely frontloaded. Avatar 2 is most likely to overtake Endgame regardless if Endgame makes more or less than Avatar.

It doesn't matter because Avatar 2 will eventually top it

then Avatar 3 will top Avatar 4

Then Avatar 5 will Top Avatar 4

You will have 5 avatar movies in the Top grossing movies of all times
But again who cares? Both are owned by the Mouse

Attached: 1520719693586.jpg (539x447, 39K)

I meant Avatar 3 will top Avatar 2

They are all a year apart

This is what buttbhurt haters actually believe.

Cry more.

For big movies the studio gets 90% or more the first weekend (sometimes 100%) of the ticket sales, (normal movies might start at 80% and every weekend after the studio gets less% and the exbitors get a bigger %. Exhibitors pray for movies like my big fat Greek weeding that run for months.
The excitbors and studios are in bed together but the studios are on top. If the studio does not get their money, the theater might not get the next big release, or might only get the rights to one print.

Dune

Fuck I haven't seen Avatar really since 2009 and I can't believe the effects are that good still, Jesus Christ Cameron.

The Sonic movie is looking worse every second

Titanic was better than Avatar.

Nah, if you're a chick, maybe

Avatar was revolutionary. I watched it three times in the cinema. No other film other than maybe Lord of the Rings has made me want to exist in that world more than Avatar.

Yes.

And u r ghey for liking Avatar.

Dawn and War for the Planet of the Apes have brilliant CGI as well. However the scale of Avatar is also phenomenal. Weta Workshop's skill at CGI and special effects plus James Cameron's skill at visionary mega-worldbuilding created a cinematic masterpiece.

Fun story. In spring 2008 me & my gf was strolling down the street when we were asked if we wanted to preview a new 3D system + give opinions about a film called Avatar.

Yeah sure why the fuck not.

20 min later I was like BTFO of the cinema and we was like "wtf did we just watch?"

None of my coworkers, friends or family understood and was like yeayeah w/e.
18 months later they're like "Hoooly shit man you gotta go see this thing man"

It's predicted to beat Titanic within a fortnight of its release. I don't think beating Avatar would take much effort.