/ahg/

I can't take it anymore edition
post anything that's not related to whatever is going on right now

Attached: 1493662108200.jpg (1000x2600, 1.36M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DcKqVtTk0pg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PRri30gVBIw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yY4UXrMaC8
monova.to/7697694C7A641B74E9BC2D79490539814A7EAFEE
rutor.is/torrent/653582/ljubovnoe-srazhenie-vo-sne_combat-damour-en-songe-2000-dvdrip-sub
monova.to/25CB706528ADC4AFD3150F85B889D5377CE74B0D
rarbg2019.org/torrent/q1be8av
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140086
monova.to/4F11563C7CD2D9370F7964C0278C25F7CB866B2B
letterboxd.com/meganaustin/
rarbg.to/torrents.php?imdb=tt0165473
monova.to/A97FB1FEF2F184F7D97FF4341D9DEB8AADA659D5
monova.to/D6B13F149171E73EAB794FBF18E953156902C3AE
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4851932
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4850149
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where to start with Edward Yang? Is YiYi good?

Attached: Yi-Yi.jpg (500x250, 113K)

YiYi is his best imo so you should start with it if you're used to slow-paced films with a lot of character development, while A brighter summer day is just as slow paced but the plot is a bit more action-oriented, so it depends on what you prefer
but if you're new to Taiwanese cinema just start with Tsai Ming-Liang since his movies are shorter and you can get a feeling for the genre

Thanks. I have downloaded few Tsai Ming Liang's films recently so i will watch them first.

Yi Yi's a fine place to start. Yang's one of my favourite directors, and it was the first film of his that I saw. Taipei Story is also good to watch first. I would leave ABSD until last; there's so much going on with the plot and characters (not to mention its length) that you're better off getting a feel for his style first before tackling it.

Attached: A.Brighter.Summer.Day.1991.1080p.BluRay.x264.VPPV.webm (1920x1036, 3M)

The Weeping Meadow was kino. Angelopoulos was truly a master.

Attached: 7f4457d050689c05fa3ee8635eb525d2.jpg (1400x933, 120K)

I hope d.w.griffithfag returns to save us from this hell hole of cape shit and got

Where does one start with Angelopoplpolpolus?

I actually enjoyed my autistic debates with him than I did anything on this board for the past 5+ years
I sincerely hope he's not dead from anal bleeding from it though

You never know how much you really have until it's all gone

>un chien andalou

DUDE SHOCK VALUE, LMAO

Eternity and a Day or Landscape in the Mist are good starting points. Both are great. Then you can watch other films from trilogy of borders or trilogy of silence. The Travelling Players is probably his best film but i recommend watching it after you have seen some of his films and are familiar with his style. Alexander the Great is fantastic but very inaccessible.

Thanks fren, will do.

What does /anh/ think of Jonathan Glazer?

Attached: Under The Skin.mkv_snapshot_00.34.47_.jpg (1920x1038, 605K)

Alexander the great is well. great, but what about The hunters? I think it's a very underrated film of his and quite entry level since a lot of stuff happens while giving you a feeling for what his next movies are going to be like
my favorite is still Alexander he great but I wouldn't have checked it out if I din't explore his filmography by watching The hunters first

I forgot about The Hunters, that should definitely be watched before Alexander. I think it's great but not as great as Eternity and a Day, Travelling Players, Alexander the Great, Landscape in the Mist, Suspended Step of the Stork, Ulysses Gaze and The Weeping Meadow. I think Landscape and Eternity are more accessible than Hunters.

I don't know if I agree with you on them being better because all his movies kind of blend in my head but I disagree with them being more accessible, they all start very slow and in some cases are just very slow in general while The hunters starts fast and gives you a fast-paced plot to continuously keep up with, but that's maybe just because I tried Landscape and mist first which is arguably his slowest one first and was not so accustomed to slow cinema then

I have seen them after seeing Bela Tarr films so i didn't really think that they were slow, so that may be why i think they are more accessible. Also i have seen The Hunters with quite bad picture quality, i should probably rewatch it.

yeah again, I liked Alexander the Great a lot more but the hunters was just a seminal movie for me, kind of like a step up from what I had been watching up to then and it gave me an impression of what 'slow cinema' could be like, so maybe that's why I keep it in such high regard, kind of how I think Vive l'amour is Tsai's best film to this day because it introduced me to him although other people have a different opinion idk

This movie is amazing

Where to start with Philippe Grandrieux? Are his films worth watching?

Attached: feature-750x400.jpg (750x400, 36K)

I say just watch A lake and if you like skip him and go straight to Antoine d'Agata because he has nothing to offer

I would recommend watching chronologically. Yang is a master

Alright, thanks.

How is Abel Gance's Napoleon? The people I follow rate it pretty low.

It's worth watching. I thought it was pretty good.

Great epic if you don´t mind its propagandistic tone

Bump

It´s just me of is Ulysses Gaze the pinnacle of comfiness?

Lot of his movies have comfy melancholic feel to them.

Bump

Call me a pussy, but that moment at the end when the civilians use Sarajevo´s misty mornings for dancing moves me beyond belief.

>No Chaplin's "The Kid"
>Yea Forums guide can't even get the core canon right
Enjoy your forgettable french garbage

Bros I’m actually gonna kill myself if the capeshit/GoT stuff doesn’t stop, this is the worst this bird has been since BvS

what to and in what order i need to watch Rohmers Stuff???

Don´t be that grumpy, I´d rather have a couple of obscure discoveries than the same "hive mind list"

I agree. I actually like him so much because lot of his films have certain poetry and scenes to them that are extremely moving. Even his films that i didn't love like The Beekeeper and Voyage to Cythera have some interesting and emotionally resonant stuff in them.
That depends. You can just watch him chronologically. If you want to know which group of his films to watch first then pick one from 6 moral tales, one from comedies and proverbs and one from tales of four seasons. From 6 moral tales i recommend either Claire's Knee or My Night at Maud's. From comedies and proverbs i recommend The Green Ray or The Aviator's Wife. From tales of four seasons i recommend A Summer's Tale. But all of his films are good, some are better than others but all of them are worth watching and are very enjoyable, except his last 2 films which i didn't like that much. He also made some adaptations such as Perceval and Marquise of O which are also interesting.

Just wait till the new Star Wars releases.

>That depends. You can just watch him chronologically. If you want to know which group of his films to watch first then pick one from 6 moral tales, one from comedies and proverbs and one from tales of four seasons. From 6 moral tales i recommend either Claire's Knee or My Night at Maud's. From comedies and proverbs i recommend The Green Ray or The Aviator's Wife. From tales of four seasons i recommend A Summer's Tale. But all of his films are good, some are better than others but all of them are worth watching and are very enjoyable, except his last 2 films which i didn't like that much. He also made some adaptations such as Perceval and Marquise of O which are also interesting.

Thanks user, any suggestions to what else to watch of Satyajit Rays Stuff?? i already watched the apu tirlogy.

Can someone reccomend me a good vpn that will cover my ass? Really want to watch some old charlie chan flicks and 1 more strike from att I'm doomed

Attached: tumblr_oio2qplRhK1v3gtoxo1_1280.jpg (1280x1792, 639K)

For me it's Sonique Le Edgeaux

I didn´t watch as many Ray films as I wanted but Music Room and The Big City are great.

The Big City, Charulata, The Music Room, The Stranger, Devi, The Middleman, Adversary, Days and Nights in the Forest, The Hero are all good. Most of his stuff is worth watching especially the first 3 films i mentioned, those you should check out for sure and if you like them watch his other stuff.

Attached: Solaris.1972.Criterion.Collection.1080p.BluRay.x264.AAC.5.1-POOP.mp4_20190430_233353.460.png (1920x810, 2.16M)

this is nothing compared to the TFA spam
a thread like this would be impossible to have 2 weeks of it's release atleast

Can someone drop some more of those sweet, sweet infographics?

I'd start with A Summers Tale. Out of the 8 I've seen it's the most entertaining.

What directors have similar composition as Tarkovsky?

Can you watch Angelopoulos without having any knowledge of Greek history, politics etc? I heard the thematics of his movies rely on that a lot.

Where can I find Raoul Ruiz's movies? I had to watch "Three Crowns of the Sailor" and "The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting ". I can't find any of his other movies.

Tarr and Angelopoulos have similar use of long takes and similar camera movement, especially Angelopoulos. Konstantin Lopushanskiy was an apprentice to Tarkovsky. Dead Man's Letters and A Visitor to a Museum are worth watching from him.
I think you can, especially the ones i recommended as a starting points: Eternity and a Day and Landscape in the Mist can be enjoyed without knowledge of Greek history. The Beekeeper and Voyage To Cythera are also watchable with minimal knowledge about Greek history. Some of his other films make sense without knowledge but they are better if you know something about the history. The Travelling Players and The Weeping Meadow are great without it but if you know something about Greek history it will enhance your experience.
You can torrent them.

Claire's Knee

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-19-01h59m14s129.png (1280x720, 1.22M)

This is my favorite film. What would recommend that is similar in style and mood?

Attached: l.png (1280x720, 1.42M)

Thanks, user

Angelopoulos
Sokurov
Lopushansky
Dovzhenko
Tarr (but his movies are the opposite to Tarkovsky´s)

Most movies about unsupervised children end in horrific ways

This one ended pretty well though. Lil' Ana found a way to modulate between both worlds and essentially gained enlightened status.

Attached: vlcsnap-2015-12-23-22h46m05s127.png (1280x720, 399K)

Other Erice´s films like such ar The quince tree sun an El sur are good options

I can also reccomend you some Kiarostami works like Through the olive trees, Where is the friends home? and, my favourite, The wind will carry us away.

Is Tarkovsky overrated? I've watched a number of his films and haven't found any particularly great (Stalker being the best probably). And ones like Ivan's Childhood or Mirror just straight up bored me.

Attached: Solaris.1972.Criterion.Collection.1080p.BluRay.x264.AAC.5.1-POOP.mp4_20190430_204251.784.png (1920x810, 2.42M)

Forgot to mention The miracle of Marcelino (1955)

El Sur was good. I've been putting off Quince because there's no Hd version around.

I watched Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry and thought it was total garbage so never really dug deeper into his work. If I didn't hated that film would I like his other stuff?

Attached: The.Human.Condition.I.No.Greater.Love.1959.720p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.h.264-GABE.mkv_20190429_231650.007.png (1920x1080, 1.15M)

If I hated*

But I can't find torrents of his movies.

Andrei Rublev is his only good film and also the best all of the time.

I agree, I can only think of incredibly depressing films with little girl protagonists
what that other user said + Ana (1982), it's incredibly similar to Erice since it's from Portugal and magical and the protagonist has the same name, but it's a lot more like a documentary and only available in terrible quality unfortunately but a really great movie

Un Chien Andalou isn't really that "shocking" beyond the initial eye cutting scene and the ants crawling around on the guy's hand. The rest of it is just surreal shit.

oh and Manoel on the island of marvels would fit too I guess, it's also in super shit quality but totally worth it believe me

Which ones have you seen?
Most people consider Stalker or Andrei Rublev to be his best film

Is there a better documentary filmmaker than Wiseman?

Weird take desu.

Attached: titicutfollies.jpg (1200x675, 126K)

yeah
Watkins just to name one

Every fucking thread on the catalog is low-quality shit coupled with some fucking smug ass picture of Brie Larson, Daenerys or that Hobbit-looking Arya chick.

And as someone who's only watched three capeshits in the past decade and his never watched got all of these retarded threads read to me like "OH THIS MEANS THAT AFTER ENDGAME FUCKING JON SNOW IS GOING TO TAKE THE SOUL INFINITY STONE AND SHOVE IT UP CAPTAIN MARVEL'S ASSHOLE AT DRAGONSTONE IN WINTER" like niggas wtf is even going on who cares

I have fond memories of A taste of cherry, but it had a different approach to his other works so it would be a good idea to give them a chance.

Anyway, if you find his work too meta for your taste maybe M. Makhmalbaf and the rest of his family´s work can be more of taste.

>Human condition pic
DAMN that trilogy was harsh...

Attached: The.Human.Condition.III.1961.CRITERION.DVDRip.x264.AC3-KARiNA.mkv_snapshot_03.09.30_[2016.12.01_01.5 (720x368, 46K)

I'll look into thanks.

And just to be clear the recs don't have to be same plot wise, I just want to find films in the style and tone of Erice films.

Rublev, Stalker, Solaris, Ivan, & Mirror.

I enjoyed the former three but wouldn't class any of them as "great". The latter two are just shit.

It's been a while since I watched them so I'm wondering if a rewatch change my opinion. (though I just watched Solaris and my opinion did not changed)

Attached: A.Few.Good.Men.1992.1080p.BluRay.AC3.x264-ETRG.mkv_20190426_180839.656.png (1920x816, 2.16M)

Chris Marker

>style and tone and almost no plot
this is your guy then
youtube.com/watch?v=DcKqVtTk0pg

>Three Lives and Only One Death
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PRri30gVBIw
>Manuel on the Island of Wonders
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yY4UXrMaC8
It's only the first part that guy has 2nd and 3rd part on his channel and he also has City of Pirates on there.
>Love Torn in a Dream
I don't whether any of these torrents work but you can try.
monova.to/7697694C7A641B74E9BC2D79490539814A7EAFEE
rutor.is/torrent/653582/ljubovnoe-srazhenie-vo-sne_combat-damour-en-songe-2000-dvdrip-sub
>Mysteries of Lisbon
Try one of these.
monova.to/25CB706528ADC4AFD3150F85B889D5377CE74B0D
rarbg2019.org/torrent/q1be8av
>Treasure Island
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140086
He has shit ton of films bit here are some of them.
I don't think so. Stalker, The Mirror and Andrei Rublev are amazing. You need to be in a certain state of mind to watch them. And some of them get better when you rewatch then. Sacrifice is also good.

I'll look into them, thanks.

I found ToC to be too solemn? I guess. Like it was taking its suicide plot so serious and there was no passion to it. I dunno. But I fucking hated that movie.

Attached: Demons - Demoni 1985 BDRip 1080p HEVC ITA ENG AC3-NAHOM.mkv_20190425_140714.748.png (1792x1080, 1.04M)

Thank you, user. I have one more question - do you know any movies that are at least remotely similar to The Saragossa Manuscript?
It also doesn't have to be similar, only to have a lot of storytelling.

Haven't gotten into him yet.
He's my second fave
I love Close Up

Where the fuck are you guys? Do you just shitpost and lurk until an arthouse thread pops up like me

Attached: 1556496351373.jpg (394x395, 50K)

>>style and tone and almost no plot
literally not what they said

I come on to check if there is an arthouse/lbd thread and leave if there isn't one.

Is there any way to bypass the 5GB mega.nz limit?

If you want to give him another chance try The Sacrifice, it feels different to his other movies for a lot of reasons

I'm the OP, it's the first time I made a ahg thread since I was fed up with the state of the board, I was completely prepared for it to get to page 10 with 0 replies but fortunately it didn't
it shows there are some people still invested in discussing movies here, I encourage you guys to make threads for the hell of it and see how it goes
I 'literally' (and mean literally) quoted him though

No problem. Unfortunately no, i don't know anything like Saragossa Manuscript. Maybe check out the Ashes from Andrzej Wajda, it's set during Napoleonic wars and it's quite long.
monova.to/4F11563C7CD2D9370F7964C0278C25F7CB866B2B

have you seen The hour glass sanatorium? also check out Cocteau

If I loved Persona but found The Seventh Seal mostly boring (while still appreciating the spiritual themes) what would be a good next Bergman film for me?

Thank you so much, user. Cheers.

>have you seen The hour glass sanatorium
Yeah, I've loved it also, but not as much as The Saragossa Manuscript (it's still a god tier movie, though).
>Cocteau
He's been in my backlog for a long time. Which of his movies should I check out first? Also when I think of him, I have a picture of a guy who focuses on gay relationships in his movies.

I filter the trash. 19 shit threads removed.

Attached: filters.jpg (419x313, 42K)

none of his films have gay elements from what I remember (or maybe they did but the symbolism just went over my head), but I think of Has as in the tradition of these French fantastical surrealist films, which started with Melies and Cocteau, I think Beauty and the beast adaptation is the most in that style, it's still my favorite fairy tale adaptation movie to this day it's so beautiful

Attached: jean-cocteau-beauty-and-the-beast-three[1].jpg (750x560, 81K)

What are essential Henri Clouzot films?

Are any Juzo Itami films worth watching beyond Tampopo?

Thanks for the input, I'll start with Beaty and the Beast then. What about Melies, which movies of his should I check out?

how?

The Wages of Fear and Les Diaboliques obviously

Attached: Le Salaire De La Peur BDRip 1080p.mkv_snapshot_02.28.34_.jpg (1478x1080, 224K)

Cries and Whispers, without a doubt, followed, maybe, by his "God´s silence trilogy" (Through the glass darkly, The silence and Winter light)

just get the dvd with all of them, they're 1-2 minute long some of them stand out most of them don't, but they're nice to see since they're so old

No problem, user. With Couteau you can just go chronologically, he hasn't made that many films.
That's hard to say try checking out Wild Strawberries, Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers, Through the Glass Darkly and Fanny and Alexander.

holy shit literally didnt know this was a thing. Goodbye marvel threads!

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-20-16h44m00s988.png (960x720, 348K)

>The wages of fear

I fucking love that movie.

Also goodbye trap threads when I visit /gif/

Attached: jean-claude-brialy-claires-knee3.png (1024x768, 759K)

no those are good

Attached: Annotation 2019-05-01 003718.png (1181x507, 491K)

youre right they are good

if youre a fag

Attached: invs.jpg (655x1024, 81K)

I guarantee you have masturbated to a trap in a straight thread before and didn't even know it. I see them in every thread.

>Human Condition
>2,5
>A Few Good Men
>5
I don't understand.

In the catalog.

Attached: fff.jpg (1906x516, 204K)

>Do you just shitpost and lurk until an arthouse thread pops up like me
Yeah I mostly come here to shitpost, threads like this one are just a nice bonus but I always try to post in them sincerely and help with recommendations
Yea Forums and the rest of the internet destroyed my interest in Star Wars as well as GoT and Capeshit. Watching people fight with real passion and conviction over whether or not the latest film/episode was the best or worst thing ever just left me feeling like it wasn't for me since I don't have strong feelings either way. They're just 6/10 franchises I watch with my friends to be sociable and that's all they've ever been to me. Spoiled because I want to vent but I also don't want to shit up a good thread

Attached: bane.png (569x802, 563K)

I found THC to be a one dimensional I guess. Characters felt like caricatures, acting and speaking in ways to prove some policital point rather than be human. I could feel the writer come through too often. (I'm not deterred though and will be watching the sequel at some point).

A few good men is just top tier melodrama and tightness in script - it doesnt miss a beat and I loved every minute of it. It's not directly comparable to something like THC though

Attached: A.Few.Good.Men.1992.1080p.BluRay.AC3.x264-ETRG.mkv_20190426_180522.624.png (1920x816, 3.58M)

I'll just believe that to be untrue

Attached: 13985370617914.png (500x481, 32K)

This one is all I have
Bullet Ballet was good and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it

Attached: n1O0YvW.jpg (1704x1744, 591K)

ok those are the natives, I'm using the Yea Forums x ones.

He's done posting here. He puts up reviews on Letterboxd but some of what he posts ends up getting shadowbanned, I think.
letterboxd.com/meganaustin/

Everybody should watch this film. It's called Demons (1971) and it's fantastic.
I have seen it a long time ago but i thought THC is one of the greatest war films ever.

Attached: MV5BNDhlYmE5MWQtYmE0ZS00MTk5LTlkMDItNGVmM2EzY2Q0NmY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY1MzQyOTY@._V1_SX667_CR0,0,667 (667x999, 63K)

This one is kinda memey but it still has some solid points

Attached: Film depth.png (785x3593, 622K)

Where can a find a torrent?

he really is the weirdest
conversations with him never came to anything since he always seemed to move the post to his ballpark by not replying to anything you said and copy-pasting something about Griffith instead and now I understand why, he has not seen a single film past 1930 that's not hollywood garbage, I mean he gives Frozen 5 stars and Nosferatu 1 1/2 but good for him I have nothing against the guy, I guess his brain just can't get past the idea that cinema can go past the formulaic stories of the silent era

rarbg.to/torrents.php?imdb=tt0165473
There's a 1080p copy on avistaz too.

Try one of these
monova.to/A97FB1FEF2F184F7D97FF4341D9DEB8AADA659D5
monova.to/D6B13F149171E73EAB794FBF18E953156902C3AE
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4851932
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4850149

Thank you, based user

Attached: usg.png (1866x1256, 2.33M)

>La Belle Noiseuse
Kino, Jacques Rivette was probably the best French New Wave director.

Attached: a468b8b851c25e3c17a5417433872629.jpg (1134x1500, 258K)

>thread that isnt capeshit or got
Surprised its lasted this long

Also OPs pic could use an edit, swap way down east with The Passion of Joan of Arc and another film with Man With a Movie Camera and maybe some Chaplin kino, City Lights probably

Attached: Screenshot_20190430-214223_Gallery.jpg (1440x1035, 424K)

Unfollow these people

Don't die on me now kino thread

Attached: The Passenger (1975).mkv_20190427_150206.912.png (1280x688, 1.84M)

Attached: h-doh1080-x264.mkv_20190426_025501.372.png (1920x1080, 1.88M)

Attached: La.belle.noiseuse.1991.720p.BluRay.x264-DEPTH.mkv_20190427_124948.328.png (992x720, 1.13M)

Attached: 15698_5.jpg (728x410, 72K)

What movie is this??

Yumeji by Seijun Suzuki

Love it
I can vouch for Le Trou and Z
Lowest I go is Sharits and Snow. Recommend both.

Attached: sharitskino.jpg (1280x720, 127K)