Pure, blessed kino

Pure, blessed kino.

Why did it flop? This is easily one of Scorsese's best films. Silence is one of the few films you can watch and find yourself catching your breath in your throat.

Any more faith kino suggestions?

Attached: images.jpg (194x260, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EEKtxivCbkY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because audiences are drones have turned away from God and towards mindless consumer tentpole CGI garbage like capeshit

>triggers atheists because is about god
>triggers protestants because is about catholics
>triggers right wingers because they see the priests as they see muslims trying to convert their countries
>triggers left wingers because they see it as european cultural colonization
>triggers weebs because the japanese are the antagonists
etc.
It literally had no audience

I hadn't thought of it so much before watching this movie recently, but I really like Liam Neeson. He seems undervalued a lot as an actor. I always enjoy seeing him show up in movies. Also, Evian bottle and cosh.

both correct

I liked it. My favourite kino from 2016

TRAMPLE, TRAMPLE! It's okay to trample...

One of my favorite scenes years later:
youtu.be/EEKtxivCbkY

Kino film.

like any great actor he should be used sparingly and to great effect

I liked that he had a kind of 'colonel kurtz' role in this. powerful stuff

>Why did it flop?
Shitty distribution. I was looking forward to this movie and wasn’t able to see it. I live in a big city and the only theatre showing it was way out in the boonies.

Amazing movie. Talk about a sleeper, I had no idea it would be as good as it was.

fpbp

>Any more faith kino suggestions?
Diary of a Country Priest.

Attached: vlcsnap-5836-07-22-02h03m35s990.png (640x480, 214K)

Its up there with his best, top 5 easily.

One of the best films about faith, true faith while also exploring conflicts with faith, faith as an invader etc. It covers everything.

Leaves you feeling spiritually fulfilled in the end, I loved it.

My thoughts on why it flopped:
- historical drama released when there were quite a few, audiences probably couldn't tell the difference between this and hacksaw ridge (both in Japan, both with Andrew garfield)
- when you say scorsese audiences expect good fellas and wolf of wall street and the departed, this ain't those films
- also kind of similar to unbroken that released a few years prior, on a surface level.

Shame because this is a remarkable bit of cinema

A really pointless movie. It didn't make me think. It didn't evoke any emotional response. It never challenged any of my beliefs. For a film where one's faith is a central theme that's a pretty disappointing outcome.

I watched it in an Asian studies course. Think it was my (white) teacher's first time watching it cause afterwards he was quiet as if thinking "oh god, I've wasted my life studying a culture that hates me..."

T. Godless edgelord

The Mission had the same fate, and it was also a masterpiece.

Attached: mission.jpg (303x445, 19K)

I'm a weeb atheist right winger and i loved it.

Attached: 1545552455312.png (868x958, 258K)

That inquisitor scenes were top kino

Silence is good if you're an athiest. But if you're looking for Christ-kino then it definitely isn't that. I've already gone at length on Yea Forums discussing why so I'll just say that Silence doesn't hold Christ in high regard, either through its characters or imagery. Christ never denied he was the son of god, and he always treated it as hypocritical or a failure in character from those who denied knowing him.

Real Christ-Kinos incoming:

- Jesus of Nazereth
- The Passion of the Christ
- Paul Apostle of Christ
- Les Miserables (2012)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (musical)

Honestly I think it’s one of Scorsese’s very best films. Absolutely loved it, best film of the year. Sad that it didn’t do well and didn’t seem to get much recognition, while WoWS is the kind of thing he’ll be remembered for.

The only thing that I didn’t like was Neeson’s complete lack of an accent.

>Christ never denied he was the son of god, and he always treated it as hypocritical or a failure in character from those who denied knowing him.

He also forgave those that denied him, Peter most notably.

thoughts on Prince of egypt and the miracle maker?

I liked it and i'm a heathen, the need to self insert is the highest mark of a pleb.

>Tfw no Kichijiro friend.

Attached: file.png (720x405, 591K)

Prince of Egypt is cool, but its Old Testament, so they reek of Jewish power fantasy instead of the loving wisdom of Christ.

I remember watching the Miracle Maker in Church years ago when I was little. Might check it out again, thanks.

>>Tfw no Kichijiro friend.
He was JC wasn't he?

Attached: 1539418903701.jpg (1200x800, 123K)

>Killed all his star wars gainz just to appear in a Martin Scorsese kino for 3 minutes.

I respect that not gonna lie.

Attached: file.png (894x670, 979K)

when he was asking to confess just before the pit scene I thought it was a vision of hell

I mention them both because Ralph Fiennes voice acted in both and I quite enjoyed his voice as jesus in the miracle maker

Let me add:
>triggers sandniggers lovers by showing a State's proper response to a disruptive ideology

probably why Christians are getting purged in the middle East and Africa then

I haven't seen it but you are making it to sound like fucking shit. What's the point of a movie if it doesn't appeal to literaly anyone?

Was Kichijiro Jesus? He does sacrifice himself at the end.

>Why did it flop?
Because serious cinema always does. I don't know why you would expect anything different.

The Mission is middlebrow armchair foam.

One of the best movies I've ever seen and I'm not even remotely religious.

Shocked at how good it was given its lukewarm reception.

>tfw you recognize the Jap actors in the movie because of watching Japanese shows

Nana looked real smelly

Attached: 1543834563782.jpg (1280x720, 139K)

>Pure, blessed kino.
More like pure fucking garbage

Garfields complete lack of talent is already enough to ruin the film, but there are gigantic amounts of other problems aswell. The movie is extremely 'hollywoodized' and i didnt feel for 1 instant that i was watching anything that was supposed to be happening several hundred years ago. Most side characters were also very poorly casted/acted and the accents themselves are a prime sources of second hand embarrassment... use of 'foreign' languages and latin for that matter is essentially nonexistent.

Silence didnt even attempt to paint anything culturally or otherwise interesting to the canvas. If the japanese culture was presented as an actual culture that is based on buddhism and ancient tradition, the movie might actually have had something interesting going for it, but no... it was just a 1 dimensional inane adventure of 2 priests to an equally 1 dimensional foggy japan. Ultimately the film was boring as fuck, there wasnt anything spiritually interesting happening either, just empty rhetoric and emotionless lamentations delivered poorly by Garfield. I couldnt wait for it to be over. The only well casted and acted characters were the Ciaran Hinds's and Adam Drivers characters, the movie might actually have been somewhat watchable if Garfields and Drivers roles were reversed. If my seat wouldnt have been in the middle of a row, i wouldve walked out.

If you want to see a movie adaptation of this story, you are 10 times better off watching the original silence (Chinmoku) from 1971. Or if you want to see something that attempts to explore cultural differences of 17th century europe and japan and doesnt completely botch it up, watch Shogun mini series from 1980. If you just want to see an immersive, interesting and well written/directed period piece that is set in a christian setting, watch The Name of the Rose.

>What's the point of a movie if it doesn't appeal to literaly anyone?
Telling a good story maybe? Having good characters? Drama, tension, conflict, emotional moments, great visuals, music, etc You don't need to see yourself reflected on the screen to enjoy a work of fiction user. You don't need fanservice either. That's something a GoT roastie or a Marvel drone would want. Fuck them plebs.

This movie is fucking brutal. Some of the most intense scenes of suffering I've ever seen on film. It's profoundly uncomfortable to watch but a masterpiece nonetheless.

People die in this movie in the most fucked up ways imaginable. The Japanese are goddamn monsters.

>If you want to see a movie adaptation of this story, you are 10 times better off watching the original silence (Chinmoku) from 1971. Or if you want to see something that attempts to explore cultural differences of 17th century europe and japan and doesnt completely botch it up, watch Shogun mini series from 1980. If you just want to see an immersive, interesting and well written/directed period piece that is set in a christian setting, watch The Name of the Rose.
Your taste is laughable, you sound like someone's suburban mother. Get murdered! :D

I was surprised she was in the movie

All of the intellectual content was cut out. There are no direct quotations of scripture. Audiences didn't know whether the Japanese understood the doctrines of Christ or were simply being massacred for no reason.

And you sound like a drooling retard, go back to r*ddit with your emojis and edgy memes. Otherwise feel free to elaborate on the exact points that make my taste laughable.

Would the reason make a difference?

Best make up ever. They transformed a literal angel into a filthy peasant.

Attached: nana-komatsu.jpg (673x449, 155K)

>your emojis and edgy memes
Fuck off, you weren't joking, you actually like whippet shit, pretending to be retarded now won't help you.

It didn't "flop." A film like this isn't supposed to be rewarded by the devil's material currency, rather it is an achievement of the spirit and of those who were inspired by it. It was film of the century in that regard, along with The Young Pope seriously are the only things that give me hope for film and tv moving forward during this dark hour.

>you actually like whippet shit, pretending to be retarded now won't help you.
Time to take your pills, you arent making any sense and you cognitive abilities are clearly hampered.

the audience is directly told the kirishitans don't understand the teachings of christ.

I dunno, the Catholic Church did some pretty twisted stuff too

Kino

This a great movie even you are not christian, it's technically very impressive.

I can't even belive it was made on the first place

She's very cute

Well it would be interesting to know what aspects of Christianity conform to Buddhist teachings and which manage to contrast with it. Garfield's performance doesn't bother me, but the character is entirely tongue-tied throughout the film... so the 'courtroom drama' aspect and the clash-of-civilizations aspect doesn't really come off. Yet as the visual counterpoint to the priest's mission, the film is very affecting and interesting.

Attached: hellstar1.jpg (1456x1057, 245K)

They literally said in the movie that they didn't understand the teachings and that they thought God was the sun just like in Japanese mythology.

I'd let her trample me

>Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Attached: gits-post-1.jpg (1920x1080, 361K)

>very very very slowly killing people by dripping boiling water on them as they're tied to a stake over the course of a month

Yikes dude.

I don't remember the movie belittling japanese culture and buddhism. There were many moments where they implied how much coth cultures could coexist and learn with one another. And it doesn't make the Inquisitor a cartoon villain,
The movie felt to me like a real story to me.Which is very rare nowadays.

Ultimate Christ Kino:

King James Version of the Bible

Would you recommend the Mary Magdalene movie starring Joaquin Phoenix as JC? Anybody?

Imagine being this retarded.

>- Les Miserables (2012)
???

The one issue with religious films is that 'In Drama, Contingency is routine, while Coincidence is divine'. Where's the divine aspect in the film's sense of coincidence?

Attached: 779895833-quote-Henry-A_-Wallace-it-is-no-coincidence-that-the-growth-35461.png (1000x554, 84K)

It belittles japs by implying that they can't fathom Christ being the son of God based on false ethnolinguistic semantics when even a peasant would have known the emperor was descended from a literal line of deities.

Now I have to watch the original to clean my palette

I'm staying away from it. Just doesn't seem like it will paint Jesus in a positive light.

Whole movie is about being a good christian.

The movie is kino, i don't get why being an atheist or not matter

>If my seat wouldnt have been in the middle of a row, i wouldve walked out.
Bullshit, there wouldn't have been enough people in the theatre to matter.