Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with...

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

What's his fucking problem?

Attached: 1_zLy8sUjeCBvdB2G1r1BffQ.jpg (620x413, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banquet_of_Chestnuts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are the white walkers tax policy?

How much would you have to pay monthly in order to aliment a dragon

>The Lannisters are made of money and the crown is millions in debt to them
>Oh yeah but the Lannisters ran out of gold years ago and are millions in debt to the Iron bank
>Let's just rob the Tyrells, who have enough gold on hand to pay off our debts, which means they were way richer than us the whole time.

GRRM has nothing on Tolkein.

Orcs don't have babies fatass.

Attached: Doyle-Wolfgang-Von-Frankenstein-48.jpg (1440x2160, 715K)

>Let's just rob the Tyrells, who have enough gold on hand to pay off our debts, which means they were way richer than us the whole time.

That's only on the show though, isn't it?

Top 10 Best Worldbuilding of All Time (final)

100000. A Song of Ice and Fire
10.The Elder Scrolls
9. Star Wars (Lucas and Mainstream EU/Legends)
8. Tower of God
7. Warhammer Fantasy
6. Homer's epics
5. One Piece
4. Hinduism (Four Vedas, Two Epics)
3. Bionicle
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
1. Middle-Earth

Attached: a830e8df229e88355a4f38b9bb6da486.jpg (474x540, 44K)

>>Oh yeah but the Lannisters ran out of gold years ago and are millions in debt to the Iron bank
Show only, you dumb showfag.

I disagree on Bionicle that high. Its just kiddy shit. Avatar the last airbending should replace that spot.

I disagree on Shonen Piece that high, its just shonen trash like any other.

I also disagree on Jojo that high, Jojo is a fucking mess that makes no sense, worldbuilding my ass. Hamon > Meme Stands.

i feel like one piece should be higher up but thats a pretty good list desu

one piece has great world building though even if it is shounen trash, the world of one piece is far more interesting than the main plot with the protagonists

GRRM is eternally seething that he is going to be dead in the next 10 years and will never, ever reach the heights of Tolkein with his War of the Roses fanfiction.

>its just kiddy shit
>suggests avatar
I mean I don't think that avatar has bad world building but lol

"I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men, it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, on why he didn't write A Song of Ice and Fire

based. newfags don't understand

I will let that slide as long as you agree with me on the Jojo one.

Also seriously Avatar did some great worldbuilding. I have never even watched the show because I was too old when it came out to watch anime, but I saw a Youtube video about it and convinced me that the author really put some good effort on worlbuilding.

This fat fuck must not have read any of appendices or the Silmarillion.

>complains about Tolkiens world building
>writes a convoluted mess with too many characters which is reeling under its own weight and will likely never be completed
lol

agree on both avatar and jojo senpai

Martin is nobody compared to Tolkien, but I do think this is a good quote, because it illustrates how Martin is a very different world-builder than Tolkien. Tolkien was more interested in culture, through European mythology, through religion and mysticism, and through language. Martin's work is obviously informed by Tolkien and the broader fantasy genre, but he's also interested in how actual medieval societies functioned. Of course, I've read a few pages of the books and watched about 20 minutes of the first episode, and decided I have no real interest in GoT, but this is the impression I get.

Based.

ive read my share of books and ive read all the greek epics and you can arguably call me a fag but i do state that the silmarillion is by far the most epic/ grandiose shit I've ever read

>implying anything he said is wrong
He's just challenging Tolkien's more fantastic tone and asking what would happen if the characters were treated more like real people. So - what's your fucking problem? Pic unrelated.

Attached: 118.jpg (1001x1500, 287K)

Actually, he just says "Not worth doing". He doesn't explain why it wouldn't be worth doing.

Best post I've seen in one of these threads in a long time, thank you.

Is this Asuka my good user?!

Way to out yourself as a pleb who didn't read the books.

Unironic top worldbuilding as a personal opinion.

5. ASOIF
4. WH40k, but it's dune inspired.
3. Star Kinos EU
2. Dune
1. Tolkien

the joke is that literally the opposite happened in the show and could happen in the books (i doubt it)

You better believe it. Her name's Shirogane Sama, there's a torrent of her stuff on /hr/.

Attached: 4.jpg (1441x2160, 515K)

that criticism may be applicable if germ actually did any of what he preaches and other than the tax nonsense all of it is addressed in the appendices

>Did he maintain a standing army
not a full one

>What did he do in times of flood and famine?
nothing mentioned but does it need to be?

>And what about all these orcs? Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
yes he aragorn wiped out most of the orc tribes and re-established many of the towns in arnor. the remaining orcs fled north iirc

>implying the books aren't for plebs to begin with

Attached: 1550693869113.jpg (645x729, 46K)

Fuckin kino list. I'd add Berserk when it's done

That's a charitable interpretation of the joke. That GRRM quote has been passed around on Yea Forums since before the show ran out of source material and became complete shit. Even now, these threads are always about mocking GRRM - without really talking about the show.

So you haven't read the books.

>Dune
I've never understood whats so good about it, I have read it and is pretty much just medieval fatasy on space that passes magic and prophecy as sci-fi .

What is the white walkers stance on abortion and transgender hormone therapy?

the "fantasia" arc ruined it imo

We actually don't know if Casterly Rock is still mined for gold or if the mine that house Lannister built its seat on itself is depleted. It would make thematic sense for the gold in that specific mine to have run out even if it wouldn't make the Lannisters poor in any measure as the overlords of the gold rich Westerlands.

>What's his fucking problem?
Diabetes? High blood pressure? Ruined knees? Concave penis?

The balls on this fat fuck to even mention tolkien

>the people criticizing Martin unironically read Warcraft and Warhammer "novels"

Attached: 1546895901924.jpg (250x238, 8K)

Tolkien grew up during one of the defining wars of Human history and his work was inspired by having to live through that time.

GRRM is an edgelord who has known nothing but peace and abundance.

25% on all chain exports

What you know as White Walkers don't exist in the books. In novelsthere are the Others, who are more akin to what happens when an elf fuck a gray man and have a children that are necromancers that magically shape ice to make pimpin suits of ristal clear armor and weapons in place of being old blue dudes in medieval biker gear.
As for what they want, fuck if we know.

More info why TES is top 10 please.

>AGHHHHHHHHHH LEGOLAS HELP ME HE'S TRYING TO PLACE AN INHERITANCE TAX ON THE RING OF BARAHIR

Attached: aragorn vs sauron deleted.jpg (1020x576, 49K)

>GRRM is an edgelord who has known nothing but peace and abundance.
>Martin grew up in the post war during all the social movements.
It's ironic that you try define others by describing yourself, user.

>when it's done
You're getting more idolmaster, shitlord

Attached: 1554352174328.jpg (395x560, 72K)

Says the fat fuck who lets a little girl destroy his sauron.

I haven't read Tolkein, but based on context, it sounds like it ends with Aragorn becoming king? So is his quibble "Tolkein is an inadequate writer because he doesn't explain what happens after the book ends?" Is his issue literally that the book has an ending?

>Tower of God
So your priorities are pretty boys>argument, uh?

Is that why Tolkien basically glorifies war and battle, depicting Sauron as an absolute evil that must be defeated and can't be negotiated with, and why Martin consistently portrays war as a bad thing?
>"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."

Yeah but hes right. Tolkien focused on bringing together thousands of years of mythology into what became the pinnacle of the 'fantasy' setting, but he never bothered to look at good vs evil and rulers vs ruled in any meaningful sense. It was literally just black and white, the humans are good, the elves are okay, the dwarfs are good, they fight sometimes and orcs are evil.

Martin wanted his setting to be one where you didnt just root for one person or family, because they all did good things and horrible things.

Of course the show fucking failed miserably to capture that after season 2 but whatever thats the directors failure.

Warhammer novels have a different role. ASoIaF are a complete product designed to entertain the reader. Warhammer novels are add-ons designed to help with world building and add to the character of the faction that the novel is dedicated to. Part of the charm of the board game is the fantasy of being a commander for Your Dudes, and the novels are there to help you get into that role by describing who Your Dudes are and how they do things.

This is Yea Forums

>Thread is mostly showtards only shitting on the autor of the books for shit the showrunners did.
Yup, I'm in Yea Forums alright.

Dark Souls even has better world building than TeS despite the minimal and often abstract scripting and dialogue.

>GRRM is an edgelord who has known nothing but peace and abundance.
He explicitly went out and talked to as many veterans as he could in order to understand what war really was. Obviously he has never fought himself but he does care about war and its effect on people, and I think his portrays in the books are pretty accurate to war being shitty for everyone and never glorious.

The first 3 books are better than any Tolkienshit to be honest. But after that, yeah I admit the series went to shit.

No, his quibble is that Tolkien presents the story of the Lord of the Rings with a fantastical, almost biblical tone. The characters aren't like real people, the politics aren't like they'd actually, realistically play out, and the details of how the world would realistically work are effectively ignored. ASOIAF is basically GRRM's response to that.

And this is a thread about GRRM, the author of the books. We're talking about the books in this thread regardless of whether we're on Yea Forums or Yea Forums or /fit/.

popsicles are tax exempted

>This is Yea Forums
>Autists speak like they're talking about the books.
If Yea Forums can shit on you fags why can't Yea Forums do it?

Right, but shouldn't he then point out parts from the NARRATIVE that don't address those things, rather than asking questions about shit AFTER the narrative?

>muh battle is da worst thing ever
>He still thinks medieval wars of Europe were at all comparable to modern wars
LMAO

Tolkien is every other fantasy author's punching bag. It's a dishonest way of publicly distancing themselves from a work so grand they know they'll never be able to top it, because It's a bit like going toe to toe with Shakespeare: Even your best attempt will never compare, so you try to convince yourself and others that it's still something of merit, something that the grand master missed or didn't have the integrity to include.
revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953

Attached: Michael-Moorcock.jpg (620x413, 43K)

You should give the first one a try. It reads more like a history book but in a fantasy setting than a pure fantasy. GRR does have talent in capturing different peoples views and showing the grey in morality.

The show does not in any shape or form give his books justice.

The only reason the things he brings up in the quote take place after LotR's narrative is because his questions are about Aragorn's reign, which coincidentally takes place after the story is over.

I don't know what you're badly attempting to say.

The problem with our world is that we DIDN'T genocide our orcs.

The Goktrek and Felix series is unironically better than ASOIAF

I put JoJo that high as meme answer, but I will say that once you truly start to "get" the JoJo universe it easily becomes one of the most interesting, fun, compelling stories in manga. It's essentially a world composed of the force of ideas, where the two strongest forces are possibility and belief, but there is far far more to understand. Reread Part 6 and 7, then reread Part 1.

Attached: 94e005c18b383d12a8924d5d1367610d.jpg (728x1199, 60K)

>He still thinks medieval wars of Europe were at all comparable to modern wars

Attached: 1552232952734.jpg (600x1147, 67K)

Right, so I'm saying that's a brainlet way to frame your quibble. He should be asking questions about how they had enough provisions for the journey, or about how Sauron handled sanitation, or whatever: shit that was actually in the purview of what Tolkein set out to do

I think season one really does come pretty close. It's far from perfect, but at least it's basically a beat-for-beat retelling of A Game of Thrones, which limits how badly they could have fucked it up.

Fun fact: there aren't any real-world orcs. They're an invention of fantasy author JRR Tolkien. The more you know.

He's not saying tolkein should have answered these questions. He's explaining the direction he personally took, based off Tolkein. GRRMs books are basically Tolkein, if you cared about the taxes.

I cant tell if you're so retarded you think modern wars are terrible, or if you're so retarded you think ancient wars were good.

War is shit, throughout all histories and periods.

This isn't relevant. GRRM set out to tell a more realistic story than Lord of the Rings. That's the core of the quote. Have a nice day.

Basically this. Do retards actually interpret that quote as GRRM telling Tolkien what he should have done?

>I think season one really does come pretty close. It's far from perfect, but at least it's basically a beat-for-beat retelling of A Game of Thrones, which limits how badly they could have fucked it up.
It goes to shit really quickly, you can pass on Season 2 but 3 and beyond is just a disaster. Some plotlines are better than others but nothing captures the overall books atmosphere beyond 1.

I've only just recently watched the LOTR films and am trying to read up on the wiki and even I know this is an ignorant as fuck take, like you're going out of your way to not get it to try and act high and mighty.

Tolkien could probably nick pick ASOIAF apart if he wanted but he'd just come across as much a prick.

>Do retards actually interpret that quote as GRRM telling Tolkien what he should have done?
Of course they do, pic related.

Attached: 34b.png (644x644, 936K)

unironically it was explored, they demanded a male baby every once in a while for immunity and maybe even protection

Literally wrote about fire resistant humanoids that mind controlled dragons and a prophecy, just because some family members hated each other JUST LIKE REAL LIFE, doesn't change the fact of what it is, bang bang.

He wanted a fantasy story that was more realistic and closer to history, rather than the mythological LOTR. I don't understand why so many people use this passage to shit on him, the tax policy line is obviously just hyperbole. It's not like Robb Stark, Renly, or Joffrey have hyper detailed tax policies in the books. Also keep in mind GRRM doesn't write the show, all the stupid shit in that has little to nothing to do with him.

Warhammer 40k is Warhammer Fantasy Battle IN SPAAACE + everything that was popular about sci-fi in the 80's. It stole from EVERYTHING, hardly just Dune. Pic related.

Attached: 1554681213081.jpg (1312x1587, 1.89M)

Nigger did you just put manga trash over Homer's epics? You need to neck yourself, I doubt you ever touched the Odyssey.

>Comparing Tolkien and GRR
Yeah, na. Tolkien was all about mythology. His books are basically a love song to human mythology. GRR is more history based, and while he tacked on fantasy it is not the main purpose and honestly could have worked without it. Neither could do both in the same series, not without dying of old age before finishing which is basically what happened to both anyway (or will, soon)

Tolkien would hate ASOIAF for portraying humans realistically and for questioning the idea of the hereditary monarchies that he worships.

Don't get me wrong; ASOIAF has plenty of magic, though it only makes rare appearances. I'm saying that ASOIAF is realistic in that it treats the humans like real people (read: it treats how they act realistically, I'm not referring to fire-resistant people like Daenerys), treats the politics as if they were real, etc.

>One Piece
>"manga trash"

Look who's the real pleb here.

I'm trying to say you are a faggot with a modern perspective of war and thus do not understand how innocent war was in the dark ages.

The idea that millions of civilians were just thrust into battle and forced to kill like modern conscription armies is false.
The idea that medieval peasants were victims of their monarchs is very Marxist.

How does this post responds to anything said in the previous post?
Also
>Literally wrote about fire resistant humanoids
This one is wrong.

>The idea that millions of civilians were just thrust into battle and forced to kill like modern conscription armies is false.
>The idea that medieval peasants were victims of their monarchs is very Marxist.
Oh you're retarded

You forgot that is 70% based on being as heavymetal as possible.

Chronicles of Amber deserves an honorable mention

War was never innocent.
>millions
No. Thousands, yes. I'd recommend you reevaluate your position if you're here to defend feudalism.

>When Yea Forums thinks itself better than Yea Forums

Attached: AHAHAH.jpg (500x616, 54K)

Is this opposite day where people pretend shonen shit is highbrow?

GW has scrubbed most of the heavy metal campy shit and tried to actually turn it super serious since 3rd Edition

>Fire resistant humanoids
Stop posting showfag

Homer is as entry level as the classics can possibly get. One Piece, a future classic, is much more refined.

He's likely referring to Daenerys, who is fire resistant. Regardless, I was referring to how the people act realistically.

the fact you don't have mieville's bas lag on that list sickens me

Ah, a retard!
I see I see.

>when Yea Forums thinks fire and ice is good
>when Yea Forums thinks they are better than everyone because they read the equivalent of star wars in book form

Attached: 1476282605875.png (1130x469, 521K)

achievable natty ?

This post is proof that weebs have brain damage.

>quibbling with Tolkien over unimportant details
What a pretentious twat.

Not an argument
Thousands. Of people whose sole duty in society was to be a soldier. Not civilian farmers. A tiny fraction of the entire populace.

>greentext
>with quotation marks
just go back

You know, when the Hunterchads are smart enough not to say their actually good manga is better than literary classics you should do the same in place of showing out how retarded you are.

Its been stated several times that her being "The Unburnt" was a miracle and not a trait of her being fireproof

Uhh, if you make a thread about asoiaf on Yea Forums it gets saged and later deleted, doctor retardo

Swap One Piece with Jo-jo, swap Star Wars with Bioncle, and then Bioncle with Elder Scrolls.

Friendly reminder: Copypaste spam this comment on all ‘ruling is hard’ ‘martinposting’ threads wherever they appear.

1) "I do quibble with" is not a sign of disrespect. It is only american contemporary thinking with its moral absolutism that makes you think you have to "choose a side" between Tolkien and Martin. You don't.
2) An author can hold another author in high regard while also writing a work that differs from them. Another example from literary history: People don't generally feel they have to "choose" between Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea, even though the latter work is basically nothing but "Nuh-uh! Rochester didn't deserve to be loved and Jane Eyre stole ma sistas man!" (Sidebar: Wide Sargasso Seas should be laughed out of every curriculum, it is shit)
3) In Tolkien's letters, he outright aknowledges Martin's point: He says that writing "Aragorn was a good king" was a literary device, meant to signify "and here comes the happily ever after".
4) Having said that, Tolkien's letters go a long way to bridging the gap between "happily ever after" and "muh tax policy".
5) Martin repeatedly said that he didn't want to attack Tolkien, his problem was with the paint-by-number "Fantasy novel series" phenomenon, where everyone stole the basic structure of Lord of the Rings, mangled it badly by making it adhere more slavishly to the hero's journey, but very few used it for anything other than basic self-insert chosen one bullshit daydreaming.

Attached: 7A805FD5-D759-424B-AAB0-AE0500BA7BAD.gif (330x225, 1.8M)

Sam parting with Bill the Pony has more of a true emotional impact than any contrived death in ASOIAF

smart.

I've been on Yea Forums since '08. The quotes felt appropriate since I was citing a passage from a book. Kill yourself.

The peasantry was absolutely conscripted into fighting their lords' battles in medieval times. Even putting that aside, you've completely failed to justify your insane argument that war isn't bad. War is horrific and leads to suffering and loss of life.

Alright, that's fair.

>dune
>world building
It’s literally the story of space Mohammed vs space Byzantium.

I never said one piece was better than the classics. All I said is you are a pathetic faggot if you think Fire and Ice is high art.

>Big bad guy gets backstabbed
>Whole army dies with him
Whoever wrote that shit didn't hear that interview or the fat fuck is just talking crap.

>muh realistic medieval drama
>spends 90% of his prose describing people eating, shitting or fucking

who ever wrote that pasta never read the books, or even watched a single film based on them

>something being old means it's inherently better

dumb

Fat people are mentally ill

>i had to include quotation marks even though greentext is used to quote and the paragraph i was quoting literally included the phrase game of thrones
you arrived here in 2016. one of greentexts functions is to quote newfag

Press F to pay respects to the Ser Friendzone

Attached: Look how they massacred my boy.jpg (600x660, 172K)

>The first 3 books are better than any Tolkienshit to be honest.
Neck yourself.

>What is foraging in enemy territory?
>What is slavement of the loser?
>Siege of alesia? Whats that?
>Charlemagne summary executing prisoners of war? LIES!
Come the fuck on user, thay might not have considered those things crimes, but people got fucked just as hard.

This
Warhammer40k is pretty much an ironic collage of stolen ideas that became unironic at some point because Americans couldn't understand the obvious ''loans''

>The Elder Scrolls
Good taste, muthsera

>t. has literally never been to Yea Forums

We can't talk about things we enjoy there. We only talk about boring stuff and pretend to like that.

>Peasantry was absolutely conscripted
Not really, they were mostly volunteers and getting paid for the honor.
>war is horrific blah blah blah
Again this is a very modern perspective. Loss of life isn't that big of a deal to a person who was born to lose it and believes in Valhalla or god.

So again the idea of war being horrific and wiping out cities and giant swaths of the population is very very modern. War was a lot more innocent and honorable before the French revolution.

No, I actually came here in '08. I started on Yea Forums, left for a while, and came back and started visiting other boards like Yea Forums in 12/13. This is how greentext is normally used:
>be you
>be retarded
See how that differs from quoting a passage from a book? That's why I used quotes. In conclusion, kill yourself.

Where does Halo and Marvel rank

The prologue to forge of darkness by Erikson is better than all this shit combined

It's not even "better" that's in question. Your dumb manga doesn't even have the slightest literary relevance to warrant comparison to the classics.

Middle-Earth can't have the the greatest world building of all time for a single reason: Tolkien wrote an end to middle earth such that there's no more room for cool shit to ever happen there ever again. I love lotr and middle earth but that will always piss me off about the setting

The character of Aragorn reflects one of the aspects of the Christ-archetype (the others being Gandalf, and the Frodo/Sam dyad). Aragorn is the Christ-as-king element, he brings hope to despairing people and groups of people, one of his Elvish names 'Estel' simply meaning 'hope'. He literally descends underground to the land of the dead to redeem the souls of past generations of sinful men. He then emerges in triumph and spreads this triumph to those who themselves are also struggling against darkness. He then goes around the city healing the sick thus fulfilling the historical myths of the local people and confirming himself as king by establishing himself atop the spiritual heirarchy. THIS is the level on which our lad Tolks was operating. Rings is a deeply religious work, a meditation on the conflict between hope and despair in the face of horror and death which takes place in the heart of man, and the resulting spiritual transformations which occur. To refer to 'tax policy' of all things is to completely miss the fucking point by a very wide margin. Grrm is the absolute pinnacle of uncultured degenerate American genetic trash who really needs to appreciate how lucky he got and then shut the fuck up.
>Inb4 lotr isn't an allegory.
Yes, I know. It's MYTHOLOGY. The whole saga is utterly replete with archetypal religious symbolism.

Attached: TN-Thus_Came_Aragorn1.jpg (1280x864, 287K)

What do you mean?

>casual sex everywhere
>so realistic

Attached: 1492523743982.jpg (724x620, 144K)

You've got it backwards. It is and always will be the greatest because it has an ending and none of these Hollywood dipshits will ever get in there and "improve" it

>When you out yourself as a virgin.

I sincerely doubt you've watched One piece so how would you know.

Go ahead and watch the 900 episode epic and get back to me.

I'm no tolkien lorekeeper but IIRC middle earth basically kind of just evaporates into normal irl earth after all the elves/dwarves/hobbits/orcs/whathaveyou die out

George Fat Fuck Martin let his vision be ruined by hacks. At least the LOTR movies were made competently.

Book of Revelation is the most kino fantasy setting though

>The lore can't be raped canonically.

Oh no how terrible.

What about the White walkers? Is genociding them ok too?

Just wait for amazon's improved modern take on middle earth.
There's plenty of room for Hollywood hacks to ruin lotr.

>when you think god fearing kings and queens were having orgies

Attached: 06ca846dbc7e704a49df0056efe301a0566724eb9da6524002e44704b6f3606a.jpg (1280x720, 316K)

>Go ahead and watch the 900 episode epic and get back to me.
>Go ahead and watch
>watch
Fucker doesn't even have the decency to read it and watches the sweatshop version instead.

Attached: 1544552435780.jpg (1462x1462, 297K)

Martin epitomizes everything I hate about boomers. They're heads are so far their ass and they think they know what the hell they're talking about. Tolkien's philosophy and world is so much deeper than Martin could ever dream of. There are people who write books that merely interpret the Lord of the Rings and people buy them. To pretend there's a legitimate comparison to ASOIAF is a fucking joke.

Attached: 7333.jpg (312x475, 28K)

Well it is supposed to be a manuscript he "found" so it's presumed after the 2nd Music Middle-Earth becomes normal Earth yes

Wakfu/dofus should be in the list, jojo shouldn't

Can you tell me how Tolkien's philosophy is deep?

>B-But at least the boo-
"No!". GRRM is a piece of lard who will never EVER finish his books. The fat has clotted his brain to the point he doesn't remember how to write, let alone how to conclude his story, and will probably kill him the next time he goes for a light jog. He probably didn't even write a single page of Winds of Winter. I could write a 500 page critic of "The (8 hours) Long Night" faster than George "Rotund Retard" Martin can write a single sentence on a character's shit's consistency.
No, he will die alone in his fat-palace, knowing his life's work has been fucked into the ground. Because that's how it will be remembered. It will be remembered as the show, and everyone will assume that's what the Fatman had intended for his ending. 20 good men, finger in the bum, le balls and wine's cock XD... That is Gurrm's Legacy.
Fuck this shitshow, Fuck this gay earth, Fuck Daniel and David.
And most of all FUCK YOU GEORGE.

>inb4 have sex

Based "No!" poster.

I have better things to do than watch some cringe anime shit. Maybe you should elaborate on its relevance. It's simple logic to assume some of the most important foundational works of western literature have more relevance.

No

Hmm, not really, is just an absurd world after the other. There is no consistancy or meaning behind it, they can just go like "ops I'm in the New World where freakish things happen, wouldn't be crazy if we landed in a land made of chocolate with transsexual habitants XD?".

Attached: etruscantomb-570x350.jpg (570x350, 32K)

Some of the coolest shit in star wars came from the EU. Is 99.9% of it hot garbage? Absolutely, but leaving room for others to build on can and has added amazing layers to settings not originally forecasted by the creator. I really value the merit in that.

I haven't watched it myself but to claim you know it without having watched is a fatal error.
>its simple logic to assume
Maybe you should read some foundational western philosophy instead.

Attached: 1556163963785.gif (480x252, 2.86M)

That's because you're just a brainlet.

>god fearing kings
>He dosn't know that even the pope did...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banquet_of_Chestnuts

What would you have done differently?

Attached: Capture.png (1426x757, 1.59M)

Now now. Don't give Martin too much flack. He's regularly being compared to Tolkien in the press and by his publicists, and this quote was a badly worded and thought out way in trying to distance himself from that, but his sentiment is still valid if seen as an "I" statment. His work isn't trying to be Tolkien, it's not an attempt at an original mythology. Rather, it's a medieval politics and history playground with some light fantasy fluff that he wasn't originally going to include, but noticed The Wheel of Time was selling and got influenced by that.

Nice try but the pope is the pope and kings are kings. The pope is the top of the food chain. Everybody pretend that kings were all secrete atheists who just used religion as a tool but its not true. Even most popes were not so corrupt.

Its sad how much your knowledge of history comes from literal movies and fictional stories.

How is that not logical? Do I need to read every piece of literature in history to reach the conclusion that the Odyssey is one the most important ones? It's a well documented fact.

>you're just a brainlet.
Next you'll be enough of a retard to say that the other novels that expand the lore are better, wait, that means you would have to read, which is a big no no

>light fantasy
Goddamn nigga, the whole series comes down to fighting ice zombies. Not to mention dragons, ressurection, shadow hitman etc.. It's impossible to imagine asoiaf withouth magic.

>its a well documented fact
Its one of the most important what? Stories? the Odyssey was not the first story to ever be told. You are a westerner, its not so important to people in Asia.

>be influenced by sales of another book
>anything but a fat boomer sell out

Did those veterans tell him about that time when they jumped out of a tree and stabbed the Taliban king in the belly making all the terrorists explode?

Pretty much every history involving a hero is "based" on Odyssey.
Asians are heavily influenced by it one way or the other. Either their high cultured writers were influenced when European culture became the most important in the world around the XIX century. Or when they started to copy HQ to make manga shit.

Lol nice delusions.
TeS has shitload of worldbuilding on races, religion, macic, customs, holidays, economy, astrology, bureaucracy, military and architecture to name a few. There are hundreads of books and dozens of sages who have useful information about the world.

>Its one of the most important what? Stories?
Are you memeing?
>the Odyssey was not the first story to ever be told
How is this relevant?
>You are a westerner, its not so important to people in Asia.
Nigger you're retarded. Pretty much every story related to an epic voyage can be traced back to the Odyssey. It's important worldwide.

His portrayal of war is extremely modern. Just like his portrayal of sex crazed atheist kings. Just like his portrayal of commoner life and medieval foods and ect ect ect.

>he thinks the concept of a hero originated with the Odyssey. Is it fun talking straight out of your ass about topics you don't know much about. Like the influence of the book over Asia.

(((Medici))) propaganda

Just because it's absurd doesn't mean it's not well done. It's an objective truth that the One Piece world is written with 100x more care than the majority of stories because it strives on that. Every event that has ever taken place in One Piece has a million other stories taking place at the same time and they often converge and affect each other in ways that are satisfying as hell. An island made of cake is dumb, the 4th most powerful being in the world being willing to commit mass. genocide because she hasmt gotten her shipments of candy is silly, but it's still an intricate, interconnected, political world with almost no inconsistencies. For an almost 1000 chapter manga, that's ridiculous.

>jojo
AHAHAHHA kill yourself retard

>What's his fucking problem?
He's a hack? He cried about evil Dark lords but look at Cersei. Evil queen dressed all in black with he black robed necromancer, pirate king and undead guard. GoT fell into every fantasy cliche he wanted to avoid

>weeb trash in there
kill yourself

You're an idiot

>5. One Piece
Bro, Wacky fruit powers!

Attached: 67752.png (600x580, 360K)

>WW are a metaphor for climate change
>defeated by some girl who went to a death cult to fail to learn their ways, but somehow learns to teleport, kill people, and shapeshift her face
>just stabs him
>LOL

Can anyone explain the metaphor now?

Show me evidence of this wild claim.

photoshop bullshit with no real content beside some lingerie shots

will Queen Daenerys support legalized homosexual sex?

im a one policy voter

Aragorn only became king at the very, very, very, very, very, very end of the books. Why would Tolkien bother writing all that out?

>Tolkien wrote an end to middle earth such that there's no more room for cool shit to ever happen there ever again
Good. I don't need to have some faggot write about how some dwarf wedding went where they all dance and fart merrily into the night like some fucking Star Ears garbage

how else will she break the wheel?

Based Tolkien BTFO of the fat cunt decades before he opened his mouth

Attached: 1312624084210.jpg (350x333, 51K)

She scissored with her nigress servant on the regular right? I imagine she would support it

Tolkien wanted to write a myth. Myths aren’t about fucking taxes.

No Dune? kys my dude.

>Pretty much every history involving a hero is "based" on Odyssey.
Ok, I'm one of the anons laughing at the One Piece dude, but claiming the stories about heroes from all cultures got retconned to be more Homeric is pretty retarded.

>Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.
The most famous line from ASOIAF. It's the epitome of literacy genius, because it paints the very common scene faced by many in medieval times. If you read Tolkien, he pretends occurrences like these didn't even exist - not once is there a passage describing the passing watery stool while getting raped despite this being the primary preoccupation of medieval culture.

Attached: 1428311125526.jpg (1000x2071, 491K)

>wild claim
Maybe you get some knowledge about literature and history before you try to argue about them. I mean, even the word "odyssey" became a synonym of "epic journey" in a shitload of languages.

This.

>What was his tax policy?

It was fucking all out war fucktard fat fuck

>Go ahead and watch the 900 episode epic and get back to me.
A lot of filler and arcs where they just have a big party at the end.

TOLKIEN EXPLAINS ALL OF THIS IN OTHER WRITINGS YOU FAT HACK

It is excellent and you must just be a fucking retard nigger.

Will the Mata Nui body reveal ever be topped? Literally hidden in plain sight. Why is LEGO Bionicle one of the best fantasy stories ever told?

>The most famous line from ASOIAF
According to whom?

I challenge you to name a more famous line

>The sight of their arousal was arousing.

God damn I literally started to choke.

not bad.
i laughed.

What about Wheel of Time??

>Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
Dear God I hope so

Name 1 (one) better way of attaining superpowers than eating a magic fruit. I'm waiting.

>“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”
>“Distrusting me was the wisest thing you’ve done since you climbed off your horse”
>“A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.”
>“You know nothing, Jon Snow.”
Want more?

I may be, but i'am not the one writing le badass ninja mary sue.

Those read like fanfiction.

Nigger he said famous, the more she shat line is the most memorable and well known line

When will incels get over this?

>>Oh yeah but the Lannisters ran out of gold years ago and are millions in debt to the Iron bank
>>Let's just rob the Tyrells, who have enough gold on hand to pay off our debts, which means they were way richer than us the whole time.

yeah man who heard of rly rich people going bankrupt lmao how unrealistic

it's called being an incel

>“It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”
>“Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.”
>“A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship.”
You sure?

Yes. Writing went off the rails when they passed the books. Long night was the epitome of their incompetence

Incels make shit up then get outraged over it.

OP KNOWS GRRM wasn't criticizing Tolkein I'm sure, he just doesn't care

wan piss is dumb shit for babies

10. KOTOR Star Wars
9. 40K
8. The Bible
7. Epic of Gilgamesh
6. Mob Psycho 100
5. Homer’s epics
4. real life
3. Mass Effect (pre ending to 3)
2. Middle-Earth
1. James ‘The Demon’ Harrison

>"I do quibble with"
Who the fuck talks likes this?

>Epic of Gilgamesh
>My sidekick the hairy man!
kek

nigger

>one piss
>Hinduism
>Fucking jojo

>good worlbuilding

Attached: 1556038297606.png (1184x819, 22K)

He is an excellent low fantasy author. GoT and LotR should not be compared directly.

DUDE PURPLE PROSE

people shit, get over it

>lore can't be raped by new writers
>no need to worry if the author dies
>no ridiculous power level growth like DB or DC/marvel
Wow, you're a fucking retard!

WHFB's genre fiction trash is still 1000X better than martin's crap

nope

>if the king was a good man, the land would prosper
>give absolute power to one man
>the man is good
>he makes the land prosper as a result
It's really not that hard, is GRRM retarded?

This list wreaks of edgy 23 year old weeb who never grew up

>2. jojo
Fucking weeaboo scum, get out of here

>Moorcock
The creator of emo albino Conan has no business talking about Tolkien

Yep. WHFB books are honest in what they are, mediocre to shit genre fiction which only exist to increase profits for and interest in the wargaming side of Games Workshop.

ASoIaF on the other hand is just as bad genre fiction, with drivel that can barely be called an excuse for prose, terrible nonsensical world building (despite the fat fuck and his fans claiming it's so deep and realistic, nothing about it makes any sense compared to reality, such as a bunch of medieval kingdoms struggling to control a continent the size of south America despite no logistics to support such an empire), and the actual plot itself is unoriginal, merely the war of the roses set in a bland, poorly created world.
Despite all this, it lauds itself to be true art, and this dishonesty lowers itself below other genre fiction, for in so doing, it tricks people from engaging with actual art and literature by lowering their standards

>4. Hinduism (Four Vedas, Two Epics)
>3. Bionicle

Attached: 1439386122946.gif (245x200, 497K)

>War is horrific and leads to suffering and loss of life.

Attached: 1555688882883.jpg (500x479, 95K)

based

Robert E. Howard blows the fuck out of this guy and Tolkien

Based and redpilled. It needed to be said.

You're partially right, I haven't gotten to them yet, but I will. I bought Dune Messiah a few years ago and plan on reading it later this year, brainlet.

Nobody has listed any work by Asimov yet and that's why you're all going to pleb hell

>Basically this. Do retards actually interpret that quote as GRRM telling Tolkien what he should have done?
I don't care, I just like laughing at "What was Aragorn's tax policy?" It's just kind of absurd out of context.

Do yourself a favor and don't, try to read the books about the houses, they fucked what little I enjoyed aboud Dune.

the empire fell apart after dragons died, you're just an autist

>Le war of the roses meme
Like potery.

>Bionicle
It's hilarious that this is true and not a joke.

No love for Transfomers? (Cartoon and toy series obviously, not that Michael Bay crap)

I have far too much knowledge about Tolkien mythology to even begin discussing this.

oh shit, I didn't realize GoT's plot was no longer about the power struggle for rulership for the seven kingdoms, and that character's like Robert and Joffery really WEREN'T the king of the seven kingdoms, despite no dragons being around in their kingdom

SUNSET

GoT's "plot" ever since deviating from the source material is basically "what kind of epic unexpected thing can we pull off to have sick reaction videos". It's a result of the fame the Red Wedding got

All of GoT's writing is now catered around shocking twists/reactions to said events. It's all they care about. Some sort of meta-narrative

Retards who don't get it.

>dropped this thread ages ago after the conversation went full weebshit
>some loser quotes me hours later
Don't reply to me again.

Cat ppl

>replies near immediately
Don't lie friend, you have a dozen tabs open waiting for (You)s like a loser

>4. Hinduism (Four Vedas, Two Epics)
>3. Bionicle

Attached: 1556555919898.jpg (720x720, 24K)

>you have a dozen tabs open waiting for (You)s like a chad
That's correct. But I wasn't reading this thread nor paying attention to it.

Stop replying to me, this thread is dead.

You are a monstrous faggot.

Kys you faggot, learn to stop replying (to me), its annoying.

hey
hey faggot
hey

That wasn't even me. Damn, you're obsessed.

What is Robert Baratheon's tax policy? What about Cersei or Tywin Lannister? Ned Stark?

How did thy all do during flood and famine?

This is so post-WWII boomer.

Fpbp always

How you gonna rank both Jojo and One Piece but put Jojo higher than One Piece?

>the humans are good, the elves are okay
This guy didn't read the books

One created the myth and one is trying to take it apart. so why compare them ?

He's jacked up on roids. He's like 60

>Writing is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very completionist philosophy: that if the author was a good writer, the books would have an ending. We look at real history and it’s not that simple.

this post is so fucking reddit it hurts
you're not being cool by being contrarian fags, you're just the edgy version of normies.
also get cancer and die if you think the furry scrolls and shithammer had good world building.

I’m the user that wrote this. Honorable mentions include:

>Berserk
>Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
>Humanx Commonwealth
>Dune
>Bas Lag
>The Bible
>Real Life (would be number 10 if not for clearly underdeveloped history and land, Africa, an entire continent has nearly no significant historical events beyond interactions with other continents. Lazy)
>Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (and subsequent entries in this canon)
>Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
>Avatar: The Last Airbender
>Journey to the West
>Dungeons & Dragons
>Ender Series

Cringe & bluepilled

>These are the most famous lines from the book

Said who?

>as much as I admire him, I do quibble with.

why does he force himself to talk like this?

Darkstar is meant to sound like a fuckhead in all fairness, his entire character is just being an edgelord

>hinduism
poo poo spotted

Daenerys will execute homosexuals without mercy

subversion

>tfw no divine comedy
pleb list

based
>only one fucking mention of him
What the fuck do I expect from a bunch of ironic capeshit haters though?

Because it would have been a thriller. No substance, just excitement and suspense for their own sake.

> Lenin teleports from behind and knifes Czar Alexander.

GRRM was against war in the books, and irl he was against the Vietnam war when he was younger and the Iraq war as well.

Bump

Tolkien is so based that he BTFO Martin decades before this fat hack could even make his asinine criticism.

>Jojo at #2

Based and standpilled

Attached: rero rero.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

>thinks that deeply about logistics
>allowed them to film the battle of winterfell with the worst possible battle tactics

That's just based and redpilled.

>t. Actual sub-80 IQ retard
If something is old and still popular it means that it’s stood the test of time. Let’s wait 1000 years and see if anyone even knows what your shitty favorite manga even is.

Attached: 20BE03CD-AD50-48C3-9977-4B8DE87041C1.png (1280x720, 181K)

Its definitely not popular

Are you trynna tell me that the works of Homer aren’t popular?

Attached: 8CDA98F3-E426-4D6D-8D40-76BC515C326B.jpg (704x1024, 101K)

Not him but basically because it's had decades to build it up and comes from a mix of lore nerds making fanfiction (Arena and Daggerfall) crossed with European/Indian history and mythology (Morrowind onwards) that you come to learn piecemeal naturally through in game books and characters. My favourite part of it is how it isn't just given to you, different sources will contradict each other so you have to find the commonalities and fill in the blanks, it makes the lore feel more like an authentic history/mythology rather than blocks of information being spoonfed to you by the developer

Based GRRM trolling LOTRbongs. Seriously, Long Night was shit but the nonstop bleating and comparisons to Hackson's violent kindergarten trilogy is amusing if only because unlike 90% of Yea Forums I was actually old enough to use the internet back then and people were crying about those movies going off book too.
>omfg why were elves at Helms Deep
>where are the Easterlings
>the ghosts were only supposed to take out some shitty pirates
>no scouring of the shire waaaah we needed more of Tolkien's anti-industrialism at the already agonizingly long epilogue
Etc etc etc.

Nobody you ask who has read them has read them outside of a classroom

Tolkien wrote about thw suffering a soldier has to endure during a war, even if he sees the war itself as just and worth persuing. GRRM wanted to write a series about how bad war is (forst author to ever do that of course) and ended up writing mostly about food, sex and murder plots he copied out of history. Tolkien achieved what he wanted to do, GRRM so far didn‘t and probably never will.

Completely untrue and also completely retarded. Go read a book.

Attached: C6A0A1AD-BD2D-4D42-BA92-D98D72367E19.jpg (720x739, 63K)

If you didnt read it in greek you didnt read it at all

>putting a simpson's character that high

actual training

Yea Forums fucking hates grrm

>Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
Has this man actually read or watched LotR