Arthouse

Stop discussing Capeshit and lets have a real Arthouse KINO thread.
My rec would be November by Rainer Sarnet.
has anyone else here seen it and what did you think?

Attached: November.jpg (5214x2898, 821K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xgpc9AjyxNo
youtu.be/vRVdveCHrkY
youtu.be/M4kiSs3OZ-k
arbelosfilms.com/distribution/films/satantango/
monova.to/9E1599A2F7A43071564DEC555800691D3D4B4D18
easterneuropeanmovies.com/adventure/35-on-the-silver-globe.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sources_for_the_historicity_of_Jesus#Non-Christian_sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suetonius_on_Christians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_the_Talmud
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_bar_Serapion_on_Jesus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's the point of black and white films?

it adds to the bleak atmosphere and style.also high res black and white films look really stunning.

Attached: Трудно быть богом.jpg (2880x1600, 694K)

checked. Is this Hard to be a God? I hear its kino

Attached: serveimage.jpg (700x525, 35K)

Attached: 1512613614673.jpg (3200x1800, 2.2M)

Define art house cinema

definitely KINO. Wouls also recommend you MARKETA LAZAROVÁ .

Attached: marketa15k.jpg (1000x1414, 187K)

If you want to have any kind of legitimate discussion about 'arthouse' stop using the word 'kino' .

It is one of the wildest most unique films of all times. For me it was not easy getting into but after 20 minutes or so I was absolutely mesmerized.
In terms of uniqueness I would put it together with
Even dwarfs started small
Eraserhead
Turin Horse & Satantago
Safe
just from the top of my head.

>MARKETA LAZAROVÁ .
This is a great and beautiful film but it is fairly conventional compared to Hard to be a God.
Marketa is a gritty historical adventure story. Very entertaining.

For me, it's Conan the Barbarian.

oh fuck off nigger. You really wanna gatekeep in one of the few noncapeshit threads on the board?

Attached: Koshka Subbota.png (2877x2301, 3.98M)

>stop using the word 'kino'
>unless in your mothertongue kino actually is the word for cinema

Marketa Lazarova was great. I recommend El Topo.

check out On the Silver Globe if you haven't already

I've marathoned Rick & Morty yesterday

The best arthouse movies is the triology by the Swedish director Roy Andersson:

"Songs from the Second Floor" (2000) with the sequel "You the living" (2007) and followed by "A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence" (2014).

They are all beautiful and painterly movies. They are funny and as a Norwegian I must say that it is extremely Scandinavian. The movies are very stylistic and people with heavy makeup and everyone has a very exaggerated Scandinavian attitude.

Absolutely beautiful movies (most beautiful films I have seen) presented as small thematically similar vignettes about the human condition. The director used to work directing small advertisements for TV, so it is in a similar format and length. Jumping from one vignette to the next. Sometimes coming back to earlier characters.

You guys should really give it a try. Here is the intro to the second movie, which gives an idea about how these movies are.

youtu.be/xgpc9AjyxNo

Attached: pigeon02.jpg (2400x1350, 713K)

Would they be hard to understand for someone who has no idea what it means to have a Scandinavian attitude? I mean are they about people or specifically Scandinavian people?

Almost all of František Vláčil's films are worth watching, check out Valley of the Bees.
It's really atmospheric film and if you are not in the mood for it you might dislike it.

the part with the plague as a goat was hilarious

underrated post

have a superior The Wages of Fear grid

Attached: THE WAGES OF FEAR.jpg (3000x2192, 3.49M)

K I N O

Attached: file.png (2580x1080, 2.14M)

> koshka subbota
> not subkota which means caturday

Pretty much the only arthouse film worth watching.

Attached: mandy.jpg (800x1200, 240K)

that's not kino but I fixed it for you
it's kino now

Attached: file.png (2580x1080, 2.2M)

>They are funny
I've only seen that pigeon one and it was the opposite of funny.

It is not specifically about other people. I guess the only thing you would miss out on are how funny some scenes are when it just looks like people are just a little shy, depressed and naive. But you might still get the jokes.

And also the history especially Sweden had (a lot of the rich people in Sweden supported nazis during the war and it is very embarrassing, which gives this tablecloth scene an extra edge youtu.be/vRVdveCHrkY , but you likely will get it anyway)

Give it a try, I just personally feel the director really gets "the Scandinavian" pinned down to an essence. But it is about humanity in general, being human, the will to make a comfortable living and also have a little bit of fun. It is not about scandinavia in particular, the characters are just characters that you would never really see in an American movie (the way they react to things and so on) in the same way that the British Office TV series had a different tone than the American one.

Roy Andersson makes entertaining movies and can be enjoyed even if you don't get all the references. For example there are references to the old Norse Viking Edda poems and also poems by Goethe. But the movies are just as much inspired by paintings. Especially Hieronymus Bosch, where you often see scenes with many things happening in the background. The camera is never in close-up you always see a whole scene.

But even without knowing these details you can still find a lot of entertainment with it. The guardian did a nice review of the last film youtu.be/M4kiSs3OZ-k

You can edit it if you want.

thanks user I'll give them a watch

Attached: topsters2.png (1487x1400, 161K)

I guess I just find some of these things funny, can see how people don't think it is funny. It is pretty dark. Like when the CEO contemplates suicide and talks about how happy he is to hear whoever he talks to has a good time. But the absurdity of that scene almost makes it ridiculous.

Or those salesmen who absolutely fails to sell any of their gadgets or prank toys. They say that they do it because they want to make people happy, and they have those creepy masks. They fail at making other people happy and themselves. It is a bit absurd.

When I write them down none of those things seem funny, but I found it a bit ridiculous when I saw it.

Attached: a-pigeon-sat-on-a-branch-reflecting-on-existence.jpg (2400x1350, 565K)

By the way, one reason why I thought it was funny might be because I saw his earlier movies and expected to view situations as tragycomic

no I haven't seen it

This is pretty kino.

Attached: konflit mortel.jpg (1440x810, 349K)

>a real Arthouse KINO thread.
would Soi-Fi films like High-Life or Border already qualify as Arthouse or are they just indie flicks? How narrow is the definition?

it's a pretty undefined term, there is no set definition

kino

Roy Andersson is pure kino.

Attached: maxresdefault (11).jpg (1280x720, 128K)

>kino
stopped reading right there

I just saw Avengers Endgame and here are my thoughts:
Fuck Time Travel. Seriously, 22 fucking movies just so they can wave shit off with time travel. I would have fucking preferred for them to just fucking go Dragon Ball Z and retrieve the fucking stones across the Universe and undo the snap instead of doing time travel fucking bullshit and open up the can of fucking plot holes that shit lends itself to. Seriously, its fucking trash. I fucking hate it. I don't mind time travel in movies but it just drops the stakes so fucking hard if its not something that the movie is completely focused on. It just doesn't work when the Universe has been established for so fucking long.

Just feels fucking cheap and stupid. The send offs, and what the roster is now also looks like absolute shit. I've always been kinda indifferent towards the movies. I avoid the ones I don't have an interest in, I always watch them for entertainment and don't take them too seriously. I haven't genuinely enjoyed one of them since Winter Soldier but Endgame seriously rubbed me the wrong way.

this one was fantastic also btbr.

Attached: Beyond the black Rainbow.jpg (2593x2253, 2.61M)

I wanted to like it but they ripped off Avengers Age of Ultron to much

check out bella tarr for bleak b&w

Attached: 1408204545547.webm (1104x624, 2.37M)

Already seen it, it's shit. Try watching Citizen Kane, it's b&w but it's actually a good movie.

This was amazing, one of the best films of the century. I have seen four Bela Tarr films and this one was my favourite. Werckmeister Harmonies > The Turin Horse > Satantango > Damnation. I'm not a big fan of Damnation.

How is the new film from the director of embrace of the serpent? Has anyone seen birds of passage and how does it hold up against eots?

Attached: 81raCxb3ucL._SL1500_.jpg (1057x1500, 227K)

>This was amazing, one of the best films of the century. I have seen four Bela Tarr films and this one was my favourite. Werckmeister Harmonies > The Turin Horse > Satantango > Damnation. I'm not a big fan of Damnation.

Attached: 1529455718936.png (657x539, 110K)

Great argument.

Can someone drop some Letterboxd recently watched and/or infographics? Not being sarcastic at all, I really want it

Our indie movie theatre refuses to play his movies because they said he's racist. I looked online and unfortunately they were right. I felt a damned fool for even asking.

i also find Damnation the weakest. I am really hyped for the 4k blu ray of Sátántangó. The Artificial eye dvd does not do the film justice and having to swap the dvds is annoying .
arbelosfilms.com/distribution/films/satantango/

Attached: TTH.jpg (3840x2160, 587K)

personal favourite

Attached: wings_of_desire_mobile-900x900.jpg (900x900, 170K)

>Sátántangó
That's pseud bullshit, bruh. Watch something with merit like The Radiant Child or Waste Land.

I'm also looking forward to that although i would prefer Werckmeister Harmonies on bluray. I will rewatch Satantango when the bluray comes out.

samefag

absolutely fucking plebeian
damnation>satantango>turin horse>werckmeister>man from london>almanac of fall>>>>>muhammed

Essential Farthouse.

Attached: 1543341021084.jpg (480x360, 10K)

Damnation didn't work for me, the long takes felt gimmicky. In his other films long takes are utilized better and with some purpose instead of being just a gimmick with not much of a purpose. I also liked the atmosphere in his other films more.

>Arthouse
ah yes I remember film studies 101 too...

>Damnation didn't work for me, the long takes felt gimmicky. In his other films long takes are utilized better and with some purpose instead of being just a gimmick with not much of a purpose. I also liked the atmosphere in his other films more.
If you didn't /get/ Damnation then you should go back to watching capeshit and star warz.

I got it, i just said it didn't work for me and i like his other films more. I have never seen star wars film, the same goes for capeshit.

>I got it
Oh, so if that's true then you'll have no problem explaining the film's central thesis, common themes and core message right here, in this thread.

i like punch drunk love as much as the next guy but this list is cringe

Better to have tried than never tried at all.
In your case, that means with a shotgun.

Kill yourself pseud

>Better to have tried than never tried at all.
>In your case, that means with a shotgun.

Attached: 1529872896676.jpg (512x288, 17K)

>Even dwarfs started small
Werner Herzog

Communism, decay and rejection.

>Werner Herzog

Attached: 22999d1402974762-official-beta-cringe-trekkie-brony-furry-thread-image.jpg (720x960, 102K)

You don't get it at all. In fact that is the dumbest summary of an arthouse film I have ever read. Stick to your superhero movies, retard.

Thanks for the rec. I'll definitely check out November.

Anyone here ever seen On The Silver Globe? It's fucking nuts. I love it.

babby's first criterion collection stream

Explain then. I'm sure you have many interesting observations about the film you fucking cunt.

Watching Godard's La Chinoise. Pretty fucking awful so far. At least there's some eye candy.

Attached: bbdac31929966155f54891067eb97702.jpg (540x413, 35K)

it's obviously about the duality of man retard

You don't get it at all. In fact that is the dumbest summary of an arthouse film I have ever read. Stick to your superhero movies, retard.

I'm not going to spoonfeed a retard like you, because you don't deserve to know.

haven't sen a good release of On The Silver Globe only shitty dvd rips. Would really like to watch but only in good quality. I would be thankful for any tips for where to find the best rip.

hello summer, watch more films

I bet you haven't even seen it, retard.
monova.to/9E1599A2F7A43071564DEC555800691D3D4B4D18

>I bet you haven't even seen it, retard.
It sure as hell sounds like you haven't from your "description". You didn't even bother to write one sentence about it. You're just a pseudointellectual who googles movies in arthouse threads to seem smart but in reality you never actually watch them.

stop projecting retard you didn't even get damnation

This

Bruh
easterneuropeanmovies.com/adventure/35-on-the-silver-globe.html

I've been on a Czechoslovakian wave lately, and Frantisek Vlacil has such a unique visual language in his movies that I have yet to see matched. I've watched Valley of the Bees more times than I can count.

I'm watching Witchhammer right now on a side note

Attached: frantisek-vlacil-udoli-vcel-10.jpg (400x177, 10K)

>unironically watching Frantisek Vlacil
Might as well just watch capeshit if you want mindless noise and meaningless pretty pictures to distract you much like an infant is preoccupied by the spectacle of car keys being jiggled.

third worlders talk to each other for three hours

Your explanation wasn't any better, also stop samefagging.

I didn't explain anything except the fact that you're retarded and don't understand arthouse.
It's not about the duality of mankind or any of the surface level bullshit you pulled out of your gaping AIDS-ridden asshole. The fact that you can't even decipher entry level arthouse flicks like Damnation is sad. You're in the wrong thread, try one of the ones you made about capeshit.

He actually does have a way of structuring his visual imagery in a way similar to comic books. He doesn't even use scripts he uses hand drawn story boards and sketches, and trusts the intuition of his cameramen to capture moments. He's more visually oriented than story oriented, but film is a visual medium.

He originally wanted to be an animator, and his training is in art history, he came into filmmaking by chance

Attached: f-10.jpg (3000x2121, 536K)

not samefagging and didn't give an explanation since I don't feel like writing an essay for some faggot on the internet, go read Nietszche for a start

Oh well, fuck you too. He brought out Kinski's best works. That alone is praiseworthy enough for 5 directors.

You're right, Frantisek Vlacil is just capeshit masquerading as arthouse and anyone who pretends to like it is on par with people who watch garbage like Jack & Jill, Guardians of the Galaxy, Watchmen and other capeshit.

Holy shit you could not have missed the point harder if you tried...

How do you feel about Miklos Jancso? He's another one of my obsessions right now, has a similar heavily visual atmosphere heavy low dialogue/plot/story style of filmmaking that I enjoy

Attached: silenceandcry_02.jpg (1020x435, 113K)

What's the point then.

>Miklos Jancso
Just a poor man's Francyzco Perygronevyta. Nothing more, nothing less.

>What's the point then.

Attached: 1528711245749.png (932x944, 241K)

I don't get why people here jerk off over Paths of Glory. I just watched it and while it was a good movie there was nothing grand about it and a lot of the secondary actors were laughably bad.

Is it your first Godard movie? Anna Karina is eye candy in almost all of them

Vavra must be your speed then, someone more relentless logical in their craft

>Is it your first Godard movie?
No, all of his movies are fucking horrendously bad. I only watch them to make fun of them with my roommates.

>What's the point then.
this is just fucking pathetic at this point

>Francyzco Perygronevyta

Is this the most obscure filmmaker ever referenced on this board? Possibly

it allows the story to operate in a realm of hyperreality. it's not imitating real life the way color does so directors and actors are able to imbue events and scenery with a heightened, artificial intensity that the human subconscious recoils at when it's tried in color. melodrama works better, rapidfire banter, so do visual aspects such as really aggressive shadows. everyone looks like a caricature because of all the makeup they could get away with. you can really get into the movie on its own terms rather than trying to reconcile it as an alternate reality. a lot of black and white films greatly benefit from being in black and white. frank capra's films couldn't have been made in color. charlie chaplin's neither. many examples

gotta watch this, i loved diabolique

foreign films that intimidate and cofuse amerimutts

>it allows the story to operate in a realm of hyperreality. it's not imitating real life the way color does so directors and actors are able to imbue events and scenery with a heightened, artificial intensity that the human subconscious recoils at when it's tried in color. melodrama works better, rapidfire banter, so do visual aspects such as really aggressive shadows. everyone looks like a caricature because of all the makeup they could get away with. you can really get into the movie on its own terms rather than trying to reconcile it as an alternate reality. a lot of black and white films greatly benefit from being in black and white. frank capra's films couldn't have been made in color. charlie chaplin's neither. many examples

Attached: igIk3Jr.jpg (720x1280, 153K)

Who the fuck is Francyzco Perygronevyta?

Go watch your capeshit, newfag

french new wave blows

Look at this dude

Attached: 1550171332260.jpg (460x276, 20K)

it does, that's why early color era films sometimes feel awkward or just don't hold up visually. there was an adjustment process to the way things worked in color

>Fuck off if you don't know my very own personal obscure filmmaker that another Yea Forums fag introduced me to last month, capeshiter
Amazing

Edgy

Don't know Vavra? Kind of disappointed in your knowledge here user, I thought you knew your shit for a second

>Hitch
Very entry-level, go back to your /got/ general

Not him but you're pretty autistic to assume that everyone knows every single niche arthouse filmmaker alive and that they even read your reply desu.

Filmmakers similar to Kiarsotami?

If you know Perygronevyta you would know Vavra

>p-please respond

Attached: 1536722963108.jpg (647x778, 83K)

I was just trying to tell you to neck yourself friend

Idk who either of them are though. Nothing comes up for Francyzco and only infantile trash about video games comes up for Vavra.

All of the praise it gets comes from contranianism against Kubrick's later stuff

>I have no other means of gathering information than the 1st page of google

Holy shit could you imagine being this guy bros?

Attached: 1556063686526.png (800x821, 682K)

it doesn't matter anyway because I'm the only patrician ITT

Hmm, but should I give Perygronevyta's stuff a shot first or I have to neck myself straight away?

>using (((joogle)))

Attached: 1539689593718.jpg (408x431, 12K)

Fellas, any good philosophical arthouse films with a well-defined structure? I must have seen dozens of arthouse films recommended by Yea Forums and most of them are shitty abstract or exploitation films. I'm not looking for 2 hours of a camera holding still aimed at a wall because it's "groundbreaking", I want a moving, high art story that will make me think. M is the best example of this I can think of.

edgy? i wasn't aware this was even an uncommon take. movies as great as adventures of robin hood, which uses color really well (mainly by going crazy with it whenever possible) have parts that would've worked better in black and white. unconvincing sets and stuff

Try Citizen Kane, most people like that movie.

>I want to think but not too much
the absolute state of this board

Andrei Rublev

That one faggot in this thread will probably call me a pleb, but I guess Tarkovsky's stuff?

how about japanes films. This and Harakiri were really good i also enjoyed Kwaidan and Onibaba a lot.

Attached: Sword of Doom.jpg (2875x2070, 1.45M)

nah I just don't like abstract interpretive work as much as something that is clearly defined and is made with intention. I feel when you're making a film with the intent to communicate a theme or idea it generally comes off stronger than something that doesn't.

>nah
yah
your inability to think without the director beating the message on your head with a hammer is nobody's fault but your own

i quite enjoyed it. loved all the stuff with the kratts and the deals with the devil. any other estonian films worth checking out?

any more vampire arthouse movies that could be recommended?

Attached: A girl walks home.jpg (2160x906, 111K)

Check out other Kobayashi's work. Especially The Human Condition and Samurai Rebellion. Also Shindo's other films such as Naked Island, Kuroneko and Children of Hiroshima. Imamura is also good director. Vengeance is Mine, Black Rain and Profound Desires of the Gods are great. Mikio Naruse is also great. Yearning, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs and Scattered Clouds are great. Kenji Mizoguchi is also fantastic Ugetsu, Sansho and Oharu are good starting points. And of course Ozu is fantastic he made lot of films and all of them are worth watching.

>Profound Desires of the Gods are great.
Such a uniquely bizarre film.

Woman in the Dunes is one of my favorites, and not just because of my mind break fetish

Attached: f1082d34e55e085881dcd8548d6de903.jpg (1280x1600, 314K)

Let the Right One In
Only Lovers Left Alive

Yes, it's a great film Imamura has a very interesting filmography.

Attached: 1553616675518.jpg (720x960, 57K)

Night and Fog

Based

The obvious, Tarkovsky and his protègè Lopushansky.
Other mentions: Wojciech Has, Yuri Ilyenko, Zulawski to extent, Piotr Szulkin. The structure may fluctuate, but they're philosophical.
Check out these.
>Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Addiction, The Female Vampire
>Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural, Vampyr, The Reflecting Skin
>A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, The Night Stalker, Black Sunday

Attached: mscvamp.jpg (1675x1500, 1.21M)

>Check out these.
> >Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Addiction, The Female Vampire
> >Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural, Vampyr, The Reflecting Skin
> >A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, The Night Stalker, Black Sunday
What the fuck, are you being ironic? Not one of these is even decent, let alone good. Stop posting.

Attached: 1492231192752.gif (300x300, 438K)

nice dogshit taste you have my dude

Attached: Valerie-and-Her-Week-of-Wonders-1970.jpg (1200x866, 160K)

Oh, you mean like you're doing right now?

Can you get in trouble for downloading arthouse movies? Also is a subscription to mubi worth it?

Project harder

The Arthouse Exemption Act of 2009 makes it legal to download arthouse movies. At least in the US.

>Can you get in trouble for downloading arthouse movies?
They go after people more for indie and arthouse films. Especially the distributors, they have deep pockets. It's not worth pirating since so few people do it for these films they'll know who you are. Nord VPN sold out a dozen of their users for downloading pirated arthouse films.

Recs were asked, recs were given, it's up to the viewer to discern what's good or not, your opinion is not universal.
Here's a few other vampire films. Pic not related.
>The Vampire Family
>Nosferatu the Vampyre
>Messiah of Evil
>Mister Designer

Attached: msc15.jpg (1675x1500, 1.52M)

Any way to bypass the mega.nz 5GB limit?

Where to start with Jacques Rivette?
Depends on where you live.

Attached: Brody-Jacques-Rivette.jpg (727x1076, 176K)

fuck these cracker ass mayo ass recs. you should watch Ganja and Hess.

Attached: Ganja1-1524591423-726x388.jpg (726x388, 123K)

Based

>Where to start with Jacques Rivette?
Start by throwing it in the garbage where it belongs.

Go back to your capeshit thread.

Anus films lol

95% of the schlock posted ITT is on par or worse than capeshit.

>worse than capeshit
Impossible.

Even the worst film you can think of is still better than a feature lenght videogame cutscene that is capeshit.

Hard to be a God is great. I watched it three times the first week after viewing.

On the Silver Globe is okay.
it doesn't do "it" as well as Hard to be a God.

>Even the worst film you can think of is still better than a feature lenght videogame cutscene that is capeshit.

Attached: maxresdefault-3.jpg (1280x720, 44K)

VAMPYR.

Attached: manchildren.jpg (2048x1364, 376K)

Then go back to your capeshit thread when you like it so much.

is it possible for capeshit fans to enjoy arthouse?
I feel after conditioning yourself to expect movies to have constant CGI and story arc they wouldn't be able to watch something like Turin Horse without getting frustrated.

I don't think so. There is too much quick cutting, too many quips and explosions for average capeshit fan to enjoy something like Turin Horse. Also the pacing in capeshit is much faster and it focuses less on characters and more on plot development than average arthouse film. Which is boring for capeshit fans.

Ask everyone else in this thread besides me because they'll know.

capeshit IS the new arthouse

Attached: D5CO6E8W0AEPAnI.jpg (560x666, 78K)

thanks for the recs, ily

what the heck
Do capeshit fans actually think there's artistic merit to marvel movies? It's the film equivalent of a Fortnite DLC pack

I have a friend who's a big capeshit fan and he likes some middlebrow stuff like Kubrick, Scorsese and Refn. I doubt he would enjoy an actual arthouse movie though.

I know people like this but refuse to watch essentials like The Seventh Seal because "it's old."

Well they're right. It's old therefore the quality of the film is worse by default. I don't watch films made before 1980 because the film quality is so bad.

I enjoy both arthouse and some capeshit films (I even like some of the MCU stuff). I also know people who exclusively watch experimental films but also liked the snyder films

ahhh yes, so so bad

Attached: SORCERER.jpg (2800x1575, 3.72M)

Knight of Cups, The House is Black, Tragedy of Man, Amongst White Clouds, Into Great Silence, A Taste of Cherries, The Sun in a Net

all ultra kino

pathetique

Yeah, you just proved my point. This looks like complete garbage, even by contemporary standards. Thanks(?)

Why does a film have to be sharp and flashy for you to enjoy it?
Why haven't you watched The Seventh Seal? it's considered one of the best films ever made to this day

This was absolute kino. People who like Tarkovsky and Tarr should check out Theodoros Angelopoulos. He uses long takes and his film are visually spellbinding.

Attached: _315x420_8ff003257a42ad4ec0821567d487ddca73e60c7b537242c1e5981fa59236f581.jpg (315x420, 26K)

Based and capepilled

He is baiting just ignore him.

Not him, but the 7th* Seal is extremely overrated. It's what a lot of film schools show for the entry level film theory courses because it's so infantile and paint-by-numbers. It looks fine imo, but the movie itself sucks.

Based, I seen this, I love the wife's lines

it's Christian kino
hard to appreciate it if you're a heathen.
Try Ordet

Attached: Chimes at Midnight.jpg (3600x2110, 2.33M)

Attached: Ballad of Narayama.jpg (3840x2681, 2.19M)

It's not possible for most people to enjoy arthouse, let alone capeshit fans.

Christcucks don't make "kino", they destroy it.

Attached: Kagemusha.jpg (5760x3120, 3.44M)

>paint-by-numbers
shhhh

Attached: The Seventh Seal.mkv_snapshot_01.16.53_.jpg (1435x1076, 306K)

That lighting is atrocious, god this flick is a clusterfuck.

Cringe. If you want true film reccs ask no one else but the supreme patricians of Vatican

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films

Arthouse is mostly pretentious garbage and also mostly sucks.

Prove me wrong

Attached: 1555881562100.gif (255x191, 1.9M)

Don't you find it sad that you're as old as you are and still this stupid?
You might live for 100 years and still be a mental midget on a steady diet of Star Wars movies.

Attached: The Conformist.jpg (3240x1821, 1.41M)

shhhhhhhh

Attached: The Seventh Seal.mkv_snapshot_01.16.52_.jpg (1429x1074, 265K)

anybody who uses the term "Christcuck" is struggling with their own faith.
If they truly didn't believe Christ is the savior they would feel no need to attack Christianity.

Arthouse basically means it's in black and white.
Watch 'Citizen Kane' or 'Sunset Boulevard'. Now THOSE are phenomenal arthouse films.
Disregard everything else posted in this thread, it's overly pretentious, söy sensibility media.

"Mostly" everything sucks. Most of music, most of film, most of everything.
You just have to find the good stuff.

Jesus didn't exist though, they made a whole arthouse documentary about it. I would tell you the name but you're a christcuck so it's lost on you.

>Arthouse basically means it's in black and white.
Why spew bullshit?

Attached: PARIS, TEXAS.jpg (3000x1688, 3.54M)

Attached: Le Cercle Rouge.jpg (2000x1290, 2.63M)

>"Mostly" everything sucks. Most of music, most of film, most of everything.
>You just have to find the good stuff.

Attached: 1538887762599.jpg (1280x720, 203K)

>Jesus didn't exist though
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sources_for_the_historicity_of_Jesus#Non-Christian_sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suetonius_on_Christians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_the_Talmud
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_bar_Serapion_on_Jesus

you've been watching too much Varg
get saved user

Angelopoulos is great, very underrated filmmaker. When people talk about most impressive long takes they fail to mention him. His staging is so impressive, he deserves to be up there with Tarkovsky and Tarr.

He's right. Arthouse is stylistically black and white filmography. Even if people use color film they shoot the movie like it's in b&w, that's what makes it edgy and unique in comparison to other movies.

melville isn't arthouse

That's a literal fact user. Are you aware how much films are made every single year? How much songs are made every single day? 95% of it is absolute dogshit.

>Even if people use color film they shoot the movie like it's in b&w
This is straight up factually false, why spew bullshit yet again?

Yea Forums is beyond lost, bunch of autists pretending to know how films are shot while not even knowing how the manual mode on their smartphone camera works

Jesus is a common name, retard. Jesus Christ didn't exist though. Funny how you even cited the Bible like it's actually a source.
Who? Is he an arthouse filmmaker? No? Then stop posting.

Thank you for helping ensure the posts in this thread "mostly" suck.

Attached: RAN.jpg (3600x1996, 1.89M)

I don't don't what you're talking about. I'm not some capeshitter, I'm just smart enough to know that arthouse isn't really for everyone. I wouldn't show 50% of the films I watch to my girlfriend cause I know she'd probably just find them boring. Which is like whatever, I'm not gonna feel superior to her for it. Everybody has their interests.

Oh, you mean like you're doing right now?

Jesus loves you but he can't enter your heart until you let go of your anger and your masturbation addiction.
Stop being a loser

>Jesus is a common name, retard. Jesus Christ didn't exist though.
There's not a single serious scholar who disputes the existence of Jesus Christ. The science is settled.

Lucas is just as much of a respected auteur as Bertolucci

>Jesus is a common name
Good thing they don't talk about a whatever generic le Jesus but strictly about "Christus" who was specifically crucified by Pontius Pilate in the exact timeframe

Attached: tacitus_242_.jpg (2600x3373, 3.02M)

>overly pretentious
>söy
ü r ä Fäggöt

I love when arthouse faggots act all superior while posting the most entry level shit

If I were a loser I'd be deluding myself into believing in Jewish lies to make myself feel better as you are doing here.
Cuck.
The burden of proof is on you. Numerous scholars have debunked the Jesus myth, including arthouse filmmakers.

Yeah this is true, I wish I could share these films with someone who can just sit back and go quiet and watch them the way I do, but here we are

The idea that Christ isn't the savior is the biggest Jewish lie of all time, though.
What did God do to you?

>The burden of proof is on you
Who is Tacitus? Who is Flavius Josephus? Pliny the Younger?

You think your so much fucking better than us "arthouse geeks" huh, you holier then thou piece of shit?
I hope your girlfriend gets vaginal, breast, brain, lung, blood, stomach, skin, liver, colorectal, and ovarian cancer as karma.

From Rivette, I recommend starting with La Belle Noiseuse or Celine and Julie Go Boating. The Nun + Out 1 are worth a watch as well. If you're thinking of diving into french cinema with more determination, check out this thread:

Attached: mscf.jpg (1675x1500, 1.46M)

>Entry level
Cinegrids aren't about how popular or good a movie is, brainlet.

Your religion is based on Jewish lies, you cited one of them. You worship a false Jewish God, just like sandniggers.
People who are dead and can't substantiate the baseless claims you attribute to them.

Art

Attached: 1542337327800.png (1719x1443, 3.85M)

Have sex.

nice ps3 videogame cutscenes my dude

Jesus was the last Jew.
Jews converted to Christianity.
Those who didn't were revealed to be Satanists, and as the bible states they would reveal themselves as satanists for years to come if they do not convert.
This isn't a difficult concept to understand.
Jesus named the Jew and made it easy for you to know who is a Satanist.
Modern day Jews don't exist, only the synagogue of Satan. True Jews converted after discovering Christ.

You actually can't have a single good thread on Yea Forums.

It will not be allowed under any circumstance. People will see it and go out of their way to make it worse than the threads about superhero movies.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985) dir. Paul Schrader

Attached: Avengers_Infinity_War_03.png (1364x570, 524K)

Make it black & white so the CGI isn't that obvious. It honestly would look better like that, masks the patchy parts of the movie quite nicely.

>religion
This board is for fantasy movies not fantasy books

Cinegrids are inherently for brainlets looking to show off, they capture nothing about the movie, taking static shots as examples of "cinematography" is plain retardation

Tell that to the christcuck bringing it up desu.

what about cinegrid webms

I just watched The Seventh Seal last Thursday and I can't believe how degenerate these supposed Christians are. Very sick people.

Not him but they, and you, belong on reddit

This thread was comfy and I want one every week, you fucking faggots

I love you too.

Attached: WAKE IN FRIGHT.jpg (3000x1630, 2.28M)

This. You're wasting space that could be spent on a superhero movie thread for my fellow Yea Forums posters.

This is such an amazing shot. He’s all alone, empty space, nothing to compare him to - and still he looks so huge. If any movie ever deserved an Oscar for CGI, this movie does.

Attached: 1556419797314.png (1024x427, 357K)

>doesn't count lol
Just embarrassing.

wow nothing to compare him to except the water, the horizon and the clouds huh

I'm aware this was a literal reddit post, but the absolute mental midgetry of it is astounding

You're getting baited, idiot

woah woaah no way my man omg, thanks for the heads up!

Honestly if you want to make thread next time make sure you don't put word capeshit on the first post since some of us may filtered the word and there is chance that your thread got filtered too

You're welcome, considering that you're the same faggot who got baited over and over ever since the thread went up

this is the worst arthouse thread i've seen on Yea Forums that's gotten this many replies

If you're retarded enough to believe in god, you are retarded enough to enjoy shitty movies like The Seventh Seal. That's for sure

lmao this discordtranny still coping hard

I liked it. A bunch of pretentious losers arguing over each other and giving some great recommendations at the same time

fuck capeshit if you want a colorful film watch kwaidan.

Attached: Kwaidan.jpg (3412x1440, 319K)

Far too much animosity here, were not enemies here, let's enjoy what film has to offer as a medium, on all spectrums. A post-2010 list of films that are quite good and went largely unnoticed.

Attached: 1547954697160.jpg (2078x2621, 812K)

Another wild assortment of films I've enjoyed.

Attached: mos.jpg (5024x5999, 2.91M)

what is the second left film in the far lower right corner, the dude mogging the fire

Almost half of those are genuinely terrible. You've made an enemy for life.

what abominations of images, the only spectrum here is the autistic one you're on

you mean this one? that's Red Cliff I think

Attached: Screenshot_1.jpg (564x523, 82K)

birds of passage was fine but nowhere near eots

There's always one faggot like yourself who gets triggered by cinegrids

Post filmmakers with flawless filmographies.

Attached: robert_bresson.jpg (400x400, 28K)

Looks like you big brained intellectuals can't even stand each other lmao.

I saw Mary and Max at Sundance before it was finished. That makes me cooler than (You).

Anyone talking others down but not contributing in any meaningful way can be crossed off as being intellectual.

Don't know is this qualifies as arthouse but it had me howling with laughter
Are there any movies with a similar sort of dry humor throughout? The Lobster comes to mind but that was more overtly satirical.
Scenes like the protag somberly giving a resignation speech while the guy with tourette's was screaming over him were fucking hilarious in how straight they were played.

Attached: download (18).jpg (810x1200, 153K)

i refuse to believe anyone howled with laughter at a slight satire like this. it's sensible chuckle tier at most.

Tried watching this once when I was really high, I'm still uncertain as to if it really happened or I just imagined it

why don't you add their names?

Force Majeure from the same director. Lanthimos has also some dry humour, i also think Greenaway films are funny so try checking out The Draughtsman's Contract, A Zed & Two Noughts, Drowning by Numbers, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and The Baby of Mâcon.

Stray Dogs was so fucking good, especially if you've watched his filmography chronologically since it's the same few characters.
It's like seeing a whole life played out, then after the ups and downs it ends in such realistic misery.

Spot-on depictions of the insincerity of a very real cohort of people is funnier than any conventional comedy when it's done right.

Yikes

>Taste of Tea, The Ninth Configuration, The Hourglass Sanatorium, Winter Lights, Cold Mountain, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, La belle noiseuse, Ashes of Time, The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober
>The Legend of Suram Fortress, Micmacs, The Last Emperor, Mother Joan of the Angels, Ugetsu, In America, The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears, Finisterrae, Ga, Ga - Chwala bohaterom
>Tale of Princess Kaguya, The Lion in Winter, Hero, Coherence, Detachment, Lolita, Hard to be a God, Ju Dou, Bugsy Malone
>Dragon Inn, Female Prisoner: Scorpion, Celone and Julie Go Boating, The Human Condition, THX-1138, Sansho the Bailiff, Don't Look Now, M for Murder, Female Prisoner: Beast Stable
>Metro Manila, À Flor do Mar, Sunrise A Song of Two Humans, Raise the Red Lantern, The Dreamers, The Conformist, Saragossa Manuscript, Mouchette, El Sur
>Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, The Passion of Anna, The Diary of a Country Priest, Way Down East, Touch of Zen, Zazie dans le Metro, Arriety, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Event Horizon
>Malá morská víla, Apache Woman, Zolotye roga, Petla, Black Narcissus, Only Yesterday, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, [REC], Ikiru
>The Scarlet Flower, The Hunters ('77), Thief or Reality, Joint Security Area, Scent of Green Papaya, The Skin I Live In, Phantom Carriage, A Spring For the Thirsty, Possession
>The Eve of Ivan Kupalo, Evdokia, The Snow Queen ('86), Last Night ('98), Three Colours: Red, Wild Strawberries, The City of Lost Children, Joyeux Noel, The Frame
>Innocence, Blood Diamond, Whisper of the Heart, Babette's Feast, Visitor of a Museum, Neco z Alenky, Like Someone In Love, The Assassin, The Others
>Noctruna, La vita e bella, Woman Under the Influence, The Red Balloon, Black Moon, Farewell My Concubine, The Innocents (2016), The Unknown Soldier (2016), Beyond the Black Rainbow

Bottom row
>The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Road Home, Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?, Journey to the West, Chinese Odyssey: Cinderella, White Mane, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Chi bi, Legend of the Mountain

just imagine the smell of this pretentious art student nigger

>french new wave blows
no, it 400 hundred blows
and no only godard sucks dont talk shit about my boy Truffaut

favorite brie larson performance?

short term 12

God, I used to like her back then

Eros+Massacre is great.

What do you fags think about this guy?

Attached: 01-wong-kar-wai.jpg (464x700, 54K)

only flick of his i've seen is the one where the two fags fight the whole time

I like him, he has great visual style and quite melancholic approach which is great. He is also good entry level for people who usually don't watch foreign films. In the Mood for Love and Fallen Angels are great.

thank you my man

Is he the guy who did Fallen Angels? Love that movie.

thank you my man

useful autism

Oh, I just saw one of those. It was shit.

Attached: Grass film.jpg (1600x844, 152K)

>hong sang poo's 30th film about pretentious unrelatable chinks
you should have known better user

Never seen one before.

Isn't this like 60 minutes?

epic bait got him good

Yes. It cost $15 to see.

>phone
thought this was old movie

It's on torrents, i haven't seen yet but i liked one film that i have seen from Hong Sang-soo. All of his films look very similar.

Samefag

You think so?

Yeah he's definitely samefagging

I like arthouse and have spent a lot of time with it but a lot of it is just too decidedly boring and not as profound as it supposes itself to be. I don't need things to be brainless schlock but there's a point where a quiet, black and white long-shot of an elderly Hungarian man staring soulfully at a cold, bleak field becomes cliched and annoying. And I say that as someone for whom Tarkovsky is his favorite director.

Just enjoy the "entry-level" ones and ignore the retards calling you pleb

I've gone through all those already and then some. Currently going back through a handful of them, yet again, because they really take a lot of viewings. Don't get me wrong, I get a lot out of them, and a lot more now than I used to.

Never mind, your just a pleb