What makes a horror movie good in your opinion?

What makes a horror movie good in your opinion?

Attached: 1556151053388.jpg (1497x1524, 187K)

Kubric and nothing else

Many factors, but I would say the most important thing are protagonists/victims that are developed and sympathetic enough that we care about what happens to them. The key to great suspense is that you want to the person to live/get away

jump scares

lifetime movies

Hot young actresses with big fat tits

When it subverts my expectation of expecting a good movie

Pacing

clowns

it being japanese and made in the late 90s-early 00s

Saw the cured the other night. It was about zombies who've been cured, made human again, but they remember their time as a zombie. An Irish film taking place in Ireland, and it ended up becoming something resembling the situation at hand over there what with the IRA or whatever.

>one off

Vampires

Attached: [Masquerade Violation -1].jpg (683x1024, 222K)

If it's a monster movie, said monster HAS to be mysterious. Giving it too much form, or god forbid too exploitable of a weakness, makes the monster killable, and not as scary. If it's a human villian, than there must be something that sets it apart from all of the other human horror movie villians.
Example of a good monster villian: Xenomorph
>practically invincible
>atmospherically terrifying
Example of a good human villian: The jigsaw killer (before the series went to shit)
>extremely smart
>always has a plan
>creative ways to kill people
But the BEST type of horror movie villian is one who's motivations and mere form is above human comprehension. This is perhaps the most difficult as the average movie goer has the attention span of a goldfish, and thus get bored if they don't see monsters killing people within the first 5 minutes.
Example of a good lovecraftian-esque monster: cooper from super 8 and Cthulu
>both are intelligent beyond human comprehension
>motives are above understanding

Background action that’s not the centre focus of the scene but adds an unusual subconscious layer that people pick up on. Anything from something moving behind a character to something like in The Exorcist where random faces appear in flashes of light in the corner of the screen.

Subtlety and not bringing attention to it is also an added factor that makes this even more special.

If you do this kind of thing in movies you will add a level of unnerve that plays on the audience’s subconscious. And combining it further with a good psychological horror story (best horror genre - I.e Mothman Prophecies or Jacobs Ladder) will only make your movie scarier.

unnerve is wasted if you don't anticipate a jumpscare

Something that can really build up into suspense. A movie that jumps to immediate jump scares is cliché imo. I want to see something that makes me envision the scare, instead of throwing it at me directly.

Depends, there is a rule in the slasher genre that someone has to die in the first 15 minutes. You establish that there will be jumpscares in the movie and make the viewer anticipate them.

if I like it. Sometimes it's scary, sometimes it's funny like an action movie, but a lot are shit

Bumping because i spent 3 minutes writing this and I'm not gonna fucking waste it.

OP here.

I was wondering if there was any movies that, when the antagonist appears, I would be terrified - not by virtue of its appearance or the fact that it was a jump scare, but because it's a potentially horrifying reality.

I dont' watch that many horror films (I'm more of an adventure type guy myself), but if you want true intimidation, nothing is better than this absolute kino. All of the antagonists are these animal hybrid machines, and are extremely terrifying.

Attached: p182095_v_v8_ab.jpg (960x1440, 262K)

Atmosphere (and even aesthetic) is really important, especially since the story is poorly written in the vast majority of horror films. An environment that gives you the right vibe can still make an otherwise lousy film enjoyable.

Most horror movies are terrible. Most horror is terrible. It falls into the same trap as comedy; it becomes dishonest because it is trying to illicit a reaction from the viewer.

If you want good horror, read Clive Barker. The movies are always nuetered.

The best horror films of all time are Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Shining, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and anything by David Lynch. To me, Eyes Wide Shut is a better horror movie than anything labeled horror in the past 20 years.

A good horror movie brings you into some comfortable or enticing situation, and then punishes you, like the box in Hellraiser. It should illicit a sense of Dread. The scene in New Orleans in Wild at Heart is a great example of this.

Horror as jump scares is no more than a carnival ride, but without the sense you can't escape.

>muh dishonest filmmaking
Cringe

I didn't know tht was a trope. How about this: it doesn't express what the filmmaker intended and instead tries to cater to the lowest common denominator.

This tbf

Reality

Attached: 1556280957822.jpg (443x462, 53K)

>Bram Stoker's Dracula
Jesus fucking Christ.

You’re an idiot

The demographic is irrelevant. Only pretentious twats believe that low-brow films can't be good. Not everything need to elicit "dread" or be high art.

if it's got at least 3 of these:

ACTUAL SUSPENSE
CREEPINESS
GORE
TITS AND ASS
FUCKED UP SUBJECT MATTER
FUN CHARACTERS
COOL STORY (BRO)
GREAT AESTHETICS
SOUNDTRACK
I SAW IT AS A KID AND LOVED IT

> mere form is above human comprehension.
>Example of a good lovecraftian-esque monster: cooper from super 8 and Cthulu
I disagree

Attached: ihu.png (1280x536, 585K)