New DS9 Documentary Discussion Thread

Discuss! It's all about the TV Show Star Trek Deep Space Nine, it's film-length AND going to be shown in theaters for a special event. BUT my last thread was deleted and told I have to stay on topic, even though it's all about filmmaking!?! Of course, the Filmmaker decided to use footage of real-world violence and superimposed Trump over it, which I don't understand what Trump has to do with Deep Space Nine or WHY the FILMMAKERS chose to put him in there (and the context was apparently Trump was responsible for the white-against-black violence they showed IN THE FILM)

Jannies, PLZ don't delete. This Thread is about the AWESOME TV show DS9 as well as the NEW documentary "What We Left Behind". Don't delete/ban me for pointing out that the DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKERS put Trump in there, in a film about a 20+ year old TV show.

AND: All the HD footage was 16:9 ratio! The space battle scene was EPIC.

Attached: Header03-1.jpg (2000x1200, 1.99M)

Also wanted to add I never knew what great singing voices the supporting cast have! The FILM shows the actors who played Ferengi singing.

When the TNG Blu Ray sets came out years ago, it was like each season was a Convention Experience on its own. All the deleted scenes, bloopers, behind the scenes extras. It was wonderful. It has always been my hope that DS9 would get the same HD restoration treatment. But after watching this documentary, I still want it but I never want to hear or see Ira Steven Behr ever again. I used to root for this guy, but after this documentary I'd rather have Rick Berman back.

Bashirfag is in this lol

Yes. And everyone straight up admits that Garak was gay and was trying to fuck Bashir. They made sure we know that Garak was a total Kevin Spacey-level predator, and the way they describe it was fucking creepy. No doubt left about it, at all.

FYI I have seen this Documentary, Ask Me Anything!

How much Trump/current year politics are forced into it?

How much do they gush about social progress and talk about it being "ahead of its time"?

Like I mentioned in the initial post, the literally show him talking amongst footage of lots of violence as if to imply her was the cause.
They spend a lot of time going on and on and on about how Stonk Independent Woman Kira is, including lots of female fans talking about how Kira inspired them, and also blacks who were inspired by Sisko. Service members were happy with Nog's coping with his war injuries, otherwise it seems nobody else inspired jack shit. Then they literally spend several minutes lamenting how they just weren't "progressive enough" with LGBT issues, and had the editor asking Ira "what about this?" and Ira says, yeah, but we should have done MOAR.

>113524145
incessantly. I thought Ira was going to break him arm patting himself so hard on the back.

incessantly. I thought Ira was going to break him arm patting himself so hard on the back.

Well guess I’m not watching it then...

It's still worth a watch desu.

Damn, and I was really excited to see a DS9 docu on the big screen. But I'm not supporting some deranged leftist circle jerk. It's one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time and I was really excited for about 0.5 seconds

I honestly regret backing this project. I was so excited, and waited forever for it. The Trump bullshit was so heavy-handed and forced in there. They split SO much up during the film, the HD footage as well as the Hypothetical Season 8 which was sketched out and animated like an animatic was spread all over the film, talking about it a bit then jumping around. I went from excited and wishing they would make a season 8 to strictly not wanting to watch it or see anything that Ira Steven Behr is ever associated with ever again.

I LOVED DS9, but having the studio heads keep him in check was a HUGE reason for its success. He would have gone full-blown deviant weirdo with it.

It's not that bad, I mean aside from Ira being a bit up his own arse and some out of place politics. It's a solid documentary.

>Damn, and I was really excited to see a DS9 docu on the big screen.

I streamed it, and I literally had to stop it and walk away for awhile. I'm enjoying my fictional universe and homecoming with old friends to suddenly be subjected to severe violence against real people. I can handle that shit just fine on its own, but fuuuuuck was it jarring as fuck here.

No I hear that, but I'll just download it at some point instead of supporting in by going to the Fathom Events thing next month.

Attached: Space_Jesus.jpg (694x530, 92K)

Been rewatching Deep Space 9 and was looking forward to this, shame. Is the actual stuff talking about the writing/production at least decent?

>It's a solid documentary.
I kind of disagree. Nostalgia and love for the show carries it far, but it was way too much fluff and talking heads, way too much patting themselves on the back on their progressiveness and too much fan confessionals. It was definitely NOT a Making-Of documentary, more of a "this was our impact" documentary. Without the HD footage, I'd give it a 6/10 after disregarding the politics.

Did you know that Bashir and Sisko did not get along? The documentary never touched that. Lots of relevant stuff was left out. Total fluff piece.

>Is the actual stuff talking about the writing/production at least decent?

Nothing new or major, unless you count actually admitting that Garak was gay for Bashir and was pretty much a sexual predator in their first episode together (not behind the scenes, talking just characters).

The ONLY positive of this documentary is the HD footage. Everything else is shit you find everywhere else.

Just looking at photos of him you can tell he is incessently annoying, probably a bottom, definitely into weird kink stuff, and full of homoself

I liked the way they give some more insight into Avery's final breakdown scene in far beyond the stars.

"I didn't know when to say cut"
"If we let him go on, he would have been on the floor for half an hour"

>Garak was gay
Why do shippers keep forcing this? He fucked Ziyal. He fucked Mirror Kira!

The same reason they try to ship Miles/Bashir, because any close friendship between men has to be a gay thing. God forbid straight men be close

Not a shipper, and not "forcing this". They LITERALLY fucking admit to it in the documentary. Thankfully, the studio would not allow it, so YEARS later Garak fucked Ziyal. And if you really want to get autistic about it, banging MIRROR Kira means that MIRROR Garak was into women.

Anons, look. I was there back in the day. At Conventions, when the show was still in production, the show staff hinted at it HEAVILY, they were trying to see if it would fly with the fans. It's "shipped" because that's what they actually intended to do with it. STUDIO HEADS said Hell Nah! and we got straight Garak. Go back and watch the first Garak appearance. And in the documentary, both the actor for Garak and Ira full on admit to this. The actor was super fucking creepy about it too.
>God forbid straight men be close
No mention of anything gay between Miles and Bashir in the documentary Thank God.

I really wouldn't have minded if Garak being gay was kept in there, provided we aren't subjected to a ton of cringe worthy relationship scenes like with Stahmets and Black Doctor guy.

Garak works better being sexually ambiguous anyway. Forcing him to be gay would be cringeworthy, I prefer him being bi and innocently flirting with Bashir instead of being some creepy sexual predator who wants to rape the twink doctor.

>I prefer him being bi and innocently flirting with Bashir instead of being some creepy sexual predator who wants to rape the twink doctor.
Don't watch the documentary, they will destroy your headcannon.

But my headcanon aligns with what actually happened in the show, theirs is what they wish they did but didn’t.

Andy Robinson's Garak novel is really good. Any other good DS9 EU material? I've been told to play the MMO but the gameplay bores me to tears.

His novel is literally the only good Star Trek novel, just quit while you’re ahead

Fair play lad.

>Then they literally spend several minutes lamenting how they just weren't "progressive enough" with LGBT issues, and had the editor asking Ira "what about this?" and Ira says, yeah, but we should have done MOAR.
ISB in a nutshell.

Attached: 1517206259240.png (519x356, 410K)

UGH! I don't know how the fuck Ira can be even seen without his BLUE goatee! This pic is OFFENSIVE without his blue goatee!

How can such an absolute faggot make such absolute kino?

Because he was just the showrunner, and not from the start it was given to him after several seasons, and there were tons of other talent involved.

I got the distinct impression that Garak was a bisexual degenerate

Does Marc Alaimo verbally pimpslap Ira Behr like he should?

I always heard about his amazing apologism of Dukat and the Kardasians, but I've never read interview snippets of this. I'm interested.

He and Terry Farrel actually talk briefly about conflict on the show, Marc says that he was pissed because he got no support while on the show, Ira counters with "well we kept bringing you back" We all know what Terry talks about, but you can tell she gets upset .

What's this about?

> “I like Dukat,” proclaims the actor. “I think he’s the most exciting character on the program simply because the writers can take him in so many different directions. He can be evil, mean, charming, lovable, funny, vulnerable and, yes, even sexy. Our heroes on the show never get to really be bad. We’ve all got a dark side to our nature but in a civilized culture you try to restrain or control that part of your personality. However, Dukat is an opportunist, so he plays both his good and bad sides to get exactly what he wants.”

>“I think Dukat would love to seduce Kira,” notes the actor. “I don’t know what kind of lover he would make, though. I’m not quite sure what’s on his mind when it comes to Kira. I think she just turns him on, you know, and Nana Visitor, certainly, is behind that. She is a very attractive woman so it’s easy to play those scenes where he comes on to her.”

>“Our speech teacher wanted us to depict any action but to do it as a mime,” he recalls. “Well, I did a mime of a man being hanged. I did the whole thing of walking up the scaffold, seeing the rope, having it put around my neck and actually letting go and ‘dying.’ By the time I finished and got up off the floor the girls were crying and the guys were stunned because they couldn’t believe what I had done.

Ira Behr:

>"You listen to Marc talk about Dukat, and it's totally different than I see the character."

>"In Marc's mind, I believe he felt his relationship with Winn was legitimate in some way, and that, in some wacky fashion, it was Dukat's bid for legitimacy. I mean Marc was actually upset when we had him hit Solbor. Until the very end, he wanted Dukat to be the hero of Deep Space Nine."

He's /ourguy/ who defended Cardasians and Dukat at every possible moment both on set and behind the set. Ira basically wrote him into an evil faglord in the last season because he was preturbed by the CHAD Marc Alaimo and the positive reaction of Dukat in parts of the fanbase.

Dukat's fate was writer's admission of defeat.

His character became more than what the writers intended simply because of Marc's charisma and passion for the craft. He beat the writers and he beat Ira.

I like how Ira thinks people loved DS9 because of “muh progressivism,” and not because of the Dominion War, Garak and Gul Dukat.

Based Alaimo.