How did you start with comics Yea Forums...

How did you start with comics Yea Forums? I mainly grew up reading manga and watching anime but I'd like to give comics a try, but have no idea where to start.

Attached: 199wys4pdcc11.png (2400x698, 1.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw&t=857s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've never started

Attached: 243.png (500x500, 224K)

>go to lcs
>pick up the first volume of a trade

OR
>go to lcs
>ask lcs guy what new issues he has that are the start of a run
Ez

I picked one up and started reading it. It's a bit confusing at first because unlike manga it goes left to right, but I believe in you.

I started with IDW's Luna comic, back when the comic was still good and also got some of my art signed by THE Andy Price.

If you enjoy shonen, go for capeshit. Any will do, like shonen they are all variations of the same.
Otherwise, ask for recommendations. What genre, style, etc.

>If you enjoy shonen, go for capeshit
Makes sense to me, what if I like horror?

>IDW's Luna comic
I'll check it out, thanks user.

>but I believe in you.
Thanks fren

>volume of a trade
Whats that?

Read Carl Barks' ducks. You can't go wrong.

Attached: duck.jpg (906x644, 160K)

Read hellboy omnibus

Attached: IMG_20200112_010919_671.jpg (541x541, 105K)

A trade, like a manga, consists of multiple single issues. He means, take a trade that has the number 1 on its back.

>Horror
Im thinking
>Hellblazer
>saga of the Swamp Thing

If you want it with some comedy:
>hellboy
>the goon

These look neeto, I'll keep em in mind.

Oh ok so If I google that or go into a comic shop its called a trade, is it all from the same comic? Or single issues of many different ones?

Thanks for the recommendations, other than local, where should I be shopping for comics?

read Garfield, C&H, Curtis, Foxtrot, etc. etc. when I was a kid and eventually got bored and stopped
picked up Jason Little's Shutterbug Follies in my local library's graphic novels section and then got into Craig Thompson, Alex Robinson, Justine Shaw, and Bryan Lee O'Malley
then I got into Kirkman, Azzarello, and a few others
never liked capeshit

I started with Peanuts and Walt Kelly's Pogo as a kid, as dumb as it might seem Peanuts (especially the early '50s issues) or Calvin and Hobbes are really great introductions.

Short-form comics will be much more interesting and "binge-able" than long-form, honestly it's what I prefer as I'm much more into cartoons and a lot of noteworthy animators in television and film came from the format.

>Bryan Lee O'Malley
He did Scott Pilgrim right?

>Calvin and Hobbes
I haven't read them in years maybe I'll see If I can find a big book of them

yeah O'Malley did Scott Pilgrim, among other things

youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw&t=857s

>How did you start with comics Yea Forums?
Learned how to read with my dad's Asterix comics, my cousin's Avenger comics (horribly translated into German) and Lurchi, an anthropromorphized Salamander who solves problems by kicking them with his leather shoes.
Then switched over to the European Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comics.

>but have no idea where to start.
Plenty of good suggestions already.
I'd add Giant Days if you're looking for Slice of Life.
Asterix is pretty great as well for some classsic comedy.

Nothing dumb about Peanuts -- one of the greatest of all time.

Attached: peanuts.jpg (496x426, 73K)

It’s the books that have like 6-12 issues in them. They’re usually in the “”””””””””graphic novel”””””””””” section of the book store. Just buy something with a number 1 on it.

Different user here.
I'm looking for something new. Should I buy Hellboy.
I know Yea Forums won't shut up about it, but is that justified?

read carl barks ducks and then stop because that is literally the best of western comics

The main story is pretty great yeah.
If you are hesitant, most libraries got it stocked for you to check it out for free.

this comic is a meme because of a Youtube video, but I always liked the followup even better.

Attached: 1978-07-28.gif (1200x346, 145K)

I grew up reading comics and manga wasn't really a thing in the US until later. I picked up Star Wars, Simpsons and Uncle Scrooge comics at the supermarket. I also read newspaper comics like Calvin & Hobbes.

Since you like horror you have a lot of options with comics. Wytches is a really creepy short comic which is only six issues. Outcast and Nailbiter are longer series that will hook you and keep you reading. Walking Dead will do the same but it turns to shit after a while, it's a fun ride for a bit though. Ice Cream Man and Black Hole are good if you like surreal horror. If you want something lighthearted with blood and a hot girl read Hack/Slash. If you want something edgy with blood and a hot girl read Lady Death and Purgatori. If you're okay with older comics (some newbies aren't) try Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Well I grew up reading manga, and watching cartoons, and cartoons have quite a few comic adaptions in movies and shows and you get a basic understand to just hop into the source material and learn from there.

or
you could skip all of that and just read image, idw, dark horse, or boom stuff that isn't connected decades of canon.

Any of these are great places to start imo:
Atomic Robo
I hate Fairyland
Bone
The Goon
Hillbilly
Descender
Mouse Guard
Rocketeer

Attached: recs.jpg (3800x3600, 2.94M)

oh right, bump