Where cartoons actually better in the 90's and early 2000's compared to today, or did we just grow up?

Where cartoons actually better in the 90's and early 2000's compared to today, or did we just grow up?

Attached: KellogsBigPick_19_lg.jpg (689x507, 307K)

They were at least better looking than most modern cartoons like OK KO and Steven Universe.

Sometime i gess

Absolutely not, stuff like Steven Universe, Star Vs, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time etc.. is much better than cartoons from back then. Those had actual storylines, character developments and stakes.

>Those had actual storylines, character developments and stakes.
Everything you’ve listed has been disappointing in at least some way.

Kill yourself zoomer.

While all of those shows' high points do leave a good impression, their low points are far worse than any of those beloved shows from decades past had to offer.

It may just be a rose-tinted view, there was plenty of 2000s cartoons that sucked dick.

survivorship bias, remember the good forget the bad

Only in the mid-late 2000s when we entered the dark ages.

Which were bad?

Foster’s Home is the only glaring one that was dog shit

There was more variety at least, in that pic you have
>a comedic show about three wannabe scam artists
>an action show about three little girls fighting giant monsters
>a dark comedy/horror show about a dog protecting his owners from day to day threats
>a comedic show about a macho guy whose idiocy and lack of sense when it comes to women lands him in all sorts of adventures
compare it to most shows airing right now which are all about
>young girl/boy is lost/lives in a magical land which seems silly at first but there's a lot of dark secrets and lore that almost never amounts to anything

Attached: 1446711814069.png (512x368, 276K)

Squirrel Boy
Coconut Fred
Johnny Test
Camp Lazlo
Gym Partner is a Monkey
Buzz on Maggie
Loonatics
Scooby Doo get a clue
Cleveland Show

Sheep in the big city and Mike lu and Og were also pretty shitty.

zoomers must be exterminated

Ah yes. Forgot about johnny test. Lazlo was funny tho, can’t agree with you on that one

camp lazlo was kino

t. Born after 1996

Yes, and?

Name a thing bad about Lazlo that isn’t “not muh Rocko”

I was born in 1989 and I knew tons of shows from back then sucked

This

Lots of shows in the late 2000s/2010s were a breath of fresh air as anything from the 90s or 00s were, it does however just seem like LESS cartoons exist though

PPG, EEnE, and Courage are of higher quality and imagination than anything else I feel I could point to. But the generation that got to catch Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Gumball certainly got something worthwhile. Its the kids in-between that get the real shaft.

the only good thing about camp lazlo was being not rocko

Yes.

They only GOOD things to come from modern times are:
Gumball
Garden Wall
Clone Wars
Young Justice
DC Animation
Regular Show
Flapjack
Mlp
Loud House.
TMNT.
Note: ALL these took YEARS at a time and not on tv all at once. And fuck any zoomer faggots that disagree.

Attached: CollageMaker_20200218_123448200.jpg (1510x883, 772K)

>mlp
You have a containment board for a reason

What did they lack?

Powerpuff Girls.

Oh shut the fuck up faggot. I bet you live TTG and SU.

Zoomer here. no, nu cal arts shit is trash, and that's why most kids watch old stuff on youtube nowadays. btw most nu cartoon fans are milleninals and early zoomers from what i've seen

Weak worldbuilding and characters, Lumpus and Slinkman were the only fleshed out characters.

>most kids watch old stuff on youtube nowadays
most untrue statement i seen today

>Not Harvey Beaks

I think on average they were better, but there were a lot of forgettable cartoon then too. Cartoon Network at least had more good shows back then.

There's probably good reason that I completely stopped watching TV sometime during 2008-2010, and haven't really watched any new shows, or seen many movies since.

Forgot that even existed.

Zoomers don't watch modern cartoons. Get your shit straight.
Calarts shit is more often popular with the same age group as the creators.

my zoomer nephews watch calarts shit

Willingly, or because their boomer parents refuse to "cut the cable" and use streaming service(s)?

why are you so hurt user

This, there are more adult fans to shows like Steven Universe than there are children fans.

Yikes. Please go back

You were born after 9/11 weren't you?

You're missing shows like Chowder and Phineas and Ferb.

They where definitely more omnipresent back then. You didn't watch Johnny Bravo, you watched him in the bumpers and in al kind of merchandise.

A little bit of both.
Action cartoons were amazing back then and I still occasionally run into great ones that hold up today. Animation tended to be much nicer looking before everything went digital. The comedy shows were extremely hit or miss and while I loved Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken and a few others as a kid I would likely find them rather annoying today.
Much like back then today's stuff is an extremely mixed bag but failures seem lot harsher since many shows are so ambitious and it is easy to remember an extreme collapse.

Phineas and Ferb dipped after 3 seasons.

Isn't each episode the same? How did it go downhill?

squirrel boy, johnny test, camp lazo, scooby doo get a clue, my gym partners a monkey and cleveland show was great

Buddy i have a fondness for the shows you just listed but even i think you have shit taste.

So did Nickelodeon.

Not only is what you're saying incorrect, you also seem to have actual shit taste.

>Star vs.
Ruined by ridiculous writing, terrible characterization, and literal genocide
>Steven Universe
The show that took year long breaks after just a few episodes? The show that consistently has trouble staying on model? The show that has retard levels of writing and characterization?

That's my point.

We remember old times fondly because we only remember the good. All the trash of that era has been swept under the rug and forgotten. In the future zoomers will look fondly upon this era because they too will only remember the good.

Show them the good stuff, no kid should grow up with CalArts shit.

Yes, at least in terms of budget. After the economic crisis of '08, studios looked for any reason to cut costs, and cartoons, being one of the most expensive mediums, was the first to feel it.

What got deleted?

Well you definitely didn't grow up.

Thread would be deleted so I'll post it here

There is no female character to compare to Babs Bunny

Attached: 88588827-4cc0-4407-8dd2-773628a74a76.jpg (600x338, 39K)

>tsundere Buttercup

Attached: hqdefault (2).jpg (480x360, 22K)

I want to fuck Babs Bunny.

Seething zoomer.

How? She would transform into your worst fear right before your very eyes

Attached: hqdefault (3).jpg (480x360, 16K)

>She would transform into your worst fear right before your very eyes
Commitment?

Even if she was a nerd who didn't bathe for a few days and had smelly sweater armpits?

Attached: 1cda2c9db79c0c62dc40db81e82b1f0a.jpg (625x546, 79K)

>who didn't bathe for a few days and had smelly sweater armpits?
So Fifi La Fume?

Attached: episode-image-320x180.jpg (320x180, 13K)

Some were, but not all of them by default.

That's not going downhill you retard, most shows would kill for that level of consistency.

Yes.

Is this bait?

That's called bad writing and boring the audience.

Adventure Time is the only one of those shows that i'd recommend. All of the others dropped the ball with their stories or were simply not very good in the first place.

AT got to shit after season 3

muh lesbos

2005 was when CN was shit, they replaced all the great Cartoon Cartoons from OP's pic and replaced them with flat out mediocre shows like Puffy Ami Yumi, My Gym Partner is a Monkey, Juniper Lee, Camp Lazlo, Squirrel Boy etc... hell, Ed Edd n Eddy was the only one that survived against these shit cartoons.

Attached: 1451332513377.png (720x404, 565K)

This gen was as bad as the CN Real gen.

CN Real only had Chowder and Flapjack as their flagship cartoons, but those two were much better than the mid 2000s toons.

Billy and Mandy and Transformers Animated were from that era and they were pretty damn good.
Still doesn't make up for the rest of the chaff though.

Billy and Mandy are from the Cartoon Cartoons era like the ones on OP's pic.

Not really, I’d say it’s about on par with today. I mean there were tons of great shows back then but a lot of them were episodic/comedic. 2010s have been more experimental and I appreciate that.

Fuck you Camp Lazlo was good

It's really not, go watch it again.

Since when is world building important for an episodic comedy series?

Since PPG did it.

You grew up, cartoons are still good today.

Why do people pretend that all the Cartoon Cartoons weren't still on the air by that era? I remember them still airing alongside the new shows often

Attached: 189.png (720x540, 393K)

Attached: 1583197545691.png (720x540, 335K)

Only Ed Edd n Eddy, Billy and Mandy and KND still got new episodes by then, rest of them were were finished.

i think there were just so many MORE cartoons, that its easier to remember good ones

before my family got cable, there were like 10 channels. all of them had cartoons on saturday mornings and on weekday afternoons before dinner. some, like fox, even premiered cartoons on weekdays

we got cable, and for awhile you could still see cartoons on all those broadcast channels. BUT, there was now Cartoon Network with 60 years worth of cartoons to watch. and nickelodeon was kinda the same way for awhile (nick used to be the one with the rerun rights to looney tunes)

but for every johnny bravo, who remembers captain simian and the space monkeys? skeleton warriors? oscar's orchestra? the wacky world of tex avery? the fucking free willy cartoon from the other thread?

there was a lot of shit, a lot of medicore filler, and a lot of good stuff. there was just so much more output

People really underestimate how important those '40s-'50s cartoons were for TV. Even when animation was in the gutter you couldn't go wrong with classic Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry or Popeye.

The '90s-early 2000s era was simply a better time to watch cartoons on TV. You're basically stacking up all the then recent cartoons, the '60s-'80s, and most of the theatrical cartoons from the Golden Age... to just the cartoons made in the last 10-15 years.

Yes. Hell, they were better in the fucking 80s then they are today. I'd sooner that shit like The Wuzzles or Adventures of the Gummi Bears was still around than crap like Breadwinners or Teen Titans Go.

its a real shame CN wont rerun older cartoons on the main channel for some variety
and nick wont rerun anything that isnt spongebob

I liked Edward

I think the reruns pulled animation out of the gutter. You had channels making shows competing with some of the best animation of the past 80 years. On the same channel. The boom was a response to this kind of output in many ways. Other anons are right that most of the shit was swept under the rug of time and the sheer volume of it all made things interesting, but some of them still meet or exceed a history they shared a timeslot with.

The thing I think shifted (besides nostalgia and growing up) was how banal the premises became in seeking increasingly impossible market demographics. I agree with that there was a shift to something unappealing. Like pic related but not specifically that.

Attached: 1583119199018.jpg (561x1200, 169K)

This is actually the second time I've gotten this response.
No, Adventure Time wasn't disappointing because of surprise lesbians. It was disappointing because it literally went nowhere and had no vision despite being praised a precedent setting lore-based cartoon.
Steven Universe also went completely nowhere with filler for multiple episodes at a time, causing me to lose interest and never go back.
Gravity Falls was pretty good, but was disappointing for having a rushed ending instead of the original three season plan.
Star Vs I don't really know much about besides the plot basically ending unsatisfying for a lot of fans.

Casual fans can't find serious flaws in what they like. They can't shit on what they love and don't think about it relative to the medium as a whole. Surprise lesbos is only a symptom of the greater critique and all some can comprehend, only as an insult to their taste at that. I say this having really enjoyed Adventure Time, the rest goes from pretty alright to total garbage.

Spoot.

Attached: Daggett.png (650x650, 42K)