Attached: Wimpy1.jpg (1280x753, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XebF2cgmFmU
youtube.com/watch?v=zaspgmHH4wk
youtube.com/watch?v=dfMQbn2HVTk
skwigly.co.uk/popeye-popular-without-punch/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: Wimpy2.jpg (1280x720, 162K)

I never understood his obsebssion with plain burguers. Like, why only eat a piece of meatwith bread? If they were typical burguers, I get it. But we are talking of just meat & bread. Why he eats only that?

IIRC other ingredients are mentioned across the strip; it's probably just easier to draw the burgers barebones and imply they're the full deal.

Attached: Wimpy 2-1.jpg (1280x758, 139K)

Attached: Wimpy 2-2.jpg (1280x747, 145K)

Someone please crop that fourth panel

I love the prose. I must give these a try.

Attached: wimpy shoots a man for a hamburger 1.jpg (1792x1440, 1.66M)

Attached: wimpy shoots a man for a hamburger 2.jpg (1600x1283, 838K)

I'll do you one better and snap a better quality pic of that panel alone

Attached: A Clean Conscience.jpg (1249x1280, 165K)

The writing is surprisingly strong and often hysterical on account of that.

Attached: Wimpy 3.jpg (1024x812, 579K)

That's our Wimpy

>I'm not mad on you
>You are my friendship
>I enjoy to get shot

I'm crying tears of mirth holy fuck

I understand this one was so over-the-top disgusting that many papers refused to run it.

Attached: Wimpy and the Cow.jpg (1600x1254, 575K)

Thank you

Back when the Sunday comics got half a page or even a full page, it was common for strips to have a "topper", a separate feature running above.
"Thimble Theater" (what we call "Popeye" today) had "Sappo", an eccentric inventor.

Here's the contemporary Ring Doorbell in 1932!
Pretty sophisticated, considering "instant" cameras weren't invented until 1948.

Attached: Sappo 1932-01-31 Ring.jpg (3051x1510, 675K)

I don't buy that, the 30's aren't remembered for their sensibility toward the woes of farm animals

This one's good edit potential

Attached: Men Like You.png (500x393, 445K)

Not Wimpy, but damn if this one didn't stick in my mind

Attached: Roughneck.jpg (1000x1488, 545K)

Metal.

Not bad at all for a future tech prediction!

There's a certain je ne sais quoi to E.C. Segar's approach to dialogue that I don't think anyone in the strip has been able to convingly imitate since.

Attached: D8695B0A-5E3D-4E1C-8050-D196F97D561A.jpg (678x452, 40K)

is it just me or does wimpy talk like that dine and dasher
youtube.com/watch?v=XebF2cgmFmU

>I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today
>It's said in the strip Tuesday is the one day of the week Wimpy doesn't attend the restaurant

lol

First appearance

Attached: C8618A4B-5C78-4839-86D2-789273A448CF.jpg (616x1349, 358K)

Attached: 4615004E-EFB0-449D-9C0C-03C7716939E7.jpg (448x595, 39K)

kek, what an opener

Also known as the day Harold Hamgravy got pushed the fuck out of the universe in Popeye's favor

Best introduction possible.

He lasts a little longer, but his last two appearances he’s just in the background standing around.

This is hilarious, what a snob!!

Shenanigans from every angle, these strips are great

Attached: Melincolick.png (500x393, 499K)

Classic. Its surprising just how well these strips hold up almost a century later.

So this guy was doing olive and castor for an entire decade before Popeye was created. How were those strips? Was Bluto and Wimpy apart of it?

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a (you) today

Attached: F7429924-1015-4FBE-AF19-97C4DA40FF99.jpg (177x325, 8K)

Bluto was an one-off villain in the comics but had one of the most metal introductions ever.

Wimpy started off as a recurring referee character in Sunday strips about Popeye's boxing career and eventually started appearing in the diner comics as well.

Attached: Bluto.png (153x206, 44K)

Attached: Night time in me heart.jpg (825x614, 335K)

There's something about the way these characters talk that is very elegant.

>Quit Hamburgers since my birthday, haven't touched em in a month.
I keep getting hankerings for hamburgers when I pass by burger joints in my town, lord give me strength. forgive me wimpy

Sappo predicted Security doorbells. God damn.

And pretty much took over the Sunday strips.

HE WILLL GLADLY PAY YOU TUESDAY FOR A (You) TODAY!

Attached: Wimpy 3-1.jpg (1280x711, 164K)

Attached: Wimpy 3-2.jpg (1280x631, 146K)

>The jeep storyline

Oh the memories. Anyone know if Fantagraphics is intending to print new issues of the Segar run?

Yeah, the Sunday strips pretty much became Wimpy and His Pal Popeye after a while. It was a while before he even appeared in the dailies; I'm pretty sure the first appearance he made there was in the story where Popeye becomes President of a small island. He applies for a Cabinet position, Popeye hits him with a twelve digit multiplication problem, and Wimpy instantly solves it because math is a trifle.

>shush he's dead so let him be dead

love it

Hey Yea Forums, would you buy me a hamburger?. I'd gladly pay you on Tuesday.

Bah1 Pooey! user flies in my zupe!

They published them all in a six volume set a few years ago. 4&5 are pretty hard to find, however.

Right now they don't even offer 'em on their page; and Amazon only has a couple for sale outright, the others only used. Shame, ideally it should be a series always in print, if in low numbers.

Actually that's wrong, at least the third volume they're still selling. Full MSRP, but very much worth the 30 they're asking for.

Wimpy jews the jew. Based.

Yeah, I have 1-3 and 6. I hope they do a reprint at some point.

If I were to pick up just one volume, which should I get?

Popeye was best when he was still allowed to fight. The censors made him stop fighting. And they made him put a dress on Alice The Goon.

youtube.com/watch?v=zaspgmHH4wk

The movie is very underrated.

Popeye shows up in this Bruce Lee clone film, about ten, eleven minutes in. Played by a Chinese guy, for some reason.
youtube.com/watch?v=dfMQbn2HVTk

You mean in animation?

Man this guy cracks me up. I would never have the presence of mind to make such a speech under those circumstances.

he means in the comics, they never fully neutered Popeye by means of censorship in animation, it mostly got downplayed in his later shorts for budget reasons

At least in the Segar strips Popeye is his brawl happy self to the end, I opened the last volume of Fantagraphics' run and didnt take long before I spotted him socking someone a good one. Granted, it is undeniable he got softened through the years (prompting the creation of Pappy to get the rawer shenanigans back without having to use Popeye himself), but he was still very much allowed to engage in fights. Is perhaps the comment directed at strips that came after Segar passed away?

Also, I'll have to disagree with Popeye's lack of violence in animation responding solely to budget reasons. At the very least the 70's series was explicitly verboten from using violence and was even promoted as such:

skwigly.co.uk/popeye-popular-without-punch/

Attached: Hamburguard.jpg (278x600, 85K)

That file name you've got there is the gem of the ocean

The cadence is at least 50% of the humor. It's such a joy to read aloud to yourself.

The good ones (like this one) do. I've got a book that collects a bunch of examples of strips dating right back to the very first ones and they're a mix of quality, some are completely dated and others could have been written yesterday but for the setting.

Thankee.

Wimpy's one of those guys it would be a nightmare to encounter in real life but safely tucked away on the printed page he's an absolute howler.

Nothing "ages poorly"

Things that are good are good forever, and things that are bad were always bad, but people were just too stupid to see it for a while.