What is the shoegaze of film?

What is the shoegaze of film?

Attached: Natalie+Portman+photo.filmcelebritiesactresses.blogspot-316.jpg (1891x3000, 452K)

Garden State

Pft. No. That's the tepid crossover 00s indie of film. In other words, the very band featured in the film - The Shins.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home.

Drive

Only god forgives

Mumblecore

dishonest flashy flicks with aesthetics over substance

real answer is: naked (1993) one of the best movies of all time

Shoegaze is shit

can you translate this in english please?

Lost in Translation seems to be an attempt to be a shoegaze-y film, and I'd say it succeeds but not perfectly.

Chungking Express probably gets closer, in the tone, blurry camerawork, whimsical dreamgirl, yearning infatuations, etc.

Vertigo comes close as well, thematically, although it cuts a little too deeply on the negative side ultimately. Very dreamy and full of yearning, but it then kills the dream. Hitchcock does though have a lot of very shoegaze moments in his dreamy, glowing shots of women, little moments in Notorious, Rear Window, Rebecca, etc.

Some others that touch on certain relevant themes, aesthetic qualities:
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Summer
Persona - maybe this one most of all, although I don't know if it's emotionally affective enough, always. Sometimes, but Bergman can get pretty cold.
The Double Life of Veronique

Anya Taylor-Joy in Marrowbone is pretty shoegaze-y.

Mumblecore is more like slowcore. It's not quite dreamy enough to be shoegaze.

French New Wave. Murky and open-ended, yet still with popular sensibilities.

by which I really mean "for entry-level psuedo-intellectuals"

It definitely had a big influence on indie aesthetics in general, from the lo-fi production to the cutie middle class dreamgirls with bangs. It's definitely in the mix with shoegaze, since shoegaze draws on indie, but shoegaze also draws on dreaminess and the gothic. Which is where you'd have to factor in Picnic at Hanging Rock, Black Moon, Jean Cocteau, etc. I mean one of the key influences for shoegaze took their name from Cocteau.

Blonde Redhead is my favorite band ever. Fight me

Attached: 1540399711281.jpg (736x919, 106K)

Eric Rohmer is probably the shoegaze-iest of French New Wave, in that it features navel-gazing, upper-middle-class, and very beautiful girls and guys wandering around pretty locations discussing the nuances of their feelings on art, love and philosophy.

Lost in Translation obviously

I agree with Lost in Translation, but would also like to add anything by Godard

The reason Lost in Translation is probably the most obvious answer is it combines blurry city night shots like Wong Kar-Wai with upper middle class strangers discussing love and life like in Eric Rohmer, who are lost and full of ennui, meet in a strange place, share an inspiring, emotionally impactful but very ephemeral experience together, and then depart to face the future with uncertainty.

fpbp. My favourite genre is shoegaze/dream pop and my favourite movie is Garden State

Un lac is another one.

Only Lovers Left Alive

Kevin Shields composing the soundtrack is another probably obvious reason.

David Lynch is of course very dreampop-y. A lot of his aesthetic since Twin Peaks was influenced by qualities in Liz Frazer's voice in a song he heard by Dead Can Dance. The music he basically commissioned Julee Cruise to do was an attempt to capture that vibe and sound when he couldn't get the rights to the Dead Can Dance song.

And also maybe because they used literal shoegaze OST

Oh yeah, I meant to list that among my reasons. She was definitely going for a 'shoegaze movie'. Using Just Like Honey at the end is another tell.

Tree of Life
The Fountain
The Master